MERGED-->Better Opener : COBL or L&POE + whats the better opener?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digsy

New Yorker
whats the better opener?

so from what we've seen/heard so far, what do you guys think is the better opener

City of Blinding Lights or Love and Peace or Else?

or if you think both are crap, what would you prefer?

i love both of them, but the thought of them coming out with the spotlights during love and peace is fantastic

I have only seen CoBL at the 2 San Diego shows, I hope that they pull out Love and Peace as the opener for at least one Denver show. I have been saying since the day the album came out that should be the opener, and I hear it is amazing in that role.

If they do a big elaborate entrance for Love and Peace in which every member walks in at a different moment in the song then I think it's the better one.

If they all walk in at the same time and start the song it probably sucks.

How do they actually do it?

I saw both--LA1 and LA2--they were both incredible openers--COBL was more of a standard opening--LAPOE had more build up and was unbelievable--I definitely give the nod to LAPOE--one thing I'd like to see them try is ABOY as an opener--it really doesn't belong at the end of the show.

For a rockin' start, Vertigo would be it. It's actually what I thought they would have used. Elevation for the Elevation Tour, Vertigo for the Vertigo Tour. It just lends itself to get people jumping from the start.

For a spirit-rockin' start, Streets wins, but that won't happen these days.

love and peace works better, i think. but they're both good openers, at least they seem to be from the bootlegs.

i said elsewhere on this thread that i think vertigo would not make a good opener becuase its starts too fast...not enough build up...

The first time i heard COBL i thought "this will open the the tour!" and i was so excited because i love that song. Then at Anaheim they opened with LAPOE, and .it brought the house down...great momentum leading up to it..i even think the 'everyone' flows better into it and it has that 30-40 seconds of just noise and chance for members to walk out. I believe that it was Bono and larry walking out to far edge of the ellipse with flashlights in hand, lighting up the crowd in the dark as the red lights came on....i'm geting excited just remembering it. Then the song starts and has a careful cautiousness to it that eventually bleeds away into pure rock'n roll exctacy. "we need love and peace"...awsome...then to go right into vertigo is brilliant, now the crowd is amped up..no there into it...then you say "uno..dos...tres...catorce!" and that first guitar lick from edge come in, and the place explodes. i think it only works because of the LAPOE buildup.

I think COBL has also found its place, with the children asked on to the stage to look yup, or raise their hands or whatever to start that song. Listen to the anaheim tapes you'll see what i mean.

Favorite all time opener? Bono doing his "getting shot at " impression, then goose stepping to Zoo station.

Last edited:
COBL. Though it hasn't cracked my list of top openers:

1. Streets
2. 11 O'clock Tick Tock
3. Hawkmoon 269

If they opened with one of those ... :drool: :drool: :drool:

COBL is better. The whole blindfold thing and Bono drum thing is better in the middle of a concert than in the first song.

POP-ROMANCER said:
Zoo station!
Love and peace or else...GREAT!!

Zoo Station is their best opening song.

I think the band wanted to mix up the opeing song for this tour. Vertigo would be too similar to Elevation as an opening song. COBL and Love and Peace are very different from Zoo Station, Mofo, Streets as and opening song.

For this tour Love and Peace is the best opening song. I could see them closing the show with COBL but 40 is already the song for that. If they hadn't decided to close with 40 I think COBL should be the song to go with.

:)

I have gone to the first 6 shows I would have to say cobl is the best opener. But love and peace is not too shabby by all means. Edge plays an incredible intro to cobl and then the confetti comes flying down, then lights go blasting...ah its pretty sweet..

Better Opener : COBL or L&POE

After listening to two different concerts, one with City of Blinding Lights opening, and one with Love and Peace or Else, I have decided that the L&POE opening is so much more satisfying and better than COBL. I hope when I see them that they open with L&POE.

I'm sure this has been discussed heavily already.

I too have been to 3 shows so far...LAPOE hands down is the clear winner in my book!

I mean the song just rocks! And when the boys just appear one by one on the stage with spotlights and walk around the ellipse! Amazing... and Larry and Bono banging away on the drum!! :wink:

I haven't been to the shows, but from listening, I like COBL opener more..

the song just FITS an opening more, Bono coming out, "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" ... it's such a perfect opener

LAPOE fits the anti-war trilogy better IMO, and the Bono drumming thing seems better in the middle of the set

yeah, they opened with COBL in san diego, and i liked it

you know, the whole "getting ready to leave the ground" thing...L&P should come later

i'm hoping it's COBL this friday in phoenix

After seeing the shows LAPOE just ends up working up better as an opener. City of Blinding Lights works great where it is a bit into the setlist. How cool is it to see the band come out with those spotlights, while being blown away by the bass and anticipation of the show starting?!?!?!

Back
Top Bottom