MERGED-->L.A. Sports Arena Dress-Rehearsal Show in L.A. March 25th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why can't corporate radio and Viacom scum just end these promotion offers. It sucks. Viacom controls these special exclusive concerts for radio stations across North America. Give fans a way to win thats not impossible. The phone is impossible. Why can't it just be the first 200 people lining up outside the arena.

trojanchick99 said:

Now that you mention it, it could have been Ashlee Simpson.

You make me want to screeeeeeeeam (or in the case of hearin that windbag sing, you make me wanna rip my eyes out with bungee cords and shove burning popscicle sticks in my ears :laugh:)

Can someone clarify,
The tour starts in San Diego but the dress rehersals are in L.A. Sports Arena .... ??
That means they are setting up the stage in LA then taking it down then putting it up in San Diego..?

DPrinceNY said:
Can someone clarify,
The tour starts in San Diego but the dress rehersals are in L.A. Sports Arena .... ??
That means they are setting up the stage in LA then taking it down then putting it up in San Diego..?

That would be correct. Last rehearsal is Sat. night. I'm sure they will begin the process immediately and spend the better part of Easter Sunday hauling it down the 405/5.

DPrinceNY said:
Can someone clarify,

They probably have more than one stage set up (a lot of bands do that so that while they're performing in one town, their other set up is travelling to the next destination).

dsmith2904 said:

They probably have more than one stage set up (a lot of bands do that so that while they're performing in one town, their other set up is travelling to the next destination).

I'm sure this is the case. A lot of your bigger acts have two of the same, as it saves a ton of headaches for set up and tear down. Plus you've got a back up of everything floating around.

-

I've had such great luck at M&G's for other artists, groups I like by just showing up and getting in line. Not for the timid tho, you have to ask someone else to take you in as their guest, or you have to ask them to let you in "because you came from so far away" blah blah, or you have to just walk in with the group. If they have some kind of a board with names on it of everybody just try to look on it and say a name, if they have letters they all bring with them give someone $5 to give you their letter once they get inside. It takes perserverence, but you can often get into those things. (and if I was nearby enough, I would definitely try that on Sat.)

Last edited:
When does this rehearsal on friday start, anyone know?
Whose going to be there from interference?

DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS
FOR THE LOVE GOD!!!! PLEASE!!!!

Super_Fan said:
Why can't corporate radio and Viacom scum just end these promotion offers. It sucks. Viacom controls these special exclusive concerts for radio stations across North America. Give fans a way to win thats not impossible. The phone is impossible. Why can't it just be the first 200 people lining up outside the arena.

if you meant to say Clear Channel you're partially correct ... i dont know what Viacom has to do with concerts ...

someone mentioned industry types getting in ... i'm a (very) low level industry type and the rehearsal was a major major major tough ticket only a select few from U2's labe getting inl ... (i'm not going) KROQ & KLOS got more tickets since they're the local stations but despite having plenty of room ... this will be a very small crowd ... i know someone going and they only got one ticket

i'm guessing radio winners and radio employees, some label/band people, other cities arena management and a few others

There's a set list from Friday's rehearsal someone posted from another web site on here under the tour dates thread. Ending with 40! Not starting with Vertigo.

I don't believe they have two stage sets. At least not what I have read over the years.

Val said:
I don't believe they have two stage sets. At least not what I have read over the years.

Really? why would that be, U2 has employed this method on most of their tours. Most acts do. I know for a fact the stadium shows this summer there will be two stages. There are two for the arena stages also. Some of the technical gear though there is only one, those get taken down first and shipped immediately to the next venue where the other stage is already being set up. There were 3 JT stages, 2 Zoo stages ( 2 indoor and 2 outdoor) and 2 Popmart stages also. In fact the only thing that there was not a duplicate of for Popmart was the screen and the lemon. Those were always taken down first though and shipped immediately to the next stage.

The other thing is they may be practicing breaking down and resetting in a short time frame, so they could take the same stage in LA and set it up in SD. The SD arena though has an event at it on Sunday. So they wont be able to start until late Sunday night or early monday morning anyway.

I passed by the sports arena about an hour ago and there were some people hanging around, and lots of activity but no one passed the black gates. I doubt they'll open up the entire arena, they would have to hire parking, security, ticket takers, vendors...that probably won't happen.

I wasn't aware of the two sets in prior tours as I read that the arch was difficult to assemble and unassemble for each show it being so sensitive to malfunctioning. I guess subconciously, I believed there was only one set for the shows.
You learn something U2 new every day! Thanks!

Val said:
I wasn't aware of the two sets in prior tours as I read that the arch was difficult to assemble and unassemble for each show it being so sensitive to malfunctioning. I guess subconciously, I believed there was only one set for the shows.
You learn something U2 new every day! Thanks!

No problem. :)

It wasnt the arch that was difficult on Popmart. It was the pixel screen that was. There was only one of those. It was expensive and required alot of tender care.

Certainly its possible they have only one stage for this tour. But I think its unlikely.

Last edited:
Actually they have always had two sets, if you remember during Popmart in North Carolina or somewhere nearby the video screen ripped and they had to make do with just one screen instead of two. It would be virtually impossible to play 90+ dates and have one set. If they only had one set that would mean they have leprechauns helping them, and we all know thats not possible because leprechauns are expensive and their union is a pain in the arse, so I'd put my money on Vertigo fairies or something....but the two stage thing is absolutely true.

Blue Room said:

No problem. :)

It wasnt the arch that was difficult on Popmart. It was the pixel screen that was. There was only one of those. It was expensive and required alot of tender care.

Yes, the Pixel screen... of course! Don't listen to me anymore tonight. I know not what I am talking about..LOL

HelloHelloHola said:

if you meant to say Clear Channel you're partially correct ... i dont know what Viacom has to do with concerts ...

Viacom owns the radio stations. Not Clear Channel for these private concerts. Clear Channel is the promoter for a general public concert. Viacom pays out of their own pocket for private concerts.

Blue Room said:

Really? why would that be, U2 has employed this method on most of their tours. Most acts do. I know for a fact the stadium shows this summer there will be two stages. There are two for the arena stages also. Some of the technical gear though there is only one, those get taken down first and shipped immediately to the next venue where the other stage is already being set up. There were 3 JT stages, 2 Zoo stages ( 2 indoor and 2 outdoor) and 2 Popmart stages also. In fact the only thing that there was not a duplicate of for Popmart was the screen and the lemon. Those were always taken down first though and shipped immediately to the next stage.

The other thing is they may be practicing breaking down and resetting in a short time frame, so they could take the same stage in LA and set it up in SD. The SD arena though has an event at it on Sunday. So they wont be able to start until late Sunday night or early monday morning anyway.

Someone that actually sets up for concerts as a stagehand for other bands at arenas, It takes usually for big shows an early load in call like 4 or 6 a.m. and to take down the stage its about 2 to 4 1/2 hours depending on how many trucks they have and how big the loading dock is. The longest loads out to my knowledge for arena shows are Bet Midler and the Rolling Stones. Usually 4 to 8 hour load outs. For stadium shows the load out is usually 2 and a half to 4 days .

Super_Fan said:

Viacom owns the radio stations. Not Clear Channel for these private concerts. Clear Channel is the promoter for a general public concert. Viacom pays out of their own pocket for private concerts.

again you're partially right ... some Viacom stations like KROQ are doing ticket giveaways ... but so were KLOS (owned by ABC/Disney) ... KBZT San Diego (Jacobs) ... 91x and The Edge in Dallas are both Clear Channel stations and they gave away tickets to the rehearsal as did other stations etc ...

KROQ had more tickets because they were the highest rated station in the market that plays U2 ... plus KLOS is not a trade reporter so if KLOS plays new U2 is does not affect the charts ... so Interscope doesnt get the same benefit they would with a new music station

anything new from the rehearsal friday night? i came back tonight early just to get some spoilers....

PowerSurge said:
Actually they have always had two sets.

According to the stage production company (StageCo) they did have only one COMPLETE set during Popmart.

http://www.stageco.com/newsite/main.php?lang=gb&request=gallery&id=219

"Video wall, 'lemon', 'toothpick' and other production equipment was so expensive it was made only once and travelled from show to show"

I do think/hope they'll have more sets on this tour. At least a stage set for the arena shows and a different one for the stadium shows.

I know for a fact they had more than one Popmart stage because I watched them set up the production in Salt Lake City while the band were playing a show that night in Denver (or San Diego, I can't remember which). It took a couple days to put the thing together.

If they had only one, they would've had to space the gigs several days apart just to allow for time to load out, haul to the next town, and load in.

And I remember reading about the tour that spring also where they talked about having multiple productions.

Back
Top Bottom