MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The OOTS said:

I don't understand how equalizing everyones chances makes it unfair. Does that not make it an even playing field, where everyone has a shot???

So doesn't having a lottery for grades make it an even playing field where everyone has a shot? Do you think that's fair? If not, I don't see how it's consistent to think this lottery is fair. And I'm serious when I say I want to see someone try to distinguish this lottery from the scenario Mirrorball Girl described. I really want to know why people think the two situations are different.

And sure people who wanted to wait in line don't like that they can't guarantee a spot in the ellipse by getting there early (although that's not the basis for my argument). Just like people who have to work and can't wait in line didn't like it when getting there early guaranteed you a good spot. People's opinions correspond to their self interest. How shocking.

Also, for the last time, it's possible to not like this system and to still be fully prepared to enjoy the show. Disagreeing is not the same thing as complaining.

The lottery is fantastic and I love watching all of the line squatters justify its unfairness when they've been blocking a majority of GA fans from the bomb shelter/heart experience. Line squatters themselves change the meaning of 'general admission' whether they care to admit it or not.

100% of GA ticket holders got those tickets because they wanted a chance to get in the oval. That chance is eliminated when line same squatters line up a full day before the show, for multiple nights.

The chance is restored with the lottery.

Thank you, U2.

Last edited:
anyone who has the time and dedication to sit around for days outside the arena deserves to be as close as they want to be. first come first serve. if you show up last, you should be the last one in. but hey, whatever.

u2wedge said:
The lottery is fantastic and I love watching all of the line squatters justify its unfairness when they've been blocking a majority of GA fans from the bomb shelter/heart experience. Line squatters themselves change the meaning of 'general admission' whether they care to admit it or not.

100% of GA ticket holders got those tickets because they wanted a chance to get in the oval. That chance is eliminated when line squatters line up a full day before the show, for multiple nights.

The lottery is fantastic and I love watching all the "grade squatters" justify its unfairness when they've been blocking the majority of students from the "A" experience.

Seriously, anyone want to pick apart this analogy? Any takers?

And, uh, people who line up first to go in first change are exploiting the definition of GA, not changing it.

Finally, there just aren't that many people who go from show to show and get in line early. Certainly not enough to fill 400 spots in the oval. So would be no group of people following U2 around preventing everyone else from getting in.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

100% of GA ticket holders got those tickets because they wanted a chance to get in the oval. That chance is eliminated when line same squatters line up a full day before the show, for multiple nights.

Thank you, U2.

Errr...by "line squatters", you mean people who sacrifice THEIR OWN time and efforts in trying to get a good spot?

Shame on them.

Of course I'm not serious.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

And in most circumstances, "equalizing" chances is what makes it unfair. We all get that we all have the same shot at getting into the bomb shelter. But all that does is make it equally unfair for everyone..

This has to be one of the most ass backwards statements I've ever read.

Equalizing chances makes it unfair? Equally unfair for everyone?

Why don't they just give the lotto prize to the person who gets in line first at the Quick Stop? Hmmmm.... because that wouldn't be fair, right?

Lotteries are inherently fair, anyone who says they're not is living in denial.

u2wedge said:

Hmmm, not so much when people don't get to choose whether or not they're participating in one.

u2wedge said:

Thank you, U2.

Line squatters?! Don't be such an snob! The POINT OF GA IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE! THAT IS THE DEFINITION! IT IS THE MEANING OF GA!!! PERIOD. Anything else is NOT GA. It's a LOTTO! Learn about concert going before you point fingers! I've seen 70+ shows from dozens of artists and this is the first instance I've ever seen of doing a lotto after telling people it was GA.

u2wedge said:

This has to be one of the most ass backwards statements I've ever read.

Equalizing chances makes it unfair? Equally unfair for everyone?

Why don't they just give the lotto prize to the person who gets in line first at the Quick Stop? Hmmmm.... because that wouldn't be fair, right?

There are many situations where lottos are unfair. No one seems to be picking up on the test/grade analogy, but in that situation, a lotto is unfair to the point of absurdity. Sure, you're "equalizing" everyone's chances of getting a good grade, but is anyone here actually going to pretend that's a fair way of distributing grades? For the 100th time, how is that different than what's happening here?

Equalizing chances makes it unfair because we were sold General Ad. tickets. Ticketmaster's website has the definition, go read it yourself. It tells you that you get your spot on a first come first serve basis. You show up early, you get your spot. That's how it's unfair.

raincloud said:

Line squatters?! Don't be such an snob! The POINT OF GA IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE! THAT IS THE DEFINITION! IT IS THE MEANING OF GA!!! PERIOD. Anything else is NOT GA. It's a LOTTO! Learn about concert going before you point fingers! I've seen 70+ shows from dozens of artists and this is the first instance I've ever seen of doing a lotto after telling people it was GA.

I'd just like to point out that even if you don't get in the bomb shelter, your tickets are still GA... You don't get sent to the stands.

JTRevelator15 said:

I'd just like to point out that even if you don't get in the bomb shelter, your tickets are still GA... You don't get sent to the stands.

No, that means your tickets are still FLOOR tickets. A lottery means that admission is no longer general. And when admission ceases to be general, it is no longer general admission.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

No, that means your tickets are still FLOOR tickets. A lottery means that admission is no longer general. And when admission ceases to be general, it is no longer general admission.

If you have GA tickets you are guaranteed a spot on the floor which is general admission. Lottery or no lottery.

Nowhere will you find an official seating diagram where there is a GA inside of the oval.

Technicality? Yes. Reality? Apparently.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

If you have GA tickets you are guaranteed a spot on the floor which is general admission. Lottery or no lottery.

Do you understand the distinction between "floor" and "general admission"? The floor is a place. General admission is a system. If I am guaranteed a spot in a specific place, that says nothing about the system that got me there. They could sell reserved seats on the floor and that wouldn't magically make them general admission.

A lottery is fundamentally a different system than general admission. By every definition I've ever seen (including the one that ticketmaster uses), GA is first come first serve. It goes in order of arrival. A lottery is random. It's incoherent to say the you can have a system that goes in order and is random. If it's random, by definition it doesn't go in order. So if it's a lottery, it is by definition not GA.

Last edited:
Too say that I was greatly disappointed with Monday's GA situation is an understatment. My three friends and I arrived at the SA at 8:30 am. We found two lines, u2.com, and the GA line. To make a long story short, none of us got into the ellipse. I went to 14 shows on the Elevation tour, and gained access into the heart by camping out during the day. We couldn't see A DAMN THING on Monday because they were tall guys in front of us. I completely understand the band wanting to make the GA experience more accessible, all I ask is that we would have been NOTIFIED of this DRASTIC shift. I had GA tickets for the first Anaheim show, but passed them on to some great people I met in line on Monday. I genuinely feel that the GA experience is in danger of losing that time for great people to get together and bond during the day. As I was being denied access to the ellipse on Monday night, I watched in utter horror as a girl was granted access and asked what songs U2 sang!:drool:
We all know the hard core group of about 20 people, mostly girls that follow the band around the country and the world, and to their various tv appearances-I think its these people that are causing this shift in policy regarding access to the ellipse. The band shouldn't punish the rest of us-Get a restaining order or something. One of these girls actually told me that during the last tour the band's kids were placed in front of them because the band knew these people would protect them,nutty.
Please fix this GA policy, and groupies, do the right thing and move over. You all look pathetic.:madspit:

u2wedge said:

:up: Yep...as it stands nobody knows where they will be standing for the shows they are attending. Line or no line. First come first served or not. Lottery or no lottery. That is general admission is. You are quaranteed a spot on the floor.

The alternative is reserved seating.

Last edited:
jenniferheger said:
As I was being denied access to the ellipse on Monday night, I watched in utter horror as a girl was granted access and asked what songs U2 sang!:

She doesn't deserve the same access you do because she didn't know the songs? Did she not pay the same amount for a ticket as you??

The OOTS said:
That is general admission is. You are quaranteed a spot on the floor.

This is getting way off topic, but that's okay ... no. No, general admission is not guaranteeing one a spot on the floor by definition. The definition, including "first come first served" has been posted many times. Just to clarify. I have been to dozens of general admission concerts where the general admission policy included all the seats in the venue as well. General admission is a policy. The floor is a place.

The OOTS said:
I think people assume GA means 'first come first served'.

But see, in the words of Ticketmaster (from whom the tickets were purchased) it does mean just that. Maybe someone can find the definition; it's been posted here before.

HAS IT or has it not been the case during all past U2 tours that the GA space has been first come, first serve? Camping out all day has always insured a spot in the heart, etc.

tkramer said:

1.) GA by TICKETMASTER'S OWN DEFINITION MEANS THIS:

My tickets say "General Admission." What does that mean?
General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE basis. When purchasing tickets for a General Admission event, you may be quoted section, row, and seat numbers, however these are for inventory purposes only and do not reflect any actual seating location.

Ticketmaster, U2, heck the entire history of GA would lead someone who is purchasing a ticket to believe that they are getting a real GA ticket. This current system is not. It's a lottery system, and a weird one at that.

People have purchased hotel rooms, rental cars, airfare, etc. much that is non-refundable. It's a serious commitment to drop a 1,000+ dollars, pounds, etc. to go see a show. It has nothing to do with this entitlement crap people keep bringing up. And honestly, aren't there already 15,000 other SEATS for people who don't want to stand in line all day?

Thank you.

The OOTS said:
I think people assume GA means 'first come first served'. What it really mean is that you don't have a spot reserved.

From ticketmaster's FAQ page:

My tickets say "General Admission." What does that mean?

General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a first-come, first-served basis.

I don't know how much clearer that could be.

Last edited:
I think people camp out because they want the best spot they can possibly get in a GA section....thus naturally leading to a 'first come first served' scenario. I don't think it has been defined. TM says GA is standing on the floor. That is the only def I could find.

This is what I found:

General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a first-come, first-served basis...except any areas nicknamed the 'bomb shelter'.

Back
Top Bottom