MERGED-->ALL Personal Vertigo DVD Reviews HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did a lot of the May 10th show make the dvd? I had heard that there was quite a bit of May 9th footage on there. Also did they keep the part where the fans are singing happy birthday to Bono during the concert? Man my dvd needs to hurry up and get here! lol.

I have th audience recording of the May 9th show memorized -- it sounded like about 60% - 70% was May 10th. I believe the entire encore (up to 40 of course) was May 10th. The Electric Co is actually a combination of the two nights!!

I Move in Mysterious Ways said:
I have th audience recording of the May 9th show memorized -- it sounded like about 60% - 70% was May 10th. I believe the entire encore (up to 40 of course) was May 10th. The Electric Co is actually a combination of the two nights!!

Oh ok great thank you! :). May 10th was my first ever U2 concert so was hoping that quite a bit of it made the dvd.

:mad:

it sucks we dont get the dvd until this weekend! must coincide with their tour dates annoucement...

all other previous dvd's we got the same time as the rest of the world.

My Chicago DVD Review

COBL- I wasn't too into this song when the album first came out, but now i love it. This song is a brilliant opener and really takes off.

Vertigo- Same old same old

Elevation- I like this tours version of it. Really kicks in good.

Electric Co. - Absolutely amazing shots all throughout this song. This song really kicks ass and im glad they brought it back.

An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart- Ive never accually heard these two songs all the way through, if you can believe that. They are both pretty good.

Beautiful Day- Awesome as always

Miracle Drug- Awesome song, great shots, i love the part where edge sings.

SYCMIOYO- Same as always

LAPOE- I love this song live! Great shots all throughout, and good shots of Bono pounding away on the drums at the end (my favorite part)

SBS- Much better than the elevation version.

Bullet- Excellent! Good close ups of Edge's solo. Not as good as the one i saw live at pittsburgh, but still very good.

RTSS- One of the best on the DVD. Love how they arranged this song for the tour. The thing i like about this DVD is you can accually hear Bono's guitar very clearly. Bono plays a mini guitar solo towards the end! :drool:

Pride- Nothing special

Streets- Miss the traditional red backround, but the song is awesome as always.

One- Almost the same as elevation version with the extended beginning. Bono's guitar is quite audible and the tone is very overdriven/distorted.

Zoo Station- Nice to see this song back in the set. Nicely arranged and good shots.

The Fly- Awesome song! I liked the ZooTV version a lot more than elevation, so im glad they switched it back with some good changes. Bono's guitar is again audible and really adds to the song. I like the custom Line6 guitar Edge uses for the song.

Mysterious Ways- Good as always

All Because of You- Good song, good camera work. I only wish there were 2 guitars live, that would make the song so much better.

OOTS- I love this song. Not a big fan of the piano only version, but nicely done.

Yahweh- I like how they arranged this live. Much beter than the album version.

40- Amazing closer. So glad they brought this back.

Overall the video and audio are totally amazing on this DVD. The camera didn't just stick on Bono like some of the other videos. Also, it didn't switch around real fast from shot to shot, which l like.

I give this DVD a 10/10

bazza said:
:mad:

it sucks we dont get the dvd until this weekend! must coincide with their tour dates annoucement...

all other previous dvd's we got the same time as the rest of the world.

Yeah -- I was hoping my friend in Brisbane could watch it. She's coming to the Portland show. I'm trying to make a U2 fan of her :)

RademR said:
Let's not forget ZOOTV Sydney, it was brilliant, probably the best overall.
Nothing (NOTHING!) will éver beat Zoo-TV Sydney! That show (that tour, that album) was U2 at it's very best... The day that U2 tops Zoo-TV will be the day I eat my shoe :wink:

can someone explain to me what the purpose of the infrared cameras were?

this video is seriously lacking in bonus features.

:wave: hi! i met you at tower records :)

and no i don't know the purpose of the infared cameras either. but at least i made it on the dvd for one second :laugh:

I've only seen portions of it so far. Watched up until 'Into The Heart', where he lays down on the catwalk, and does the ET phone finger thing with a little boy, who he pulls up & sits with, then walks the catwalk. I believe his name was Garrett. Bono says his name is Paul. Elevation - noticed that 'frog in the throat' and something right before that which I thought was a glitch, but perhaps just the filming/editing. Didn't watch that closely for the woohoos. Then, due to my daughter's bedtime, we skipped around. Watched RTSS, The Fly, and Mysterious Ways. Daughter said that Bono did say something about his birthday during that song, maybe right before he pulled Khelia up to dance, and quite well I might add :yes: Have to find time to watch more (instead I read these 9 pages :huh: )

I'm up to 'One' at the moment. I've been enjoying it of course, tho a couple of things didnt really appeal to me. Bono's voice and the so-called 'frog in his throat', surely that bit didnt need to be included? Also, does anyone else think that that young boy was planted there? The whole moment just didnt seem spontaneous to me.

Best moment so far - Bono smacking one of the cymbals during Electric Co. and Larry's shocked and unimpressed look!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:
Bono's voice and the so-called 'frog in his throat', surely that bit didnt need to be included?

Best moment so far - Bono smacking one of the cymbals during Electric Co. and Larry's shocked and unimpressed look!:wink:

It has!! that bit of frog in the throat was hilarious:lol: and it shows authenticity. It makes the dvd look more real. Well, at least to me.

Bono smacking the cymbal was :rockon:

Larry reaction was :rockon: :rockon:

Aardvark747 said:
I'm up to 'One' at the moment. I've been enjoying it of course, tho a couple of things didnt really appeal to me. Bono's voice and the so-called 'frog in his throat', surely that bit didnt need to be included? Also, does anyone else think that that young boy was planted there? The whole moment just didnt seem spontaneous to me.

but peole complaned that other videos and DVDS have been too "polished", so for them to actually include an error like that is great imo

KUEFC09U2 said:
but peole complaned that other videos and DVDS have been too "polished", so for them to actually include an error like that is great imo

why do you always bring up other people complaining, why cant you say something like "i feel the other dvd's have been too polished, so i like seeing an error or two, makes it more real"

who cares about what other people think, just tell us what you think

Chizip said:

why do you always bring up other people complaining, why cant you say something like "i feel the other dvd's have been too polished, so i like seeing an error or two, makes it more real"

well ok, i do feel the other DVDS have neem tpp polished, others i wouldnt have said it,

i was just giving an opinion on why the band might of left the mistakes in, and the people complaning was an example on why the band may have decided to leave them in

Last edited:
Chizip said:

:rockon: funny how NO ONE changes around here....:wink:

I'm getting my copy today I hope...

KUEFC09U2 said:
well ok, i do feel the other DVDS have neem tpp polished, others i wouldnt have said it,

KUEFCO9U2....Are you actually saying U2 did something wrong??! :ohmy:

Maybe I should run for presidency
:wink:

take care

i agree with most of that, but i really prefer the elevation version of SBS

i would agree with all except elevation and pride. i think the 2001's version of elevation is far superior and proved to be a great opener. the vertigo tour version doesn't give the song any justice i feel.

in regards to pride (in the name of love) i give this 10/10 for the performance compared to the slane version. i think the way bono is stood on the spot and dressed in a black suit really gives the song a magical and more formal feel to it, something in which i believe the band would be more suited too. and the crowd chanting at the end, leading into the next song is nothing short of spectacular.

and for added ambience, i thoroughly enjoyed the dvd and was impressed most with running to stand still and yahweh. i agree with vertigo being the 'same old' live. i felt as though it was flat and weak compared to maybe, say the brooklyn bridge video of it and even the 'real' video for the song back in the day.

cheers,
boomchabono

Watched Chicago last night and was pleasantly surprised by the energy and overall quality of the performance of the band (frog included!).
City of Blinding lights is a fantastic opener IMO (much better than Vertigo and LAPOE anyway) and when the woohoos kick in it seems to blow the whole venue away (is it just me, or does the sound seem to kick in a tonne at that point?).
Other notable highlights (Sorry - I suddenly realised I can't be arssed giving a blow by blow account of each of the songs!) are Vertigo, Electric Co (Edge solo :drool: ), LAPOE, BTBS (Clean chilled bluesy guitar works amazingly during the solo) Streets (takes a while to lift off but when it does...:ohmy: ), The fly (actually prefer this to the Boston version :reject: ) and "40" (one of my all time favourite songs).
All in all actually, I think this is FAR superior to Boston and dare I say Slane :reject:. Doesn't quite surpass the genius of Sydney but I'm interested to see how close the Milan performance might get to achieving that :hmm:

'electric co' is FANTASTIC- this may be the highlight of the DVD for me! the band's energy is amazing, and towards the end bono really seems to be on another level... the whole 'still just a rat in a cage' snippet is great, and then he hits the symbol (larry's face is priceless!)- wow! :drool:

i also really like "into the heart"- it's so touching when the little boy first gets onstage, and is just looking at bono in awe. :cute:

need to spend more time watching it, but those are my 2 highlights so far. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just watched the dvd... pretty good, IMO, though i still like the elevation dvd more.

2 observations:

1st, why did they record this only 6 weeks into the tour? i saw them a few weeks ago in boston and the show was a much tighter show. as i was watching the dvd i kept thinking maybe they should have been on the road a few more months to work out the kinks, etc... they just seem more comfortable now having been out on the road for several months.

2nd, bono's "woohoo's" in elevation are definately pre-recorded. about 2 minutes into the song he's doing a series of them and then on the last one he's probably about 5 feet from the mic. maybe the 'standard woohoos' are pre-recorded and he throws in a few of his own here and there?? regardless, i love this version of the song they're doing on this tour.

I think it is great so far except the fact that my DVD has a glitch from SBS to Bullet. It wont play on either DVD player...o well. I have to go back to exchange it sometime this week. Anyone else have this problem?

I just went to get it on my lunch hour and was unsuccessful at THREE stores. :angry:

Borders didn't have any of their new releases out yet (bar for Madonna), Best Buy had it, but the bare bones edition, then Target told me they didn't have it and didn't even know when they were going to get their copies in.

I'm going to the new Target that just opened after work and those morons better have it. :grumpy:

Went this morning to get the deluxe version and came back empty handed (other than 2 single DVD versions for gifts). First Target had no copies of either version. Second Target had three (now one) copies of the single DVD version. Best Buy had some distribution problems and had no copies of either version.

What's going on?

Back
Top Bottom