MERGED-->magic tricks part of tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
amarks86 said:
This could explain the long gaps between shows rather than just a day or two between cities.

Don't think so.

21 May - New York
22 May - Philadelphia
24 May - Boston

Though I'm not familiar with transit times in the States so maybe those moves are insignificant when compared to others that have longer moves earlier in the tour ...

If Bono comes out dressed as a carnival barker I may have to leave the premises.

While I hope there is some spectacle to the show, making it too over the top would definitely conflict with the image the band has been putting out since 2000. No frills, back to basics, etc. There's plenty of opportunities for some creative design without turning it into a circus (figuratively or literally).

But if they DID...Larry would make a great lion tamer.

laz

Stage Information

Just thought I would post this article here for those who havent seen it.

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=3758

The Biggest Thing: U2 aiming for new high in Vertigo Tour

The Mirror, February 16, 2005

Paul Martin

TODAY I can reveal the secrets of U2's amazing new tour which will take the world by storm.

The band are set to put on their most explosive shows ever which will cost over EUR1million a night to stage.

A top Vertigo tour insider told me they are planning their most elaborate stage design to date.

He said: "There is going to be a total of over 3,000 lights, their biggest sound system and five video screens.

"On top of that there will be special effects which top magicians are being brought in to choreograph.

"This is the biggest show that a rock band have ever taken on the road- the costs involved are huge.

"We're talking about EUR1million a night between the actual stage effects, electricity and road staff. There will be 120 road crew who come on tour and set it all up at each venue. On top of that there will be a personal assistant for each member of the band, a top team of accountants, a wardrobe consultant and two press officers."

The show will be a stark contrast to their Elevation world tour four years ago when they got back to basics.

They played more intimate arenas and stripped down the effects and stage design to more modest levels.

The band have sold out two nights at Croke Park in June and are being tipped to add a third.

The source added: "The rehearsals for the tour are going well. It's going to be a visual musical feast which sets new standards."

(c) MGN Ltd. 2005

Maybe the band are guilty about the ticket mix-up and want to really put on the best tour of their career.

i'm all for a big spectacle of a show! popmart was my favorite u2 show in part, of course, due to the phenomenal "show". elevation was fantastic and i've no complaints whatsoever but popmart always sticks in my head as the quintessential u2 tour.

Last edited:
I'm not reading this as it being magicians brought in to teach this band how to saw a drummer in half (title of the next CD, anyone?), but moreso to be able to pull off whatever other kinds of visual trickery will be in store.

Should be pretty cool though.

The Biggest Thing: U2 Aiming for New High in Vertigo Tour

Paul Martin

Today I can reveal the secrets of U2's amazing new tour which will take the world by storm.

The band are set to put on their most explosive shows ever which will cost over EUR1million a night to stage.

A top Vertigo tour insider told me they are planning their most elaborate stage design to date.

He said: "There is going to be a total of over 3,000 lights, their biggest sound system and five video screens.

"On top of that there will be special effects which top magicians are being brought in to choreograph.

"This is the biggest show that a rock band have ever taken on the road- the costs involved are huge.

"We're talking about EUR1million a night between the actual stage effects, electricity and road staff. There will be 120 road crew who come on tour and set it all up at each venue. On top of that there will be a personal assistant for each member of the band, a top team of accountants, a wardrobe consultant and two press officers."

The show will be a stark contrast to their Elevation world tour four years ago when they got back to basics.

They played more intimate arenas and stripped down the effects and stage design to more modest levels.

The band have sold out two nights at Croke Park in June and are being tipped to add a third.

The source added: "The rehearsals for the tour are going well. It's going to be a visual musical feast which sets new standards."

:hyper:

Exciting news about the Vertigo Tour

Paul Martin

Today I can reveal the secrets of U2's amazing new tour which will take the world by storm.

This sounds like they are looking to beat their previous landmark tours, Zoo TV and PopMart. Maybe they decided that after the ticket fiasco they would put on a big show, on a massive scale, to pay back the fans. I think it would have been really disappointing if the tour was going to be similar to the Elevation Tour, that was great in what it was trying to achieve, but i missed the excitement and stage props of PopMart. I also heard that the stage will be circular and will rotate 360 degrees while the band is playing.

So many effects but the band needs to back it up with a great performance. I hope Bono's voice can hold up to the rigors of touring. He is in his mid-40s after all.

Cheers,

J

i hope these articles aren't building up our expectations too much. but it still sounds like it's going to be a cool show.

I was hoping for it to be more Elevation-esque. I like the idea of the more intimate setting.

Yeah, i'm rock'n'roll.

Tying all this into a visual along with the album title means they will have to play the trippy, Bono-rapping "Fast Cars", so that we can hear "They're in the desert to dismantle an Atomic Bomb"...

Do you think we'll get some concrete information about the stage before this thing kicks off in San Diego? Or will we just have to wait for the reviews after the first show?

I'm bursting at the seems to find out what the deal is. Since we haven't heard anything official, I'm thinking they're keeping it a secret because it's THAT AWESOME....:rockon:

ZOO tv

I am with you totally. Its just...i dont think so. Nothing ever remains the same,,and ZOO tv was the most brilliant idea.
Although i am in love with young U2 ....

lazarus said:
If Bono comes out dressed as a carnival barker I may have to leave the premises.

While I hope there is some spectacle to the show, making it too over the top would definitely conflict with the image the band has been putting out since 2000. No frills, back to basics, etc. There's plenty of opportunities for some creative design without turning it into a circus (figuratively or literally).

But if they DID...Larry would make a great lion tamer.

laz
No no no this tour MUST me a gaudy spectacle.

I want to see Bono fighting with a huge inflatable dragon, Mick Jagger style, dammit! :wink:

Axver said:

Don't think so.

21 May - New York
22 May - Philadelphia
24 May - Boston

Though I'm not familiar with transit times in the States so maybe those moves are insignificant when compared to others that have longer moves earlier in the tour ...

maybe they've got 2 stages, like last stones tour.

Numb1075 said:
Do you think we'll get some concrete information about the stage before this thing kicks off in San Diego? Or will we just have to wait for the reviews after the first show?

I'm bursting at the seems to find out what the deal is. Since we haven't heard anything official, I'm thinking they're keeping it a secret because it's THAT AWESOME....:rockon:

we'll hear vague reports before the first show, but won't actually know exactly until after the first show, just like last tour.

Speaking of magic tricks, didn't Bono "disappear" into the video wall leaving only his frozen shadow at the end of The Fly at some shows on Elevation? How'd he do that?

my inside sources are now telling me that David Blane will be behind the "magic tricks", and an appearance by the Super Best Friends can not be ruled out either.

Back
Top Bottom