MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aardvark747 said:
I love how Adam shuts his eyes and is truly 'feeling' the bass during 'Into The Heart'!:wink:

I like how the little boy Bono pulls on stage is wearing a t-shirt of my football team!! (Celtic F.C) :wink:

as i have said, i honestly thought bono sounded better on the chigago DVD than he did on the boston one, :shrug: it really does seem now, that no matter what U2 put out, if it isnt from ZooTv or Popmart, people will complain

KUEFC09U2 said:
as i have said, i honestly thought bono sounded better on the chigago DVD than he did on the boston one, :shrug: it really does seem now, that no matter what U2 put out, if it isnt from ZooTv or Popmart, people will complain

he sounds about the same as boston maybe. i dont mind bonos voice at all. i still like it. his voice doesnt bother me, its the mix... terrible terrible mix

jeffschmid said:

he sounds about the same as boston maybe. i dont mind bonos voice at all. i still like it. his voice doesnt bother me, its the mix... terrible terrible mix
as i said in a previous post, my mix sounds good coming from my stereo and t.v. speakers :shrug:

KUEFC09U2 said:

I must be living in an alternate reality or something, I don't hear what was wrong with his performance during Elevation in Boston. He was struggling in Chicago during Elevation, he nailed it in Boston. He also nailed other songs like Bad and Kite. And no, I'm not complaining about Chicago either, but I'm not hearing the same thing as everyone else I guess? :ohmy:

Doesn't matter to me anyway, I was never attracted to U2 by good singing and pretty looks.

bcrt2000 said:

I must be living in an alternate reality or something, I don't hear what was wrong with his performance during Elevation in Boston. He was struggling in Chicago during Elevation, he nailed it in Boston. He also nailed other songs like Bad and Kite. And no, I'm not complaining about Chicago either, but I'm not hearing the same thing as everyone else I guess? :ohmy:

Doesn't matter to me anyway, I was never attracted to U2 by good singing and pretty looks.
as i have said before, i just find bono's technique to be alot better this tour, the way he sings etc,

KUEFC09U2 said:
i noticed that aswell, i am sure he had a tear in his eyes

near the start of the song you see larry looking over towards adam with a look that might be "whats that all about...?"

you people are crazy. This is the best concert DVD U2 have put out. Yes, "Streets" was awesome on the Boston DVD, but going by how many people are complaining about Bono's voice being off in the Vertigo DVD, where are the complaints of how he consistently was singing "where the shhhreets have no name"?

Eh, I just felt that this DVD captured everything great about all of the previous U2 tours and rolled them up into 1 great concert.

I liked watching the documentary more than the show lol. Aside from (or maybe the result of) any technical problems, the concert part just doesn't evoke the excitement of the live show for me.

The documentary on the other hand was a nice backstage pass for us GA die-hards. I couldn't help but think it was also a strange, subliminal apology to the Boston GA fans from Elevation who got trumped by the beautiful people to get into the heart for the DVD cameras lol.

:lol:

Eh, I just felt that this DVD captured everything great about all of the previous U2 tours and rolled them up into 1 great concert. [/B]

:eyebrow: ?

Love and Peace was definately not rolled up from a previous tour :madspit:

:)

joyfulgirl said:
Not to beat a dead horse with the negativity but I watched the DVD last night and it was very disappointing. Bono's scratchy voice nearly made me cry and the show was just average. Not at all on the level of the shows I saw (except for maybe opening night San Diego). I was actually bored and didn't get through it. Now that's coming from someone who watches U2 live DVDs over and over and over and can still get chills (as recently as Sunday, in fact) watching ZooTV.

I feel bad for the band, they can't possibly be happy with this DVD, can they? Maybe they should've taken a page out of Wilco's book and scrapped it. Wilco had announced a live DVD was coming out on 11/15 and two weeks ago announced they weren't happy with it and didn't release it. I just don't think this is an accurate reflection of the overall tour (or if it is, I was crazy to see it 4 times) and it's a shame this will be what we have of that tour. They were working their asses off, too, but the show just didn't seem to take off. Edge, though, I have to say, rocks like nobody's business. And props to Best Buy for carrying the deluxe version for $23. :up:

I agree with everything:up:

I went in with high expectations and this concert definitely didn't live up to them (which is my fault more than anything for hyping it up so much). I honestly couldn't make it through the entire show in one sitting. Aside from a few choice performances, I don't think I'll be watching it from start to finish anytime soon.

The band feels too serious at times in this DVD, we need a home crowd DVD where the band cuts loose like they did with Slane 2.

wow, this dvd sucks so much. the audio mix is so bad, drums are quiet when they should be mega powerful and bass is way louder than guitar on a lot of parts. video doesn't capture the show the way other concert videos do. i'm just very surprised how much i don't like it. i don't see myself watching this dvd again, unlike u2's other videos which i've totally worn out. i've watched R&H, ZooTV, PopMart so much that i had to buy more copies. but this chicago dvd is just a let down because i've been to 5 vertigo shows and the video doesn't capture any of the real feelings from the concerts. i wonder if the band watched this, i just don't see them saying "ok, yeah this is great, sell this to our fans". they better release another dvd from this tour because it's a shame that such a great tour has such a crap video.

nuke126 said:
wow, this dvd sucks so much. the audio mix is so bad, drums are quiet when they should be mega powerful and bass is way louder than guitar on a lot of parts. video doesn't capture the show the way other concert videos do. i'm just very surprised how much i don't like it. i don't see myself watching this dvd again, unlike u2's other videos which i've totally worn out. i've watched R&H, ZooTV, PopMart so much that i had to buy more copies. but this chicago dvd is just a let down because i've been to 5 vertigo shows and the video doesn't capture any of the real feelings from the concerts. i wonder if the band watched this, i just don't see them saying "ok, yeah this is great, sell this to our fans". they better release another dvd from this tour because it's a shame that such a great tour has such a crap video.
why not? there are people that do think its great? personally as i have said, it ranks at number 2, just behing popmart for me

not really a review of the dvd, but i myself have been pretty critical of bono's singing ability as of recent....but after watching his performance of SYCMIOYO on the chicago DVD i must say i am kinda eating my words....he hits some crazy notes and i was proud to be wrong :wink:

still not so sure he could pull off lemon anymore....:reject:

but we wont even go there with this thread :ohmy:

nuke126 said:

thank you thank you thank you!!!! i've been going on and on about the terrible audio and everyone has been like "it must be your speakers"... the mix is terrible! aside from being terrible it sounds absolutely NOT LIVE. i truly believe some of the shots are amazing, but the audio and the loads of continuity errors make this just what you said, a crap video...

my 2 cents. if you are going to buy it, which almost all of us will, if we haven't already, get the single disc. the documentary is a smoking pile of crap.

so much potential, completely wasted.

and no offense if you were in the documentary, but it makes the fans outside look like a bunch of tools. i have a feeling the guys putting this together were laughing at the fans, not with them.

and video is cheap, why is the extra dvd so short? maybe that's best, keep the crap to a minimum.

Just wanted to all the Aussie fans out there that i have just bought vertigo dvd at Jb hifi in Sydney and they have both versions i can't wait to go home and watch it.

Razor Edge :) :) :up: :up: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

My Review
I never really say anything negative about U2, but for the most part, the DVD was kind of a letdown (It really kills me to say this)
-Bono's voice was fine I thought, although I know a lot of you guys have problems with it here
-I've been to 5 shows this tour so far (All in Boston) and the band played much better during all of them than on the DVD
-Bullet is no bargain here, neither is Love and Peace...a song that I just love...ABOY isn't that great, COBL is very good, but could have been better
-High points: Vertigo-Stories For Boys, Electric Co. (best on the DVD IMO), ACD/Into the Heart, RTSS, SBS, Streets (although it has lost something), Zoo Station, The Fly, 40
-Mysterious Ways, a truly great song IMO, is performed rather badly here
-Poor job on the editing...Slane and Boston were much better...everything is just too quick and jarring (which works for some songs, but not for the majority)
-Overall, it just didn't reach the heights that the Vertigo Tour has reached
-Even still, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it and will watch it over and over; however, it could have been much better

Last edited:
Well ok here's the way I look at it. I think visually it is the best shot for any U2 live video I have ever seen. Sometimes too much movement, but hey I can deal with it.

Have yet to hear the true DTS 5.1 mix so I will wait cause I have only played it in PCM stereo so far, and I will agree that the bass overpowered the drumming at points which takes me back to the Boston DVD.

Now compared to the other live shows on video I have seen, I'd rank it up there, I enjoyed it, what was filmed just showed us where the band was at that time and that's all I wanted.

But I will stand behind it, the Toronto night 1 show easily outweighed this one in terms of quality of a show, that show in terms of the Vertigo tour was simply the most amazing show I have ever seen.

This DVD was definately worth waiting for, and I'll watch it often, but not all the way through, probably just skip to my favorite parts.

I love the video, but I have to agree with those who have criticized the sound quality. Slane and Boston were both significantly better in my opinion.

read some of the reviews above. personally I love it, so far an cat dubh, LAPOE, and NYD are favorites.

can someone answer this for me? why do all concert videos have such frenetic camera switches? just when I am mesmerized by Edge's guitar work BAM camera switch and something different is on screen. Every 2 seconds. Couldn't the director film it (or at least allow me to switch to) one camera view where it would be like seeing the show from the ellipse? Does this bother anyone else? I would love to watch the DVD like I had great seats to the show and if I want to watch Bono I will. If Adam catches my eye I'll watch him. I think the constant switching is distracting and causes us to miss a lot of interesting things.

Back
Top Bottom