MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont know what I think about all this. I think we shouldnt get so riled up until we actually hear a report from the people that are at SD. I'm not really a huge fan of sitting in line all day so maybe this will be better, although on the other hand I did have a blast in the GA line in Vegas.. so I really have mixed emotions.

I do have to say I think its absolutely insane that people would be lining up already. I dont see much of a difference if you're #1 or #50 you're still going to have a kick ass view. I actually think any place on the GA floor will be sweet. :shrug:

Sicy said:
I actually think any place on the GA floor will be sweet. :shrug:

I believe this is where I begin to lose touch with some of these so-called fans. You have GA tickets in hand and you know for a fact that you will be on the floor. Yet you must complain about where you want to be on the floor. This was the toughest ticket to get this year and that is besides the fact you were able to secure the holy grail GA ones.

I am GAing twice this year and I think I am damn lucky to do that. If I am in the egg deal or if I am near the sound controls, so be it. I'm still closer to the stage than 80% of the building. I'll be in Paradise no matter what.

Roland of Gilead said:

I believe this is where I begin to lose touch with some of these so-called fans. You have GA tickets in hand and you know for a fact that you will be on the floor. Yet you must complain about where you want to be on the floor. This was the toughest ticket to get this year and that is besides the fact you were able to secure the holy grail GA ones.

I am GAing twice this year and I think I am damn lucky to do that. If I am in the egg deal or if I am near the sound controls, so be it. I'm still closer to the stage than 80% of the building. I'll be in Paradise no matter what.

RIGHT!! with this tour, U2 fans are starting to look like damn whiners! First poor Larry had to apologize on the grammy stage for the whole pre-sale ticket horror. Now everyone is all worked up cause they are worried if they get access inside the damn egg.

waaaahhhh wahhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhh:sad: :sad:

Showtime is in a couple of hours.... just stand in line, and if your damn number gets called, then luck is on your side. And if not... then like Roland said above... at least youre on the damn floor! :madspit:

Don't worry, Larry is going to apologize again and bring people who complain up on stage to sit on his lap.

I could be wrong, but I don't think U2 is going to be happy if people cause trouble over this. Once again, a few people will ruin things for others.

I'm sure anyone here who lives in a foreign country that U2 has never or might not ever play in would love to be in the back of the floor.

I went to many U2 shows before they ever did GA, and it was incredible. Anyone who would pass that up is really missing out.

I'll leave it to others to call people spoiled whiners :wink:

It just makes me laugh that some people accuse others of "not being willing to work for it". Maybe some people, myself included, don't think they always have to "beat out" other fans, always have to be inches away, etc. That doesn't make anyone a casual, lazy, or whatever fan. Or a "lesser" fan like I just read in another thread. Give me a break!

Last edited:
Roland of Gilead said:

I believe this is where I begin to lose touch with some of these so-called fans.

Because I want to have some control over where I'm standing I'm a so-called fan? I'll be pretty happy wherever I end up and thrilled to be seeing U2 no matter what, but I still don't like this system. I wish people on both sides would stop accusing people on the other side of being "lesser" fans in some way. People who don't want to wait in line aren't less "hardcore" and people who think a random lottery isn't fair aren't just spoiled whiners.

Another thing about the lottery: a lot of previous posts mentioned that during Elevation many GA ticket holders would cut in at the last minute in front of the people that had been waiting in line all day once the gates were opened. Another reason not to wait in line all day IMO. The lottery does away with this problem - its fair game for everyone.

the best system they could do is to hand out wrist bands early in the morning... color code them by hundreds...

white wrist bands get in the egg... red ones are the first non egg people... black ones are the second 200 non egg people... etc. etc. etc.

then you can have set times for entry... black wrist bands line up at 4pm... red wirst bands at 4:45... black wrist bands at 5:30... etc. etc.

that way if you want to stick around the parking lot, hang out, tailgate, etc. you can... if you want to leave and go to a bar, get some lunch, check out the city if you're from out of town... you can. it's the best of both worlds.

they really should put me in charge of this shit... my rules rule

Headache in a Suitcase said:
the best system they could do is to hand out wrist bands early in the morning... color code them by hundreds...

white wrist bands get in the egg... red ones are the first non egg people... black ones are the second 200 non egg people... etc. etc. etc.

then you can have set times for entry... black wrist bands line up at 4pm... red wirst bands at 4:45... black wrist bands at 5:30... etc. etc.

that way if you want to stick around the parking lot, hang out, tailgate, etc. you can... if you want to leave and go to a bar, get some lunch, check out the city if you're from out of town... you can. it's the best of both worlds.

So you instead get people queueing from the night before which is kind of what they are trying to stop happening?

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with this rumoured system. All I know is that there are greater tragedies in the world to worry about. I'll do all I can to get in the bomb shelter, but if I dont, you can bet your ass I'll still be rockin out and singing like a bird for two hours that night.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

I'm sorry I even suggested that. I was completely wrong about what she meant. But I don't think it's absurd for someone not to want to go to the trouble of GA (even with this system it's still more trouble than a reserved seat) when (a) they have no idea what seat they'll end up with with GA and (b) they can guarantee themselves a very good reserved seat. I don't understand what's so wrong about wanting to control what spot you have.

If you want to control what spot you have, you shouldn't be buying GA.

U2 made no guarantee whatsoever about what kind of system would be used.

cardosino said:

If you want to control what spot you have, you shouldn't be buying GA.

Why not? It was perfectly reasonable to assume that a first-come first-served line was going to be the system used for this tour. Every GA line I've ever been in (including the ones from the last U2 tour) has used that kind of system, and it is one that gives you some control over where your spot is. So regardless of what system I actually prefer, I don't think my expectations were out of line.

Is anyone reading the other posts? Now everyone is saying there is no lottery. Fans have been lined up since late last night and no one has mentioned a numbered lottery to the line.

tkramer said:
Is anyone reading the other posts? Now everyone is saying there is no lottery. Fans have been lined up since late last night and no one has mentioned a numbered lottery to the line.

If you read all the posts you will see it hasnt been officially confirmed either way. A early morning security person could be completely misinformed. The main venue staff is probebly just arriving, those are the people that will know most likely.

I dont think we will know for sure until this afternoon.

Looks like I picked the wrong day to quit sniffing glue....:wink:

Too excited bout all this! I just hope there isn't a lottery. Regardless, this is going to be great, so happy for everyone down in SD! :hyper:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

LOL!!! Actually, my wife and I had this conversation last night. Why don't they hire a fan to go on tour with them? Have them run the line and when the show starts they can go in and catch 90% of every show. Pay them a low salary and call it good. It would save about 275,000 headaches on this tour...

Why not? It was perfectly reasonable to assume

"reasonable to assume" ???

I guess therein lies th eproblem.

Lots of assumptions, no actual facts.

Dangerous grasshoppa, very dangerous......

that a first-come first-served line was going to be the system used for this tour. Every GA line I've ever been in (including the ones from the last U2 tour) has used that kind of system, and it is one that gives you some control over where your spot is. So regardless of what system I actually prefer, I don't think my expectations were out of line.

And they may yet prove to be correct. However an assumption that things would work out a certain way isn't exactly the same as an entitlement, and I can't believe how many U2 fans here display such a bizarro sense of entitlement, when all you're really entitled to is the same thing as the guy who has heard Vertigo once and was given his ticket by a friend who couldn't make it: a spot on the floor.

Anything else is gravy

cardosino said:

However an assumption that things would work out a certain way isn't exactly the same as an entitlement, and I can't believe how many U2 fans here display such a bizarro sense of entitlement, when all you're really entitled to is the same thing as the guy who has heard Vertigo once and was given his ticket by a friend who couldn't make it: a spot on the floor.

Anything else is gravy

I don't feel any kind of entitlement. I just want a GA ticket.

A Lottery ticket is not a GA ticket.

Gen Admin. by definition is first come first serve no seats to sit in. Is it so wrong to expect the ticket you buy to be what they claim it to be?

(I will add that I don't think one is better than another, I have no idea how well a lottery would go, I just like the seller to be straight with me.)

Last edited:
tkramer said:

Gen Admin. by definition is first come first serve no seats to sit in. Is it so wrong to expect the ticket you buy to be what they claim it to be?

(I will add that I don't think one is better than another, I have no idea how well a lottery would go, I just like the seller to be straight with me.)

:hmm: lets examine that statement.

Per Websters

general: not limited in area, scope, application

admission: the act of allowing to enter

So basically there is no set way to allow to enter when it comes to general admission!! ;)

Of course I'm joking. But I thought the definitions were interesting in the context of this discussion.

Blue Room said:

:hmm: lets examine that statement.

Per Websters

general: not limited in area, scope, application

admission: the act of allowing to enter

So basically there is no set way to allow to enter when it comes to general admission!! ;)

Of course I'm joking. But I thought the definitions were interesting in the context of this discussion.

LOL! I suppose you are right, by way of Websters' dictionary. Actually, I did my definition by what I've seen on Ticketmaster, etc. Here is the def at ticketmaster, which is where I bought it:

My tickets say "General Admission." What does that mean?

General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE basis. When purchasing tickets for a General Admission event, you may be quoted section, row, and seat numbers, however these are for inventory purposes only and do not reflect any actual seating location. Please ensure you carefully read the Event Information and Ticket Information screens when purchasing tickets: Any information on whether your tickets are General Admission will be posted on one or both of these screens. Seating arrangements vary for each event, and there may or may not be seats of any kind available. Ticketmaster cannot guarantee seating for any event that is sold as General Admission.

cardosino said:

"reasonable to assume" ???

I guess therein lies th eproblem.

Lots of assumptions, no actual facts.

Dangerous grasshoppa, very dangerous......

No actual facts? How about the fact that at 100% of the shows I've been to, GA has been run in the way I described. How about the fact that last time, U2 used that system. No, my conclusion wasn't based on any policy U2 put forth for this tour, but in the absence of something that we had no reason to believe we'd get, it wasn't unreasonble to conclude (;))that the system would be the same as I'd seen it every other time I'd ever been to a concert.

Also, I just want to say that I'm not really taking this argument that seriously. I just find it fun to debate this.

I just saw this on the AtU2 site. My question is, how do they know if you are a U2.com member? I'd guess I'm not the only paid member who never received the promised member card stuff in the mail...

Official word on GA lineups

We've received official confirmation from U2's publicity staff on the procedure being used for the GA lineups:

"There are 2 lines: one for U2.com, one for the others. The U2.com line will be allowed in first, tickets scanned, and random selection will determine if the ticket holder gets into the ellipse or not.

Fan club members will be allowed the first entrance into the arena.

Once the fan club line has been exhausted, the other GA line will go through the same process."

if fan club GA tickets were going for a lot from brokers before, starting today they are going to be going for an absolute fortune. That's great you get the chance to get into the oval thing, plus get to go in first so that if you're not in the oval thing, you get first choice outside of it.

But, what time is the cutoff time to do this? U2.com presale GA people need to know to be there when they do this. Because it won't matter much what time you get into the U2.com line if there are only a certain # got those GA tkts and its a certain time they let you in.

Hello to all,

I agree with most people here and think that this lottery system sucks, it brings in very bad possible scenarios for true, hardcore fans: now the fan who has loved them for 20 years and who is a fan club member and waited in line for a day and places U2 in a special place in their life can possibly get screwed and not get into the "ellipse". Whereas the guy and his wife who bought 2 tickets after work for $1000 can get into the heart and know 2 songs. It's not the end of the world here, but if you're not in the heart, you can't move for the entire night, no food, no drinks, no bathroom break, no nohting, and that in my mind is a serious disadvantage. I think that the true fans should get any possible advantage over the average concertgoer. So first come, first serve eliminates these possible disadvantages and guarantees good results for dedicated fans who are willing to camp out for tickets and the night before the show. I do not believe that U2 would be in agreement with this lottery system at all.... If we were to make our voices heard in an official manner, in the form of a petition from the head of the site and in conjunction with other sites, and made U2 aware of this, or their management, we can get this lottery system cancelled. Look what they did for the second wave of pre-sales. It is possible and we are the ones that can make it happen !

As probably posted before, its not whether you are a member of U2.com, but whether the ticket itself was purchased during the U2.com pre-sale. That's it. If you give a monkey a ticket bought during the pre-sale, he can get in the U2.com pre-sale line.

XBL

laura_somers said:
I just saw this on the AtU2 site. My question is, how do they know if you are a U2.com member? I'd guess I'm not the only paid member who never received the promised member card stuff in the mail...

Official word on GA lineups

We've received official confirmation from U2's publicity staff on the procedure being used for the GA lineups:

"There are 2 lines: one for U2.com, one for the others. The U2.com line will be allowed in first, tickets scanned, and random selection will determine if the ticket holder gets into the ellipse or not.

Fan club members will be allowed the first entrance into the arena.

Once the fan club line has been exhausted, the other GA line will go through the same process."

Back
Top Bottom