MERGED-->Did we ever find out why Willie left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So the way I see it, I can take your silence on the matter in one of three ways:

1. No more information has been leaked on the subject.

2. None of you lurking on this board are very knowledgeable U2 fans.

3. Personal rejection. None of you like me enough to answer.

I choose to believe the third option. :|

A combination of nr 1 and nr 2. But personally I would be more interested in the full story behind why they dispensed with the services of Ossie Kilkenny back around 7 years ago. But that's because I'm a boring accountant, probably.

financeguy said:
A combination of nr 1 and nr 2. But personally I would be more interested in the full story behind why they dispensed with the services of Ossie Kilkenny back around 7 years ago. But that's because I'm a boring accountant, probably.

ooohh...that would be interesting.... :yes: :hmm:

I love hints of financial shenanigans. :wink:

No.

Personally, I thought he went to work on the Stones' tour but apparently he wasn't credited in any way there.

That said, from the looks of it - dedication of Yahweh and Bono openly talking about it at the show - it was an amicable split.

Hopefully there will be a "tour staging advisor Willie Williams" on the next tour(s).

U2girl said:
No.

Personally, I thought he went to work on the Stones' tour but apparently he wasn't credited in any way there.

That said, from the looks of it - dedication of Yahweh and Bono openly talking about it at the show - it was an amicable split.

Hopefully there will be a "tour staging advisor Willie Williams" on the next tour(s).
but as bono said he didnt think willie had "left for good" and hoped he would be back next time round

Chizip said:
i think he got sick of hearing pride and one

nope. If was those damned sunglasses Bono always wears. he just couldn't stand it any longer! :yes:

whoever is in charge now likes using the screens more though

since willie has been gone there have been new graphics on the screens for OOTS and for ABOY, and of course the amazing production of Discotheque. Also, the curtains now hang down some to spell out Coexist during SBS.

there are also new third leg graphics for Miracle Drug and Yahweh, but those were added during the second leg, so those can be credited to Willie.

I still think it's badass that they use Dual Shock Analog controllers for the light controls. :drool: :rockon:

I was actually given Willie's email address for an interview, but my requests have fallen on deaf ears... :(

Chizip said:
whoever is in charge now likes using the screens more though

since willie has been gone there have been new graphics on the screens for OOTS and for ABOY, and of course the amazing production of Discotheque. Also, the curtains now hang down some to spell out Coexist during SBS.

there are also new third leg graphics for Miracle Drug and Yahweh, but those were added during the second leg, so those can be credited to Willie.

I thought Willie did the Discotheque lighting, what with Toronto IV being his last show and also Discotheque's tour debut.

Axver said:

I thought Willie did the Discotheque lighting, what with Toronto IV being his last show and also Discotheque's tour debut.

oh i thought he had left during the second leg, i didnt know he had been back at the start of the third leg

Chizip said:

oh i thought he had left during the second leg, i didnt know he had been back at the start of the third leg

I was under the impression that he was at the four Toronto shows and the first we knew of Willie leaving was Bono farewelling him at Toronto IV.

Axver said:

I was under the impression that he was at the four Toronto shows and the first we knew of Willie leaving was Bono farewelling him at Toronto IV.

I believe he left during the European leg. He notified the band he wasnt returning while they were in Toronto. I dont think he was there though.

financeguy said:

I remember when this happened, Financeguy. I also remember hearing a story around the same time that the band had just lost a lot of money thru some investments (something like, they invested a lot of money in a German laser-tag gaming group which went under because, uh, laser-tag was illegal in Germany, or some really unintentionally hilarious thing like that.) I have no idea whether this had anything to do with Kilkenny's departure but it's something to think about. I know that there was a reason for the split other than just an amicable parting of ways.

Seven years ago, Kilkenny left? Hmm. Almost seems like he was the scapegoat for Popmart leg four's financial mess.

I thought one rumour was because the Pink Floyd office asked for a sketchpad full of staging ideas??????

Not saying they are going to tour - Roger Waters is apparently booked through next spring - but never say never.

Anyone else notice his diary trailing off sometime after Live 8?

u2fp

PS - while I'm at it, the cubans killed JFK, Area 51 exists, the Bush government were behind 9/11 and the Loch Ness monster was the UK testing a secret submarine.

You know what is disgusting? that you waited half an hour for an answer and concluded cause no-one posts that we didn't have an answer. SOrry if this is taken the wrong way, but we all have lives to read nad don't sit on this messageboard waiting for a question to answer.

While in Vegas last week, I caught "We Will Rock You" and the playbill listed Willie Williams as the lighting director. Same Willie?

IMHO it's very simple; Willie and his team (Smasher and Bruce) set up both an indoor show and and outdoor show and instead of being on the road with U2 for another six months he decides to move on to other projects.
I believe Willie Williams is hot in the business; he can choose what to do...
..he kind of finished this U2 project and leave the rest of the tour to his skilled team.... I think Willie will be back somewhere in the future..
... .. there might be personal reasons for leaving early, but who cares?

wtonis said:
IMHO it's very simple; Willie and his team (Smasher and Bruce) set up both an indoor show and and outdoor show and instead of being on the road with U2 for another six months he decides to move on to other projects.
I believe Willie Williams is hot in the business; he can choose what to do...
..he kind of finished this U2 project and leave the rest of the tour to his skilled team.... I think Willie will be back somewhere in the future..
... .. there might be personal reasons for leaving early, but who cares?

I think you are probably right. Willie left the 3rd leg of Elevation also and obviously was back for Vertigo. I think he will be back for the next tour and/or will have a hand in the stage/production design.

indra said:

ooohh...that would be interesting.... :yes: :hmm:

I love hints of financial shenanigans. :wink:

I love the word "shenanigans." :wink:

The final entry in his diary from Milan states that he's leaving. I don't know what the big deal is, as others have stated, he left the tour early during Elevation, too. I would assume that once things are set up and running smoothly, there wouldn't be much to occupy his time.

Back
Top Bottom