MERGED -->irritated by reviews? + type of review my posts are aimed at...+coincidence - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2005, 01:11 PM   #41
War Child

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2 sweetestgirl

Heed KUEFC09U2's warning -
Keep it real, keep it fresh and don't suffer burn out.

Too many obsessive fans expect too much.
Real fans know the score - U2 are only human.
"Real fans?" what the hell? Real fans SHOULD be willing to criticize and they should have the right to expect something...especially with all the money we invest in the band.

The fact is that there are always fans that will never, ever ever ever ever criticize the band for some reason. I mean if you think they've never done anything wrong then fine, but from a lot of the fans I've met at concerts over the years it just seems like a lot of them are just blinded by their fanboyism.

I mean shit I LOVE U2...that's why I'm a member of this board...that's why I have a U2 tattoo...that's why I listen to them all the time and spend a shitload of money on them. Because I LOVE them. And it's because I love them that I feel like I have the right to criticize.

But back to the "energy" of the show. I'm pretty much doing the same thing I was doing last tour and my expectations were spot on from the trickles of info that passed in before I saw my first show. So I'm using that as a basis on this tour...the trickles of info that's come in, in my opinion, shows a general lack of energy. Not that the songs aren't good or that the show isn't going to be good. I'm just saying it's not the type of energy that I'm used to in a U2 show. And on these forums alone there has been a ton of videos of songs that people have released (whether they're recorded on their digital camera or what).

Now hopefully when I go to the show things will be different...but I dunno. You say they seem more "playful" on this tour than the last but, man, it seems like the COMPLETE opposite to me.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #42
War Child

Re: This is the type of review that my posts are aimed at....

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2

i dont think i need to say anything else, this is all imo of course, but i think its a very very valid argument as to why some people are simply not feeling it, they are suffering U2 burn out
Well I don't know about that...I've been to a lot of shows and consistently surround myself with U2 stuff and last tour I didn't feel burnt out at all. I mean a LOTTTT of people are complaining about the band's energy (not for every show mind you...but more often than not). I don't think that's just a coincidence or the fans fault.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:32 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

why would i say he is more playful.... hmm imo just the simple things like magic tricks with the children, or when he says stuff like "life through larry mullens eyes, i dont think i have ever stood here", pinching adams arse, just weaird silly things like that, bono imo was alot less confident during the elevation tour, they were trying to reclaim there US fans, this time round, he knows they are there, and is just having fun
Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 AM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

is it any coincidence?

sorry to keep banging on and on about it, but is it just more, or are the people that are giving the tour bad reviews or whatevr, they all seem to be the ones that were bumped off in the pre-sale and only manage to get nosebleeds or poor seats?, so they end up going to the concert with the intention of finding faults or whatever, just a thought
Old 05-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:40 AM
Re: This is the type of review that my posts are aimed at....

Quote:
Originally posted by KUEFC09U2
Review by: Tracy

Although every U2 concert I've been to has been an emotional, religious, spiritual, souful and uplifting experience, I've got to say that I was a little disappointed in Saturday's show. I've been a fan since 85 and I didn't get the vibe from the band as I usually do when I see them in concert. It's quite possible that they were tired or just not feeling it that night, but I kind of felt that they were "playing" their music rather than SINGING their music. I'm not saying they weren't great, but they just weren't themselves. We'll see how they fare at Sunday's show.

right were to start, number 1 one reason she isnt "feeling it" is simple U2 blow out, been to every tour, so she has simple seen as much as she can see from the band, but decides it is the bands fault she did not feel it rather than her own feelings,

number 2, "I'm not saying they weren't great, but they just weren't themselves" they were either great, average, or poor, you decided to go with they were great, but you still decide it wasnt good enough for you?

i dont think i need to say anything else, this is all imo of course, but i think its a very very valid argument as to why some people are simply not feeling it, they are suffering U2 burn out
That's an example of a horrid review? She said she was "a little disappointed." Big deal. Don't worry so much about what other people think and make up your own mind. If you went to the same show and loved it that's great.

I've gone to shows I thought were wonderful but others found lacking -- and you know, I still think the shows were wonderful. No one's perfect all the time (hell, no one's perfect any of the time), but sometimes an imperfection I find charming someone else finds very irritating. Each person experiences the same event differently. Two people standing right next to each other at a show might very well have two completely different takes on a show -- that just shows how different each person is. If you understand that you will be much happier when you read less than gushing reviews.

Just enjoy what you experience.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:57 PM   #46
Babyface

Local Time: 06:40 AM
I don't really have a frame of reference since this was my first U2 concert but it seems that the people in the know that have followed the band over the years have some valid criticism. I thought the show was too short, some of the songs too obscure, and really no production value in the show to merit such high-ticket prices. Not even a good opening act. And what’s up with the cost of t-shirts and other stuff? Who’s going to pay $90 for a $5 t-shirt with a U2 logo? Half way through the show was some human rights charity crap on the monitor which I thought was pretty phony considering how much I got raped on ticket prices, parking, and all the other stuff. I’m sure the band gets a taste of everything. And when you got people in your section boogying down that are older than your parents that never a good sign. I saw them play based on their rep and so I could say I saw them but one show is enough. For the amount of dough I spent I could see a descent club band every night for a month and have a better time too.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #47
The Fly

Local Time: 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by slimJim
I don't really have a frame of reference since this was my first U2 concert but it seems that the people in the know that have followed the band over the years have some valid criticism. I thought the show was too short, some of the songs too obscure, and really no production value in the show to merit such high-ticket prices. Not even a good opening act. And what’s up with the cost of t-shirts and other stuff? Who’s going to pay $90 for a $5 t-shirt with a U2 logo? Half way through the show was some human rights charity crap on the monitor which I thought was pretty phony considering how much I got raped on ticket prices, parking, and all the other stuff. I’m sure the band gets a taste of everything. And when you got people in your section boogying down that are older than your parents that never a good sign. I saw them play based on their rep and so I could say I saw them but one show is enough. For the amount of dough I spent I could see a descent club band every night for a month and have a better time too.
Nothing personal but I think you've yet to earn your U2 casual fan merit badge. I'm sure that in 20 years you'll be boogying (sp) down to one of those club bands.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:12 PM   #48
The Fly

why do you guys suppose the reviews on, say....U2@tours.com overwhelmingly postive?