MERGED -->irritated by reviews? + type of review my posts are aimed at...+coincidence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KUEFC09U2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
is anyone else getting irratated by the reviews on u2tours.com??

i mean are these shows really as bad as some people make out? they always end up comparing it too the last tour, which to be fair is getting abit tired, in fairness i think alot of them are taking the ticket problems and just going to the shows with the intent of being stubborn,

i mean are they that bad? is it me being short sighted?

Re: is anyone else getting irratated by the reviews on u2tours.com??

KUEFC09U2 said:
i mean are these shows really as bad as some people make out? they always end up comparing it too the last tour, which to be fair is getting abit tired, in fairness i think alot of them are taking the ticket problems and just going to the shows with the intent of being stubborn,

i mean are they that bad? is it me being short sighted?

To be honest, I've noticed that too.

I've just stopped reading most of them...besides the ones with the pictures on them.

Re: Re: is anyone else getting irratated by the reviews on u2tours.com??

walkon11 said:

I've just stopped reading most of them...besides the ones with the pictures on them.
are we the ones that are wrong?

It seems that if you have a complaint, you're more likely to post a review. I've spoken to heaps of people who've said the shows have been awesome and they just don't understand the complainers ... but who's posting the reviews? People with something to gripe about, of course. It's usually true that the negative folks make more noise.

Re: Re: Re: is anyone else getting irratated by the reviews on u2tours.com??

KUEFC09U2 said:
are we the ones that are wrong?

I've seen one show, and I thought it surpassed both Elevation shows I went to. I personally think that there are many ideas on how this tour should be run (setlist, design, stage, etc.). Since U2 can't appease ALL ideas, they stick with one and get abuse for what they didn't do instead for what they did (most of the time). I choose to go into each concert knowing I'm listening to U2, MY favorite band. Even if they don't play tunes I want them to play, 99% of the concert is so well done, so great that I could care less if they didn't play "Acrobat".

Axver said:
It seems that if you have a complaint, you're more likely to post a review. I've spoken to heaps of people who've said the shows have been awesome and they just don't understand the complainers ... but who's posting the reviews? People with something to gripe about, of course. It's usually true that the negative folks make more noise.
suppose, i have never really thought about it like that, as i said also maybe some of the ones with the complaints, maybe they are still angry about only being able to get "nosebleeds"

Seems like a lot of the people who have negative things to say don't go into a lengthy review at all. Just a short little paragraph or even a sentence about how much the show "sucked". I'm sorry, but could you please elaborate? They may not even mention any good points...now, I've only seen one U2 show in my life but come on now, there has to be at least something you're happy with! We should all just choose to ignore them.

Axver said:

Extremely well said. :wink:

This forum is great but you should get your info from more than one source but when it comes to reviews I don't give much weight to them. Opinions are like a**holes, everybody has one and some are.

so do you think the reviews are what the majority of people who leave the venue think? or just a small minority?

Well I'm getting more irritated by people who try convince me that I show I went to "sucked" when I loved it, because they saw the setlist and read some reviews. :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, I think a lot of it is just that people are far more likely to voice a complaint about something in general, than a positive feeling. I remember after seeing that VH1 special not too long ago and thinking it was great, coming to the forum and seeing "omg that sucked!! what a piece of crap!" etc etc and wondering if I was wrong. :shrug:

KUEFC09U2 said:
so do you think the reviews are what the majority of people who leave the venue think? or just a small minority?

I think it's important to get hung up on what other people think. Tastes and perceptions vary, as do opinions. I happen to prefer Pop to Joshua Tree but hey that's my opinion. There's no right or wrong answer.

neutral said:
Well I'm getting more irritated by people who try convince me that I show I went to "sucked" when I loved it, because they saw the setlist and read some reviews. :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, I think a lot of it is just that people are far more likely to voice a complaint about something in general, than a positive feeling. I remember after seeing that VH1 special not too long ago and thinking it was great, coming to the forum and seeing "omg that sucked!! what a piece of crap!" etc etc and wondering if I was wrong. :shrug:
so in other words, the complaners are in the minority really

I think the majority of people in attendance at any given venue aren't die-hard fans like us. They probably have no idea that there are places online to go and talk about a show. Their reaction is likely along the lines of,

"The U2 show? Yeah, it was pretty fucking awesome. Hey, did you watch Survivor last night?"

no offense KUEFC09U2, but it seems like you are pretty sensitive to any criticism of U2

obviously you love the band, as we all do, but it seems like whenever anyone tries to make any kind of complaint, you jump in and try to dispute it

you just need to realize that we all love U2, even if we say something that may not be 100% positive about them

so my advice is just ignore the complainers and just focus on all the positive things people are saying, because contrary to how it may seem, there are a lot of people saying a lot of good things about U2

The majority of the type of people who post reviews on sites like u2tours.com are the diehards. Because people are not as likely to post reviews if they just thought the show was OK, that leaves the people that really had a great time and the people who were really dissapointed.

What does this mean? It means that out of the diehard fans, there a large number who were not satisfied.

Last edited:
I dont see how people can not like this tour. I saw Phily 5/14 and if i HAD to pick the worst show between it and the two Chicago shows I went to, I would pick Philly.

However, I've seen a lot of bands over the years and the Philly concert still killed anything else I've ever seen.

My only two "complaints" about the Philly show was I felt although the crowd sang along a lot, no one was really getting down. I had a perfect view right in front of the stage from the mid section, during "Vertigo" more than half the GA crowd stood still. that's not an exaggeration. Maybe I keep expecting a Slane crowd reaction, I thought the Chicago audience was very strong.

Another thing is I thought Bono didn't really interact that much with the crowd. Ya, he brought up two girls during "into the heart" and the dancing with "mysterious ways," but that's basically scripted. He brings up a child every time they do it, he lays down in the exact same spot on the stage, etc.

But I don't know how people can complain about the rest of the band, Adam and Larry interact with the crowd more than ever before...Adam is going crazy this tour. I went crazy when I saw Edge come out on the ellipse and do his "Electric Co" solo. Great stuff.

These two complaints are so minor. I don't think of them at all during the show, I just do it now as I sit back and think about something to complain about. They are by far overshadowed by the 1,434 other things that made this show rock!!

People just like complaining. It's u2, people are expected perfection.

Hmmm. The complaints you brought up are the same ones (sometimes I as well) bring up.. the words 'contrived' and 'scripted' have been coming up a lot

Complaints don't bother me as long as the person is correctly informed--I hate reading negative reviews where the person reviewing doesn't know what the hell they're talking about(I'm speaking of non-subjective things).

There are legitimate complaints people can make, but I don't see why people can't just take the show for what it is and enjoy it. I do miss the heart and soul of the Elevation tour, and things do seem a bit scripted, like bringing "Laura" on stage 2 nights in a row in Chicago and Bono's speeches are pretty much exactly the same from night to night...but I still had an awesome time and wouldn't trade it for anything.

5/7 in Chicago was my first U2 concert and I thought it was awesome, I dont' care what anyone else says. But then again, I love these guys so much that they could stand up there and read the phone book and as long as I was close enough, I would be prefectly happy, lol
I also ended up seeing them on 5/10 and was only about 5ft from the stage, definitely the best night of my life.

Re: Re: is anyone else getting irratated by the reviews on u2tours.com??

walkon11 said:

same here!!!!!!!

and i thought i was the only one lol :wink:

I think that most of those reviewers are "old" fans that have this attitude: "Everything was so much better when I was young". They are the ones who scream loudest when they are not satisfied. They use the argument "I've been a fan for xx years, so ..." all the time. So they must be right :scratch:
Some of those are the loudest complainers. Also in here, I have noticed. It's almost as if they want U2 for themselves.

I'm not a new fan myself, but every day I see young, new fans loving this band. And I must say I really enjoy that fact. I run a norwegian U2 site with a discussion forum. And it's a joy to see all the new, young fans in there.

I haven't seen a Vertigo concert myself yet. But I will go with an open mind. I don't listen to these kinds of reviews. And I highly doubt that it is bad. In fact I think it's fantastic. I will do everything I can to experience U2 as a new fan. To see what they see.

cutecrystal923 said:
5/7 in Chicago was my first U2 concert and I thought it was awesome, I dont' care what anyone else says. But then again, I love these guys so much that they could stand up there and read the phone book and as long as I was close enough, I would be prefectly happy, lol
I also ended up seeing them on 5/10 and was only about 5ft from the stage, definitely the best night of my life.

I was going to post something like this (your phone book comment) lol. I went 5/9 and 5/12 - I posted a review on U2Tours.com - nothing elaborate...basically I loved 'em. I preferred the regular versions of The Fly and WOWY to the differently paced versions 5/12 but they still sounded great - and who's to say U2 can't play a song however they want.
I did enjoy myself more @ the 5/12 show - there seemed to be more crowd participation. I also missed the encores 5/9 b/c my sister passed out in GA. I was also disappointed that more people weren't thrilled to hear Gloria but then maybe everyone hasn't been a fan as long, or maybe they're much younger than me...but maybe they'll go out and buy October or UABRS now. It's cool to see the youngsters lol (I'm getting pretty old) getting into (old) U2.

bono_man2002 said:

Its starting all over again for me...I just wanna hop back on the plane and head back to the states for More U2....I loved it over there.....

Yep :sad: :sad: :sad:
I keep wanting to go back in time...

I've seen the 4 Chicago shows this tour. Simply unbelievable!! I liked them better than any of the many Elevation shows (which were in various cities).

Also, I took a total of 8 newbies to these 4 shows (some of which aren't huge fans). They were simply blown away (their ages ranging from 22-45). Now, they can't stop asking me to burn them Cd's of this or that...etc...and its only been a few days since the last Chicago show. They have already bought tickets to Sept. shows (by paying more than face value now of course).

I think most people loved it!!! The tour has basically just started when you look at the 3 tour legs together! I think they'll be a lot more + remarks to come.

Wait for the DVD! The way technology and extras has changed on DVDs since 2001, I think we'll see some unique footage and a memorable concert!!!!

after reading this thread i went and read all the u2tours from philly 1 since it's the only show i saw so far. they seemed to be fair overall. a lot of the complaints voiced i also heard from people i was with and we are all huge fans who have seen a lot of shows over the past 20 years. every show can't be perfect, let people voice their dissapointment.

and the biggest critics i have seen of the band, are the band themselves. i get the sense if i posted exact quotes of what they have said about themselves in interviews recently, without attributing it to them, i would get a ton of flames and told to shut up and be happy with what i got.
i loved the show, but a lot of the dissapointed comments had a point.
why can't people say they didn't like something without being jumped on.

The only thing I'm worried about, after having been to several Popmart and Elevation shows (and watching videos of this show), is just that the energy just doesn't seem to be there.

Now I haven't been to my show yet for this tour and this is totally just speculative on videos and I know it could all be different.

It's just that the energy doesn't seem to be there from the band or the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom