MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mtnfox said:

As far as "true" fans go, tickets in general were hard enough to come by, not to mention GAs. If you have GAs, you probably had to do a little work to get them. I think MOST GA ticket holders are "true" fans. Just enjoy the music, people!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, it is not the case. Most of the best tickets for a big concert go to people with connections, NOT fans. That includes the best seats and a good amount of GAs. Here is an example:

During the Elevation Tour, I was a techie for another show on tour in the U.S., so I had some connections both with the PR/publicity world and the ticketing world. For Montreal I asked a guy I worked with to ask another guy at Admission in Montreal if he could put me on the list of people who get tickets before they go for the general sale. He said he would try, but there was already a list 25 pages long. I got a pair of GAs for both shows with no sweat.

For Philly, I asked our PR girl if she could help me out, she called a friend who works for U2's publicity company, she got us 8 amazing seats right next to the stage. Two of us were hard-core fans and had the time of our lives. The other 6 came because U2 is the biggest live act in the world and thought it would be a fun way to spend their Saturday night. They sat down for most of the show except the big hits.

For Dallas I asked the same PR girl (who is not a friend, she was just a distant co-worker) and got 4 GAs no sweat. I don't even know the people who got me all those tickets, they was at least one or two people between us. And still I got all the tickets I wanted.

All that to say that while these connections were a great help to the U2 nut I am, and that I would have tried to go to all these shows anyways, it shows how a LOT of people get into U2 shows because of connections, not because they care about U2 all that much. The numbers are probably way beyond what most average fan would expect. I would bet that less than 2/3 of GAs for a given show actually go on sale to the public.

These are the people who show up at 8pm for the most part, and with the current system they have as much chance to get into the Ellipse than fans. That's not what I call fair.

Re: Re: Any Word on 3/30 line policy?

skjuls said:

But my friend is at the arena and talked to mgmt so this is second hand info. it sounds like no lottery today but a lottery will take place the first show of a mulitple show stop or something like that.

Wow, that is nutty. They sure are trying to make things complicated!

i just dont understand why they decided to change a perfectly good system they used for elevation

This is just a bunch of propaganda (no pun intended) crap. It seems as if Adam's brother is behind this. They probably got those quotes by bribing with entrance in the ellipse.

Having a lottery doesnt make sense. Why have one if it actually going to make ppl line up even EARLIER. People will know that now they have to get there earlier to prepare for the likelihood that they won't get in the ellipse.

skjuls said:
I was 122 and my roomie was 123 but we got separted since his ticket was presale and mine was not. His ticket beeped and he took me in.

Ok .. but werent you guys in two different lines? How did he take you in? Did he have to go find you? :confused:

There will only be one line tonight since there was no presale for this show - it was added the day of general onsale.

you can give your friend a call and wait for them to get there and then you can get your wristbands together

i was next to a girl near the tip of the heart, she still had friends outside and she got a call that one of them beeped and wanted to take her, she freaked out then ran out to meet her friend and got the wristband

Re: Re: Re: Any Word on 3/30 line policy?

KentK said:

Wow, that is nutty. They sure are trying to make things complicated!

Yeah, no kidding. I wonder why they would do that? From my experience, the lines are just as crazy at the last show of a 4 night stand as at the first one. And if the reasoning is to have different people up front...then that only matters at the first show of a multiple night stand? I won't judge until we know what the actual policy is, but that would strike me as a weird system.

Any idea of what time the line ups started?

And I would guess that there is only one line today, but all tickets will still be scanned for elipse access... Just a guess...

I just spoke to someone there. They said there are NOT two lines today because no one knew about bringing their membership card as it is not posted on u2.com.

It is posted on atu2.com but as far as I know most people wouldn't conside that official. There was also a lot of uproar because some did know about it but never received their membership card so they brought email confirmations and the venue would not accept them.

So basically another smooth well-planned well-organized day for U2 GA ticket holders.

Wait a sec, they're actually going to allow people to bring their U2.com membership cards into the venue? Those things are like weapons, you could take someone's head off with one of those babies!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Any Word on 3/30 line policy?

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
I won't judge until we know what the actual policy is, but that would strike me as a weird system.

It is weird, because it does not eliminate the day(+) long lineups that happen.

Sicy said:

Ok .. but werent you guys in two different lines? How did he take you in? Did he have to go find you? :confused:

We were in two different lines and he waited for me. However the Arena staff gave him a hard time and told him to decide right then and there. I wasn't that far away from him.

A U2 guy helped him and said it was ok to wait for me. I think his name is Phil and he walked up thru the whole process.

Side note: Paul McGuinness was observing the GA line/lottery set up so they watching this closely!

Chizip said:
you can give your friend a call and wait for them to get there and then you can get your wristbands together

i was next to a girl near the tip of the heart, she still had friends outside and she got a call that one of them beeped and wanted to take her, she freaked out then ran out to meet her friend and got the wristband

Also you can wait around because some people dont' have a person to take in with them. Mattress guy (can't remember his name), this is how he got in. He just asked people who got beeped if they had someone to take in and this guy said NO.

Lucky him!

i talked to someone in line today, and she showed up at 5:30 am and was #53, so its a little less of a wait today

she also said that the u2.com guy said that therew ould be 2 lines, and poeple with a membership card would be in the second line, but nobody really had it and got pissed off and tried to print out confirmation pages but they wouldnt accept it

so everybody in line started chanting "one line!, one line!" and 10 minutes later the guy came out and said it would be one line

now we just need to get people chanting "no lottery!"

Last edited:
Chizip said:
i talked to someone in line today, and she showed up at 5:30 am and was #53, so its a little less of a wait today

That's still pretty nutty... :huh:

:sigh:

I guess my plans to show up at 9-10 am might have to be reconsidered... hopefully people will start catching on as the tour progresses that there really is no need to start THAT early... yes, I know we still want to be at the front of the line but yikes...

i like this lottery thing , it's fair to all people , real random style , much better then a freakin number , i 'm working 7 days a week , will come to arena at 5 pm , fresh and ready to dance ,

WinnieThePoo said:
i like this lottery thing , it's fair to all people , real random style , much better then a freakin number , i 'm working 7 days a week , will come to arena at 5 pm , fresh and ready to dance ,

Then buy a seat. There's 14,000 of those...

"The lottery is a tax on stupid people."

Could become a rallying cry:

"The lottery gets lazy, casual fans into the ellipse."

Doesn't really have the same ring to it, does it?.

Oh well. I'm just going to hope I get lucky.

That hasn't worked yet with women, though.

so if this is a totally random process...why have lines for people who bought the pre-sale tickets and ones who didn't? I am hoping they doing it because they are letting more of the U2.com paid subscribers in...

bonosleftone said:
If there was no presale you have to bring your U2.com membership card to get in the U2.com line.

Do you even read the stories on U2.com? All your answers are there.

Yes, I do read the stories on u2.com and this question is definitely not answered there.

I was at the show on Monday night and was side stage upper level. I had friends who had GA and they DID get inside the ellipse. From where I was, it looked like if you werent in the ellipse, the back was pretty far back. Maybe its because SD Arena was so small that the ellipse takes over the whole front, but I remember during Elevation the fans could be on the rail around the entire ellipse, not just behind it. At SD, there was noone around the sides, just behind the barrier. So Im thinking at larger arenas there will be room for fans around the ellipse too, atleast I hope. I really dont like this new procedure AT ALL! I think its horrible that people have to still line up all day just to get a spot behind the barrier in back of the ellipse if you dont get chosen by the damn lottery. For me, like some of you mentioned, I either want to be inside otherwise I will stay back by the soundboard, cuz if you arent within the 1st 3-4 rows behind the barrier, Im not gonna see shit anyways and I dont want to be pushed around and lose my spot ifI have to go pee. Im almost considering trading my GAs for really good lower level seats too if SJ1 doesnt work out for me because I dont want to be all stressed out and wait all day to be at the back of the floor.
Anyways, the show was awesome but just hearing all the stories about this GA nightmare wasnt fun at all.

it was crap. crap crap crap crap crap crap crap. and more crap.

that was the only fucking show i got tickets for.

pure crap.

i will never get over this.

Im so sorry for you bonosgirl :sad:
That sucks so bad. I cant even imagine waiting all day and then that happening. So where were you on the floor then?

thx, U2SJ. and to everyone who feels sad for me. :hug:

i was at the tip of the circle, with one girl in front of me. but i had to give up my spot when i was too crushed to breathe. i was pulled over the railing right after vertigo.

we did get to see bono drive in, though. he waved at us. i waited two hours right at the opening of the gate. there was talk that he might come out, but he never did.

Back
Top Bottom