MERGED --> GA or Seats + GA vs. reserved seats???????(help)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FullonEdge2

Refugee
GA or Seats

Just yesterday I was talking to a friend and the discussion of U2's next tour came up. He's probably not quite as big a fan as I am, but we both want to see them when they come this way.

That said, we were arguing over what kind of seats to get. I mentioned GA because I guess the tickets are a lot cheaper and you get close to the band. He said that might be cool, but he wants his own space. He isn't too keen on being in the "mosh pit" section. I just don't know if i want to spend a small fortune on good "seats."

Can anyone speak from past experience? Is it really annoying in the GA? Is the sound quality really that much better in the seating area than in GA? Do you feel out of it in the nosebleeds? Are nosebleeds still a lot more expensive than GA?

Answers would be much appreciated.:(

I went to an Elevation show with my parents. We had to drive 2 hours to get to the venue, plus it wouldn't have been possible for us to get there too early because of their jobs. Therefore, queuing up in GA lines wouldn't have been an option...so who knows where we would have been stuck standing? We liked having seats...there was no rush to get there, and it's nice to have a guaranteed spot waiting for you.

Also, this might sound weird to some people, but I stress over everything and am prone to panic attacks...I think that going the GA route would be way too stressful for me. :crazy: I'd rather be farther away with a specific spot.

I've done everything from Cibo Matto to Tina Turner. I've paid five dollars at the door and 500.00 bucks for Rolling Stones on the floor.

Guess what?

My two favorite shows were U2 and Bruce Springsteen. They were GA ticket shows and both times I was front and center. I will never do seats again unless I have to. GA isn't for everyone but you can't beat the feeling...

sorry for the stupid question (never been on a U2/other-big concert):

how sure can you be that you'll get the tickets in GA? If there's no more tickets, did you just missed a concert, or? :(

I've been to 2 GA concerts and 2 seated concerts, and the seats don't even compare to GA.

With seats, if you wanna stand, you piss off the people behind you. If you wanna jump around, you have to watch you don't bang into your own seat or the one in front.

With GA, you can jump around and scream and feel like you're really part of a group of fans who just love being there.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend GA if you're really small, as you'll suffocate and/or be trampled to death...

DaveC said:
I've been to 2 GA concerts and 2 seated concerts, and the seats don't even compare to GA.

With seats, if you wanna stand, you piss off the people behind you. If you wanna jump around, you have to watch you don't bang into your own seat or the one in front.

With GA, you can jump around and scream and feel like you're really part of a group of fans who just love being there.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend GA if you're really small, as you'll suffocate and/or be trampled to death...

Thank you for the last sentance my mind has been made up!

FullonEdge2 said:
How do the expenses compare? Is the sound quality noticeably better in the seats?

Expenses are impossible to know until they give us the info. Last time a GA seat was 45 bucks and a close seat was 130.00. So really you could get much closer for about a third of the price. This was done to pump young blood into the shows. It worked great, as the band picked up new fans who were younger will less $$$ and wanted/willing to stand the whole show. (And the sometimes grueling line wait.) Older fans or fans who didn't want to deal with it bought the seats at a higher price.

Sound is a mixed bag from show to show. Depends on the venue, etc. I will say the sound was good at every show I saw on the floor. (Technically you will get a rawer less balanced mix there than say thirty rows back when the sound starts to disperse. I like it myself. It sounds very "live." As always sound is muddy and boomy in the back and in the corners. And every arena has "dead" spots where the sound just isn't as good.)

The most important thing to remember with GA is go with the flow. If you're going to have a panic attack over small things DON'T DO IT. Too many people freak themselves out and ruin the show experience for themselves.

If any of the following sound like they would ruin your mood or cause a panic attack please pass on it.

• You don't have a seat waiting for you.

• Two people cutting in line twenty people in front of you.

• Mismanaged security suddenly forming two lines and they let one line go before yours, thus sending 50 people in front of you, and you got there before all of them.

• The weather turns bad and you stand for eight hours in 40 degree weather while rain pounds your head.

etc.

I've done this stuff enough to never let it bother me. I always get a great view of the stage, and I manage my expectations of others. This goes a long way for enjoying the show more.

- T

Actually, I had GA for 2 of the 3 Elevation shows I went to and I didnt get trampled at all. Once I was in the heart and once I was just outside of the heart. Amazingly, U2 fans are just really respectable. I had plenty of my own space. :shrug:

I'd much rather have GA.

GA vs. reserved seats???????(help)

I have only been to one concert in my life and it wasn't U2 :( ), ( i know pathetic. but i am only 16), so i was wondering some things:
1. General Addmission is standing in front of the stage on the floor right?
2. which is better: GA or close reserved seats?
3. also for GA how long before the concert should one arrive approximatly ( i know that's stupid to ask at this point in time, but just an educated guess will do)?

Thanks in advance!

Re: GA vs. reserved seats???????(help)

Estel_Black said:
I have only been to one concert in my life and it wasn't U2 :( ), ( i know pathetic. but i am only 16), so i was wondering some things:
1. General Addmission is standing in front of the stage on the floor right?
2. which is better: GA or close reserved seats?
3. also for GA how long before the concert should one arrive approximatly ( i know that's stupid to ask at this point in time, but just an educated guess will do)?

Thanks in advance!

hey, it's not pathetic. We've all been there at one time or another.

1. GA is standing on the floor, BUT not necessarily right in front of the stage.
2. It depends, if you don't mind a sea of people pressing against you all night and standing/sitting on concrete for several hours, then GA is pretty cool.
3. For Elevation, we showed up about 5 hrs before showtime and there was alot of people there already; however we still made it to the outside front of the heart.

hope you enjoy your first U2 show!!!

If you go GA you will be surrounded by the people who are REALLY up for the show. You might get pushed about a bit, and if you're under 6 foot (like me) you will people's heads in the way. But nothing at a concert beats the feeling of being in a good GA crowd - if you go in the seats you do run the risk of being surrounded by a bunch of people who insist on sitting down which totally drains the experience.

For a first time, go for it but don't get too near the front if you don't think you'll like getting a little squashed (though it's not bad at a U2 gig). One other thing to remember about GA, if it gets a bit tight where you are then you can simply move back a few rows, get all your space back and enjoy the gig.

is the back or middle of the GA still worth it? i dunno if the people i go with would wanna wait the whole day.........

if it was a 730 show and i got there at 5 lets say, where would that put me on the floor?

Last edited:
Bonochick said:
I went to an Elevation show with my parents. We had to drive 2 hours to get to the venue, plus it wouldn't have been possible for us to get there too early because of their jobs. Therefore, queuing up in GA lines wouldn't have been an option...so who knows where we would have been stuck standing? We liked having seats...there was no rush to get there, and it's nice to have a guaranteed spot waiting for you.

Also, this might sound weird to some people, but I stress over everything and am prone to panic attacks...I think that going the GA route would be way too stressful for me. :crazy: I'd rather be farther away with a specific spot.

I'm a seat person too :hug:

Plus, at the Tampa show for elevation, everyone stood anyway, so it still felt like there was great energy at the show :)

(But I have been to shows for other groups where I want to stand and everyone else sits, that does suck :( )

AAACCCCKKK I can't make up my mind!!!!!! GA or seats, GA or seats, GA or seats?
I hate waiting in lines and seas of people, but i want to stand up (and jump and dance) and be able to see and hear (I have a membership so i'll be able (hopefully) to get good seats). UUGGHH why such a hard decision?????

I had to make certain adjustments in 2001, but I was able to have two enjoyable experiences in Atlanta, and I'm taking a bit of a "leap of faith" in hoping for an Atlanta third leg date *or* just counting my blessings for having been able to see U2 four times when there are plenty of people who have never gotten to see them. I went the GA route the first time and absolutely did not regret it. It was an incredible experience. I wasn't able to get GA the second time because there wasn't a presale and I had to get nosebleed tickets because I was dealing with Ticketmaster, or as some of us call it Ticketbastard. This time things are a bit different as I've got arthritic knees now and I'm afraid that trying certain things that worked four years ago just won't work now. I want to have an enjoyable experience, otherwise I might as well not have an experience at all.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the GA Line experience. Most of my memories from the last tour were from the lines. I still have probably 20 people I keep in contact with that I met in line. Hell, I met my future wife in line.

GA is where it is at, regardless of size, stature, experience, or age. Just don't take my ticket! See you in the bullseye!

PrideOfU2 said:
Can I buy two presale GA tickets and two not presale GA tix and still be standing together???

What??

The ticket has nothing that signifies where you must stand. If you want to stand together, you get to the venue at the same time, get in line together and stay put during the show.

GA is that. You walk in...and there is the floor. Nothing else. Stake your claim.

Just don't be the asshole holding onto 11 feet of rail saying "I'm saving this for my brother who is running late".

Just don't be the asshole holding onto 11 feet of rail saying "I'm saving this for my brother who is running late". [/B]

HAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: Thanks! I'm a first timer and am quite clueless... Dont ya love it!!! :p

Is it possible to be in the back work your way to the catwalk during the show? Like, if I just wanted a few minutes up close with Bono? I like to wonder during shows. I only need a little rale time. Also, is the view from the middle and back still okay for someone 5' 8"? I saw kiss and aerosmith front row once and it was amazing on the catwalk. I've sense U2 more than once, but with seats. I want GA. I will not wait in line for hours either.... Just want to know if this is route to go.

SMB

one4u2 said:

Thank you for the last sentance my mind has been made up!

ok you are not going to get trampled to death... I am only 5ft and was inside the heart twice and did not get anywhere near that. People were courteous and not that aggressive..

One4u2, think about some...There is nothing like the experience of being right there on floor within feet of the boys.! Outer body experience for me and would have it no other way!

Back
Top Bottom