MERGED-->Patti Smith spat at Larry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aardvark747 said:
Why bring her onstage anyway? If I go to a U2 concert, i'd like to see U2 and U2 only.

Just me I guess...

Because U2 wanted to perform with a rock and roll legend, one who likely has had a huge influence on them?

Reminds me of Manchester's Elevation show when the band left the stage after playing One and didn't come back out for Walk On, then the houselights came up. It was really weird at the time, there was a strong sense in the crowd something had happened with Bob. Very emotional.

I posted this in the review section--but my perspective on htis whole thing was alittle different from behind the stage...

Bono got this idea to leave the stage mid song, have the audience carry it, and then maybe come back out and continue. The problem? NOBODY ELSE seemed to know what he was trying to do. He practically dragged Patti off of the stage, the band looked lost, and at that point Edge didnt look amused as he had all night. In addition when they came back out Bono was wildly gesturing ot Larry ot kick back in on the song....
I think every one miught have gotten alittle miffed at Bono's surprise--which might have led to the cut short encore....

Originally posted by Aardvark747
Why bring her onstage anyway? If I go to a U2 concert, i'd like to see U2 and U2 only.

Just me I guess...

Learn some New York rock history (as well as Interscope records history, the label home of your beloved U2) and you might be able to answer this question for yourself. But of course to do this you will have to look outside your box.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

well we are in a thread about the potential misbehavior of an opening act when brought on stage... so of course the potential lies on wether or not the comment was based on kanye's talent level or based upon his potential to not behave...

I think that's quite a stretch, Headache... I interpretted it pretty clearly as that the person didn't like his talent. Still, I guess if you interpretted it that way, then I guess other folks could as well... :shrug:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nube Gris
they should get rid of that drunk bitch, that spitting is awful

It's also awful to be ignorant.

Utoo said:

I think that's quite a stretch, Headache... I interpretted it pretty clearly as that the person didn't like his talent. Still, I guess if you interpretted it that way, then I guess other folks could as well... :shrug:

well it is a thread about patti smith misbehaving, so why kanye would be brought up at all is a question.

perhaps i was stretching.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

well it is a thread about patti smith misbehaving, so why kanye would be brought up at all is a question.

perhaps i was stretching.

well, to be fair, if we're talking about misbehaving, kanye did have that whole thing during the Hurricaine Katrina TV benefit... i personally would love to see him onstage with U2- could be very cool. :up:

it will be very interesting to see the crowd's reaction to Kanye in Salt Lake City... even here in liberal NYC, patti smith got quite a few boos when she did her little anti-Iraq War bit on 11/21.

People, people. COME ON.

What happened last night:

[copied from email]

Vertigo air had to get going by midnight or they'd have fees and such leveed on them. Is that how you even spell that word?

Anyway, they started a little late, and by the time they'd made it to Instant Karma they'd already skipped over Yahweh, which we were supposed to get. So they took Patti on stage for IK, and again it was totally going off... but there was that time thing. So the audience was just... unbelieveably loud, and Bono led Patti off-stage (think 40 where they just walk away.) And the others all followed. I think this is where Patti's 'strange behaviour' comes in, because she was just confused- it wasn't a planned exit at all, and she didn't understand what he was doing. I'd guess off-stage they were like, 'do we come on for 40 or don't we, do we/don't we' and they decided not to, all came back on (presumably after briefing PS on what just happened) and Bono/PS start up the chorus again, full band kicks in, just going at it, and that was it. Lights stayed on for a long time before they raised house lights, and they had most of the stage deconstructed by the time Cheryl and I got out off the main floor.

Addendum:

She was fine during her set. She crawled on the ground a bit, and if she spit, so what? It wasn't offensive projectile spitting. I've seen her perform a few times before she opened for U2... it's just part of how she acts and had nothing to do with the night itself.

youd think if they start late (which is weird in the first place since they even moved up the start time, so youd think they would start on time) that Bono would just cut back his :blahblah: instead of a weird ending like that

withashout said:

Learn some New York rock history (as well as Interscope records history, the label home of your beloved U2) and you might be able to answer this question for yourself. But of course to do this you will have to look outside your box.

Some people just dislike seeing guest performers. While I enjoy it myself. Lots of people dislike it actually.

He was just stating his preference. No need to be condescending.

Why did Patti Smith spit at Larry?

I heard from a friend who overheard it from a guy on the bus who was watching the show via closed-circut TV that Patti teased Larry that he played the drums and therefore had no brains. Larry then flipped her the bird... apparently that's when she spat at him. Then Bono went into damage-control mode and took everyone backstage and talked (I heard this part from a guy who spoke to a security guard on the metro) it over... then they came back to play the final verse.

i always trust the source of a guy who is a friend of a guy who overheard something from a guy on a bus who watches concerts via closed circuit TVs.

edit - oops, u2stw beat me to it

withashout said:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

Just me I guess...

As I said - "just me I guess":wave:

she never spat at anybody, they left the stage and if you listened over the crowd and through the PA you could still hear bono singing faintly from under the stage kind of egging the crowd on still, and you could also hear edge's guitar too as he walked with it under the stage instead of handing it off like adam handed off his bass guitar, so it was completly planned like that.

I heard from a friend who overheard it from a guy on the bus who was watching the show via closed-circut TV that Patti teased Larry that he played the drums and therefore had no brains. Larry then flipped her the bird... apparently that's when she spat at him. Then Bono went into damage-control mode and took everyone backstage and talked (I heard this part from a guy who spoke to a security guard on the metro) it over... then they came back to play the final verse.

Originally posted by Nube Gris
they should get rid of that drunk bitch, that spitting is awful

"That is not necessary, and a terrible way to speak about someone"

Sorry Hello Angel but any kind of spitting its not tolerable....
But i like you:sexywink: your'e always defending women.... that's a great thing:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom