MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the rehearsal show was awesome- i was one of the loitering fans who was let in at the last minute.

that being said, this rumored GA policy is awful. if they want to implement a lottery system, fine, BUT TELL US THAT BEFORE WE PURCHASE GA TICKETS. people bought GAs thinking that the system was going to work like Elevation- i personally would not have purchased GAs had i known this system would be in place. or even if they hadn't come up with a GA policy when tickets went onsale, they should have at least said that there was the POSSIBILITY that the system would be changed, so that the first to line up might not be the first to get in...

the fact that this GA policy is NOT posted on U2.com is also messed up. they should at least have the courtesy to tell fans what to expect, instead of relying on rumors and hearsay. we deserve honesty, if nothing more.

Last edited:
Lots of thoughts.....

1) I think you are all wrong about the line system........here's what happens.....

A: You get there and your number is picked....you go into the egg.

B: If you have #1, even, and don't get into the egg, you will NOT be first in line for the rest of GA, unless you arrive there first.......they just aren't going to try to put people in line like that......the whole point is to get rid of the GA line altogether, so if your number isn't picked....tough luck, stick around and try to be first near the railings.....

C: Buddy up! If you're like me and attending by yourself, find someone else that is also going solo.........if one of your numbers gets picked, you and that buddy can both get into the egg.......it increases your odds......

D: speaking of odds, I have a feeling that there's about 800 GAs per venue.....it just seems like the right number.....if 200 fans all take a friend with them, that fills up the egg which is half of the floor..........so I would say your odds are 1 in 2 of being in the egg......if you have a buddy with you, your odds would be slightly better as either of the two numbers can be drawn out of the 800 to get you both in....

D) Problems may be caused by the buddy system.........I could honestly see people alligning themselves with lots of people in order to better their odds...

E) What really sucks is that you could show up at 8 AM or whatever, get the first lottery #, partner with someone who is the second #, not get in the egg.....and then watch as some rich yuppie pulls up five minutes before the drawing and grabs a number which is immediately drawn.....

F) Getting into the egg will actually be determined by the drawing, I'm presuming....if your number is chosen first, you would more than likely be at the front of the GA-egg qeue....

2) I really dislike this system altogether because it's unfair to those fans that paid $$$ on GAs on eBay and the likes......they paid all of that money because they assumed they could arrive early and be next to the stage........now, all bets our off.

3) Yuppies! The real fans would all brave the elements and wait in line for hours on end..........now, some bozo that knows three of the band's songs will be in the front row............good luck, Bono and Co. when you're singing "The Fly" or "Running To Stand Still" and the people around you don't know the words.....

Last edited:
I think this system is not fair with hard core fans like us. I am thinking they are doing this because the arenas dont want people camping outside all night. One important thing is until what time they will write up numbers on list. Maybe they will stop at 4pm and not that many people are there at that time. Maybe 500 so that means you will have a pretty good chance to get in. We will have to wait until monday to see what happens.

i just dont understand what they are trying to accomplish with this system

are they trying to prevent people from camping out and waiting in line all day?

well people will still need to do that in case they arent picked to go into the oval so that they can be the first ones in for the outside of the oval

the only thing it accomplishes is it gives people who come later the same shot at getting into the oval as the people who get there early

and that is going to piss some people off

Chizip said:
i just dont understand what they are trying to accomplish with this system

Yeah thats what I dont get - id be all for it if it was accomplishing something or could understand if it was making it easier on the venue in some way but Its not. At least I really dont see how it is?!!! :eyebrow:

the only thing it is going to accomplish is pissing people off, i just hope its a bad rumour

You are all saying that they wouldnt line up the remaining 2000, but they could very easily do it by 100s. After the 400 in the oval are let in, they let in anyone numbered 1-100, then 100-200, and so on. they could even have different colored wristbands for each set of 100 so that they can let everyone in fast. This would be relativley fast, and still work so its slightly first come first serve other than the oval.

And even after I said all that, this system just sucks! I wanna go at 7 am, meet some other hardcore u2 fans and wait all day to get up front.

Heh, would be cool if the wristbands were "HTDAAB" or U2 related..........

And for the last time, there's NOT 2,000 people with GAs.........and 1,000 is only likely at a few large arenas.........remember, the heart held like three hundred people and took up nearly half the arena.......

amarks86 said:
You are all saying that they wouldnt line up the remaining 2000, but they could very easily do it by 100s. After the 400 in the oval are let in, they let in anyone numbered 1-100, then 100-200, and so on. they could even have different colored wristbands for each set of 100 so that they can let everyone in fast. This would be relativley fast, and still work so its slightly first come first serve other than the oval.

And even after I said all that, this system just sucks! I wanna go at 7 am, meet some other hardcore u2 fans and wait all day to get up front.

but giving out numbered wristbands at 9am to determine the order to get into the venue would not discourage people from camping out, it would encourage people to start camping out much earlier...

Chizip said:

but giving out numbered wristbands at 9am to determine the order to get into the venue would not discourage people from camping out, it would encourage people to start camping out much earlier...

Not really. There would be a few hundered at most, but if they had one person giving out wristbands all day, then there would never be anyone waiting around. At 9 am you give the 100-200 people wristbands, then as people show up throughout the day you give them their wristband.

Honestly, how many people are online and read this type of forum to know that they will need to show up earlier? There might be a couple but its not like everyone with a GA ticket is looking around the internet

this doesn't address the question of how fans will be admitted after the 400 who get in the oval are selected, and as others have said, doesn't seem to solve the problem of lines forming (if the venues don't want crowds, and if that is they came up with this system).

So is it first come first served AFTER the people are assigned to the oval? Or is there a second lottery? Sounds like people have guessed about how it will work but no answers. Sheesh--incomplete info is worse than NO info. :mad:

And like many of you have said, those willing to wait in line 12 hours should get choice spots on the floor.

Chizip said:
the only thing it is going to accomplish is pissing people off, i just hope its a bad rumour

This is exactly what it's doing.

Part of the reason why i got GA's for ALL 5 SHOWS I'm going to was to be part of the GA line during the day. That's part of the fun of being a fan, to hang out with and get excited with other fans. If this is taken away, it's bullshit, plain and simple.

Bad idea, VERY bad idea. :down:

Now I'm pissed.

i think people need to put things in perspective: all of us who have GA tickets ARE GOING TO SEE U2. we all know of many people who weren't fortunate enough to get tickets at all, as well as many others who are either behind the stage or in the nosebleeds (and in many of these later cases, paid far more than the standard GA price). it may not be everyone's ideal situtation, but i don't think we should be up in arms.

innominata8 said:
i think people need to put things in perspective: all of us who have GA tickets ARE GOING TO SEE U2. we all know of many people who weren't fortunate enough to get tickets at all, as well as many others who are either behind the stage or in the nosebleeds (and in many of these later cases, paid far more than the standard GA price). it may not be everyone's ideal situtation, but i don't think we should be up in arms.

Well, it's not going to happen.

People bought GA's with the thinking that there would be a line like the last time, not this lotto crap. If anything, this is going to make things worse, bcause now people will be even more paranoid about making it into the oval. I see lineups being crazier than they were at the end of Elevation, so how exactly does this make things better?

Speaking of the people who paid far more than the standard GA price, how do you think they all feel seeing this information?

Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed the GA lines, and more than anything else I'm pissed that that may be getting taken away.

We should've seen this coming.........I remember how the band didn't feel comfortable with having people waiting outside for hours on end.....whatever, it's their choice........and it does suck.....

innominata8 said:

Hey...I really dig my back corner of the stage on Edge's ticket, one of my most ideal spots (and paid the GA price, too). :)

What I don't understand with the complaining is that why not give someone who doesn't have all day to wait for a great GA spot, a shot at a GA spot? There might be as big a U2 fan as a lot of us on here are who might have to put in a few hours at work and doesn't have 20 hours to spend on a line. Is it fair to that guy that he gets denied because of a greater responsibility? I mean not for nothing but it's kind of selfish thinking. Lots of "me, me, me" for fans of a band who give tons to everyone else.

Don't forget that not every arena is on it's own property with a parking lot. I'm sure Madison Square Garden won't mind NOT having a long line for hours and hours on however many nights in October and November with this system.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

Well, it's not going to happen.

People bought GA's with the thinking that there would be a line like the last time, not this lotto crap. If anything, this is going to make things worse, bcause now people will be even more paranoid about making it into the oval. I see lineups being crazier than they were at the end of Elevation, so how exactly does this make things better?

Speaking of the people who paid far more than the standard GA price, how do you think they all feel seeing this information?

Speaking for myself, I really enjoyed the GA lines, and more than anything else I'm pissed that that may be getting taken away.

first things first: i never made the claim that this was a better alternative. all i said was that it's not the end of the world, and that we should be happy we're going to the show b/c there are lots who aren't. as far as the GA line experience: no one is taking it away from you. if you really crave it, it'll be there. my bet is that once people get their wristband/number, they'll still wait in line at the site in case their number isn't called b/c they'll still want to get up close to the stage.

the reality is that each of these venues is pretty small and there aren't any 'bad' seats (or places to stand). remember, it could always be worse: we could be seeing them in a stadium of 100k people, or something along those lines.

People dont understand...Having fans wait out in front of an arena is brilliant...if businesses aroun are open..they make money..and the arena has a number of fans who have an interest in the proper functioning of the arena, don't want any trouble, and thus are great security.

as for people with greater responsibility suffering..are you saying that people who are in GA line dont have great responsibilities in their lives? ..they ae just able to manage them so that they can spare a day or so. Some fans go to tons of shows, doesn't that punish people with resonsibilities in their lives then as well?

I find that point to be pretty weak.

The only reasons for this I can see are

1.) it's safer for the band, ..an armed looney can't camp otu all day to get a primed spot for whatever he wants to do ( god forbid)

2.) It' prevents them from having to play to the same faces night after night after night

I think they should have posted a new GA policy when tickets went on sale so that ppl could plan

you know the demand for Ga tickets may not have been as high if they did things this way.

Arun V said:

as for people with greater responsibility suffering..are you saying that people who are in GA line dont have great responsibilities in their lives? ..they ae just able to manage them so that they can spare a day or so. Some fans go to tons of shows, doesn't that punish people with resonsibilities in their lives then as well?

I find that point to be pretty weak.

you know the demand for Ga tickets may not have been as high if they did things this way.

First off the demand for GA would've been equally as high.

Second, I think it's a very valid point. There are enough people who yeah...they're on tour with U2 doing multiple nights so they DO have all the time in the world to stand in a line. So because they go the so called extra mile that means that the local guy/gal who can't take a day off of work to stand in a line gets shut out of the egg?

Not giving EVERYONE an equal chance of being inside that thing isn't fair?

Come on now.....

The thing that bugs me the most about the posted lottery is how will it actually work? If I am 124th in line at 10:00am do I get number #124? If so, then the people I am around, my family, friends, will have the same range of numbers. Okay, so now fast forward to lottery time...Are we still in the original line? Or in a random crowd waiting to know if we get the "special" wristband? When they start calling the numbers do we then line up again in the order we are called or the same order of the line? So if you are lucky 424 that gets called do you go back in line to spot 424 and get to go into the venue 424th(and then into the egg once inside) or do you go to a new line in a new order? It seems almost impossible to do. It also seems like it would take quite a long time to organize. And then what happens to all the non-winners? Is it numerical order for them? If it is, are they going to be able to check everyone in order? This all seems like a lot of problems for no good reason. I hope it is not true.

If my scenario is true...Lining up will become even worse....because being in the top 50 in line will be very important. Those people will be the first in after the egg spots and they will get the front of the outside of the egg. Sounds dumb.

A couple weeks ago someone posted the following on one of the Yahoo! message groups I frequent. Not sure if this was ever posted here on Interference. I'm hoping this is closer to the way it'll actually go down. I'd prefer that they give out the random numbered wristbands in the afternoon, rather than make us show up at the venue in the morning, leave and have to return again later in the day. I guess we'll all know for sure after tomorrow.

From a *very* well placed source at the San Diego Sports Arena who works security for all their events, the word about how lineups and GA will be handled goes like this:

"Under no circumstances will lineups on the arena property (parking lot, etc) be allowed prior to 9am the morning of the show. Lineups will be permitted only at the North Entrance after 9pm and *random* numbered wristbands by lottery will be handed out late in the afternoon, probably around 4pm.

The number on the wristband determines your place in line and the order GA ticketholders will be admitted. Not all wristband holders will be admitted into the "pit" between the stages as wristbands will be handed out to *all* GA ticketholders. This will reduce lineup problems outside the arena prior to the random wristband drawing.

The first unknown number (because it's not known yet how many people can be inside the pit until the stage is set up at the arena) of people to be admitted inside will have the opportunity to swap out their wristband for a different wristband to stand inside the "pit" at the pit entrance inside the arena.

Wristband colors and styles will be changed on a nightly basis to prevent people from reusing wristbands or buying aftermarket wristbands.

Doors will open at 6:30."

If the random lottery for GA lineups will be used at every concert, shame on them for not making this new policy public before tickets went on sale. Now that the cat is out of the bag, U2.com should do the right thing and post the details on their website. Ticketmaster.com could also easily send out a mass email with the GA lineup policy to everyone who purchased GA tickets online. Otherwise there's going to a lot of ticked off GA ticketholders showing up early thinking it's going to work like last tour. Not everyone who bought GA tickets reads these message boards.

Last edited:
U2ITNOL said:
This blows.... I have GA's for both Glendale, AZ shows next month. If it's true they're going to give out lottery numbers in the morning and tell people who pick up lottery numbers to return later in the afternoon, that creates a bit of a problem Glendale Arena is on the FAR west side of town, about an hour drive drive from where I am on the southeast side of Phoenix. So let me get this straight... I have to spend an hour driving through morning rush hour traffic to get there just to pick up a lottery number, spend another hour driving back home, and then another hour to drive back there again later in the day? That's nuts! Especially with gas prices being what they are. If I'm going down there in the morning to pick up a lottery number, I'm staying. Anyone else driving to the arena from the other side of town to pick up their lottery number isn't going to want to leave either. If the reasoning behind this lottery system is to keep fans from waiting in line all day, it ain't gonna work!

I agree! I have GA for Pittsburgh (an hour away) and GA for Cleveland (2.5 hours away) and I'm not leaving!

ultrraviolette said:

I guess so, if a group of 4 friends goes to the show and only 1 person's number gets pulled then only 2 of them get inside. Kind of sucks if you were looking forward to enjoying the show with more than one friend.

Yeah, exactly. I was extremely excited for a few of these shows because I was going with 2 or 3 friends (who are also huge fans) that I'd never been able to see a show with. Guess that plan's out the window!

I think I understand what they're trying to do. First, they may not (as Arun pointed out) want to see the same faces at the front of the crowd every night. Also, on the last tour, it got pretty ridiculous in terms of the length of time people were waiting in line. I think they just wanted to prevent the crazy overnight waits that became pretty standard on the last leg of the elevation tour.

That said, I still think this is crap. You get there first, you get in first. Period. That's how it works in life, and that's how it should work at these shows. I realize that people have responsibilities that they can't get out of and it's nice that they'll get a chance at being up front. It's nice. But, unfortunately, not fair.

If this is indeed the way it's going to work (and I pray it's not) then I agree with everyone who's said that this information should have been posted prior to people buying tickets. This would have drastically affected whether or not people bought GAs. The default system for GA is a line, not a lottery, and people were entitled to rely on that when buying their tickets.

Finally, I'm glad to see they've found a way to start yet another giant controversy among the fans. It had been far too long since the last one. :|

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

If this is indeed the way it's going to work (and I pray it's not) then I agree with everyone who's said that this information should have been posted prior to people buying tickets. This would have drastically affected whether or not people bought GAs. The default system for GA is a line, not a lottery, and people were entitled to rely on that when buying their tickets.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. If I would have known about this BEFORE I bought a bunch of GA's I would have gone for lower level seats instead. :(

Back
Top Bottom