MERGED--> Im a little worried about the performance of U2 + Underrehearsed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mr. BAW said:
If you want perfection, stay home and listen to the CD...

Under-rehearsed or not, you have the chance to listen to the greatest band of all time...worth the money? who knows, but you're assured of never hearing any lipsynched verses...

I wouldn't care if Bono hummed along, the opportunity of seeing these guys is far more important to me....
Don't agree! I'm not demanding perfection at all! I do however demand a rehearsed show.. Why do some people allways tend to see things so black and white :(

You're saying the opportunity of seeing them is more important then how they sound? Well think about all the people who are nót a fanatic like you and actually want to hear a good show! I mean, you're missing the whole point of live performance! Young bands are strugling to make it to the big stage and perform amazing shows (with no production!), just like U2 did in the late 70's... Now you're telling me you're paying big bucks just to 'see' them? They are legends in the music industry an should me able to ace every gig... I'm not demaning perfection, just a good show!

Have you been to the show yet?

No? Then shut the fuck up.

It is to your benefit that the U2 fans of the world record these shows for you to download for nothing, maybe they should stop recording them so that people can judge U2 based on the performance when they were actually there, as most other bands are judged by, not by bootleging.

Yeah, but the last shows haven't been so full of mistakes like some says. First concert of Popmart was much worse. And back then they admit it. I've read critics about the opening, and they are pretty good. They don't seem to notice all these mistakes that some say are there but haven't pointed out. If U2 has screwed up, you can be sure som of those reviews I've read would have pointed them out far worse than they were. Some small mistakes here and there - sure, what band doesn't do mistakes - but screw ups? Can't see them, sorry.

Did it ever occur to anyone here that screw-ups may be caused by simple nervouness of being over-excited?

I heard Zoo Station twice at the Vancouver rehearsals. He knew all the words when I heard them.

U2FP

Yahweh said:
Have you been to the show yet?

No? Then shut the fuck up.

It is to your benefit that the U2 fans of the world record these shows for you to download for nothing, maybe they should stop recording them so that people can judge U2 based on the performance when they were actually there, as most other bands are judged by, not by bootleging.

Yeah but we heard the boots. :wink:

LOL. Thats right! Don't criticize U2. It's bad!!!

Neilz said:
Why do some people allways tend to see things so black and white :(

Well, when the original post is stated in black and white (as in calling previous tour openers almost flawless) then you can expect black & white counter arguments. And many people here do point out the many shades of grey, but most of the reactions are again to the black & white statements.

You're saying the opportunity of seeing them is more important then how they sound? Well think about all the people who are nót a fanatic like you and actually want to hear a good show!

They ARE hearing a good show. Since they are not as fanatic as many here on this forum they don't care as much for a small lyrical flub by Bono (if they even notice it at all) or a bit rougher sounding intro or ending to a song. They are there, experiencing the show. Most won't obtain a bootleg copy and closely analyse the whole performance. And if they do have that bootleg copy, they want to relive their U2 experience.

I also browse some Bruce Springsteen related boards and currently they also have quite some talk about U2. Some of those fans are also big U2 fans and they went to the opening night in San Diego. Some had also been to the opening night of Bruce's The Rising Tour. They said Bruce was close to atrocious that night. Or at least, compared to previous tours and later shows. However, some also went with friends who weren't huge Springsteen fans, but those people became fanatics after seeing that opening show. It may have been sub-par for die-hards, but for the casual listener it was already a great experience. Same with U2.

C ya!

Marty

I have seen Bruce live once before in a stadium with a véry stripped down show... But I was blown away I must say... Although he has a big band (E-Street), which I often hate, the power and feeling was very much there... The Elevation gig's I have seen were about the same concering feeling and power... Just hoping U2 can sort things out soon...

Just can't understand (even for the biggest U2 fan) why 'seeing' them is more important then the show itself...

i notice its always the same people that start these threads, i.e. nelz or msmofo, and its really getting a little tiresome now, if your not enjoying the experience then just dont go, but dont come on trying to make people think everythings going wrong, because belive it or not it does spoil the experience for other people when your ALWAYS moaning

Just check the reviews on U2tours.com for the Anaheim 2 show and you'll see where this tour is going...

djerdap said:
Just check the reviews on U2tours.com for the Anaheim 2 show and you'll see where this tour is going...

Precisely!..The boys sound better and better with each night. I must however commend on the "have you been to concert? no, shut the fuck up bit...lol...

This is a little harsch..I haven;t been to the opening concert but I have been to U2 over 25 times and have a lot of bootlegs. Of course you can tell if the band sounds great or not..The first night they didn't especially Bono, but listening him belting out the words with Mysterious ways first show..wow...or the preformance of elec the second night...YESSSS...they are getting there...Can;t wait for chicago, new york and Amsterdam!!!

Take care verybody and enjoy!!!

Neilz said:
I have seen Bruce live once before in a stadium with a véry stripped down show... But I was blown away I must say... Although he has a big band (E-Street), which I often hate, the power and feeling was very much there... The Elevation gig's I have seen were about the same concering feeling and power... Just hoping U2 can sort things out soon...

Just can't understand (even for the biggest U2 fan) why 'seeing' them is more important then the show itself...

Apparently you have no idea what Popmartijn's post was about... Anyway, how the hell can you say that U2 have to sort things out to give you the same feeling, when you haven't even attended a Vertigo gig? Check out the reviews from people who have seen multiple shows the last week or go see a show yourself the next week before making black & white statements.

Last edited:
Neilz said:

Which Bruce show have you seen? And which Elevation gigs?

*curious*

With all this slagging of the PopMart opener...can anyone send me the concert? Or even a few "awful" song restart mp3s?

alxjeh at gmail.com

Which Bruce concert in Rotterdam? The first or the second? The second one was very good, the first was an average Bruce concert.

As for Elevation Cologne, those were 2 magnificent concerts! :hyper: After seeing those 2 I really thought that the Arnhem shows were lacking (even though the first concert had a kick-ass version of Sunday Bloody Sunday). After Arnhem I also saw the first Antwerp concert and it was the best I've ever heard them play (with me being in the audience). But even then, Bono had some lyric problems (forgetting a verse in New York, etc.).

Popmartijn said:
Which Bruce concert in Rotterdam? The first or the second? The second one was very good, the first was an average Bruce concert.

As for Elevation Cologne, those were 2 magnificent concerts! :hyper: After seeing those 2 I really thought that the Arnhem shows were lacking (even though the first concert had a kick-ass version of Sunday Bloody Sunday). After Arnhem I also saw the first Antwerp concert and it was the best I've ever heard them play (with me being in the audience). But even then, Bono had some lyric problems (forgetting a verse in New York, etc.).
I was at the second gig Bruce gave in Rotterdam.. It kicked ass indeed!... And about U2 in Cologne, these we're special gigs indeed.. The first one I had the best seats ever (row one, right next to the heart).. The second one I was in the heart.. Really good shows.. Arnhem was less indeed, but the venue wasn't that good either.. This may have had something to do with it..

Neilz said:

I was at the second gig Bruce gave in Rotterdam.. It kicked ass indeed!... And about U2 in Cologne, these we're special gigs indeed.. The first one I had the best seats ever (row one, right next to the heart).. The second one I was in the heart.. Really good shows.. Arnhem was less indeed, but the venue wasn't that good either.. This may have had something to do with it..
what arnhem show? elevation tour?

I dont get this

on the last tour people complained that it all seemed too rehearsed.

This is my standard post to such claims of over/under reheased

we live in an over rehearsed society, ad libbing is becomign a lost art.
Broadway shows, rehearsed to death, Movies...they shoot the same scene 100 times sometimes before using a take, studio music, they do tons of takes before using a bit. Even "live" shows
a lot of times are just tapes of rehearsed perforamnces with the performer singing over it

part of seeing an artist live, is in fact the chance that they may not be perfect that night it happens, and it takes time for u2 to warmup to a tour. Its not just the music they've been living very different lives for the last 4 years ( not being on the road) it takes them some time to get into the whole idea of touring.

If in fact they've rehearsed a larger bank of songs then some songs will sound less rehearsed...why? well you only have so much time to practice..do the math

so essentially this becomes the tradeoff between two complaints, setlist variety and rehearsal strength

Seriously.. The leadsinger of a band should know al the lyrics of the set which he's playing.. This has nothing to do with liking it when something goes wrong.. I have seen Edge in trouble with his guitar some times before, and that is no problem.. Forgetting lyrics is! It would be the same thing if Edge just plays like 5 wrong chords in a row.. I remember Axl Rose having monitor's onstage with the lyrics scrolling by for if he would forget a line..

These shows don't have the pacing of the Elevation shows. I think we should hold judgment until the Chicago shows. This whole west coast swing unfortunately will be practice and rearranging the setlist. By the end of Chicago and especially the east coast, I think this tour will be better than Elevation.

Arun V said:
I dont get this

on the last tour people complained that it all seemed too rehearsed.

This is my standard post to such claims of over/under reheased

we live in an over rehearsed society, ad libbing is becomign a lost art.
Broadway shows, rehearsed to death, Movies...they shoot the same scene 100 times sometimes before using a take, studio music, they do tons of takes before using a bit. Even "live" shows
a lot of times are just tapes of rehearsed perforamnces with the performer singing over it

part of seeing an artist live, is in fact the chance that they may not be perfect that night it happens, and it takes time for u2 to warmup to a tour. Its not just the music they've been living very different lives for the last 4 years ( not being on the road) it takes them some time to get into the whole idea of touring.

If in fact they've rehearsed a larger bank of songs then some songs will sound less rehearsed...why? well you only have so much time to practice..do the math

so essentially this becomes the tradeoff between two complaints, setlist variety and rehearsal strength

I see there being some truth to the idea that there has to be some sort of compromise with setlist variety vs playing the songs correctly/ right. Its evident that something will get hurt which is a shame to be honest.

Popmartijn said:

I also browse some Bruce Springsteen related boards and currently they also have quite some talk about U2. Some of those fans are also big U2 fans and they went to the opening night in San Diego. Some had also been to the opening night of Bruce's The Rising Tour. They said Bruce was close to atrocious that night. Or at least, compared to previous tours and later shows. However, some also went with friends who weren't huge Springsteen fans, but those people became fanatics after seeing that opening show. It may have been sub-par for die-hards, but for the casual listener it was already a great experience. Same with U2.

C ya!

Marty

You are referring to threads on RMAS. I have seen Bruce about 150 times, I first saw U2 20 years ago yesterday (how can it be 20 years?!) I was at the opening night of Bruce's last tour, which was a train wreck by Bruce standards. And yes, you are correct that people who had never seen Bruce before that night did think it was a very good show. Bruce and the band pulled it together pretty quickly and after about 10 shows really hit their groove.

I was also at the second show on the PopMart tour, which was a train wreck by U2 standards. Opening nights (and weeks) are difficult. I was at opening night of the Vertigo tour in SD (I was also at the rehearsal in LA 2 nights earlier) and I thought it was a very solid show. For an opener, it was excellent. I think in a month U2 is going to be on fire. Hopefully, the band will mix it up not only in terms of order but also in terms of selection. Bruce played over 150 different songs on the last tour, obviously U2 is not going to do that but they should have at least 40-50 songs to rotate in during the longer stands.

From the reviews I've seen coming out of The last show, I think they are already ahead of POPMART and at least if not ahead where they were on the last tour.

Back
Top Bottom