MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Val said:
I love the DVd. I agree that the deluxe version is for the die hard fan. I got mine at Best Buy for 22.99.

Also,

What Peter and the Wolf video? I have the book, but a video I'm not aware of. Where can I see it?

Wasn't there a DVD that came with the book? I don't have it, but I'd read a lot about a DVD that came with it, and showed Bono, Jordan and Eve working on the art for the book. Could the DVD be on the same disk as the music CD?

I don't have the book, so I don't know for sure. I'm sorry if I got my facts wrong. Maybe someone else can clear this up. :reject:

Thanks for responding. I wasn"t aware of that as I haven't played the Cd. Can anyone else verify this?

I can sum up what I love about the DVD by repeating one word over and over

Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama! Mama!

theu2fly said:
And oh btw, Streets is probably the best since ZOO TV on this tour.

Really? I thought a lot of people thought the Pride lead-in along with the Africa theme took away from it. Nothing beats Streets from the Boston DVD

Val said:
Thanks for responding. I wasn"t aware of that as I haven't played the Cd. Can anyone else verify this?

The CD that comes with the book includes a short video on the production behind the book (the artwork by Bono and his daughters, Gavin Friday's narration, and the music by Maurice Seezer) when you pop into your CD-ROM. That's what Diane L was referring to - she just confused the CD as a DVD.

I thought they didn't add the Zooropa Baby doing the "mama" thing until Europe. Huh, you learn something new every day!

I don't remember the zooropa babies in early April... then again we didn't have a lot of the graphics that developed on leg 1 of the tour either...

U2fan05 said:

Really? I thought a lot of people thought the Pride lead-in along with the Africa theme took away from it. Nothing beats Streets from the Boston DVD

Musically, the Chicago DVD of Streets is amazing, it's really on all notes. Edge outdoes himself.

I actually think this is the least riveted I have ever felt by a performance of Streets.

I need some RED :angry:

inmyplace13 said:
I actually think this is the least riveted I have ever felt by a performance of Streets.

I need some RED :angry:

Oddly enough, there was a much, much better performance the night before. Sounded better and Bono's voice was much more on (actually a lot more on) than on the 10th.

I'm still trying to figure out how Hamish managed to so thoroughly kill Zoo Station. It's a fantastic live song, but you'd never know it from this DVD.

I SAW THE VH1 DVD SPECIAL AND IT SUCKED BONO SOUNDS LIKE A HORSE!!! HORRIBLE!!! IF THE WHOLE DVD IS LIKE THIS IM GLAD I DID NOT BUY IT YET!! DUH!!!

RELEASE ZOOTV ON DVD AND GET IT OVER WITH!!

PS BONO CANT SING ANYMORE!!!

I like the DVD. It has a better setlist than Elevation Boston and the effects are much more spectacular. Great songs & great voice, perhaps too much close-ups.

However, I have a question about the quality of the images. I get a lot of 'squares' on my screen, I mean, sometimes it seems like this dvd is like a mpeg-cd ripped from dvd... Does anyone else has that problem? It's really annoying from time to time...

I'm still trying to figure out how Hamish managed to so thoroughly kill Zoo Station. It's a fantastic live song, but you'd never know it from this DVD. [/B]

Huh? Zoo Station, especially the intro, is one of the best parts of the dvd, imho...

shaun vox said:
I SAW THE VH1 DVD SPECIAL AND IT SUCKED BONO SOUNDS LIKE A HORSE!!! HORRIBLE!!! IF THE WHOLE DVD IS LIKE THIS IM GLAD I DID NOT BUY IT YET!! DUH!!!

RELEASE ZOOTV ON DVD AND GET IT OVER WITH!!

PS BONO CANT SING ANYMORE!!!

Very insightful. Sober up then try posting again.

IMO, by far the worst of the 3 U2 DVD's--Slane is obviously the gold standard--I own many many concert DVD's, and nothing captures the immediacy of a live concert the way Slane does. I think you really need to compare it to the Boston DVD because Slane is in a class by itself. IMO, the Boston DVD blows this one away.

It is not that it's awful, it's just that IMO there is nothing remarkable about it. Bono's voice isn't quite on. Setlist isn't great. Not one of the songs can be pointed to as a definitive (or close to definitive) verison of that particular song. I would echo what another poster said--Yahweh was my highlight. This DVD underscored for me how underwhelming the 2 1st leg shows I saw in Los Angeles were, although even those shows seemed much better than this.

As a rule U2 always gets better as the tour moves on, and it seems quite evident that this show is lackluster--recently saw both shows on the 3rd leg in Los Angeles (night 2 was one of the best of 25 U2 shows I've seen, and night 1 was also incredible), and the difference between the 1st leg and 3rd leg is night and day. Overall, I am glad I have it, but by U2 standards-this DVD is sub par, and not a great sample of U2 in concert.

I like the camera work on this DVD.

The band is not at their best.

But my main complaint on this DVD is the sound quality. The mix is very bad.

First of all larry's bass drum is somtimes hardly hearable. It is getting lost in the bass. The edge's guitar parts are sometimes way too loud, especially solos. Overall it is a inconsistent mix, some songs do sound ok, but the most are not.

I listen to this on a high quality stero audio system.

bcrt2000 said:
Theres too much compression artifcats on the dark parts of the DVD. Whoever mastered the mpeg2 video didn't know what they were doing. Kinda sucks, because I think it won't look very good on an HDTV.

I can attest to this. I watched the DVD on a 65" HDTV :nerd: and the pixelation was definitely obvious.

I got through the extras DVD but not the main one. Dont much care for the Surveillance portion. Also the video of Sometimes You Cant Make It at the end is pretty weird. Bono singing on top of a recording of Bono.

Slane is still my favorite, but I have to say that Larry's look that he gives Bono when Bono hits his cymbal with the microphone, had me laughing my ass off. That was hilarious :lmao

Slane seems the most heartfelt given all that Bono was going through at the time, but I still enjoyed Vertigo 05 alot. Not many complaints.

Not to beat a dead horse with the negativity but I watched the DVD last night and it was very disappointing. Bono's scratchy voice nearly made me cry and the show was just average. Not at all on the level of the shows I saw (except for maybe opening night San Diego). I was actually bored and didn't get through it. Now that's coming from someone who watches U2 live DVDs over and over and over and can still get chills (as recently as Sunday, in fact) watching ZooTV.

I feel bad for the band, they can't possibly be happy with this DVD, can they? Maybe they should've taken a page out of Wilco's book and scrapped it. Wilco had announced a live DVD was coming out on 11/15 and two weeks ago announced they weren't happy with it and didn't release it. I just don't think this is an accurate reflection of the overall tour (or if it is, I was crazy to see it 4 times) and it's a shame this will be what we have of that tour. They were working their asses off, too, but the show just didn't seem to take off. Edge, though, I have to say, rocks like nobody's business. And props to Best Buy for carrying the deluxe version for $23. :up:

My god I can't believe all these complaints!
The dvd is absolutely awesome in my book. Maybe it's because I was at both shows that were filmed, but the camera work is beautiful and the band has tons of energy.

I also don't hear this scratchy voice everybody keeps talking about. To me it sounds like bono has sounded the last 3 tours. (better than popmart and elevation tours though imo)

I'll post my full review later; I've got kids to teach...today all my students will be watching Electric Co to see if they can spot Mr. K.

I don't hear the scratchy voice either, although in the video for COBL I did hear it.

I love the DVD though, and Im not about to complain whenever we can get a lil piece of the tour to keep with us forever :)

The versions of Zoo TV and The Fly are far superior in sound quality than the versions off the Zoo TV from Sydney which I think was of poor sound quality. Compared to these recordings the Zoo TV Sydney is tinny sounding and lacks power. As I have stated before the Zoo TV sequence and also including One, on the Chicago DVD is the best live footage I have seen in a long time, the songs have REAL power and the intro to Zoo TV is absolute superb. To be honest I can't understand what all the complaints are for. It's a U2 DVD. Its a decent concert. Its what I expected it to be. The Deluxe edition I paid £13.99 and I see that some people paid £21.99 which seems a bit steep.

Anyway mama, mama, MAMA, MAMA, MAMA..........EDGE RIFF!:wink:

haha, as a fellow teacher i would do the same!!!! but alas they didn't film the may 7th show. as for my review.... age is definitely showing on all of them. they still have energy, but bono seems a little stiff up on stage and it looks like they are holding back a little bit. the other shows i saw them (philly 1, nj2, may msg, msg 1 and 2 in oct.) they had a lot more energy and were interacting more with the fans. some people commented months ago that the 4th chicago show was alot more relaxed. yeah, that girl on mysterious ways is the same one that danced for fast cars at msg!!! what's the deal with that? i am a little jealous, but that means its almost premeditated, i personally enjoy spontaneity ( probably spelled that wrong). all in all it sounded better than the first chicago show. i agree with that other thread about hamish, he seemed to want to make it seem overly about the band and not about the experience of seeing the band live and experiencing what it is like to have 20,000 people going crazy. one more thing... alot has been said about bono's voice lacking, it's true, but honestly later on in the tour he sounded so much better than he did on the dvd. at nj2 he hit the high 'wide awake' on bad, at msg 1 and 2 he nailed ms. sarajevo. next time they should hold off filming a dvd until the third leg or at least toward the end of a leg when they are more polished.

norsehorse23 said:
one more thing... alot has been said about bono's voice lacking, it's true, but honestly later on in the tour he sounded so much better than he did on the dvd. at nj2 he hit the high 'wide awake' on bad, at msg 1 and 2 he nailed ms. sarajevo. next time they should hold off filming a dvd until the third leg or at least toward the end of a leg when they are more polished.

he was just off in chicago. beacuse about 10 days ealier in vancouver he was gettin way up there for pride and their 9 minute long bad

Back
Top Bottom