MERGED-->Patti Smith spat at Larry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DignityPassesBy said:
Patti Smiths shit anyway ... shes should have been pushed down the stairs i'm tellin' ya

IF you're NOT being sarcastic {since i don't know your postings at all to be able to judge .....} then...........feck off.....you just don't wish that kind of stuff on people in genral.......
I have plenty of r & r performers i dislike INTENSLY...whole reams of certain "hair-bands" and most metal bands, but i don'y go around wishing them injury........... :mad: :madspit:
I don't like spitting either, but if it's not delberately at a person...........

and didn't you read about how other singwers can sometimes spit .........

Last edited:
I don't think she was actually spitting on people :confused:

Not intentionally as I understand it.

I've seen spit come out of Bono's mouth when he sings too. Some singers spit more than others.

I don't understand the anger :huh:

coemgen said:
ultraviolet_j — from Mission eh? I'm in nearby Olathe.

We need to start an interference club, Kansas City chapter.

I like Patti Smith and HelloAngel and the idea of the KC chapter!!!

Otherwise this thread is kinda:crack:

DignityPassesBy said:
you think i'm immature ... SHE WAS SPITTING ON PEOPLE

OH MY GOD SHE SPIT AT SOMEONE!!!11!!!!11 HOW RUDE!!! HOW COULD SHE DO THAT??!?!?!?

She should definitely be pushed down a flight of stairs, along with, I don't know, Bono, Michael Stipe, Chris Martin, any performer EVER.

Seriously, if you're a performer on that level, and you're singing anything with any sort of force at all, you're going to spit once in a while. So, you know, you get someone who's made their musical career in punk rock there might be a little spittle now and then.

Your shock tells me that:

-a- You haven't seen much live music beyond sanitized tv commercials

or

-b- You haven't strayed out of one genre long enough to appreciate different musical styles, if indeed your favourite artists manage to never spit.

Of course, I could've guessed that by your summation of Patti Smith's career as 'shit'. Grow up.

DignityPassesBy said:
I was being sarcastic in the push down the stairs part ... but i really do think she's shit

She is the shit! No one rocks better than Patty. And she can spit on me anytime she wants...why...because she is the shit! :bow:

HelloAngel said:

That is not necessary, and a terrible way to speak about someone. :shame:

i agree, not a nice way to speak about somebody...

but then again i do agree with the original point being made (not the mean-ness, just the point itself)

maybe they should take her off the tour? thats gross her spitting all over the shop!

GIVE ME THE OPENER SLOT BONO!!! :D

I just find this story very bizarre and although I don't believe everything I read or hear, I hope much of this is speculation and that these things didn't happen like spitting on stage or any members of U2 being upset about a support performer. I am sure there will come forth some explanation at some point on this.

I was on the front rail of the ellipse for both nights. Patti Smith definitely spat on the stage A LOT, however I never saw her spit at any band members. She spit more on the second night thatn the first night. There was one point where she spit forward, but her loogie landed on the floor between the mainstage and the ellipse front rail. It did not end up on anyone.

However, the second night she took a mouthful of water and spit it out on the stage. It richocheted off the stage, right into my face. I wanted to :barf: at that moment. Dizzy (Sheila) was right behind me for that.

During her set I did see her take a sip of some water and just spit the entire mouthful out. But spitting on fans or band members I did not see. I didnt even see her spit at all when she came out with U2.:huh:

WinnieThePoo said:
we need pics and more comments from people who were there

I just got a chance to watch the video I took of Instant Karma last night (11/22). It's three clips totalling about 5 minutes of the approximate 7 minute performance. (I was trying to save battery power for the last song!! :huh:) Anyway, the worst that I caught on video was what appears to be Patti Smith hitting Larry's cymbals during IK's second chorus (correctly timed as well). Mind you, the video is very shaky, because, by then, I was tired from two nights' worth of taping. :wink: But the point is, from the video I took, there is no Patti spitting episode. I and my sister were in the back of the ellipse behind the grassy knoll.

It does appear that Bono was pissed that Patti never sang her parts. In fact, in one instance, Bono POINTS at his teleprompter to signal to Patti that it's her turn. She dropped the ball, and Bono ends up singing the beginning of the third full verse.

The only parts I did not tape were Patti's mid-song rant and the time after the band had left the stage during IK (The Edge lightly continued strumming the IK riff) only to return a few seconds later.

The Zapruder film, it's not, but it's something. :| (Hmm... I wonder how many people actually caught the reference!)

MTEdge said:

It does appear that Bono was pissed that Patti never sang her parts. In fact, in one instance, Bono POINTS at his teleprompter to signal to Patti that it's her turn. She dropped the ball, and Bono ends up singing the beginning of the third full verse.

Sorry MTEdge, I was on the front rail of the ellipse for both shows. Bono was not pissed, however he did point to the teleprompter in hopes of prompting her to sing her lines.
I think she did to Bono what Bono has doing to this band for the last 25 years. There have been times when Bono goes off into his own little world and Edge, Larry and Adam are left looking like WTF? I think they're all used to it by now. :wink:

u2forlife said:

Sorry MTEdge, I was on the front rail of the ellipse for both shows. Bono was not pissed, however he did point to the teleprompter in hopes of prompting her to sing her lines.
I think she did to Bono what Bono has doing to this band for the last 25 years. There have been times when Bono goes off into his own little world and Edge, Larry and Adam are left looking like WTF? I think they're all used to it by now. :wink:

What I want to know is how the heck did you get front rail for two straight shows! I thought my getting in the ellipse two nights in a row was an accomplishment! :wink: (Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet since I got to both shows after 8 pm. But hey... ellipse is ellipse, baby!)

Otherwise, I can't argue against your vantage point! (Hope to see you in Boston.)

its terrible, this smiths spitting is all over the place here in south america, and a lot of people are seriously considering going to the shows in 06'..no:....so there could be a danger in hitting the 300 million or so mark if this individual is not jailed or caught
People are even thinking the spitting its part of the show, so i dont wanna see them saving their money to go and see the final Pandora's tour down here instead
would be a f...shame:tsk:

MTEdge said:
What I want to know is how the heck did you get front rail for two straight shows!
Hi MTEdge :wave: We will meet in Boston :yes:

:shrug: I have been very lucky on this leg of the tour. However, I don't think this luck is isolated to just me. Others have commented on being able to scan into the ellipse many more times than the first leg.

Did anyone see when Patti fell flat on her back with her legs up in the air? She was walking backwards, tripped over one of 4 teleprompter thingies on stage, fell flat on her back and both her legs flew up in the air. Then, her stagehand rushes over over to help, but she's crawling around on the floor. She finally emerged with the microphone cord wrapped around her. I think the stagehand wanted to die laughing :giggle:, but that wouldn't be professional :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom