MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chrisedge said:
This whole "Hardcore" shit is the funniest. My dick is bigger than yours, I was a fan since '83, I have been to more shows than you SO I DESERVE TO BE IN THE EGG.

LOL. Get over it folks. Life isn't a contest.

Neither is a grocery line or a buffet line or the line to get into Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving. But the people who got there first still get to go first.

Also, not everyone here who doesn't like the system is basing it on some concept of "hardcore." I haven't been a fan since '83, I haven't been to more shows than most people, and I'm pretty damn sure my dick isn't bigger than anyone else's here- I just want the line to be run in the fairest way possible and a lottery just isn't it.

ha ha ha!!
very nice reply!
well, I still believe in my theory, that if you really wanted to be there early and in the oval, you would find away to be there no matter what. I just hate hearing all the excuses people make- sorry but I am. Im sorry if I offended anybody on my postings here, I really dont like this , so im sorry. Im done here, so forgive me.
Dave

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Neither is a grocery line or a buffet line or the line to get into Best Buy the day after Thanksgiving. But the people who got there first still get to go first.

Also, not everyone here who doesn't like the system is basing it on some concept of "hardcore." I haven't been a fan since '83, I haven't been to more shows than most people, and I'm pretty damn sure my dick isn't bigger than anyone else's here- I just want the line to be run in the fairest way possible and a lottery just isn't it.

The analogies of the Grocery store are really dumb.

The Grocery store doesn't sell a product where there is a one-time finite supply.

If it did, I'd bet there wouldn't a first-come first-served policy.

Same with ticket line-ups, the lotter system was introduced to stop scalpers hiring low-life ot wait in lines all night.

Apparently the band, on record as being tired of seeing the same people up front every night, don't want your "hardcore-fan" (LOL!!!, how big IS your dick ?) faces up there every night and have instituted a system they feel is fairer.

macphisto23 said:
ha ha ha!!
very nice reply!
well, I still believe in my theory, that if you really wanted to be there early and in the oval, you would find away to be there no matter what. I just hate hearing all the excuses people make- sorry but I am. Im sorry if I offended anybody on my postings here, I really dont like this , so im sorry. Im done here, so forgive me.
Dave

no offense taken, dave. :) everyone needs a healthy dose of perspective on this issue. bottom line: WE'RE ALL GOING TO SEE U2! above and beyond that, it's all details that don't matter too much.

chad

Dianey said:
The bottom line is that the band is driving this decision - Bono has been quoted as saying "We want the fans who have to work all day to get a chance to be up front too

Exactly, I wasn't there but I can imagine it is entirely possible he said that.

I've been a fan longer than many people here have, that doesn't make me "better, more hardcore/important" or whatever. But *maybe* it gives me more perspective. I'm not going to come down on anyone who thinks U2 is of the utmost importance in life, that's not my place. It's not for me, but if it is for you, that's your thing. But I think perhaps some people need to step back and put things in perspective. I think maybe that's what BVS meant, that perhaps being older gives you perspective. Obviously that's a generalization and there are exceptions to that.

I couldn't get any GA until the last public sale, I got one for December. But I still consider myself fortunate to be able to go at all. Most of my seats are "crap". If anyone wants to give up GAs because of this, I'll gladly take them :shrug: I have no chance now because I think I'm already at/over the ticket limit, I'm still confused about that :huh: anyway..

To be fair there were RUMORS about a lottery a while back. And I don't think U2 arbitrarily chose to do this out of thin air. My intuition tells me they were dissatisfied w/ the way things went sometimes on the last tour. So perhaps if some people had different perspective/attitudes/behavior last tour, they wouldn't have decided to do a lottery.

Any spot on the floor is good as far as I'm concerned. Frankly reading some of the posts by some people on here, I was scared of GA this time around, scared of the way some people might behave. I was prepared to get there a few hours before, that still would have been great to me.

If the lottery is run efficiently and properly, there should be no problem w/ it. Until it is, well things will go the way they will go. I know it's hyperbole, but to see someone post here about suicide because they didn't get into the rehearsal, well that confuses me. Obviously it was in jest, but to use that word, well..

I'll most likely get attacked for things I said here, it's just my take on it. I think it's a waste of time to "argue" over this.

kweber7 said:
So is it fair for some idiot to be able to walk up and be in the front row when he arrives a couple hours before the show? .

This "idiot" as you call them may have had to move heaven and earth to get there at all. Seeing as how I'm going alone to one show, at this point if my number gets picked I am much more inclined to bring that "idiot" into the oval with me, especially if they are the type who is just happy to be there at all, than the person with a sense of entitlement who refers to late arrivals as idiots.

I can understand the disappointment, and the first-come first-served argument. That was my initial reaction as well. However, we have to be mature adults about this and all this attacking of people who come late is just ridiculous. Is the show really going to be ruined for you if you are outside the oval rather than inside? I mean, if you're that attached to a particular outcome then you may find yourself having a hard time in many areas of life.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why don't you take a break from calling people names and consider the fact that some people have jobs where certain times of the year vacation time can't be used, have jobs or obligations that don't allow for planning way ahead, just try and think outside your little high school or college world of yours.

Ok, I have a problem with this post.

I've been in the work force or the "real world" for about 8-9 years now. I have a husband, mortgage, 50-60 hour work week and many other obligations that have been informed that one of the things that I will miss work, etc. for are multiple U2 Concerts.

What I have to say about that is that if your job has that kind of power over your life, they better be paying you enough for you to be able to get the PRIMO reserved SEATS. I wouldn't personally let a job have that kind of control over my life so I guess that means that I'm in a "dream world". :rolleyes:

Stuff happens. I know that. My husband & I missed one of the Denver shows on the Elevation tour because I was in the hospital with Altitude Sickness. He missed one of the KC shows because he had to fly to North Carolina for a photo shoot. He was ok with that. I probably wouldn't have been but his take on it was that he got to see two other shows.

I don't agree with the lottery system. I probably won't get comfortable with it but I'll be on that floor screaming my head off where ever U2 decides to put me. :wave:

p.s. My husband, tkramer, forgot to sign me off before he wrote the post about him being an art director that works 70-80 hours a week with a wife. :lol:

Last edited:
cardosino said:

The analogies of the Grocery store are really dumb.

The Grocery store doesn't sell a product where there is a one-time finite supply.

If it did, I'd bet there wouldn't a first-come first-served policy.

Same with ticket line-ups, the lotter system was introduced to stop scalpers hiring low-life ot wait in lines all night.

Apparently the band, on record as being tired of seeing the same people up front every night, don't want your "hardcore-fan" (LOL!!!, how big IS your dick ?) faces up there every night and have instituted a system they feel is fairer.

First, I'm a girl, so my dick's pretty small. ;)

Second, I'll admit the grocery store analogy isn't perfect. There's not a finite supply at a grocery store and with tickets, we're not talking about things people need for sustenence. I was just trying to make the point that first-come, first-serve is the sort of norm for fairness. But if you don't like the grocery store analogy, fine, then think about ticketmaster online sales. There you do have a product with a one-time, finite supply. Obviously, there's quite an element of luck in there as well, but in general, it's a first-come, first-served. You get online earlier, you get better tickets. You don't get online early, you don't get tickets. No one complains that this is unfair. In fact, I only hear people people complain about this when they were online early, but were still unable to get the tickets they wanted. Also, I mentioned this in another post, but think about day after Thanksgiving sales at Best Buy or wherever. There's definitely a finite supply there, but I still think people would view first-come, first serve as the fairest way to determine who gets what. I don't think a GA should be any different than either of these situations.

Also, I realize the band has every right to run the GA line how they want, and I can certainly understand why from their perspective they'd want to do this. And it is a lovely gesture on their part to the fans that can't get there early. I still don't think it's the fairest way to do it, but c'est la vie, I guess. And just for the record, I'm still ECSTATIC to have GA and to be seeing U2.

In other news, if I have to type the word "fair" one more time today, I'm going to bash my head against a wall, so I think I'm done with this for the time being.

Last edited:
don't you still have to be there early in the morning to get a number? it makes it sound like if you walk up right before the show all the numbers will be gone and you have no shot.

raincloud said:

Ok, I have a problem with this post.

I've been in the work force or the "real world" for about 8-9 years now. I have a husband, mortgage, 50-60 hour work week and many other obligations that have been informed that one of the things that I will miss work, etc. for are multiple U2 Concerts.

What I have to say about that is that if your job has that kind of power over your life, they better be paying you enough for you to be able to get the PRIMO reserved SEATS. I wouldn't personally let a job have that kind of control over my life so I guess that means that I'm in a "dream world". :rolleyes:

I love my job and it's not that it has "that much control", it's just certain times of the year the business I'm in doesn't allow for vacation. Just like if you worked for a tax company you're not going to be able to take a day off the week before April 15th. So this "you can always do something" simply isn't true. The paticular person I was responding to is in school and hasn't experienced this hence my response.

So I'm not sure why you have a problem with my post.

jphelmet said:
don't you still have to be there early in the morning to get a number? it makes it sound like if you walk up right before the show all the numbers will be gone and you have no shot.

Everyone in GA gets a wristband and number.

so, exactly when do you need to show up to get a lottery number? do we know a set time when the numbers are going to get chosen?

BigMacPhisto said:
We should've seen this coming.........I remember how the band didn't feel comfortable with having people waiting outside for hours on end.....whatever, it's their choice........and it does suck.....

This got glazed over but is exactly the case. 3rd leg Elevation got out of control. Word was out on the GA situation and people were camping out all night. For some venues this is just not safe, at all! (IE the United Center in Chicago!) I know the band were concerned about alot of this. I know Bono has also indicated he would have liked some other people to get the chance to be in the heart during Elevation. This is why what happened in Boston on 6-6-01 happened. The problem with that is that they changed the way it was being done without notice. Different this time out.

I dont get all the vitriol in this. It may not even be the policy, although I think its going to be something similiar. Both sides of the system have good and bad points. The major thing is the camping out though and I believe the band, management, venues and the promoters want that stopped because of security and liability issues.

But getting all pissed about it isnt going to change it. Wait and see how it works or if it even happens, then you can approach it from a legitimate place.

Blue Room said:

I know Bono has also indicated he would have liked some other people to get the chance to be in the heart during Elevation. This is why what happened in Boston on 6-6-01 happened. The problem with that is that they changed the way it was being done without notice.

Nahhhh....that was most likely the film crew who went in for the good looking people for the video shoot. I'd give the band a pass on that one but I definitely think there was a reason other than getting different faces in the heart. I mean there was a well placed fan with a flower for that video that was captured nicely during "Bad' and that was no coincidence.

This time around the want everyone to get a legitimate chance to see the band up close. If this is the case then I like it a lot.

I'd agree with whoever said that if you can't get there early, don't get GA, but it is nice that people who otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to be up front do have one now. [/B]

If I did have commitments, and assumed that things were to go like they did on Elevation, I would still get GA. I would much rather be at the back of GA than in any seat. Anyone else feel this way? I still think having GA tickets is an awesomely cool thing, regardless of where we are on the floor.

Blue Room said:

This got glazed over but is exactly the case. 3rd leg Elevation got out of control. Word was out on the GA situation and people were camping out all night. For some venues this is just not safe, at all! (IE the United Center in Chicago!) I know the band were concerned about alot of this. I know Bono has also indicated he would have liked some other people to get the chance to be in the heart during Elevation. This is why what happened in Boston on 6-6-01 happened. The problem with that is that they changed the way it was being done without notice. Different this time out.

I dont get all the vitriol in this. It may not even be the policy, although I think its going to be something similiar. Both sides of the system have good and bad points. The major thing is the camping out though and I believe the band, management, venues and the promoters want that stopped because of security and liability issues.

But getting all pissed about it isnt going to change it. Wait and see how it works or if it even happens, then you can approach it from a legitimate place.

Well, that's just far too reasonable. Honestly, where do you get off? ;)

I actually did wonder after the last tour how they were going to deal with the insanely early lining up. I still think first-come, first-served is the fairest way, and there are different ways to prevent people from waiting in line for days at a time, but I can definitely understand them wanting to address this problem. It did get pretty nuts by the end last time.

Ok, now I'm really done.

I remember that there was 1800-2000 GA tickets per venue for the elevation tour.

SO the odds of getting into the Oval will be about 25% (assuming almost everybody participates in the lottery)

I agree that the 3rd leg last time was out of control. There were people who were in the first 10-15 into the arena that were the same folks, from nowhere near where the show was, who would travel in packs, reserve the spots, sleep outside and so on. If I were Bono, I'd be tired of this as well, and I don't blame them for that.

But I think *Ally* is right - this should have been made clear prior to tickets sales. For one, there are many people who traded really great seats for GAs (and at a loss of money!!), so that they could be on the floor. I don't think they'd have necessarily all done that had they known of the lottery system. Nor do I think there would have been such a desperation to pay/overpay for GAs on Ebay, from scalpers, other fans if diehards hadn't realized that they couldn't line up and instead of being #25, they were potentially #1925 into the arena. That would have changed things for some people.

For the person who asked how this will work - I can guarantee you that venues think it's a nightmare. I worked at a venue for a couple of years as a student, and we had GA shows now and then (last one I worked was White Stripes), and I can tell you they'd rather pay a couple of security people to loosely watch over the GA line through the day than to stand there all day, giving out wristbands, and then subsequently be abused by people who don't get to go in with their group and so on. I wouldn't work a show like this, because I know it would get old real fast.

BigMacPhisto said:
Heh, would be cool if the wristbands were "HTDAAB" or U2 related..........

And for the last time, there's NOT 2,000 people with GAs.........and 1,000 is only likely at a few large arenas.........remember, the heart held like three hundred people and took up nearly half the arena.......

There are 1,800 GA tickets for each show!

brianh20 said:

Hey...I really dig my back corner of the stage on Edge's ticket, one of my most ideal spots (and paid the GA price, too). :)

What I don't understand with the complaining is that why not give someone who doesn't have all day to wait for a great GA spot, a shot at a GA spot? There might be as big a U2 fan as a lot of us on here are who might have to put in a few hours at work and doesn't have 20 hours to spend on a line. Is it fair to that guy that he gets denied because of a greater responsibility? I mean not for nothing but it's kind of selfish thinking. Lots of "me, me, me" for fans of a band who give tons to everyone else.

Don't forget that not every arena is on it's own property with a parking lot. I'm sure Madison Square Garden won't mind NOT having a long line for hours and hours on however many nights in October and November with this system.

Everyone has work and vacation days. Many people are giving up the few days of vacation time they have per year in order to be lined up all day for some of these shows. They deserve to have the best chance of getting into the Oval, Heart, Egg etc.

Alot of the input from people who have worked doors has been that they dont think venue security will want to execute this system so unless u2 is supply staff to administer the lottery i will bet you it is not going to happen that way

typically doors open at 6pm and i would suspect they would have to hand out lottery numbers 1-2 hours before that and typically by 4-5 pm there are about 800-1000 people so if 400 get in the heart then i i would say you stand a fair chance if you are there for the drawing

On the Elevation tour i felt outside the heart at the tip was a far better place to be, except for the pushing and pressure, but for the whole show you had all the action in front of you and were far enough back to see the whole deal and when they were at the tip you got super close to them

In the end you are getting to go to a U2 show, i can think of worse ways to spend the evening

I agree with you 100%. This lame assed set up always seems to allow the casual fan who happens to have a GA ticket to get the prime seats over the ones who really want it. I hate this bullshit. Same with ticketmaster's random draw shit. You put in the time you should be rewarded.

brianh20 said:

Exactly my point. It's like when Ticketmaster went to the wristband scheme sometime after Springsteen's Born in the USA tour. Anyone who was at an outlet when the stadium leg went on sale saw the insanity of exactly how long those lines were. Okay, so the deli five buildings down does booming business, but every other establishment has a line of people sitting right in front of it. Then you had to be there a few days prior because you wanted to guarantee yourself one of the six Giants Stadium shows back in '85...it was nuts. With the outlet system (at least as I remembered it before tm.com), you get a wristband and go home the day before. You come back before they call out your number, usually ten minutes before the sale time, and hopefully you get your tickets. Everyone gets an equal shot.

I've lurked here for a long while and just started posting recently so I don't want to come off as brash, a loudmouth, a troll, but to me it's like...every time you're ready to complain that GA isn't the way you wanted it, think that there's ten people who will go above face value to buy your ticket. You're going in to see what will be a show beyond outstanding. If you got GA you still have a chance of being as close as you want. There's also someone else who wants that same shot too. Now it's even. I don't see the big deal.

First come, first serve. There is nothing that is more even than that. Everyone has work and responsibilities. U2 only tours every four years and there is plenty of time to schedual things accordingly.

BWU2Buffs said:

I have not read to page 10 of the posts, but count me as one in the "disagree" camp.

This is fair to everyone. I'm just as die-hard as the next, but I report to a CEO -- what am I suppoesed to do? Call in sick? Tell the CEO I'm taking the day off to wait in line all day for good seats to a concert? Lie? Don't think so.

Guess we all have to agree to disagree on this one, but there are a lot of us who've been around for 20 plus years that can not wait in line all day, just because others can, why shouldn't I get the same chance at a good spot on the floor as you? We spent the same amount on our tickets.

If your not given any vacation time during the year, I understand your point but remember some fans will not be able to see U2 this year because their in Iraq or Afghanistan. Also, your not the only one that has to report to a CEO.

The fact is, the majority of people are given at least a couple of days or more vacation per year that could be used for the show. First come first serve works best.

STING2 said:
The fact is, the majority of people are given at least a couple of days or more vacation per year that could be used for the show.

If I were one of the many fans with a family, I'd rather use those vacation days to spend quality time with the spouse and children than looking at the outside of a concert venue.

People are acting like sitting outside a venue waiting 12+ hours for U2 is the #1 priority in life. It's not. Really.

Personally, I'd wait from 6am if I had to, but I'm coming all the way from Australia so I'd like some time to look around Boston and see a little more of the city than the Fleet Centre and my hotel. And this lottery, it seems, will allow me to do that. I think it's a fantastic idea and I am appalled by the selfishness and leaps of logic some people have made on this thread.

Axver, got to agree...I will visit Boston for the first time in October and will be able to look around the city (esp. Fenway:drool: ) without having to queue up outside whatever the arena will be called then.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I love my job and it's not that it has "that much control", it's just certain times of the year the business I'm in doesn't allow for vacation. Just like if you worked for a tax company you're not going to be able to take a day off the week before April 15th. So this "you can always do something" simply isn't true. The paticular person I was responding to is in school and hasn't experienced this hence my response.

So I'm not sure why you have a problem with my post.

This is the problem I have with GAs and waiting all day in line, etc. One of the reasons I didn't get a lot of GAs for the shows is my work schedule. Its like you have to map out 2 days for each show for "camping out", then need to factor in travel time, etc. Once you get to the city, your entire time spent there is going to be spent standing in line outside the venue waiting for the show, then 3 hours inside in the show. IMO, there are better things to do when you go to a city you've never been.

My work schedule permits me to go to a lot of the shows in nearby cities, but not for GA tix if I have to wait in line all day. With a lottery system, this becomes a moot point.

I just don't understand the creed: "the fan that goes through the most torture shall be knighted the biggest fan. Well, you camped out 12 hours for the first show, so I'm gonna outdo you and camp out 3 days for the last show." In this case, you can never win. You'll never be the first person there.

As it stands right now - no one has been ripped off. Everyone has been warned in advance of all of the concert dates how the system will be. Now, every fan that purchased GA tix has an equal chance of getting into the egg, and every fan can spend the day of the show doing whatever they want to do rather than just standing and waiting all day for the show to start.

A person that bought GA tix and was not planning to wait in line all day is not necessarily a "casual fan". Neither is a person that didn't go for GAs at all. I spent about $800 on high-price level tickets for both Denver shows, and another $500 on hotel/airfare for my sis and I to attend. I don't think that makes me a "casual fan".

Axver said:

If I were one of the many fans with a family, I'd rather use those vacation days to spend quality time with the spouse and children than looking at the outside of a concert venue.

People are acting like sitting outside a venue waiting 12+ hours for U2 is the #1 priority in life. It's not. Really.

Personally, I'd wait from 6am if I had to, but I'm coming all the way from Australia so I'd like some time to look around Boston and see a little more of the city than the Fleet Centre and my hotel. And this lottery, it seems, will allow me to do that. I think it's a fantastic idea and I am appalled by the selfishness and leaps of logic some people have made on this thread.

That is that person's choice. People should be able to spend what ever little vacation time they get per year any way they want to without being judged. In addition, how they spend that little vacation time is not an indication of their "priorities in life".

Those asking to have the regular first come first serve rules in place instead of the lottery are no more selfish than those that would prefer a lottery system that would allow them to visit x and y.

Back
Top Bottom