MERGED-->ALL Rumored 4th leg of the tour DISCUSSION

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Halup said:

Even if they had to take a financial loss to play in South Africa, they should justify doing it. They have made so much profit off this tour in 2005, so that should easily offset potential losses.

Why?

I really don't know why people are suggesting that U2 would lose money if they played ONE GIG in South Africa. We're fans, too! A family friend saw them in Joburg on the PopMart tour and he had the time of his life. According to him, practically everyone else in the audience did as well. South Africans like U2 just as much as people in New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc do. They could sell out a show!

It's not that people in Africa don't deserve a chance of seeing them or are not "fans enough." It's a matter of business and logistics, if they go to Japan they can "easily" go to Australia and New Zealand and viseversa, and if the go to South America, they can do shows in Mexico and work they way down to Brasil, Argentina, and Chile, at least, South Africa I'm sure they could do more than 1 show, but still moving around 14 trucks worth of equipment, besides management and employees would be to expensive for the ban. At the end of the day it's a business, it would be so cool for them to go to Africa but it's not easily said as done.

GibsonGirl said:
I really don't know why people are suggesting that U2 would lose money if they played ONE GIG in South Africa. We're fans, too! A family friend saw them in Joburg on the PopMart tour and he had the time of his life. According to him, practically everyone else in the audience did as well. South Africans like U2 just as much as people in New Zealand, Australia, South America, etc do. They could sell out a show!

:scratch: No one said that. What was said in one post was U2 should play Africa on this tour because of the ONE campaign theme in part of the show, even if it would lose money. The point I was making responding to that comment is that they should not play anywhere if they will lose money and the premise of why they should go there and possibly lose money doesnt really fit the ONE campaign theme reason anyway. Who said the South African fans werent deserving of getting a show(s)? I dont see that in any of the responses.

because of what this tour is, and what's the meaning behind ... the tour SHOULD end in South Africa... is the prefect way... even better that endig here in Santiago... and I'M saying that

Blue Room said:

:scratch: No one said that. What was said in one post was U2 should play Africa on this tour because of the ONE campaign theme in part of the show, even if it would lose money. The point I was making responding to that comment is that they should not play anywhere if they will lose money and the premise of why they should go there and possibly lose money doesnt really fit the ONE campaign theme reason anyway. Who said the South African fans werent deserving of getting a show(s)? I dont see that in any of the responses.

That's what I get for speed reading. :happy: I apologise.

However, I still believe that if they could go to South Africa during PopMart, they can go there during Vertigo. And I think they should - not only because of the ONE Campaign, but because it's been a hell of a long time since they played there. Really, would the losses they could potentially make by playing a gig or two in South Africa be that big of a deal, considering the huge, HUGE profit they've made with the first three legs? I completely agree when it comes to playing in other African countries, as they'd obviously be massacred financially. But demand does exist in South Africa. They can do well there. So I think the band (and the fans) shouldn't write off the possibility of playing in South Africa entirely.

pepokiss said:
because of what this tour is, and what's the meaning behind ... the tour SHOULD end in South Africa... is the prefect way... even better that endig here in Santiago... and I'M saying that

:scratch: and what would that be? U2 are touring because they like it and they are making money. Bottom line. If you are referring to the ONE Campaign, it is by no means the theme of the tour. Its the theme for 3 songs each night, but not the tour. I could be wrong on this, but I dont think South Africa is one of the debt relief countries that the ONE campaign is aimed at. Thats my point. The countries in Africa that would meet that criteria U2 would not tour in anyway and there is probably little to no demand for them to play those countries either.

GibsonGirl said:

That's what I get for speed reading. :happy: I apologise.

However, I still believe that if they could go to South Africa during PopMart, they can go there during Vertigo. And I think they should - not only because of the ONE Campaign, but because it's been a hell of a long time since they played there. Really, would the losses they could potentially make by playing a gig or two in South Africa be that big of a deal, considering the huge, HUGE profit they've made with the first three legs? I completely agree when it comes to playing in other African countries, as they'd obviously be massacred financially. But demand does exist in South Africa. They can do well there. So I think the band (and the fans) shouldn't write off the possibility of playing in South Africa entirely.

If they can make money or even break even by going to South Africa, by all means they should do it.

4th Leg Announcement this Week? from U2.com

Just got a pretty standard U2.com e-mail update, with this interesting bit of info at the end:

"And when you check in on the Subscribers home page, you?ll never guess who?s been talking to us about being fans of U2. (Here?s a clue. One of them is in a band called Scissor Sisters and the other is in a show called The Sopranos.) That's about it for now, except to say that we are anticipating more exciting news in the next few days. U2.Com will have it first - keep an eye on the site!

Best Wishes

The U2.Com Team"

could only guess it is the 4th leg announcement. or an announcement that they will start posting the real set lists. either way, exciting.

I'll be praying for the South America tour dates!!! I sooo much hope they can make it here again!!!! *prayingsmilie*

Little Steve is on The Sopranos, I wish he would open for U2, maybe Adam could join him on stage (he played on Little Steven's last album). Oh, one can dream!!! :drool:

Last edited:
THEY HAVE TO COME!!!!!

Hey, Brazilian Fly... why don't we start a South American tour thread in the dates section, like those damn Aussies do? :hyper:

people say there are rumors.. but WHERE? :crazy:

Stadiums 4th leg?

Atu2.com:

Update, Nov. 4: Our friends at U2NewZooland.com are reporting that U2 will play two shows in Auckland -- March 16 and 17 at Western Springs Stadium.

From what's been heard, it seems like most places will be stadiums but Australia sounds like indoors. :huh:

:shrug:

Recieved an email from u2.com

It was the same as usual emails but the bottom was interesting:

except to say that we are anticipating more exciting news in the next few days. U2.Com will have it first - keep an eye on the site!

What could this be... Are you Austrailians getting excited yet? :hyper:

axver your dream could be coming true. But they've had to abandon the vertigo tour stage and use the lovetown setup

Miricale_Drug said:
But they've had to abandon the vertigo tour stage and use the lovetown setup

Now that'd rule several countries. :drool:

TheBrazilianFly said:
I'll be praying for the South America tour dates!!! I sooo much hope they can make it here again!!!! *prayingsmilie*

Little Steve is on The Sopranos, I wish he would open for U2, maybe Adam could join him on stage (he played on Little Steven's last album). Oh, one can dream!!! :drool:

Fans saw clipboards of U2's crew with various international city names, including Tokyo, Mexico and Sao Paolo.

Question: anyone know how profitable (or not) the two South African gigs on Popmart were?

fullautoreverse said:
Has anyone checked Sundays papers in Oz? I know its only 6:40am.... :reject:

I've checked the websites of The Age, Sydney Morning Herald, and Courier-Mail and found nothing. As far as Kiwi papers go, the website of the New Zealand Herald is as equally devoid of info, just like Stuff.co.nz which represents a number of Kiwi papers. Nothing on U2NewZooland.com either.

I hope the boys play One Tree Hill for all you Aussies/New Zealanders! I'd probably die just sitting here at home during the setlist party. :faint:

:lol: I really do hope this 4th leg works out well for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom