MERGED->GA Queues - Elevation Pics?+What does one do all day while on line for GA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmattyh

Acrobat
GA Queues - Elevation Pics?

For all the crusty veterans here - I'm wondering if you'd be so kind as to post some of your pictures from the Elevation GA lines? For those of us who have never camped out for hours waiting for GA, we don't really know what to expect. I'm picturing a bunch of people all just sitting on blankets, hanging out and chilling along the side of the arena, but I have no idea whether this is a valid mental picture or not.

That's why I'm wondering if anyone has some pictures from waiting in line for Elevation. I'm looking forward to the experience a lot, and am curious about what it's going to be like. Can ya help me out?

(Mods - I didn't put this in Fan Experiences because it seems like that forum is set aside for Vertigo Tour experiences. If you know somewhere better for this, go ahead and move it, but I think this is pretty relevant for General Tour Discussion. Thanks.)

This is about how I have GA pictured:
GA.gif

Let me know whether this is accurate or not. And note that it is difficult to draw when a) you suck at art, b) you're using a touchpad, and c) you're not really trying. :D

lol @ your pic.. yeah that is pretty much it :D

I'll post some pics later :up:

it's enough to get me excited :hyper:

I could go for a little dancing...
:dance:

your picture rocks :D

Last edited:
Yeah, the weather has a lot to do with how fun or painful the experience is... When it's cold and rainy it's not that fun, but on a nice sunny day it's just fine.

here is a picture i took in boston of the queue... it was quite fun that day - everyone was really nice.

1j68oi

You forgot to draw me with a shotgun shooting the bozo who said "U2 sucks".

How about ideas on what to bring with you for the line - of course weather depending for clothes etc, but any ideas not normally thought - share your wisdom experienced GA'ers!
Music? Games? Drinks? ? ?
What helps pass the time?

TC said:
How about ideas on what to bring with you for the line - of course weather depending for clothes etc, but any ideas not normally thought - share your wisdom experienced GA'ers!
Music? Games? Drinks? ? ?
What helps pass the time?

marijuana and finding a quiet alcove for masturbation

I'm really new at this. Where do you put all of your stuff (chairs, blankets, etc.) during the show?

u2u2u2 said:
I'm really new at this. Where do you put all of your stuff (chairs, blankets, etc.) during the show?

You have to throw it away.

they give you a chance to put it away a few hours before the doors open

You put your stuff back in the car before they start letting people in.

Here are a few pics from Vegas.

A banner we made and all signed:

342%3A6%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323768%3C2%3A474ot1lsi

Me and LarryMullens_POPAngel.. you can see the mess of a line behind us :lol: It all came together though when it was time to go in.

342%3A6%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323768%3C287%3B5ot1lsi

Someone from the news even stopped by to interview..

342%3A6%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp54%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323768%3C2%3A562ot1lsi

A bit more of the line in the background..

342%3A6%3A%3A%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3B94%3D65%3A%3DXROQDF%3E2323768%3C2%3B345ot1lsi

Good times!

dafish1234 said:
What's it like lining up in MSG?

It feels a bit odd sleeping rough in NYC. The area around 7th Ave and 33rd St. is not the best part of Manhattan. A lot of strange people passing by all night, but we did have NYPD cars driving by all night making sure we were safe.

Quote:
Originally posted by dafish1234
What's it like lining up in MSG?

It feels a bit odd sleeping rough in NYC. The area around 7th Ave and 33rd St. is not the best part of Manhattan. A lot of strange people passing by all night, but we did have NYPD cars driving by all night making sure we were safe.

Hey I did some good camping out at Roseland for the Rolling Stones Roseland Ballroom show. Got some offers by some prostitutes but I turned them down. It was funny to see them getting bitch slap by their Pimp in the limo car.

That MSPaint picture is EXACTLY how GA lines are. To a tee :up:

Except, in my experiences, nobody knew what the line was for and shouted questions at us, including "Who's U2?" :|

Anyway.. my advice:

Bring heavy blankets and pillows.
Bring comfy and portable chairs (be sure to get the water-resistant kind).
LOTS of food and water. Most of the time, especially in more downtown areas and at concerts where there's more competition, it's difficult to get anything except at a gas station, if you're lucky.
Later in the day, don't even bother to leave unless you're putting stuff in your car -- I've seen plenty of people get cut in front of, to an insane degree. All the people who are inexperienced or ruthless will try to skip ahead of you, out of ignorance or lack of compassion. :| Not to say fans can't be trusted, but there's plenty of people out there who will do anything to get ahead.
Wear sensible clothes. No miniskirts and tank tops, kthnx. This is an extreme example, but the entire line in Chicago, October '01 was laughing their asses off at a group of girls in tube tops and miniskirts when it was absolutely freezing. I saw several other groups like this at other shows, but they were the worst.

Thank goodness I'm only going to one show in GA this time. GA is definitely worth it, but I can't stand the thought of doing it again. :crazy:

Thanks for the pics, everyone - I'd love to see more if you've got some. It looks like the level of enjoyment is directly proportional to the weather... or presence of shelter.

I must say, annej5, you all look pretty miserable up there in Seattle. For the most part, I miss home - but I certainly don't miss being outside in that constant drizzle. Makes me glad I'm going to see them in Chicago and not back in Seattle. :)

No miniskirts and tank tops
I'll keep that in mind. I can't make any promises though. :D

You forgot to draw me with a shotgun shooting the bozo who said "U2 sucks".
Enjoy:
GA2.gif

fmattyh said:
Thanks for the pics, everyone - I'd love to see more if you've got some. It looks like the level of enjoyment is directly proportional to the weather... or presence of shelter.

I must say, annej5, you all look pretty miserable up there in Seattle. For the most part, I miss home - but I certainly don't miss being outside in that constant drizzle. Makes me glad I'm going to see them in Chicago and not back in Seattle. :)

Yes fmattyh, it was a long day but I am ready to do it again this time !!! :)

Question about leaving the line to take your stuff back - if we're staying in a hotel (no car- flying in for show) how long is a reasonable time to leave to take our things back to the hotel if 1 of us stays to hold our place? 1/2 hour? less? more? Don't want to get yelled at or lose our spot, but need to have a plan in place so we know what we're doing.
Sorry if this is dumb question, but we're new to the GA line thing!
Thanks

Don't worry about that too much, people are really cool in the GA line... U2 fans are the nicest people, you'll see! From my experience, you can leave for 1/2 hour or maybe even more as long as it's not too late in the day, and that you know the people around you (which you will if you're at least a bit social). It's just a question of not abusing it. For example, if someone spends the whole day going away and never really being in the line, people will get annoyed, but as long as it's reasonable and for a good reason (like briging your stuff back to the hotel), it's fine. Also, if you are yourself with a group, you can just send one or two people back to the hotel or something.

Honestly, by the time you will want to bring your stuff back, you probably be more nervous about coming back before things get serious. Sometimes around 4 or 5pm, the security people would check everyone's ticket and mark it, even sometimes giving out wristbands outside. So you want to be there when that happens. But they will warn people in advance. Actually, I think that most GA lines I've been too, security would warn everybody that they needed to bring their stuff back and be back in line before a certain time. Like they would highly recommend that no one leaves the GA line (except to go to the bathroom maybe) after 5pm, for example.

Back
Top Bottom