MERGED --> Live//aid...... + I Predict : Best "Bad" ever Live Aid 2+Live Aid 2??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottyT

Refugee
Live//aid......

so Bono went off about Live Aid and how it was huge for their career and how Philly was a big part of the concert....

then he made some great cryptic statements about how to pay attention to things in the next few weeks and to look out around July 4th.......

was i hallucinating?

"Live 8" is rumored for early July, timed to coincide with a G8 meeting later in the week. I think the Stones and U2 are rumored to headline it?

http://pollstar.com/news/viewnews.pl?NewsID=3998

Live 8 Is A Go. Or Is It?
Updated 03:09 PDT Sat, May 14 2005

Despite LD Publicity chief Bernard Doherty saying, "I can't possibly comment, we're in limbo on this," and The Times (London) quoting Bob Geldof as saying another Live Aid would happen "over my f***ing dead body," it seems both are working on an event to draw attention to Third World debt.

As reported, it appears this event will be called Live 8, an amalgamation of "Live Aid" and G8. It looks likely to happen just days before world leaders meet for the G8 Summit at Gleneagles, Scotland (July 6-8), and will replace this year's Prince's Trust's Party In The Park.

A May 9 press release from The Prince's Trust, which says it's asked The Times to retract the part of its story that says this year's Party In The Park had already been scrapped due to poor ticket sales, has the charitable trust's chief exec Martina Milburn saying, "The Prince's Trust is delighted to support Live 8 and we look forward to Party in the Park next year."

The same press release also says Capital FM (which partners The Prince's Trust on Party In The Park), will play a key role in the event from the outset, providing services at no cost, including the ticketing of the event and broadcasting live from backstage for commercial radio across the U.K.

Capital FM MD Keith Pringle reportedly said, "London loves Party In The Park, but sometimes you have to do the right thing and step aside for the greater good."

Following the May 5 Pollstar report suggesting July 3 had been pencilled for a major outdoor show to draw attention to Third World debt, The Sun and BBC News (May 7) ran stories on the likelihood of the event happening.

Although BBC News reported Geldof describing stories about the event as "kite flying" and saying, "It is just talk," the news service also quoted his spokeswoman as saying the Live Aid Trust had been "discussing the plans to hold an event around the time of the G8 summit."

U2 and The Rolling Stones have been rumoured to be on the bill but Clear Channel-Solo chief John Giddings, who is agent for both, couldn't be contacted for comment at press time.

Doherty and other Live Aid trustees including original U.K. promoter Harvey Goldsmith and (then) music biz lawyer John Kennedy (now chairman and chief exec of the International Federation Of Phonographic Industries) are expected to discuss the project further during the next few days.

It's believed the original preferred show date for Live 8 was July 8, while the G8 Summit is still taking place, but Queen + Paul Rodgers play Hyde Park on that day and U2 will be between sold-out shows at Berlin Olympic Stadium (7) and Paris Stade de France (9).

It would have been difficult to shift either Live 8 or Party In The Park to a week later (July 10) as a V-E 60th anniversary commemorative event is slotted for the neighbouring Horse Guards' Parade.

U2, Madonna, and Queen in the same concert...

:drool:

...at least I read about Madonna being a part of it somewhere. I don't know how good Queen would be without Freddie Mercury...

Last edited:
matt_tx00 said:
U2, Madonna, and Queen in the same concert...

:drool:

...at least I read about Madonna being a part of it somewhere. I don't know how good Queen would be without Freddie Mercury...

They would be shite. AND without John Deacon of course, let's not forget.

He did mention July 4 but the comment was more rambling than cryptic, IMO.

I am aware of the rumored Live8 thing, so I briefly thought along the same lines as you did. On second thought though, I thought the July 4 reference was more a nod to Philladelphia's historical significance in American History. He was trying to motivate the local crowd to his ONE agenda by stirring their sense of pride in their city's history. He segued somehow from his memory that Philly was also home to this historically significant benefit concert, his first memories of America and then went on to loosely tie that to Philly's place in American History.

Here's my paraphrase:

....earlier today someone reminded us that Live Aid (US portion) was held in Philly nearly 20 years ago...blah, blah something...we were in Wembley Stadium not in America...blah, blah, er um something....as a boy my first memory of America was Neil Armstrong walking on the moon...called upon today's leaders (mentions Dubya, Blair) to lead as JFK did (led a drive to put a man on the moon in the 60's) to lead to end world poverty....something, something....not to put a man on the moon but to put mankind back on Earth(?)....think about this July 4....

I could be merging separate ramblings though
:confused:

Better not be on bloody 2nd July. Everyone will be in Scotland holding hands!

Yeah to the above, Queen is pretty crummy with that Paul Rogers bloke.

So, if the Stones and U2 are on the bill, whenever and wherever, who headlines?

Do the Stones get top billing for a deeper, broader impact on rock and roll? Or does U2 get the nod for more recent relevance and, perhaps significantly, more work at core of what Live 8 would be aoubt?

This could get interesting -- my take -- Bono and U2 cede to the Stones, even though they know damn well top billing should belong to them?

Thoughts? Flames?

(runs for cover)

I don't care who gets top billing but I would love to see Bono and Mick playing off each other on stage. Probably 2 of the most dynamic rock n roll performers ever along with Bruce. That would be so cool.:drool:

but what would the play?...

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
One
Crumbs From Your Table

I Predict : Best "Bad" ever Live Aid 2

Ya that's right.
They'll do two songs - the first will be a standard, probably "Vertigo" or "City Of Blinding Lights" then through the cheers we will hear that familiar keyboard and the world will be treated to one of (if not THE) best version of "Bad" ever. A 10 minute plus version with all kinds of anger and beauty. Spectacular. At least that's my hope.

BWU2Buffs said:
So, if the Stones and U2 are on the bill, whenever and wherever, who headlines?

Do the Stones get top billing for a deeper, broader impact on rock and roll? Or does U2 get the nod for more recent relevance and, perhaps significantly, more work at core of what Live 8 would be aoubt?

This could get interesting -- my take -- Bono and U2 cede to the Stones, even though they know damn well top billing should belong to them?

Thoughts? Flames?

(runs for cover)

I think that the issue will be respectfully avoided by all parties, with U2 playing between 4pm and 5pm, then jetting off to Vienna to do their own show

or both bands play in the middle of the show, and ending with smaller acts so it's not clear who the headline is

If the 3 mentioned headliners are all in London, then the likely order is

U2 - 3:00 - 4:30 ?

Rolling Stones - 5:30 - 7:30 ?

Paul McCartney - 8:30 - 11:00 ?

Those are approximate guesses, but I imagine that is how U2 could do it, and still get to Vienna in time for their show.

Live Aid 2??????

been hearin bout this for a couple of days
2nd july london and washington.
the usual suspects including u2.
i also notice they are in vienna that night.
interesting

Back
Top Bottom