MERGED --> ALL QUESTIONS/COMMENTS about the ELLIPSE HERE + "Ellipse" GA Policy U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tkramer said:
Honestly, there wasn't much complaining about the GA line on the last tour. 99% of everyone I knew loved it. The folks who didn't just bought seats, and everyone was happy.

I seem to remember PLENTY of complaining last time around. Some people just are impossible to please. No matter what, they will always find something wrong.

Personally, I'm happy just to be alive and have the chance to see U2 as many times as I have. That being said, I'm praying that my ticket "beeps" tomorrow in Anaheim!

After reading the numerous posts on this subject, I can understand everyone's feelings on the subject. One of my fondest memories was attending U2's ZooTV concert and experiencing 60,000 people all singing "One" in unison. What surprised me even more was how all of the people in our section had their arms around one another swaying as Bono let the audience sing. It was then I realized the power of U2's music and how it brought a sense of unity within their fans. There's nothing more special than when all of us get together and sing "40." I always thank my friend that took me to that show and I try to make sure that I pass along that experience each time U2 tours by bringing someone with me to the show that is a U2 concert virgin.
However, that whole spirit doesn't seem to translate when it comes to talk about the Ellipse. The way I look at it, it gives everyone the same fair shot. I know some people have the dedication to spend the time before a show to "ensure" their spot. And I'm happy for those fans - but what about those fans that don't have that luxury. I understand the argument that "you'd make the time," but what if U2 "auctioned" the spots inside the Ellipse (and donated the proceeds to one of their charitable causes)? Then the power shifts from those that have the ability to make the time to those that make the money. One could say if someone's dedicated enough to want to get into the Ellipse, then they could get a second job to be able to win the auction. At least with the current system, it treats every GA ticket equally. The scanner doesn't discriminate against your financial situation, your race, creed, color, gender, religion or even your ability (or lack thereof) to spend the day standing in line.
I'm really looking forward to seeing U2 again and I hope it's singing "40" with the fans that have the spirit of U2 and not the ones that are thinking selfishly about themselves.

I was right in front of the mixing desk for Vegas Elevation and it was really not that bad. Not as good as inside the heart and not as good as the rail on the outside, but if you're short like me 5'3" you can see from the back.

I watched the floor through my binoculars during SD1 and it did seem to be a very tight crowd with a lot of pushing forward! :yikes: So if my ticket does not beep, I may opt for standing further back to be out of the push.

GreginCali said:
The way I look at it, it gives everyone the same fair shot. I know some people have the dedication to spend the time before a show to "ensure" their spot. And I'm happy for those fans - but what about those fans that don't have that luxury. I understand the argument that "you'd make the time," but what if U2 "auctioned" the spots inside the Ellipse (and donated the proceeds to one of their charitable causes)? Then the power shifts from those that have the ability to make the time to those that make the money.

Actually, there are quite a few people in the world, and even this country that could not attend a U2 show because of financial considerations.

If U2 really wanted to charge $1,000 per GA ticket and donate to charity, and if they could get it, fine. It would rule me out. It is completely thoughtful and generous of the band to make GA tickets the cheapest in the arena. I applaud them wholeheartedly for this effort.

Under the present system, however, what dicates a good spot is money and time. It is ultimately frustrating to many who spent large amounts of time, energy and emotion into first getting GA tickets at all, and second, planning ahead to get the best possible spot at the show. Adding the element of chance again into the process, so late, after it was already a tossup to get GA tickets at all, is in part what is tough to swallow.

Now the GA area has been changed, (granted, not as much as it could have been), and people are upset about it. I happen to think that the complaints should be heard by U2.com, because the present lottery system seems somewhat arbitrary at the moment, and could be greatly improved.

Last edited:
BEAL said:
I think another strong contributor to this new lottery system was the fiasco in Boston. People were handpicked either by U2, NBC, HBO, or all together for the heart.

This caused a huge uproar and even had fans barking at Bono when they met him at the airport/hotel (Diamond could tell you better). Bono got so irritated that he yelled back at a few of these fans.

I wouldn't be surprised that from that day on there were discussions on how to change the GA lineups.

I think the whole point is with GA's, you're not guaranteed anything, no matter what time you show up. So just deal with it. It's supposed to be about the music...

You could be partially correct on that. What was even more ridiculous was the fans that did the protest had been to about 25 shows. Even more ridiculous was they were still IN the heart. The only thing U2 did wrong in that situation was not notify those camping out of what was going to happen. So that was pretty crappy. But the reaction to that situation (especially considering they were still in the heart) was WAY out of proportion. Look at Larry's expression at the beginning of Desire on the DVD, he is looking over at the protest when he shakes his head in disgust. Think about it, are these the type people you want in front of you every night? Who would turn on you when they didnt get exactly their way ONE time out of 20???

Someone posted about it being 30 to 40 people traveling to see 20 to 30 shows. I think the 40 to 50 range is correct, is that alot on the whole crowd. NO But then consider the heart held 300 and that those are the fans the band really sees the most and that these same people were typically the ones lining the inside edge of the heart. If the band is starting to reconize you every night, then its getting out of hand and that was occuring all the time on Elevation and the band was getting sick of it. Not what some of you want to hear, but its their show, their concert, their perogative.

I say all of this from a perspective of indifference towards the GA situation either way. Aspects of the lottery are good IMO. 100's of people camping out the day before the actual show is ridiculous and this helps alleviate alot of that. Then again, first come, first serve is also a very fair way of doing it. I remember alot of fans on Elevation were complaining in the other direction that tickets should be printed for the heart only, OR it should be random. Plus there were some big time screw ups and line Nazis at some shows for the GA who had some major double standards when it came to the first come, first serve criteria.

The bottom line is the lottery is the best alternative from the band and their managements perspective. A Rolling Stones song comes to mind. "You cant always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need". Your going to see the greatest rock band in the world perform. Savor it regardless of where you are at in the crowd, who knows how many more tours there will be.

Last edited:
Hallelujah Here She Comes said:

Do you understand the distinction between "floor" and "general admission"? The floor is a place. General admission is a system. If I am guaranteed a spot in a specific place, that says nothing about the system that got me there. They could sell reserved seats on the floor and that wouldn't magically make them general admission.

A lottery is fundamentally a different system than general admission. By every definition I've ever seen (including the one that ticketmaster uses), GA is first come first serve. It goes in order of arrival. A lottery is random. It's incoherent to say the you can have a system that goes in order and is random. If it's random, by definition it doesn't go in order. So if it's a lottery, it is by definition not GA.

Yes I know the difference. I simply stated that there is no official seating chart that has 'GA' inside the oval. GA is for the floor only.

You make a point, and then contradict yourself in every post I've read.

The technical definition of 'General Admission' is 'unreserved seating', (or if you're not American, 'festival seating' or 'open floor'.) Find me a definition of General Admission as being 'first come, first served' and I'll stand corrected. Where does anyone say that there is any type of 'order'? A lottery eliminates any type of 'order' that may materialize with GA lines forming too far in advance before a show.

And let's face it, there is just too much demand for the bomb shelter. The lottery is the way to go to IMHO.

Mirrorball Girl said:

This is getting way off topic, but that's okay ... no. No, general admission is not guaranteeing one a spot on the floor by definition. The definition, including "first come first served" has been posted many times. Just to clarify. I have been to dozens of general admission concerts where the general admission policy included all the seats in the venue as well. General admission is a policy. The floor is a place.

In the context of this thread, my statement is absolutely correct.

A General Admission U2 ticket guarantees you a spot on the floor of the venue.

u2wedge said:

Yes I know the difference. I simply stated that there is no official seating chart that has 'GA' inside the oval. GA is for the floor only.

You make a point, and then contradict yourself in every post I've read.

The technical definition of 'General Admission' is 'unreserved seating', (or if you're not American, 'festival seating' or 'open floor'.) Find me a definition of General Admission as being 'first come, first served' and I'll stand corrected.

LOL! Are you kidding me?? I've lost count of the times this has been posted in this thread, but here you go. From ticketmaster's FAQ page:

My tickets say "General Admission." What does that mean?

General Admission refers to seating or standing areas that are not assigned or reserved, and are occupied on a first-come, first-served basis.

I don't know how much clearer that could be. We all bought our tickets from ticketmaster, so I think we had a reasonable expectation that their definition of general admission would be used.

I understand your point about the ellipse not being specifically designated as GA on any official seating chart. However, I find it hard to believe that it signifies anything, especially since the ellipse is not designated as anything else. You'd think if they really meant it to be something else, they'd correct the natural conclusion that it's general admission along with the rest of the floor. Also, all of the seating charts I'm finding on ticketmaster, while they don't have an ellipse on them, indicate that the entire floor is general admission. For example, this is the U2-specific seating chart from the LA Staples Center:

http://media.ticketmaster.com/en-us/tmimages/venue/maps/la1/12762s.gif

Yeah, that's a technicality, but this whole line of argument is based on technicality, so I think it's only fair.

Perhaps, the ellipse was not designated as GA on any of those charts because they knew its access would be determined by a lottery.

The chart in the link you've shown is a 'generic' TM GA layout for a concert and may not be specific to U2.

The OOTS said:
Perhaps, the ellipse was not designated as GA on any of those charts because they knew its access would be determined by a lottery.

The chart in the link you've shown is a 'generic' TM GA layout for a concert and may not be specific to U2.
\

Actually, according to ticketmaster it is specific to U2. Go look at the U2 shows on ticketmaster. For many of the shows, if you click on the seating chart, it will have a U2-specific seating chart. As in, the seating chart is entitled "U2" as opposed to "end-stage" or "concert" or "hockey" or whatever. The seating chart I linked to is the LA Staples Center seating chart that is specifically designated as the U2 seating chart. And on it, the whole floor is GA. It's like that for every U2-specific seating chart I could find. Based on that, I'd think anyone would have a right to conclude that the entire floor would be GA.

Those charts are generically given for any show that has GA and an end stage setup. More a tribute to TMs stupidity than anything...

The charts that show an ellipse...does it say GA inside the ellipse? Or is it on the outside??

Last edited:
The OOTS said:

Why are you trying to hard to defend what is an obvious Faux Pas on the part of U2 management? We still love them, they just screwed up.

The OOTS said:
Those charts are generically given for any show that has GA and an end stage setup. More a tribute to TMs stupidity more than anything...

Even if that's true, are you really saying people don't have a right to rely on what's actually on ticketmaster?? We all bought the tickets from ticketmaster. If we're not supposed to rely on the seating chart they provide us with, then I'm not exactly sure what we are supposed to rely on. It's not like U2 provided us with an official seating chart.

And, I'm sorry, but if ticketmaster is using generic seating charts and specifically calling them U2 seating charts, then it's as much U2's fault as ticketmasters. I sincerely doubt that if U2 wanted the ellipse seating chart posted on ticketmaster that it wouldn't be there.

The OOTS said:
Why can't you accept that this is the way the BAND wants it!!

You'll be entertained either way.

That's true. I will be entertained either way. And I can accept that the band seems to want it this way. But they've also specifically asked for our opinions (there's a giant thread on zootopia where you can post them), so they obviously want to hear differing opinions. Also, just because they want it that way doesn't mean I can't use my brain and my sense of fairness to determine that I don't like it.

Plus...didn't TM actually reverse some seating charts after tickets were sold during the fanclub presales? Some people thought they were getting good seats only to find out they were in the back of the arena.

They aren't the brightest group.

The OOTS said:
For all TM knew, when these tickets were sold... back in Jan...there would be no ellipse.

Then why are those seating charts still up? And didn't U2 know that there would be an ellipse? If so, then it's still their fault that they didn't put out a proper seating chart to post on ticketmaster.

That's true. I will be entertained either way. And I can accept that the band seems to want it this way. But they've also specifically asked for our opinions (there's a giant thread on zootopia where you can post them), so they obviously want to hear differing opinions. Also, just because they want it that way doesn't mean I can't use my brain and my sense of fairness to determine that I don't like it.

That's cool...I admire that.

Then why are those seating charts still up? And didn't U2 know that there would be an ellipse? If so, then it's still their fault that they didn't put out a proper seating chart to post on ticketmaster.

They don't get specific with anyone's stage designs on those charts...they are generic! They just sell tickets.

They don't show rows and seats either. That could be misleading too.

Last edited:
The OOTS said:

They don't get specific with anyone's stage designs on those charts...they are generic!

If they're generic, then they shouldn't be specifically labeled as U2 seating charts! I don't care how incompetent ticketmaster is, U2 has power over that. And, sorry, ticketmaster does get specific with seating charts. They did on the last U2 tour and I've seen them do it with other artists as well.

Honestly, I don't think the seating charts prove anything. But it's ridiculous to say that people should have known that it's not GA inside the ellipse based on seating charts. The seating chart that virtually everyone relies on (and that is specifically labeled with U2's name) does not indicate that.

The point is...people assumed the GA policy was to be the same as Elevation. The band didn't say that it was or it wasn't to be the same. That is the only thing people can be upset about. Now that it is a stated policy...so what? Line up for the rail outside of the ellipse or to experience the GA thing, nobody is stopping people from doing that.

Would you really rather sit in the rafters for $95, back of the arena for $160, or still have that chance at front row for $50. No choice really...for me anyways.

Don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled to have GAs and I'll be fine wherever I end up (assuming I can both see and breathe). But the bottome line is that I don't think a lottery is fair. I think I've fully explained why I feel that way, so I'm done for now. :wave:

Don't get me wrong...I'm thrilled to have GAs and I'll be fine wherever I end up (assuming I can both see and breathe). But the bottome line is that I don't think a lottery is fair. I think I've fully explained why I feel that way, so I'm done for now. :wave:

I am in total agreement. I'm lucky to be in the building. I'm happy to see U2. Getting into the bomb shelter is just an added bonus. The lottery method also seems unfair to me. The diehard fans should be rewarded. Plus it's good for the band because the most dedicated fans will be close to them, thus making the atmosphere better for them.

notice how i used 'bomb shelter'. that is very important. always say bomb shelter.

OOTS-I feel the same as you, just happy to be in the building. But being a 5'5 female, I wasn't able to see a thing and I had camped out all day.I felt like I was having an out of body experience/horrible nightmare as the band took the stage and I couldn't see a damn thing. The only times I saw Edge & Bono was the few times they were out on the catwalk, directly in front of us. I believe I know, why U2 did this, as I said in an earlier post, to make the GA experience even better, and to get the hard core groupies out of their faces every night. I got so tired of those twins getting into the heart at the 13 shows I went to last tour, and I NEVER saw them or their friends in line. I just wish the band had told us about the change before the show-But then again the bitching would have been unbearable. So I guess the answer might be to get them out on the catwalk more. Come on boys, surely you could muster that?!

:edge:

lottery

personally I think it's a good idea, there are many fans who will be unable to camp out over night- things like kids, jobs etc so why should they lose out?

as I said in another post the GA in the US shows is so small that wherever you are you should see alot of the stage

People who have to work should of bought seats.
That is biggest load of crap I ever heard.
OH yeah I just bought a ticket from a scalper outside the arena about 10 mins ago and waltzed right on into the bomb shelter.
I think they are going to system though.

Back
Top Bottom