MERGED-->Complain about mtv's coverage here + Commercials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thrilled they're getting such a lashing! I hope it continues and they'll have to respond or even aplogize. Would it be possible for them to edit out the stupidity and re-air although probably too late for G8. Maybe they can choose to donate all those advertising dollars they made to the campaign. That would be right.

Damn I just realized they truly made money and tons of it off of Live 8. On a normal weekend re-playing old crap they can't have half as many viewers. They took this chance to turn a profit on a good cause. As far as I know they didn't carry any of the costs of putting this on.

I'm pissed all over again:rant:

Re: LA Times Review/Robert Hilburn

Lila64 said:
This was taken from the L.A. Times, 7/4/05 by critic Robert Hilburn (he's been around forever in L.A.)

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-notebook4jul04,0,7783746.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
Live 8's Safety Net
*AOL catches and conveys the action as MTV's coverage more than disappoints

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

Everyone knows MTV has long lost interest in pop music, so why doesn't the cable channel just admit it and leave the coverage of historic events, such as the humanitarian Live 8 concerts, to someone with respect for the music and its audience?

MTV's coverage of Saturday's event, designed to combat poverty in Africa, was beyond embarrassing. It was pitiful.

I was warned long ago to avoid overkill as a critic, but bear with me this time. Add "pathetic" to the list.
Watching it with others in the newsroom led to howls of disbelief as the channel kept cutting away from key performances, including the much-awaited reunion of Pink Floyd, for mindless chatter from the MTV hosts about, golly-gee, how exciting it was to have these acts onstage.

Was Kurt Loder, a rare MTV voice with an understanding of rock history, on vacation?

"This was an important concert, an important cause, and God knows how many millions of viewers turned it off early out of frustration," Steve Smith of Temple City wrote in an e-mail to The Times.

Jason McCartney of Santa Barbara complained in an e-mail about excessive commercials and cutting away from memorable songs: "Showing only a portion of Bono's introduction to 'One' and then cutting away to a commercial and not even showing the song itself."

The first of MTV's many misjudgments was basing its coverage in Philadelphia, one of the 10 Live 8 locales, rather than in London, the musical and spiritual heart of the day.

A second error was showing the same programming on MTV and sister channel VH1.

If the MTV brain trust understood the significance of the day, one channel should have broadcast the London show in its entirety live, starting at 6 a.m. Pacific time.

It could have then shown the entire Philadelphia show live on the other outlet and, ideally, run highlights from the other cities on MTV2 or in later broadcasts on MTV or VH1.

My plan may not have been perfect, but it took only 15 seconds to think of it.

So you know the MTV powers must have had other priorities in mind if they didn't come up with something similar.

Was doing it right too expensive for a company that has made billions off rock 'n' roll over the years?

Or did it just not care?

MTV's communication breakdown couldn't have come at a worse time for the channel's credibility, because it probably encouraged hundreds of thousands of rock fans to go to the Internet, where America Online did a spectacular job of presenting the Live 8 music.

The Internet service provider's offer to show the music free to anyone wasn't without its problems.

Because of hookup difficulties, I missed the opening moments of the London concert, where Paul McCartney teamed with U2 on the Beatles' joyful "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and Coldplay joined with singer Richard Ashcroft for a rendition of the Verve's haunting "Bitter Sweet Symphony."

After trying five computers,I located one that accepted the AOL live feed. From then on,the day was a treat. You really felt part of a global rock experience.

Not only could you watch the London show in its entirety, mercifully free of the gushing and self-promotion of the MTV hosts, but advisories on the screen also alerted you to what was happening simultaneously onstage in Live 8 concerts in Berlin, Rome, Toronto, Philadelphia and Paris.

At one point early in the day, for instance, you could read that Shakira was coming up in Paris, while Annie Lennox was on in London and Bon Jovi was taking the stage in Philadelphia.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize for nearly an hour that those alerts stay on the screen until you "refresh" the directory. I don't know how much good music I missed by not even checking in on Philadelphia because I didn't want to see Bon Jovi.

Once I noticed the refresh button, the day was a series of frequently exciting choices.

Did you click on London to watch R.E.M. playing "Man on the Moon" or on Berlin to see Green Day salute the majesty of the Live 8 cause with its version of Queen's "We Are the Champions"?

Later, Sting in Londonwent up against Roxy Music in Berlin.

Fortunately, AOL is already replaying all the concerts and plans to let you call up any performance on demand.

And how were the performances? Mixed, as you'd expect when we're talking about more than 150 acts.

Even on the London show, I'd have preferred fewer acts so that the better ones could have had more time onstage. Forget Dido, Keane, Joss Stone, Velvet Revolver, Robbie Williams. Give more time to U2, Coldplay, R.E.M., the Who, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd.

But at least Live 8 driving force Bob Geldof had a good excuse for putting as many bestsellers on stage as possible: the campaign to rescue Africa. He wants to show he's got public opinion on his side when the issue is considered this week by government leaders at the G8 summit in Scotland.

What's MTV's excuse for its sorry coverage?

It's a good thing it's a holi-day today. They've got time to think of answers before they start looking at their e-mails Tuesday.

I want to marry this guy :drool:

Especially for:

"If the MTV brain trust understood the significance of the day, one channel should have broadcast the London show in its entirety live, starting at 6 a.m. Pacific time.

It could have then shown the entire Philadelphia show live on the other outlet and, ideally, run highlights from the other cities on MTV2 or in later broadcasts on MTV or VH1."

I SO said that!! :D

I haven't seen anyone mention it yet on this thread, so let me just give a big shout out to the CTV coverage in Canada. I traveled up near Canada for the holiday weekend. When I got to my destination and was relaxing after the drive I flipped on the TV and there was Live8. They were showing mostly the coverage from Barrie (near Toronto), but they also showed the major acts from the other locations. The commercials were kept to a minimum, the host seemed to be there just to tell what acts were coming up soon, and when a performance was being shown he kept his mouth shut during the music. They did have one backstage MTV-like bimbo doing interviews, but her appearances were brief. Then, after the Toronto show ended, CTV showed a five-hour (yes, I said five-hour) highlight show with the top performances from all the venues. So while MTV was, as usual, making the event all about them and their DJ's, Canada was actually getting to hear the music. What a concept! I had watched the webcast of U2's performance but I hadn't even bothered to set my VCR to record MTV's broadcast because I knew it would be hideous.
kellyahern said:
That's when I knew, "Oh, this is not good. Why are they interviewing Jimmy Fallon? :huh: "
Maybe Jimmy Fallon is trying to see how many big events he can inappropriately butt in on. Remember when the Red Sox won the world series last year and there on the field, among celebrating players, was freakin' Jimmy Fallon along with Drew Barrymore shooting some movie scene. Is there really anybody besides Fallon and his publicist who actually thinks he's a big star?

Re: Re: LA Times Review/Robert Hilburn

AtomicBono said:

I want to marry this guy :drool:

Especially for:

"If the MTV brain trust understood the significance of the day, one channel should have broadcast the London show in its entirety live, starting at 6 a.m. Pacific time.

It could have then shown the entire Philadelphia show live on the other outlet and, ideally, run highlights from the other cities on MTV2 or in later broadcasts on MTV or VH1."

I SO said that!! :D

:yes:

It would have been the best solution :up:

C'mon MTV. You couldn't do away with the VJ/commercial crap for one day? One day in 20 years?!?! :banghead:

Thank you for posting that Lila. Excellent article :up:.

Re: LA Times Review/Robert Hilburn

Lila64 said:
This was taken from the L.A. Times, 7/4/05 by critic Robert Hilburn (he's been around forever in L.A.)

http://www.calendarlive.com/music/cl-et-notebook4jul04,0,7783746.story?coll=cl-home-more-channels

CRITIC'S NOTEBOOK
Live 8's Safety Net
*AOL catches and conveys the action as MTV's coverage more than disappoints

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

Everyone knows MTV has long lost interest in pop music, so why doesn't the cable channel just admit it and leave the coverage of historic events, such as the humanitarian Live 8 concerts, to someone with respect for the music and its audience?

MTV's coverage of Saturday's event, designed to combat poverty in Africa, was beyond embarrassing. It was pitiful.

I was warned long ago to avoid overkill as a critic, but bear with me this time. Add "pathetic" to the list.
Watching it with others in the newsroom led to howls of disbelief as the channel kept cutting away from key performances, including the much-awaited reunion of Pink Floyd, for mindless chatter from the MTV hosts about, golly-gee, how exciting it was to have these acts onstage.

Was Kurt Loder, a rare MTV voice with an understanding of rock history, on vacation?

"This was an important concert, an important cause, and God knows how many millions of viewers turned it off early out of frustration," Steve Smith of Temple City wrote in an e-mail to The Times.

Jason McCartney of Santa Barbara complained in an e-mail about excessive commercials and cutting away from memorable songs: "Showing only a portion of Bono's introduction to 'One' and then cutting away to a commercial and not even showing the song itself."

The first of MTV's many misjudgments was basing its coverage in Philadelphia, one of the 10 Live 8 locales, rather than in London, the musical and spiritual heart of the day.

A second error was showing the same programming on MTV and sister channel VH1.

If the MTV brain trust understood the significance of the day, one channel should have broadcast the London show in its entirety live, starting at 6 a.m. Pacific time.

It could have then shown the entire Philadelphia show live on the other outlet and, ideally, run highlights from the other cities on MTV2 or in later broadcasts on MTV or VH1.

My plan may not have been perfect, but it took only 15 seconds to think of it.

So you know the MTV powers must have had other priorities in mind if they didn't come up with something similar.

Was doing it right too expensive for a company that has made billions off rock 'n' roll over the years?

Or did it just not care?

MTV's communication breakdown couldn't have come at a worse time for the channel's credibility, because it probably encouraged hundreds of thousands of rock fans to go to the Internet, where America Online did a spectacular job of presenting the Live 8 music.

The Internet service provider's offer to show the music free to anyone wasn't without its problems.

Because of hookup difficulties, I missed the opening moments of the London concert, where Paul McCartney teamed with U2 on the Beatles' joyful "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and Coldplay joined with singer Richard Ashcroft for a rendition of the Verve's haunting "Bitter Sweet Symphony."

After trying five computers,I located one that accepted the AOL live feed. From then on,the day was a treat. You really felt part of a global rock experience.

Not only could you watch the London show in its entirety, mercifully free of the gushing and self-promotion of the MTV hosts, but advisories on the screen also alerted you to what was happening simultaneously onstage in Live 8 concerts in Berlin, Rome, Toronto, Philadelphia and Paris.

At one point early in the day, for instance, you could read that Shakira was coming up in Paris, while Annie Lennox was on in London and Bon Jovi was taking the stage in Philadelphia.

Unfortunately, I didn't realize for nearly an hour that those alerts stay on the screen until you "refresh" the directory. I don't know how much good music I missed by not even checking in on Philadelphia because I didn't want to see Bon Jovi.

Once I noticed the refresh button, the day was a series of frequently exciting choices.

Did you click on London to watch R.E.M. playing "Man on the Moon" or on Berlin to see Green Day salute the majesty of the Live 8 cause with its version of Queen's "We Are the Champions"?

Later, Sting in Londonwent up against Roxy Music in Berlin.

Fortunately, AOL is already replaying all the concerts and plans to let you call up any performance on demand.

And how were the performances? Mixed, as you'd expect when we're talking about more than 150 acts.

Even on the London show, I'd have preferred fewer acts so that the better ones could have had more time onstage. Forget Dido, Keane, Joss Stone, Velvet Revolver, Robbie Williams. Give more time to U2, Coldplay, R.E.M., the Who, Paul McCartney and Pink Floyd.

But at least Live 8 driving force Bob Geldof had a good excuse for putting as many bestsellers on stage as possible: the campaign to rescue Africa. He wants to show he's got public opinion on his side when the issue is considered this week by government leaders at the G8 summit in Scotland.

What's MTV's excuse for its sorry coverage?

It's a good thing it's a holi-day today. They've got time to think of answers before they start looking at their e-mails Tuesday.

AWESOME ARTICLE!! I LOVE ROBERT HILBURN!!! I love reading his articles...Boy did he nail that one... Kinda what I said to viacom in my nasty email I sent yesterday. I hope Viacom sees this article and others that are out there..

I just emailed Viacom that article from the LA Times....and highly suggested that they read it...:wink:

They are gonna love me cuz I am gonna bombard them with plenty of info...:mad:

Zootomic said:
I haven't seen anyone mention it yet on this thread, so let me just give a big shout out to the CTV coverage in Canada. I traveled up near Canada for the holiday weekend. When I got to my destination and was relaxing after the drive I flipped on the TV and there was Live8. They were showing mostly the coverage from Barrie (near Toronto), but they also showed the major acts from the other locations. The commercials were kept to a minimum, the host seemed to be there just to tell what acts were coming up soon, and when a performance was being shown he kept his mouth shut during the music. They did have one backstage MTV-like bimbo doing interviews, but her appearances were brief. Then, after the Toronto show ended, CTV showed a five-hour (yes, I said five-hour) highlight show with the top performances from all the venues. So while MTV was, as usual, making the event all about them and their DJ's, Canada was actually getting to hear the music. What a concept! I had watched the webcast of U2's performance but I hadn't even bothered to set my VCR to record MTV's broadcast because I knew it would be hideous.

Yeah. I spent the weekend in Canada even though I'm American and I was lucky enough to see the CTV coverage and therefore the U2 performances, the wonderful speeches, the introductions, everything good.

Bono was right when he said the world needs to be more like Canada.

in the setlist parties, people did mention good coverage in Canada. Anywhere but America...

nervous about what may or may not happen on Wednesday, 7/6 in Edinburgh...

I know there was no choice for the coverage. But I watch Fuse for music. And the artists in Philly compared to London....well, they sucked. Hip hop live puts you to sleep.

that was a great article by the l.a. times.:up:

This petition doesn't have as many signatures as I'd hoped by now. If you haven't signed it please do

http://www.petitiononline.com/BanMTV/petition.html

I forwarded the petition and comments to Ktla and msnbc hoping they would cover the story of how MTV sucks. With only 144 names on the petition though they may decide it's not worth it:(

The only coverage on KTLA so far about Live Aid is that Puffy didn't perform (I hadn't even noticed) apparently he was scheduled and was seen shopping in the hamptons instead (who cares about him):madspit:

Referring to the L.A. Times article:

I wonder if Kurt Loder skipped out on the coverage because he knew how bad it was going to be presented. Like he didn't want to play any part in it.

In today's Chicago Tribune. MTV at least has awareness of how badly they screwed up...

MTV Stung by Live 8 Criticism

By Geoff Boucher and Chris Gaither
Times Staff Writers
Published July 7, 2005

Bruised by harsh criticism and soft ratings, MTV executives Wednesday acknowledged missteps in their broadcast of last weekend's Live 8 concerts and hinted that they might retool the program and show it again.

Some kind of do-over is "not the craziest idea," said MTV Executive Vice President Van Toffler, who quipped that the Allman Brothers song "Whipping Post" best described his office's post-show morale.

Ratings released Wednesday show that the eight-hour live broadcast of Live 8 performances that aired Saturday on both MTV and sister station VH1 had an average viewership of only 2.2 million viewers — less than the average audience for the Saturday afternoon airing of the 1999 film "Toy Story 2" on the Disney Channel.

MTV's handling of the concerts — staged in London, Philadelphia and eight other cities — was faulted for frequent cutaways from key musical moments to go to commercials, offstage banter or less compelling performances elsewhere.

"Knowing what I know now, I probably would have made the decision to go commercial-free," Toffler said.

Unfortunately for MTV, its performance also was juxtaposed with a widely praised showing by AOL, which offered comprehensive coverage on its music website, AOL Music.

Ken Ehrlich, who produced the Live 8 show in Philadelphia and is a veteran producer of the Grammy Awards, said the AOL event would be remembered as a defining moment in online music consumerism.

"This is a template for the future," he said. "Not to negate the importance of television, but I really think the Internet generation has come of age and the numbers have multiplied to a point of real change…. AOL opened the door here and once it's open it ain't going to close."

AOL bought the exclusive rights to the Live 8 shows for an undisclosed amount and then licensed them to MTV, XM Satellite Radio and Premiere Radio Networks. The shows also were carried across the globe by regional networks.

Kevin Wall, executive producer of Live 8, said the combined television and Internet audiences probably topped 1 billion and greatly amplified the discussion of its cause: relieving debt and poverty in beleaguered nations in Africa.

"MTV was a big part of it, not just on the air but in making the whole thing happen," Wall said. "There were disagreements creatively on some points, but you won't find anyone involved in this who has anything bad to say about MTV."

That was not the case on the Internet, where irate viewers vented loudly about MTV cameras leaving key moments such as the Pink Floyd reunion. Critics weighed in too.

But Toffler said the channel was hemmed in by decisions made in the four weeks leading up to the show, as the bill of performers was still taking shape. In retrospect, he said, MTV should not have placed such a high priority on showing so many acts, at the expense of airing complete sets by key artists.

A combined average of 2.2 million total viewers watched from noon to 8 p.m. Saturday on MTV (1.4 million) and VH1 (762,000), according to Nielsen Media Research.

Toffler said getting an estimated 18 million viewers to tune in for at least six minutes of the broadcast was "a brilliant success" for MTV and also for the "social cause."

Two hours of Live 8 moments also aired on ABC during prime time Saturday and drew an average of 2.9 million viewers. ABC's concert was the night's least-watched program on the major broadcast networks.

"It was a pretty horrible performance … [but] it was on Saturday night, which is a throwaway night for the broadcast networks," said Brad Adgate of Horizon Media Inc.

As for AOL, its online broadcast of Live 8 was designed to promote a major strategic shift for the world's biggest Internet service provider.

As its number of subscribers declines, the Time Warner Inc. unit is vying for a bigger piece of the $10 billion that advertisers spend online annually by offering free of charge many of the services once reserved for paying members. Video and music are key components of its efforts.

Jim Bankoff, AOL's executive vice president of programming and products, said more people watched this event than any other streamed event on AOL, including the funeral of Pope John Paul II. Five million unique users visited AOL Music for its free streaming video from the concerts. At peak moments, the site was streaming 175,000 simultaneous video broadcasts, which AOL said was an Internet record.

"It was a tipping point," Bankoff said. "It's the biggest step so far and a pretty big leap forward."

Catlady said:

"Knowing what I know now, I probably would have made the decision to go commercial-free," Toffler said.

what an asshole; because everyone is complaining?
you should've been commercial free from start jerkoff.

For us OLD folks who remember when MTV was launched.....

This isn't OUR MTV anymore!! MTV used to care about music videos 24 HOURS A DAY! I want my MTV! Yeah! I remembering shouting that slogan!! This generation doesn't know what the term "music television" means. MTV is too worried about reality shows and specials than the music that founded the station. Corporate whores I guess. I was slightly torked they kept interrupting great performances w/unecessary commentary.

I remember watching Live Aid!! I think I still have a copy of the videos somewhere. :eyebrow:

It was cool when that jackass from VHI piped in during David Gilmour's guitar solo in Comfortably Numb. Who the hell cares what he had to say, why are they interupting one of the most memorable moments in rock history? I guess VHI/MTV do not remember what real music is anymore.

Catlady said:
Some kind of do-over is "not the craziest idea," said MTV Executive Vice President Van Toffler, who quipped that the Allman Brothers song "Whipping Post" best described his office's post-show morale.
I find it hard to believe that anybody who works for MTV, much less an executive, has ever heard of the Allman Brothers.

:lmao:

Did you notice when the camera-person tried to focus on Pete Townsend (The Who) playing guitar, and would zoom in on the guitar (blurry) and then focus, then they would show the drummer. I don't think they showed Pete's guitar playing, or rather, the style/moves he's so famous for. I was stunned. Was wondering if the camera-person was over 21 years of age. Maybe he/she wasn't old enough to know anything about the band. Way to do your homework. Just another facet of the many things wrong with the broadcast. :mad:

I find it hard to believe that anybody who works for MTV, much less an executive, has ever heard of the Allman Brothers.

They probably only knew it because Bo Bice sang it on American Idol. :wink:

(Ooh, my 1000th post!)

yeah, I saw the original live aid (actaully I videotaped it on BETA because I was away that weekend and there was NO WAY in hell I was gonna miss led zep)....

the dj's back then were respectful of the event going on around them, as were the programmers.

We can only hope that it will come out on dvd WITHOUT the stupid veejays!

Now I'm curious to see the rerun this Saturday to see if there is any improvement!:eyebrow:

JOFO said:
yeah, I saw the original live aid (actaully I videotaped it on BETA because I was away that weekend and there was NO WAY in hell I was gonna miss led zep)....

the dj's back then were respectful of the event going on around them, as were the programmers.

Yep the coverage was totally different.
:sigh:

Just glad I was able to track down video of the whole PF set without fools talking over it. :madspit:

GREAT NEWS:

For all of you North American viewers who were disgusted by the MTV/VH1 coverage of the Live8 show - there's hope. After receiving a flood of complaints from viewers regarding the Live8 coverage, MTV/VH1 sent out a press release today announcing they will air 10 consecutive hours of Live 8 performances, free from commercial interruption, this Saturday July 9th. VH1 will start off the broadcast with the first five hours of the concert, which is scheduled to air from 10am-3pm ET/PT. MTV will then jump in and show an additional five hours, ending the broadcast at 8pm ET/PT. The president of MTVN Music Group, Van Toffler, was quoated as saying "At MTV and VH1, we're in a constant and candid dialogue with our audience. In the wake of our coverage last Saturday, our viewers have resoundingly told us on-line they want to see full performances from their favorite artists. As a result of viewer demand and thanks to the Live 8 organizers and performers, MTV & VH1 will air 10 consecutive hours from one of the most important musical events of our time." For everyone who took the time to send a note to MTV, pat yourself on the back - and set those TIVOs.

Chrisedge said:
GREAT NEWS:

For all of you North American viewers who were disgusted by the MTV/VH1 coverage of the Live8 show - there's hope. After receiving a flood of complaints from viewers regarding the Live8 coverage, MTV/VH1 sent out a press release today announcing they will air 10 consecutive hours of Live 8 performances, free from commercial interruption, this Saturday July 9th. VH1 will start off the broadcast with the first five hours of the concert, which is scheduled to air from 10am-3pm ET/PT. MTV will then jump in and show an additional five hours, ending the broadcast at 8pm ET/PT. The president of MTVN Music Group, Van Toffler, was quoated as saying "At MTV and VH1, we're in a constant and candid dialogue with our audience. In the wake of our coverage last Saturday, our viewers have resoundingly told us on-line they want to see full performances from their favorite artists. As a result of viewer demand and thanks to the Live 8 organizers and performers, MTV & VH1 will air 10 consecutive hours from one of the most important musical events of our time." For everyone who took the time to send a note to MTV, pat yourself on the back - and set those TIVOs.

i am happy to say that I was one of those irrate viewers who let viacom and mtv have it with a long and to the point email. I am glad that they are listening...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom