MERGED--> Im a little worried about the performance of U2 + Underrehearsed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neilz

War Child
Underrehearsed?

I have the feeling that U2 have not rehearsed enought for this tour... Of course, the tour has just begun... But with Popmart in Las Vegas and Elevation in Miami they played pretty flawless... I mean, Bono doesn't remember all the lyrics... Larry does some weird stuff with Love And Peace and Zoo-Station... Adam cut out a whole part in Mysterious Ways... Edge is having difficulty with his sound (not his playing though)... I mean, it all sounds a bit under rehearsed to me...

Setlist is not steady yet, Willie is nów picking out lights for the European leg... All a little late in my opinion...

UnforgettableLemon said:
Popmart in Vegas flawless? That's an absolute untruth. They had to restart several whole songs, it was horrible
Ok, but still... The songs they fucked up where new ones... U2 is now even having trouble with the old ones... They also had much more time to prepare then with Popmart...

No. More variation. More songs which haven't been played for a long time. Nuff said.

BTW, have you ever listened to the Popmart openings shows during the first two, three weeks in 1997? THAT'S underrehearsed. And they even admitted this.

They got to kick out a few songs on the setlist. Replace New Years Day with I Will Follow, and take out All Because of You and put in Even Better Than the Real Thing. Last 2 songs my opinion should be One and each night switch it with 40 or Walk On.

They couldn't get to rehearse as much because Edge needed to be with Sian a lot. Remember, this tour was slightly postponed because of that.

UnforgettableLemon said:
Popmart in Vegas flawless? That's an absolute untruth. They had to restart several whole songs, it was horrible

:up:

And not for nothing but this whole tour was up in the air for a long time....it was postponed and the possibility of cancellation was a definete one. So be a little more appreciative. It is a miracle that they got this thing off the ground.

Last edited:
I do agree that theres been parts that have sounded rough...then again, U2's 'rough' is still much better than other bands perfection, if you get me?! ;)

And given the circumstances outlined above, its understandable that they might be slightly rusty at the minute. If we're still saying this in 2 or 3 months, then we might be able to start wondering...

i remember bono said the popmart kickoff in vegas was a complete disaster. sure they're a bit cold yet, edge made a few errors and bono jokes around with lyrics, i don't think he doesn't remember them, he wrote the stuff, he knows them, but he likes to change them sometimes, it's a thing he usually does. u2 went with a complete different approach to this tour, they've become totally unforeseeable and i'm pretty sure that the more the tour goes on, the more the niveau will rise. they're not at the very top but every night closer, step by step, they're more such a diesel, a turbodiesel, once the motor reaches the full rounds it will become unstoppable

Super_Fan said:
They got to kick out a few songs on the setlist. Replace New Years Day with I Will Follow, and take out All Because of You and put in Even Better Than the Real Thing. Last 2 songs my opinion should be One and each night switch it with 40 or Walk On.

I've got a better idea. How about insert New Years Day along with I Will Follow, leave All Because of You and STILL put in Even Better Than The Real Thing. And how about One>Walk On>Yahweh>'40'? Make it like a 25 or so song set that runs about 2:30.

And make Gloria a staple song and leave in Electric Co>An Cat Dubh as well. :)

I don't know about you, but I kinda like that. :)

Screw it...play it all, boys!!!!!!! :dancing: :applaud: :happy:

Neilz said:

Ok, but still... The songs they fucked up where new ones... U2 is now even having trouble with the old ones... They also had much more time to prepare then with Popmart...

Wrong. They fucked up the old ones also pretty badly(With or Without You).
First concerts of Elevation were also rough in some places (The Fly, Angel of Harlem...).
So, Vertigo is as underrehearsed as the previous tours.

Good Lord, I cant believe anyone even said they were fine for the Vegas 97 opener. That will go down as one of U2's worst performances of all time! THAT was under rehearsed.

I agree, they arent quite as ready as they were for the Elevation tour. But there were obvious reasons for that. They will be rolling and firing on all cylinders in another week or two.

:lol: I still cant believe someone said they sounded good for the LV 97 opener!!! :laugh:

If you want perfection, stay home and listen to the CD...

Under-rehearsed or not, you have the chance to listen to the greatest band of all time...worth the money? who knows, but you're assured of never hearing any lipsynched verses...

I wouldn't care if Bono hummed along, the opportunity of seeing these guys is far more important to me....

agreed,

in addition, they were not just rehearsing music, but the stage show, lighting, a incredile feast on the eyes, like pop but less annoying, the are starting a social movement, trying to add deeper and deeper levels of meaning to everything they do. Plus spend more time with their families. Its how it shoulb be.

The were BOMB last night.

Kings of Leon were well rehearsed, had no techncal glitches, sounded perfect, and contributed absolutley nothing to the event.
I forgot they were even there.

peace

I think in today's age of the internet we can easily see all the flaws at EVERY show whereas most people who go to the shows just enjoy them

Listening to the Anaheim 1 april right now, and it sounds wonderful to me. It gets better and better. I think Larry does an amazing job on several songs. And Bonos voice is in top form. And I think I just heard the best version of The Fly I've ever heard.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:
U2 on an average night is still better than anyone ele out there.

My point exactly...and look at their role-model image; I admit they're not choir boys (lol) but not one F-bomb throughout the whole performance like you would hear anywhere else "just for the reaction!"

I'll take an average poorly rehearsed night with this band anytime. :sothere: :)

Blue Room said:
Good Lord, I cant believe anyone even said they were fine for the Vegas 97 opener. That will go down as one of U2's worst performances of all time! THAT was under rehearsed.

:lol: I still cant believe someone said they sounded good for the LV 97 opener!!! :laugh:

The Popmart opener was my first U2 show, and the band was absolutely atrocious that night. That's why they came out so well-rehearsed for Miami during the next tour: they weren't going to let THAT happen again.

This time, yeah, they're a little cold still, but I'm not too worried about it. By the time they get to San Jose next weekend, they should have this train completely on the rails.

I though a few songs sounded rough on opening night. City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, and Miracle Drug sounded a little rough. Bono botched 40 on night two. Other than that things have sounded pretty good. And the April 1 show was pretty much amazing from start to finish.

Originally posted by Neilz
The songs they fucked up where new ones...
U2 is now even having trouble with the old ones...

Yeah, I agree !!!

Like messing up lyrics, playing in the wrong key, and playing the wrong intro....

They're losing the "BEST BAND" in the world title .....
when they DON'T perform like they are "prepared" for the tour....
IMO... the BEST BAND in the world SHOULD have some mistakes
possibly ..... but not SEVERAL mistakes, and the fact ,
that these "massive" mistakes are STILL happening.....
Well, let's just say that they're "NOT READY" for this tour yet...
(not, by a longshot) .... they need more rehearsal ... for sure !!!
Their first performance should be as "GREAT"
as their last one probably will be ..... no matter what ........
Especially because fans have paid ALOT of money to see a "SUPERB" concert .... Why pay such expensive costs for tickets to a show that's "under-rehearsed" and "fouled-up" with "constant" mistakes ......
This tour's beginning is "worse" than PopMart or Elevation
ever was ..... hopefully, it will improve quickly.....

Im a little worried about the performance of U2

Let's be honest, this three shows aren't the best performances of U2, in fact, IMHO very poor performances...just listen the beggining of vertigo...Larry starts to slow down the drums because he was too fast,edge starting late with the riffs, bono forgetting the lyrics...I know that they're old, and the tour is just starting, but they're not amateurs....

listen 30/3, 40 is very pathetic....bono in a different key....I never listen bono like that...

I hope U2 gain level along with the incoming gigs

:sad:

There are tons of threads on this subject. Historically, U2 has always started off a little rough on their tours, but the shows have still been great (Anaheim 1 and 2) and they will only get better. Sure there has been mistakes, but the performance is still powerfull and setlist have been great. Majority of the problems Ive notice have been in the production side of things and those will be fine tuned to perfection. I think the boys are playing great and will only get better.

Now I can't really speak from past tours...as Vertigo Is the first one I've seen live, actually been there.

But, U2 are never Superb for the first few shows.
From listening to opening night bootlegs of the past few tours, I think they are sounding the best they have at the begining of a tour ever!, sure there are mistakes, but no one is perfect.

Mistakes are exected for the start of a tour, I'd say from almost any Band.
Its the first time they've played some of the songs...and the first time in a long time they've played some of the others.

I've been to the first 4 shows, and I must say they are getting better each night IMO.

If the opening nights were musically flawless U2 would be accused of miming.

If the opening nights were musically flawed U2 would be accused of under rehearsing.

They really can't win this one.

Listening to bootlegs and actually being there are entirely different. Yeah, they will have some flaws here and there, but ask 99% of the fans at the gigs if they noticed or even cared.

I think it's the production that fucks them up.

really.

listen to the irving plaza gig in late 2000; it's blazing. then listen to the first few show of elevation. not the same.

listen to the RARHOF performance. blazing.
these first few shows are not at that level.

by the time I see them in october though, I'm gonna be seeing some major ass kicking.

it's not easy playing in front of 25,000 people I guess.
plus all the songs have to be time perfectly with the lighting and video and shit.

Back
Top Bottom