MERGED-->magic tricks part of tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaxFisher

War Child
magic tricks part of tour?

U2log.com is reporting the following..

While the Elevation tour was about getting back to basics, the Vertigo tour will be about spectacle. A source has revealed to The Mirror that U2’s tour will employ five video screens, a huge sound system, more than 3,000 lights (probably 2,000 will light Bono alone), and — get this! — special effects designed by some of the world’s top magicians. Images of Larry being sawed in half and Edge pulling a rabbit out of his beanie are popping into our head.

All of this spectacle will come to us fans at great expense to the band. It will cost a reported EUR1million (US$1.3 million) a night to stage the show.

While I dont doubt that the setup will be more elaborate than Elevation I do have a hard time believing they are going to spend that much money.

I think they learned a hard economic lesson from Popmart which is the basis of the "stripped down" Elevation tour. 1.3 million per night would be more than 1/3 of the revenue coming right off the top.

I guess we shall see....

zootv cost 125,000 a night

popmart was 250,000 a night

man i cant wait, i love spectacles

i think they will go for something more "large" than the elevation tour, just have a feeling

does bono really need 2000 lights on him?

quite the ego the man has

:ohmy: :hyper: :applaud: :rockon:

I can't wait...

..oh yeah, I'm in the minority that didn't/don't like the stage on Elevation tour.... I want magic, special FX and all that fireworks back... :)

Although I'm surprised that POPMart cost more then ZooTV did, I'm even more surprised about this one costing 6 times the amount of POPMart. I'd like to see a breakdown of where all that extra money is going, because it's certainly not that much more for the stage show. Inflation hasn't been THAT bad.

No way in hell.

laz

lazarus said:
Although I'm surprised that POPMart cost more then ZooTV did, I'm even more surprised about this one costing 6 times the amount of POPMart. I'd like to see a breakdown of where all that extra money is going, because it's certainly not that much more for the stage show.

You'd be surprised to learn how much it costs to actually dismantle an atomic bomb. :wink:

The New Kids on the Block had a Magic Tour...

:eyebrow:

I am sure this will be classier if indeed true :wink:

Last edited:
so then are we going to have a magical mystery tour trippy remix music (that no one will ever be able to find) introducing the band this time:wink:

ug, i hope this is made up. What is wrong with the band turning up, playing 20-odd songs and leaving again. Maybe some lights or some basic stage design but not too much, I'm there for the music, not for an elaborate stage show. :(

popmart was more than 250,000 a night. I believe it was closer to a million and they went on to regret staging that massive of a production.

RA-D said:
ug, i hope this is made up. What is wrong with the band turning up, playing 20-odd songs and leaving again. Maybe some lights or some basic stage design but not too much, I'm there for the music, not for an elaborate stage show. :(

I think you pretty much summed up the Elevation Tour. Other than the genius idea (suggested by Adam of course) of putting fans inside the heart, Elevation was a very straight forward approach that worked extremely well.

Realistically, I think it might be a given that a "fans inside a stage idea" be repeated for this tour, but everything else will change. That is a fact of U2 tours. Its really about new ideas and new experiences. I loved Elevation. It was a great show. However, now I am ready for something a little more complex.

Now that I think of it, it only makes sense that a visual simulation of an exploding atomic bomb at least presents itself to the designers of the show at some point. I'm not suggesting a simple black and white video screen of an atomic bomb exploding. I'm talking about how to get the fancy lighting effects to pull it off.

I heard they come out to stage to the sound of a ticking timer, very 24 esque. During the show they have certain "tasks" and "scenarios" that have to be performed during songs in order to dismantle the bomb. If they don't the bomb goes off and U2 doesn't come out for an encore.

Back
Top Bottom