MERGED-->How Could This Happen??? + just isnt right

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Desert Dog said:
I wonder if organized crime in New York has a hand in the ticket scalping?

who knows but in NY/NJ brokering is legal (scalpers with a desk and a phone BUT the mark up is not supposed to exceed 10% right...)

I think ticketmaster people are in cohoots with the scalpers-they can take blocks of tickets out of the pool.

In other news-ouizy glad you got some good news.

You people are insane. What do you expect? Some will not get tickets, as there are hundreds of thousands of people trying to get through to get tickets for MSG. If not millions. I am sure most people that are having error messages are using wrong browsers, multiples, bad connections, slow IP addresses, wrong secuity settings or just lost out on the luck of the draw.

Ticketmaster is not in cohorts with anyone, and they are constantly audited. They are not a monopoly, and this has been proven in court and in congressional testimony.

Just becasuse you didn't get tickets doesn't mean the mob or some other stupid conspiracy theory is happening. I guarantee those shows will be filled with people that got tickets today and in days past.

Of course some scalpers got through, because they tried harder and know the system better than you.

If Ticketmaster is such an evil, get up and go to the box office. You are not entitled to anything in a public onsale. It is everyone for themselves.

Sorry if you didn't get tickets, I feel bad, but there are thousands that did in a perfectly legal manner. No band has EVER done as much to put their fans first after what happened in the initial presale.

Last edited:
just isnt right

There are over 500 auctions for U2 NYC tix on EBAY. i guess the real fans get shit on once again! people from all over buy the NYC shows ,then sell them for profit. something has got to be done!
yesterday there were only 56 auctions for nyc.

Well,

That was rather scathing, but cmb737 - please understand the frustration of a longtime fan who sees not one but 5 shows go onsale and within minutes an aftermarket company literally has a hundred tickets to each night.

Now if you can explain to me how one company can attain 500 tickets in the same hour that I cannot attain one ticket to any of the 5 shows, I would be very impressed.

Please show me the math you use.

I think we do - and please let me re-phrase the after-market company (because I just looked again) - I just counted how many tickets they are offering for the last night at MSG ALONE - they have:

423 tickets available.

Please - someone tell me how this is possible - and moreover - why this is acceptable.

jon_lemire said:
"ouizy,"

Before turning to eBay, call Ticketmaster and speak to a service rep (obviously, wait until the madness of this morning dies down). Explain the problem and ask them to check your order history -- if the error message happened while you were processing your credit card, you MAY actually have the tickets already.

This happened to me in January -- when I called TM, I learned that my order had gone through. Boston GAs!

but won't the order show up in ur history if u do???

I will, in fact, explain:

1. Most of those tickets are being sold on the speculation that they will get tickets through some means. Call the company in question and ask them how many tickets they have in hand and are ready to sell. They will not answer you.

2. Ebay auctions are the same thing.

3. Ticket Brokers have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in technology to allow them to purchase tickets. Hundreds of IP addresses, staff, phones as well as they grab up tickets from other brokers that exist within a national network.

4. Their odds of getting through are much greater as they have many more ways of trying.

The debate is not whether this is right or wrong. The fact is that it happens. It is not an insider deal by Ticketmaster. Those who choose to believe that are misinformed and being simplistic. Yes, of course there are vendors that are taking advantage of unsupervised access to the Ticketmaster terminals in their locations, but that has always been an issue that Ticketmaster is trying to control.

What I am upset about is people all to willing to blame everyone and everything for their not being able to get tickets to the most in demand concert on the face of the earth. It sucks, but it happens. It happened to me. I worked around and made other plans or arrangements. I live in a city that U2 has NEVER played, and a state they have only played once. I have to travel for every single show.

Save us the tears, as you in fact got tickets anyway. Accept the facts, and try some other way. Look at it as a challenge. The tickets are there...just have to find them.

bridonohue said:
anyone who had tickets, entered their cc info, and then had it crap out on them, give ticketmaster a call. happened to me this morning. first i checked my account but they weren't there, then i called tm and they had them in the system and i got them after all. call customer service to be sure.

This happened to me - I didn't call TM went back in for tickets - well today I received two sets of tickets for the same night at MSG - how weird - one set is better than the other - I will probably sell the other set - Has this happened to anyone else?

I've been a fan for 23 yrs. I've mostly gotten tix through several friends [tho I got tix for their '83 show here in NYC at Pier 86 myself], in the sense that their work places always had better phones [speeddail] or higher speed computers so they were more exquipped period.

In older days I would usually be the one for 4 or 5 of us to either run & get Mail orders [had special concert tix money set aside] in the neighborhood to get them out to The garden or Tix master etc. Or i'd be the one usually with one other person to go to MSG, or even out of town Philly to stand out all night to get wristbANDS for Who shows in 76.

so I've done the hard work.

But this time no one has had any luck getting tix, becuase of screw ups at work or fAMILY EMERGEBNCIES.

i'M THE ONE WHO CARES THE MOST AND i HAVE NO TIX

cmb737 said:
I will, in fact, explain:

1. Most of those tickets are being sold on the speculation that they will get tickets through some means. Call the company in question and ask them how many tickets they have in hand and are ready to sell. They will not answer you.

2. Ebay auctions are the same thing.

3. Ticket Brokers have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in technology to allow them to purchase tickets. Hundreds of IP addresses, staff, phones as well as they grab up tickets from other brokers that exist within a national network.

4. Their odds of getting through are much greater as they have many more ways of trying.

The debate is not whether this is right or wrong. The fact is that it happens. It is not an insider deal by Ticketmaster. Those who choose to believe that are misinformed and being simplistic. Yes, of course there are vendors that are taking advantage of unsupervised access to the Ticketmaster terminals in their locations, but that has always been an issue that Ticketmaster is trying to control.

What I am upset about is people all to willing to blame everyone and everything for their not being able to get tickets to the most in demand concert on the face of the earth. It sucks, but it happens. It happened to me. I worked around and made other plans or arrangements. I live in a city that U2 has NEVER played, and a state they have only played once. I have to travel for every single show.

Save us the tears, as you in fact got tickets anyway. Accept the facts, and try some other way. Look at it as a challenge. The tickets are there...just have to find them.

Look, I see that you have some valid points, but the fans on this page have many valid points, too. It is amazing that literally hundreds of tickets are available on Ebay and other ticket broker services right after the tix go on sale. It is really difficult to compete with these brokers- and I do believe that some of them are TicketBastard insiders (cant prove it, though). The avg fan, thus, gets screwed.

But, on the other hand, I think once the show gets close tix will get alot easier to be had. The ole' market kicks in. I believe that in most places you'll get a good deal- face or close or even under in some markets- the closer the show is. So, like you said, there are tickets, you just have to find them. I think you are right on there, but the others on this thread are viewing their displeasure at the initial ticket sales release, and, yes, it is a fucked up system when the ticket brokers have control at first.

In conclusion, my advice to ticket buyers is to be patient and buy tickets down the line. Most of the markets have multiple shows, and tickets, some may not be the best, will be available the closer the date gets. And even for the markets that have only one show, these are accessible if you work ebay, work this board (and other U2 boards), network amongst friends, or even show up the day of the show. It'll all work out, I think. Afterfall, some of the shows are more than a year after the Bomb album was released. A long time ago, indeed.

My friends got MSG tickets for both Nov shows in about 5 minutes but they have to collect their tickets from the box office with photo ID!! as we live in the UK!!

Maybe they should do that for all the tickets?

Thank God.... for high-speed internet !!!!
That's the only excuse I can figure here.... because a faster connection is usually an "uninterupted" connection and without problems either. I had no-ooo problems what-so-ever with
scoring tickets for NY MSG 10/8 and 10/10.
My seats are lower level section too!! Thanks TicketMaster !!
I'm one person who didn't get SCREWED.. BLUED.. or TATTOOED.

It is not an insider deal by Ticketmaster. Those who choose to believe that are misinformed and being simplistic. Yes, of course there are vendors that are taking advantage of unsupervised access to the Ticketmaster terminals in their locations, but that has always been an issue that Ticketmaster is trying to control.

Indeed. Don't blame Ticketmaster. But, you may be misinformed if you think that brokers primarily use legitimate means to acquire and to sell their tickets. Spitzer's 1999 investigation clearly demonstrated the existence of widespread insider dealing of tickets by box office managers and by small-time TM vendor outlets. Public outrage is somewhat justifiable because what exactly is the distinction between the TM corporate entity and agents of the TM corporate entity?

Spitzer's is the only public audit of TM that I am aware of. If you have other information to share, I'd be interested to read it.

I am in full agreement with your other points. Particularly that a lot of fans who failed to get tix are all too quick to blame someone else for their own ineptitude.

cmb737 said:

Ticketmaster is not in cohorts with anyone, and they are constantly audited. They are not a monopoly, and this has been proven in court and in congressional testimony.

Yes, Ticketmaster passed muster, i.e., their representatives appeared before a congressional commission and the company came out unscathed so, as far as the law is concerned, Ticketmaster is not a monopoly.

But let's remember that Ticketmaster controls ticket sales at virtually EVERY VENUE that uses a ticketing agency, big and small, in the U.S. of A. If that's not a monopoly......

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom