MERGED-->stage design drawings, plans, speculation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tkramer

War Child
STAGE DESIGN: How would you draw it?

If they start in arenas, I think that a center stage setup would work well for them. My thoughts:
• center of stage rotates
• four zones of general admission
• four screens that don't
block site lines for upper deck
• two satellite "vertigo stages"
3D images are beamed down onto
these ocassionally (using new vertigo software
we've heard about) when bono isn't
running around on them.

Attachments

• stage.jpg
    stage.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Bono goes everywhere.
Edge works one half, and Adam works the other.
They trade off every 4 or 5 songs. Larry sits in the middle and rotates every now and then. (Pleba girls have to take turns looking slack jawed at his butt)

In the round shows get everyone closer to the band, but I will say logistically it's more work–and the band has to move more, which is more work.

I also think the whole "vertigo" thing works well with circle/round shapes...

I can see it now–

Bono: "Larry, how do you feel about puking nightly?"
Larry: "FOAD."

In all seriousness, I've seen some pretty cool effects done with outer/inner ring rotation on stages. For example, Peter Gabriel would walk the opposite direction of the rotating ring, and he appeared to be getting no where for the whole song.

Thought of another advantage to in-the-round: capacity.
You can put more people in the shed in this kind of set up. (Although I guess they had behind the stage seating for most of the last tour.) Still, I think most in the round set-ups get you more seats...and it's more fair to fans...

Nice work on that, tkramer!

Ya know...before this thread...I hadn't even THOUGHT about stage design. I can't wait to see what this tour brings us. :hyper:

I'm working on another one for an end stage baseball park set up.
(something else I'd like to see u2 do more of).

Think Zoo TV meets atomic war zone meets vertigo.

Here it is.

The right side of the stage is a sort of atomic cityscape gone wrong. The left side is the same city twisted upside down to put forth the vertigo feeling. Between the two scapes are five screens on tracks. The five can come together as one massive screen. (I've seen this done once or twice) Below them is an elevated catwalk Bono can use to work the back of the crowd. He can also spit on Larry, who is ten feet straight down.

The b stage concept is pushed by three catwalks that create two massive pits.

Once again, the song is Streets.

Ps. Can only premium members view these? I can't link in a pic. Anyone is welcome to do that if they want.

Attachments

• stage2copy.jpg
    stage2copy.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 201
I like it .. if I'm being critical I'd say it's too much of a hybrid setup, with elements of previous tours in there. I hope they come up with something totally new and unexpected.

Cheers!
jim

Jim said:
I like it .. if I'm being critical I'd say it's too much of a hybrid setup, with elements of previous tours in there. I hope they come up with something totally new and unexpected.

Cheers!
jim

I completely agree, honestly it was just a good way to kill two hours while waiting for photos from a client yesterday.

If it were any other artist it would pass, but U2 isn't just about spectical, their about doing something no one else ever thought of.

I can't do that in a morning. Maybe in a day. :)

Anyone think they'll tour with an arena stage and a stadium stage? I'm starting to think we'll see both.

FROM U2 TOURS.COM:

Further word out of L.A. is that tickets may go on sale as soon as two weeks from now. The floor will be General Admission. And the Elevation tour's heart will be replaced by a target-shaped stage with the band playing on a circular platform in the middle of the target, and the circular platform will be able to rotate.

All rumors, of course.

--------------------

I might be pretty close after all!

I'd love to see all these stage designs, but they're all posted as attachments. :sad:

Could anybody put these up on the web somewheres?

I expect that the stage design will be "released" when they open in San Diego. All we really know is that there will be GA.

If a premium member would be willing to send me the pictures from this thread, I'd really apprciate it...

gavinjdow@gmail.com

For non-premiums

stage.jpg

stage2copy.jpg

detailview.jpg

Jeez, those are INSANE!! (I mean that as a total compliment)

I would absolutely love to see THAT show. Unfortunately, I doubt U2's set will be half as cool, or tickets would have cost twice what they do.

Back
Top Bottom