MERGED-->magic tricks part of tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the average gross that is expected for shows on the first leg is around 1.7 million. This would take a huge bite out of that.

Not that I'm complaining of course! The fans would be getting a whole lot more out of their money and it would be glorious:drool:

Last edited:
One of the reasons that I love U2 is that they don't need a "spectacle" to attract their fans. Other pop artists need to have some kind of a spectacle in order to bring value to their audience. U2, on the other hand, brings musical value. I'd rather they put their stock into that rather elaborate spectacles. It just sounds too cheesy to me. I want the emotion , passion, and annointing that U2 exudes. Everything else is just show.

Roland of Gilead said:
Now that I think of it, it only makes sense that a visual simulation of an exploding atomic bomb at least presents itself to the designers of the show at some point. I'm not suggesting a simple black and white video screen of an atomic bomb exploding. I'm talking about how to get the fancy lighting effects to pull it off.

LOL, huge explosions, countdowns, and fuses going off. They should leave 5-10 minutes of just explosions going off.

Lights go down
(Crowd goes crazy)
Intro music begins
(Crowd really going crazy)
Deep robot voice comes over the PA
"Good evening Ladies and Gentleman, prepare for the dismantling of the Atomic Bomb. Bono, Adam, Edge, and Larry commence preparation of the procedure with a dose Vertigo.
(Crowd in :drool: )
All screens then countdown
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5. 4, 3, 2, 1
(Crowd counting down)
Nothing happens
Robot voice comes back on
"Disengage automatic countdown and replace with manual countdown. Bono proceed"
Bono comes out with band kicking in
"Unos, dos, tres, catorce"
While Vertigo is played fireworks and fire go off.

Ok maybe not :|

boosterjuice said:
One of the reasons that I love U2 is that they don't need a "spectacle" to attract their fans. Other pop artists need to have some kind of a spectacle in order to bring value to their audience. U2, on the other hand, brings musical value. I'd rather they put their stock into that rather elaborate spectacles. It just sounds too cheesy to me. I want the emotion , passion, and annointing that U2 exudes. Everything else is just show.

True, but I also love how U2 doesn't need a spectacle, but they do it anyway. It's almost like they do it to keep themselves interested in what they're doing. I know Edge is a big techie and loves this stuff, and Bono gets pumped up knowing the show is state-of-the-art. All in all, I wouldn't care that much if the show isn't a spectacel because U2 is THAT good live. The fact that they're doing it, though, just makes me even more excited.

zoopop said:
Lights go down
(Crowd goes crazy)
Intro music begins
(Crowd really going crazy)
Deep robot voice comes over the PA
"Good evening Ladies and Gentleman, prepare for the dismantling of the Atomic Bomb. Bono, Adam, Edge, and Larry commence preparation of the procedure with a dose Vertigo.
(Crowd in :drool: )
All screens then countdown
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5. 4, 3, 2, 1
(Crowd counting down)
Nothing happens
Robot voice comes back on
"Disengage automatic countdown and replace with manual countdown. Bono proceed"
Bono comes out with band kicking in
"Unos, dos, tres, catorce"
While Vertigo is played fireworks and fire go off.

Allow me to modify this idea. Does everyone remember the original website for the album that just had a digital ticker counting down? what if the band had one of those appear right after the opening act is done playing? That way people wouldn't be wondering how long it's going to take U2 to come out, and would just make the excitement exponentially more intense as it winds down.

U2 doesn't have drug habits like other bands, they aren't backstage fucking groupies or whatever. There's nothing that they really have to do before going on that would take up random amounts of time each night. I'd say their road crew has the equipment switch down pretty tight that a set time limit with a buffer built in would be easy to follow.

laz

Spectacle yes. U2 is the only band these days that could pull some spectacle. I loved Popmart. U2 are also known for really pushing the limits. And it's fun to listen to non-u2-fans talking about how insane it was after they went to the concert. Yes ... push some limits!

This news reminds me of the original ZOO TV plans, when Bono and Co. wanted a french circus group to performe while they are playing their songs backlited by all of the TV's. But the clowns, trapesists and others were scraped because they just couldn't fit them in the gig conceptualy, so all that was left was those teriffic trabants...

I read that In B.P. Fallon book, and I think in the "End of the world" book...

Shari, your thing with the penguins (above) gave me the best laugh of the day. Man, that's great. Where'd you find it?

By the way, I think that spectacle is probably the wrong word. They'll put on an awesome show. The Elevation tour was about proving that they could just walk out on a stage, play rock & roll, walk off the stage with the crowd screaming (and not have spent anywhere near as much money as PoPmart to accomplish that task).

So, mission accomplished. But now, they'll put more money into it. But I think that technology is cheaper now. So, they can do more for less. I remember hearing that the then state of the art Popmart screens cost $6million each (and they had two of them on the road).

If I were to venture a guess, I'll bet that part of the stage design will include video screens on the floor of the stage (like we saw with the Paul McCartney Super Bowl half-time show). Plus, lots and lots of lights. Personally, I think that the highlight of the "light show" will come with "City of Blinding Lights" (which I think will be the new replacement for "Where the Streets Have No Name"). I think that the "light show" will go nuts during COBL.

Last edited:
Everyone knows tricks are for kids, give me soul and passion.

Actually I don't mind a spectacle....if I'm going to see KISS, but U2 I dunno, it kinda distracts from the music for me. I loved Zoo TV, I liked Popmart, I completely love and worshipped UF/JT and Elevation Tours.

I missed both ZooTV (exams) and PopMart (night before Thanksgiving in the U.S.), so I've never seen a "U2 spectacle". I would love it if I got a chance to see it. As a visual artist I love really good visuals.

magic?

the "big" magic show concept doesnt make sense...why would they sell tickets based on a 360 degree view if 1/5th of the audience couldnt see it....correct me if im wrong but niether zoo or pop had seats behind the stage....I sure dont remember any, but then again i was in awe...

I can believe everthing i read on u2log, even the magicians helping with the ideas (well, maybe...). But 1.3 million, nah....I think this tour will be some kind of spectacle, but somewhere between Elevation and Popmart, nothing more.

Stripped down again or elaborate, either way is cool with me.

boosterjuice said:

It is U2 that invented a "spectacle"...

After those few years when I play my ZooTV or PopMart videos I still am "watching" them and listening to them (that's why you release videos/DVDs in the first place), when I play Elevation from Boston or Slane I only listen to them... there's nothing to watch... in fact I have ripped the audio from DVD and I'm listenig to mp3s only...

the magic trick was a month ago-

they made $380 disappear from you checking account right before your eyes

i think this tour will be really be special..
ive paid for my ticket like everyone else
im sure the concert will justify the price's
and the suport bands

its gonna be up there with Zoo tv
popmart was ok Elevation was ok
for stage design ect

this 'Vertigo tour' will be mind blowing

the Staduim shows will no doubt
be the best to see

only 6weeks or less forthe indoor
shows :))

BB Mac

Roland of Gilead said:

Other than the genius idea (suggested by Adam of course) of putting fans inside the heart, Elevation was a very straight forward approach that worked extremely well.

I remember reading that touring talks for the stage setup for Elevation tour, Bono drew the heart (from the upside down turned Popmart arch) that would later become the stage setup. Wasn't it his idea?

As for this article, somehow I don't think U2 will ever spend as much money as they did on Popmart. Yes, probably new effects and screens (like Willie Williams and Adam said), but nothing on scale of Zoo TV or Popmart.

I would like to know where this rumor came from because it hasn't been identified by any other sources.

U2log has been both right and wrong before.

U2girl said:

I remember reading that touring talks for the stage setup for Elevation tour, Bono drew the heart (from the upside down turned Popmart arch) that would later become the stage setup. Wasn't it his idea?

Making of Elevation from Elevation: Boston DVD. Adam took the heart stage idea (if it was Bono's originally) and made it hollow so that fans actually filled the heart itself.

I love Elevation but it missed visual effects. If we are talking only about music it was almost ideal. Performance were great and I love how they reinvented some songs like The Fly, Gone or Bullet The Blue Sky. However I miss shows like ZooTV and Popmart. They are my two favourite tours. People are not going to concerts just to listen music but also to WATCH. I'm all for big, megalomianiac spectacles :D

editorinchief said:
popmart was more than 250,000 a night. I believe it was closer to a million and they went on to regret staging that massive of a production.

It was actually $214,000 per night, even if there was not a show. The entire cost of the POPMART tour was around $70,000,000. But the band Grossed $171,000,000 giving the band the largest sum of money they had ever earned from a tour at that point in time.

FullonEdge2 said:
I would like to know where this rumor came from because it hasn't been identified by any other sources.

U2log has been both right and wrong before.

It's from the Mirror - this is the article in full:

The Mirror
16th February 2005

THE BIGGEST THING;
U2 AIMING FOR A NEW HIGH IN VERTIGO TOUR

by PAUL MARTIN

TODAY I can reveal the secrets of U2's amazing new tour which will take
the world by storm.

The band are set to put on their most explosive shows ever which will
cost over EUR1million a night to stage.

A top Vertigo tour insider told me they are planning their most
elaborate stage design to date.

He said: "There is going to be a total of over 3,000 lights, their
biggest sound system and five video screens.

"On top of that there will be special effects which top magicians are
being brought in to choreograph.

"This is the biggest show that a rock band have ever taken on the road
- the costs involved are huge.

"We're talking about EUR1million a night between the actual stage
effects, electricity and road staff.

"There will be 120 road crew who come on tour and set it all up at each
venue.

"On top of that there will be a personal assistant for each member of
the band, a top team of accountants, a wardrobe consultant and two
press officers."

The show will be a stark contrast to their Elevation world tour four