MERGED --> Counterfeit Tickets... + Serious Chicago counterfeit warning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
<<how easy is blank stock to access>>

Why do door managers confiscate 'fake' tickets? The person who bought them owns them, right? If you are denied access with a proper stock TM "fake" I think you are can make legal claim to receive face value compensation.

Another thing is if criminals can internally access primo U2 tickets how hard could it be to obtain a couple blank tickets? Criminals are also capaple of accessing blank government ID and passport stock - TM should be easier.

This reminded me of a scam to gain access. If you have 'hard' GA ticket you should mock up a 'ticketfast' ticket using the same bar code. Let the ticketfast person go in 30 minutes earlier - then the 'hard' ticket person goes in (bring in fanclub info and an original copy of your credit card receipt) Your ticket will scan entrance denial, but after putting up a little fight they will just let you in out of frustration - and give you a wristband.

A couple months back Isabelle Guns(she's contributed to this thread) posted her entire GA tickets on an online journal. I wondered what stopped me from just taking her bar codes and entering the building before her. This is one reason why EBAY auction hide bar codes and exact seat location.

U2FP

what I do if I am going to buy from someone off the street is tell them to come to the gate with me, after the ticket is scanned, then I pay them. If they won't do this chances are they're crooks.

Asking the seller to join you at the door is a good idea and highly recommended. But what if your buying GA off the street? or buying before the doors have opened?

Another good idea is trade names(check ID) and phone numbers - then use your cell phones to check that they work. Crooks will immediately fold at the idea. This is only recommended if you're spending more than you are willing to lose. I knew someone who bought a World Series ticket for US$750 and used that as their security blanket. It can take less than 5 minutes.

u2fp

Last edited:
In the scene I saw at the UC, the paper stock itself was one of *several* indicators that the tickets were fake.
But sadly, the most telling feature is the shifty and shaky attitude of the seller.
If scalping is to be more or less legal, they should create a "re-seller's zone" outside gigs and have people from the venue provide supervision, including the checking of tickets. This would be better for everyone.
back from Chicago . . . have fun and be careful tomorrow,
Anu

beatlesboy said:

How easy is blank TM stock to access? I would imagine they keep things pretty secure, and you can't just grab a stack of it and walk away, but who knows? :shrug:

In theory, not easy. They should be kept locked up.

In actuality, who knows? I've seen cases of a laying around in record stores that have TM outlets; I probably could have swiped some if I were so inclined.

Presumably, FedEx or UPS delivers them. Somewhere out there a case or two has probably fallen out of a truck in transit.

Out here, tickets.com has automated kiosks like ATM's. One time there was 8 blank tickets hanging out of the machine. I did grab those and made up tickets as a joke for friends.

bbison said:
I've seen cases laying around in record stores that have TM outlets

It's interesting that TM is so loose about that. You'd think that to TM that stuff would be the equivalent of the blank paper the goverment uses to print currency.

So I guess all one would need is a bit of knowledge about thermal printing and you'd be in business! :ohmy:

Of course there wouldn't be any real loss to ticketmaster because the fakes won't get you into a venue, so I guess they really have no reason to keep a close eye on the blanks... :|

Last edited:
While looking for tickets at the UC I actually had a scalper show me what a fake looked like to show me that his tickets were legit. (I didn't buy them though) It really sucks for those who get scammed.

I bought GAs from ebay from a seller with high positive feedbacks. I didn't see any indication that it was a ticketfast. When I received the ticketfast thru email I emailed her and requested hard ones. She called ticketfast and in 2 weeks (they had to be printed) I received the hard ones in the mail.

After all that:
***positive feedback
*** exchanging ticketfast for hard
*** and receiving them

I am still slightly nervous. Nov. is a long time to get my hopes up and then be disappointed.

ree5669 said:
I bought GAs from ebay from a seller with high positive feedbacks. I didn't see any indication that it was a ticketfast. When I received the ticketfast thru email I emailed her and requested hard ones. She called ticketfast and in 2 weeks (they had to be printed) I received the hard ones in the mail.

After all that:
***positive feedback
*** exchanging ticketfast for hard
*** and receiving them

I am still slightly nervous. Nov. is a long time to get my hopes up and then be disappointed.

You'll be fine. The primary threats are scalpers at the venue, and ticketfast tickets. You have neither albeit you initially received ticketfast tickets. (FYI, TM cancels the ticketfast tickets and issues new barcodes for the hard tickets that issued in the place of the cancelled ticketfast tickets.)

Another good idea is buying tickets from known scalpers because they will return all your money if the show is cancelled.

I think Ebay sellers with a deep selling record are alright. A full track record is worth more than they could ever scam from a pair of tickets.

Another point nobody brought up here is street scalpers have as much to worry about as buyers. What stops you from paying with counterfeit money?

U2FP

Question... I thought scalping at the venues is illegal. Does it vary from state to state? If I were a scalper, I'd be worried about getting in trouble/arrested or, at the very least, having my tickets taken away from me before I sell them.

Back
Top Bottom