MERGED --> GA Line...Camp Out or Wristbands? + For fans with experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miroslava said:
A beer? You're telling me you would leave the inner pit to go get a beer?

:eyebrow:

:|

Are you disrespecting the Irish? :wink: I'm fairly certain U2 want me to have that beer. I guess as much as I like the idea of being as close to the stage as possible, I hate the idea of being stuck in the same spot for 2 hours b4 they come on. I spent 4 hours in line and stagefront in Brooklyn last month and it was well worth it though, so maybe I should shut up.

lazarus said:

Perhaps the powers that be just figure American are too selfish and feel too entitled to be trusted...

laz

You couldn't be more wrong.

One word strikes fear into the promoters more than anythign else when GA is being contemplated : LAWSUIT

After the Elevation tour, I strongly vote for Lottery (at least in the US). Most GA ticketholders don't show up until later anyway, so if the lottery were at 5 or 6pm the night, you are likely talking about 500 people; a friend of mine arrived after 5pm for Elevation Boston and just missed getting in the heart; he still had a spot in the front of the railing outside the heart (and maybe a better view that I had inside).

This way people who work for a living don't have to take vacation to line up outside of a venue all day (sometimes in the cold); U2 doesn't get sick of seeing the exact same people front and center for every show; and everyone still has a good seat.

Well if U2 is truly sick of seeing the same people up front all the time, and want "people w/ jobs to be able to be up front" which Bono allegedly said last time, it seems to me they would support a lottery. A lottery is more fair than pulling people from the back of the line to go in before others who have been there all day, if the goal is to give others a shot other than the same people all the time.

I only had GA for Bruce once, on the Vote For Change tour, and they did a lottery- but it was messed up, disorganized, and some people cheated. From what I heard when it was done on the Rising tour it worked. Allegedly Bruce got sick and tired of the same people all the time, and of people who cheated and ran the lines and cheated w/ that too.

U2fan05 said:
What's the earliest that anyone has heard of people camping out for? I'm ok with 8am or later, but there's no way i can wait earlier than that. I've heard of people waiting for 2 days for Springsteen!

On the first leg of the tour, I don't think it was so bad. At the Chicago show I went to in the spring, I think the earliest anyone got there was at 5am. If you got there by 8am, you would have had a great spot.

On the third leg, however, it got a little ridiculous. At the second Chicago show in the fall, a friend and I were determined to be up front. So we got in line immediately after the first show ended (that was about 11pm the night before the show we were lining up for) and we were about 50th in line. We ended up with awesome spots, but it was a little insane that we got there that early, and there were still 50 people in front of us. The situation was similar at the St. Louis show. Not sure how crazy it was at any other shows, since those were the only shows I went to.

Also, technically, the United Center had a rule that you could only line up so many hours before the show, but that rule was completely ignored by both the fans and the venue. I don't know if other venues enforce those rules more strictly.

Super_Fan said:
You mother F**kers got this idea from people who screwed the GA line for Bruce Springsteen. I have a duty to make sure this will not happen for U2. I knew after Bruce did this that it would lead to U2. You Lazy Bastards, put your time into your spot not hoping for freakin dumb fuck luck! First Come First Serve! People that have abused the GA system will not get away with it at the shows I am at. It will be done fair. The tour has not started any shows, and we are all getting into this. If the Bruce GA lottery comes and effects U2 GA, I will start a campaign against this GA lottery.

This guy is 100% right. Too many people are always looking to even things out when there is no need for it.

It seems pretty simple to me, FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE..this way the people who want it the most, get it.

If you have work or whatever....TOO BAD!!!

It shoud be this way with the ticket sales as well.

grant72 said:

This guy is 100% right. Too many people are always looking to even things out when there is no need for it.

It seems pretty simple to me, FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE..this way the people who want it the most, get it.

If you have work or whatever....TOO BAD!!!

It shoud be this way with the ticket sales as well.

Being able to be in a line at 8am does NOT mean that those peole want it any more than some others who can't make it. There could be amyriad of other reasons people can't make it as early as others, wanting it more isn't necessarily one of them.

Still, by the same token, I guess we could just say, "think tickets are too expensive, you must not want them enough, too bad, other people can afford them, they must want them more"

Absolutely. Everyone in the line has a job. we are making the choice to use vacation time or take time off.

Going on how little U2 seemed to care about the GA line last time I think it is probably that there will not be a lottery.

Then again I might be wrong, and I will sell all my GA tickets on Ebay because it will suck being on the floor.

cardosino said:

Being able to be in a line at 8am does NOT mean that those peole want it any more than some others who can't make it. There could be amyriad of other reasons people can't make it as early as others, wanting it more isn't necessarily one of them.

There is a direct correlation between wanting it and time of arrival. Those of us who camp out have set our lives up (with choices dating back years) to be available for this sort of thing. We have made the sacrifices financially and emotionally to be able to do this.

I guarantee the first night in San Diego if they do a lottery, there will be a riot. No violence or anything but it will be very very very ugly. Regardless of what people say on here, EVERYONE is making their ticket buying decisions based on how the last tour ran (which was incredibly smooth and effective). GA's are the most sought after ticket for a reason, they were not on the last tour first leg.

If you want, get there. Make the choice, pay the money, take the time off, hire the babysitter, pay the airfare, make the arrangements, just do it. Besides, its almost as fun as the show itself.

The GA is a license to enter the arena. Nothing more.

There are no rights conferred on those who arrive early, nor should there be.

Unless there is a clear process communicated ahead of time by the band or the venue, entry can be by any organized means, whether it is in numeric order or by random lottery.

I took a total of 7 workdays of vacation on the last tour and waited in line all day for 6 of the 7 shows I attended, the exception being one date I had gold circle. In all instances I made it into the heart, but there were always problems. There were still problems because the people controlling the thing were fans just like everyone else and made different rules for different people. And yes, at each show the same 10-20 people were front and center. I didn't have a problem with this because my attitude was that they put in the time - yes I would actually see these people getting in line right after the previous show.
But people cut in who hadn't been there all day, there were bad feelings, etc.

The point is that a lottery system would do away with all of that. We would all have a good spot and there would be less security concerns - which were the real reasons for the Boston handpicking incident (sorry to bring that up again but I was there as well).

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
The GA is a license to enter the arena. Nothing more.

There are no rights conferred on those who arrive early, nor should there be.

Unless there is a clear process communicated ahead of time by the band or the venue, entry can be by any organized means, whether it is in numeric order or by random lottery.

Agreed

I guarantee the first night in San Diego if they do a lottery, there will be a riot. No violence or anything but it will be very very very ugly.

Yes, if people wait overnight and find out there is a lottery at 5pm the day of the show I am sure they will be upset. But as long as it is communicated in advance I don't see why there would be any problems.

I can see it running much smoother by the venue using a wristband system than relying on a fan run system.

In the annals of U2 fandom, I don't know if there's anything more pathetic than getting in line the night before the next show, after getting out of the current show.

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

It's people like this that scare band members. I know people camp out earlier and earlier, but if you can't see daylight, you should probably be home sleeping. Is there anyone who, upon walking out of a show and seeing campers out, would not roll their eyes and think "that is just sad"? This kind of one-upmanship just makes it harder for "normal" obsessive fans to have a great experience.

You don't need to be within polishing distance of Edge's shoe every night to enjoy the concert. Get a life and let things be shaken up a little. You can still get your freak ass to the venue at 6am and retain your Superfan credibility.

laz

Last edited:
bonoed said:
a lot of their fans have to work, maybe have children they have to watch, a whole bunch of reasons they can't sit on the pavement from the early morning hours. It's only fair, only decent, and only logical to do a system by numbering just like they do at most other shows.

I couldn't disagree more...why should those who can, and are willing to wait in line the longest be punished because some can't get out of work....I have to sacrifice a day off work to wait in line...so should they.

One of the things I am most looking forward to about the concert is the whole experience of waiting in line for GA. That's almost half of it. Take that away, and I feel I am getting less for my money. $50 for a full night/day of entertainment, culminating in the concert is one thing; $50 for just a concert is another.

I can't afford to go to concert after concert, so I want to make sure I get as much out of my $50 and one concert as possible.

trevster2k said:
I went to shows in Vancouver and Salt Lake City during Elevation. Vancouver was basically lineup and about an hour of so before the doors opened they queued us up in barriers before entering.

SLC was like how people have already mentioned. The first fans in line had a clipboard where you signed in and gave you a number. People were allowed to go get food or bathroom breaks but no one went away for hours.

Both experiences went well but in SLC some guys tried to butt in line but everyone and I mean everyone in line shouted them out of the line up.

Neither city had advance procedures. In SLC I got in line around 7am and was 265th in the line. I just walked up and went to the front to see what was going on. The later shows seemed to be more organized as people learned how the show was setup and about other fan experiences around the country.

Have fun Sugar

I was also in line at the SLC show and it worked out really well. We arrived at about 6:00 am and were #145-146 and were at the tip of the heart. The fans kept everything in order. I'm sure there were some abuse of leaving for a long time, but nothing too bad.

that's a bunch of bull.

I'll even tell you, I have GA tix and I would be the first to benefit from a lottery system. I'm not leaving my party in the parking lot until 15 minutes before U2 comes on....but I dont want one because it's just plain wrong.

It should be a line. thats it.

Just like the guy who shows up before me to the car lot has a better choice of a car. Just like the people who go to the butcher get a better choice of meat, just like the people who book a hotel room before me get a better view, ect, ect.....you get the pciture.

Last edited:
grant72 said:
that's a bunch of bull.

I'll even tell you, I have GA tix and I would be the first to benefit from a lottery system. I'm not leaving my party in the parking lot until 15 minutes before U2 comes on....but I dont want one because it's just plain wrong.

It should be a line. thats it.

Just like the guy who shows up before me to the car lot has a better choice of a car. Just like the people who go to the butcher get a better choice of meat, just like the people who book a hotel room before me get a better view, ect, ect.....you get the pciture.

Why is it "wrong" to have a lottery system. There is no line so there is no one who is being robbed.

The band does have a right to do this; you are not guaranteed front and center merely by hanging out at the venue overnight all week long. Now, if that's the system, then I do agree that the people who actually do this deserve to be first. Which is why there was such a ruckus in the Boston handpicking incident because everyone assumed it was just going to go as it had for the previous shows, but the people who waited were not first in line.

As I stated before, as long as it is communicated in advance there should be no problem with a lottery system. If there is no expectation of a guaranteed first in line spot, there is no need to wait overnight.

Plus, Bono doesn't want to see the same face front and center every night just like Julia Robert doesn't want to see the same stalker at her gates every morning. At some point ultra obsessive fans can be viewed as dangerous.

Last edited:
cmb737 said:

There is a direct correlation between wanting it and time of arrival.

Only if you are comparing 2 people whose personal circumstances are the EXACT SAME

cmb737 said:

Those of us who camp out have set our lives up (with choices dating back years) to be available for this sort of thing. We have made the sacrifices financially and emotionally to be able to do this.

Clearly you have been able to make those sacrifices, who are you to say that everyone can do likewise unless you are in their shoes.?

I'll be going to the opening night in San Diego, not GA but seated. Even if I had GA I couldn't make it no matter how much I wanted to, my family situation doesn't allow it, and unless you're in my situation with the same child with the same Dr. Appointment and evaluation scheduled, you cannot sit there and tell me about your sacrifice being greater than mine since you're not in my shoes, and vice versa.

Some things aren't about "choices" - Having a life-impacting disease isn't a "choice", that's just one extreme example, there are many more scenarios which are probably in the same vein.

I did the "follow the band around the country" thing in 1983, saw 30 or so shows, I know I wasn't making remotely the same kind of sacrifice then as I'd have to now to do the same thing.

cmb737 said:

I guarantee the first night in San Diego if they do a lottery, there will be a riot.

You'd better check with the venue then !

cmb737 said:

If you want, get there. Make the choice, pay the money, take the time off, hire the babysitter, pay the airfare, make the arrangements, just do it. Besides, its almost as fun as the show itself.

I know, it certainly can be. But again, if the venue uses a lottery system and that is public knowledge ahead of time, no one has any excuse to make things ugly.

Plus quite honestly, the Sports Arena is NOT in the best part of town, a lotttery might be a good thing regardless.

I don't think there will be that big a problem if U2 decides they want a lottery for GA order and if they communicate it ahead of time, as most people have said.

What everyone is going to be angry about is if some fans try to take it upon themselves to organize a lottery for position. Am I correct in understanding that a lottery was organized in some venues by fans during Elevation? That's exactly what no one wants. If the band wants to do it - go ahead. We just don't want some bossy fans telling us how to line up and in what order we can enter the building.

lazarus said:
In the annals of U2 fandom, I don't know if there's anything more pathetic than getting in line the night before the next show, after getting out of the current show.

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOU.

It's people like this that scare band members. I know people camp out earlier and earlier, but if you can't see daylight, you should probably be home sleeping. Is there anyone who, upon walking out of a show and seeing campers out, would not roll their eyes and think "that is just sad"? This kind of one-upmanship just makes it harder for "normal" obsessive fans to have a great experience.

You don't need to be within polishing distance of Edge's shoe every night to enjoy the concert. Get a life and let things be shaken up a little. You can still get your freak ass to the venue at 6am and retain your Superfan credibility.

laz

So...say, scaling the fence outside Bono's house wouldn't be more pathetic? Get a grip. I did this at one show in my hometown, not every night. I got the spot I wanted in the front, and it was some of the most fun I've ever had. And that's including waiting in line part. I don't regret doing it for a second. And for the record, I had reserved seats for the the concert I got out of before getting in line that night. They were about a mile and a half away from the stage, but it was still a really fun show. Oh, no wait. I forgot. Since I'm soooo nuts, I didn't have a good time at all that night because I was out of Bono's spit spray.

Also, I'm glad your omniscient and know exactly which fans scare the band. Call me crazy (wait, you already did), but I think after 25 years of touring U2 miiiight have seen fans do some freakier things than camp out overnight to be in the front row.

U2 don't tour very often. So when they do, some people (including me) tend to go to great lengths to get to shows and get the best spot possible. I have more fun when I'm at the front, so I make an effort to be at the front. You don't want to, fine. But that doesn't make everyone who does "freaks" or "pathetic." And even if you object to that sort of behavior, there's no need to be so openly hostile and rude. I think there's a lot more wrong with that than with people who wait in line for awhile to see their favorite band.

this is all moot. San Diego sports arena is notorious for terrible management. The security will be off duty cops, marines, and sailors. There was zero, and I mean zero communication between the fans and the venue, and ultimately U2 on the last tour at this venue. Based on the fact that there has been far less communication on all levels to this point on the GA situation (or anything regarding the tour at all) I will be very surprised to see anything change in San Diego. Regardless of whether or not there is a lottery system in place all of us have made our ticket purchases based on what happened last time and what happens at vast majority of all concert events with GA floors. Everybody here purchased GA's with the intent of getting in the heart. Many, including me, would have sought other tickets if there was a lottery system.

Kids are a choice.

cardosino said:

I'll be going to the opening night in San Diego, not GA but seated. Even if I had GA I couldn't make it no matter how much I wanted to, my family situation doesn't allow it, and unless you're in my situation with the same child with the same Dr. Appointment and evaluation scheduled, you cannot sit there and tell me about your sacrifice being greater than mine since you're not in my shoes, and vice versa.

Some things aren't about "choices" - Having a life-impacting disease isn't a "choice", that's just one extreme example, there are many more scenarios which are probably in the same vein.

Holy shit, nice lecture. Everything comes down to choices.

But To think I could one day be trying to justify my inability to line up early for a rock concert by using my choice to bring a child into the world as an excuse for my wallowing and wailing... over a rock concert. God help me.

.Nostradamus

Well why did you even want GA then if you arn't prepared to queue? Why didn't you just buy seats and save the hassle of a f***ing lottery. I don't know your ages or the like, but for anyone campaigning for a lottery, have you ever camped out before? Its an experience that some people want to live, it IS wanting it more than others and it is a life experience that we want to do. No f***ing lotteries, the first in the queue should be the first through, just like most things in life, the best things are free. The ticket may have cost you $50 or $250 but the experience of that camping out for a day is free and some of the best memories will come from this. There's a reason GAs are the cheapest and that is because you run the risk of not having a great view, of being stuck at the back. But for that GA ticket you have, if you are hoping for a lottery to get to stand by the stage after a 10 minute wait then swap it for seats, there will be many willing to swap. For a variety of reasons I will not be able to camp out the night before and may get there too late to be at the front but its a risk I have happily taken for the experience that I hope will go with it. So, in conclusion, please don't take the chance of waiting for hours in the queue away from those of us who want to do it, buy/swap for a seat if you can't/won't wait and allow us this experience of a lifetime, please.

and for those saying they have no problem with a lottery "if its known about well in advance", I'm afraid "well in advance" has passed, I bought GAs and took 2 days off work so that I can be an obsessed U2 wait in line all day with a large mp3 bootleg collection. If they wanted to tell me I couldn't do that, they should have done so a long time ago.

I agree that those who choose to line up ALL DAY deserve to be closest to the stage. A lottery system would suck. But a logical solution would be for the promoters (not fans) to hand out "official" numbered wristbands early morning, which would be used to determine each person's position in line some later point in the day. (This, of course, requires the promoters to be motivated to help solve this issue.) Anyone can camp out if they want to be the one of the first to get a wristband, but it doesn't require us to camp out all day, since you could leave once you get your wristband. I don't know about most people, but being held captive for 14+ hours before the concert, when simply taking a piss is a challenge, doesn't thrill me. But if I have to...

Back
Top Bottom