MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For me, this isn't about who's "hardcore" and who isn't. I realize that getting there earlier than everyone else doesn't make you a bigger fan. I also understand that some people do have obligations they can't get out of and it's not necessarily a matter of "planning ahead." So my issue with this isn't that I think I'm a bigger fan than everyone else, so I deserve to be up front. My issue is that I just think first-come, first-served is by far the most fair way to do this. It works this way for so many things in life, and I don't quite understand why this should be any different. When you get in line to buy groceries, if you got there first, you go first. It's not determined by random lottery. Why? It's not because they want their groceries more or they're hungrier. It's because people recognize that the most fair way to do it is to allow the person who got there first to have first priority. It doesn't matter if you had work or school or you had to visit your aunt. You get there first, you go first. That's just how it works.

In fact, I think in most situations, people would be righteously pissed if a lottery was used to determine who got to go first. For example, are people really this in love with the ticketmaster system of handing out lottery numbers to people who got to the outlets before tickets go onsale, regardless of when they got there? If you got there a half hour early and someone who showed up a 5 minutes before tickets went onsale got to go before you, wouldn't you think that was unfair?

On the bright side, this really does help people who simply can't be there early. I'd agree with whoever said that if you can't get there early, don't get GA, but it is nice that people who otherwise wouldn't have had a chance to be up front do have one now. Nice...just not fair.

Honestly, I'm not going to spend too much time fretting about this. The band has the right to run this however they want, and put in perspective, this isn't that big of a deal. And, really, I think most spots on the floor are going to be pretty good. But that doesn't change the fact that I really don't like this system.

I'm not saying that anyone who has an obligation is a yuppie. I'm saying that as many yuppies exist as those who have extenuating circumstances and can't wait in line. So is it fair for some idiot to be able to walk up and be in the front row when he arrives a couple hours before the show?

People are going to be shafted either way, so why not do it the fair way? Ensure that only hardcore fans get to be in front. Remember how many of you bitched when in Boston they picked the attractive people to be in front over those who had waited in line all day? Guess what, this policy is like that, but for EVERY show. It's not exactly the same thing, but the premise is the same. People who aren't that big of fans end up getting in front of people who were waiting there all day to see their favorite band in the world up close and personal. I'm saying that's a LOT less fair than a couple hardcore fans getting screwed by the first-come first-serve policy. When you have a lottery it's unfair to everyone. When you do first-come first-serve it's not unfair to people who can't make it in line...just not advantageous. Basically, a few people get screwed, instead of everyone getting screwed.

Hallelujah worded it perfectly. Lottery is simply unfair. Period.

No one yet has mentioned the fairness of it being random number either, basically screwing those going in groups bigger than two. Why can't they just have all the numbers be in a row?

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Why don't you take a break from calling people names and consider the fact that some people have jobs where certain times of the year vacation time can't be used, have jobs or obligations that don't allow for planning way ahead, just try and think outside your little high school or college world of yours.

After that last line of his I wouldn't have even dignified it with an answer.

kweber7 said:
I'm not saying that anyone who has an obligation is a yuppie. I'm saying that as many yuppies exist as those who have extenuating circumstances and can't wait in line. So is it fair for some idiot to be able to walk up and be in the front row when he arrives a couple hours before the show?

People are going to be shafted either way, so why not do it the fair way? Ensure that only hardcore fans get to be in front. Remember how many of you bitched when in Boston they picked the attractive people to be in front over those who had waited in line all day? Guess what, this policy is like that, but for EVERY show. It's not exactly the same thing, but the premise is the same. People who aren't that big of fans end up getting in front of people who were waiting there all day to see their favorite band in the world up close and personal. I'm saying that's a LOT less fair than a couple hardcore fans getting screwed by the first-come first-serve policy. When you have a lottery it's unfair to everyone. When you do first-come first-serve it's not unfair to people who can't make it in line...just not advantageous. Basically, a few people get screwed, instead of everyone getting screwed.

wow. if you put this much energy into your med school application you'll be headed to harvard med someday. :D

beatlesboy said:

I have to agree on this, I'm a bit disappointed to hear about the lottery deal.

Part of the fun of GA was sitting in line all day...

I know some will disagree but I think those who put the time in sitting in line should have the first crack at spots on the floor...

I think the die-hard fans should be able to have a bit of an advantage over the 'casual' concert goers (you know, the type who will go just because they heard 'Vertigo" on the radio!) and be able to put the work into being in the front row and not have to leave it up to luck...:|

I have not read to page 10 of the posts, but count me as one in the "disagree" camp.

This is fair to everyone. I'm just as die-hard as the next, but I report to a CEO -- what am I suppoesed to do? Call in sick? Tell the CEO I'm taking the day off to wait in line all day for good seats to a concert? Lie? Don't think so.

Guess we all have to agree to disagree on this one, but there are a lot of us who've been around for 20 plus years that can not wait in line all day, just because others can, why shouldn't I get the same chance at a good spot on the floor as you? We spent the same amount on our tickets.

Why shouldn't I be mad? I have a group of 8 people going. We're all going to be split up. None of us might get into the egg even though we want to wait more than 24 hours in advance. If some of us DO get in the egg, we have to decide who gets to go. We weren't told this policy before the ticket sale. I'm infuriated.

I wouldn't be that mad if the numbers weren't random. This is the worst policy I have ever heard of.

Worse, I have to hear whining like "wahhhh I can't be there more than a couple hours in advance i want a front row seat i'm just as big of a fan as you wahhhh."

And to the guy above. They have reserved seats very close to the stage you can buy so that you don't have to wait in line at all! GA seats were meant to be first-come first serve. That's the American way. Don't like it? Buy seats. You DON'T DESERVE the same spot as me if youa ren't willing to wait as long. What are you? Two? You're like two year olds cutting in line because you can't or don't feel like waiting.

Last edited:
I can see it now...tour 2009 and interference board goes nuts when U2 goes back to reserved seating on the floor. :)

Some of the complaining on here is laughable. I don't care if some clown only knows one U2 song, if they have the same GA ticket they are as 'entitled' as any of the so called diehards to a spot in the egg. I'd rather they didn't have this lotto(if it turns out to be true), but I can understand the venues wanting to minimize their perceived liability with people camping out for days.

kweber7 said:
Why shouldn't I be mad? I have a group of 8 people going. We're all going to be split up. None of us might get into the egg even though we want to wait more than 24 hours in advance. If some of us DO get in the egg, we have to decide who gets to go. We weren't told this policy before the ticket sale. I'm infuriated.

I wouldn't be that mad if the numbers weren't random. This is the worst policy I have ever heard of.

Worse, I have to hear whining like "wahhhh I can't be there more than a couple hours in advance i want a front row seat i'm just as big of a fan than you wahhhh."
:blahblah:

kweber7 said:

Worse, I have to hear whining like "wahhhh I can't be there more than a couple hours in advance i want a front row seat i'm just as big of a fan than you wahhhh."

a more 'mature' approach to this problem would be to say, "hey...somehow myself and 7 of my friends ALL managed to get GA tickets and we're all going to see U2 together." lots of people weren't able to get tickets, especially GA tickets....let alone 8 of them. i'm in the nosebleeds for 2 out of 3 shows and am still elated. :)

I am excited to go, but I don't want to be split up or forced to make a decision on who gets to go into the egg. If it were just the lottery I wouldn't be happy but I'd deal. The worst part is that only two people can go in together and the numbers are random. That's ridiculous.

I guess som people have to post emoticons rather than make "logical arguments" (brianh)

kweber7 said:

I'll give you some advice along the same lines as you've given to other people in here. Trade in your tickets for seats if you're that pissed.

"I'll give you some advice along the same lines as you've given to other people in here. Trade in your tickets for seats if you're that pissed."

8 seats together? I bet. Before the sale it would have been possible.

kweber7 said:

Worse, I have to hear whining like "wahhhh I can't be there more than a couple hours in advance i want a front row seat i'm just as big of a fan as you wahhhh."

And to the guy above. They have reserved seats very close to the stage you can buy so that you don't have to wait in line at all! GA seats were meant to be first-come first serve. That's the American way. Don't like it? Buy seats. You DON'T DESERVE the same spot as me if youa ren't willing to wait as long. What are you? Two? You're like two year olds cutting in line because you can't or don't feel like waiting.

Do you need your 8 friends to hold your hand at the show? If that is the case, opt for the non-egg GA. You can all be cozy together....

kweber7 said:
All I'm asking is that people who get to the show at the same time be able to stand together. Is that too much to ask?

....and the only way you can do this is by being IN the oval??

maybe i'm missing something...

Do you need your 8 friends to hold your hand at the show? If that is the case, opt for the non-egg GA. You can all be cozy together....

How is that fair to any of us? Because we're in a group we don't get to go in? Most of you have yet to provide a logical argument.

The only logical argument I've heard is that venues don't want to be held responsible for people waiting on their property.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
For me, this isn't about who's "hardcore" and who isn't. I realize that getting there earlier than everyone else doesn't make you a bigger fan.

Your post hit the nail on the head! :yes:

My use of the term 'hardcore' refering to those who would be out there in line first. These people obviously aren't just the casual U2 fans, but I didn't want that word to be taken out of context...

No we don't have to be in the egg. If 400 people get there before us, then yes it would be fair to ask us to stand outside the egg.

kweber7 said:
Before the sale it would have been possible.

Doubt it.

If you're really that concerned about keeping the 8 together and 4 of you don't get the lottery than the 8 of you stay outside the egg, you're acting like outside the egg is a horrible place to be.

kweber7 said:
I am excited to go, but I don't want to be split up or forced to make a decision on who gets to go into the egg. If it were just the lottery I wouldn't be happy but I'd deal. The worst part is that only two people can go in together and the numbers are random. That's ridiculous.

I guess som people have to post emoticons rather than make "logical arguments" (brianh)

If you bothered to look I've already made my "logical arguments" some posts back. The emoticon was there just to show how silly you looked. You don't care that someone has to go to Asia and give up his shows, maybe he doesn't care that you have 7 other people with GA tickets and that you'll all be split up. That wasn't said, instead going for a logical argument.

I don't get it. You GA people still have the opportunity to get one of the best spots in the house. And even if this policy was posted before the general sale ALL of you would've still gone for the GA. If anyone says otherwise they're lying to everyone else or to themselves. You'd still take your chances.

Can't people be happy just going to a show anymore?

This whole "Hardcore" shit is the funniest. My dick is bigger than yours, I was a fan since '83, I have been to more shows than you SO I DESERVE TO BE IN THE EGG.

LOL. Get over it folks. Life isn't a contest.

The loser I mentioned in the dress rehearsal crowd last night tried pulling that "Who was here last night?" shit, I laughed at his journal-writing-geek-ass as soon as he said it. I was probably at a U2 show when he was in diapers, yet I didn't think "My way" was the right way, just cause I'm older and have (probably) seen the band before he was born.

And for those of you with 8 people in your party, guess what? You can split up, or you can give your spot to someone who can stand on there own for 2 hours. My party is with the 4 guys on stage and EVERYONE in the crowd.

The bottom line is that the band is driving this decision - Bono has been quoted as saying "We want the fans who have to work all day to get a chance to be up front too"

Obviously the band doesn't put the same stringent requirements on who "deserves" to be up front as some fans do.

For all the people that say that they have obligations that they cant get out of????? If you cant be there, then send somebody you know to wait in line for you until you can get there, or pay them. Im just saying that every excuse someone comes up with that they can't be there, there is always away that you can be there

macphisto23 said:
For all the people that say that they have obligations that they cant get out of????? If you cant be there, then send somebody you know to wait in line for you until you can get there, or pay them. Im just saying that every excuse someone comes up with that they can't be there, there is always away that you can be there

well...then how about you fly your ass out to boston and hold me a place in line? you know, help a fellow 'hardcore' fan out. ;)

Back
Top Bottom