MERGED--> ALL European Stage, Lighting & Production Discussions + Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MTEdge said:
I haven't read the entire thread (all I did was scan for the awesome stage pics!), but Popmart (6 POP songs, plus virtually all hit songs, including Bad and SBS, which were rotated in by the end of the tour) was a greatest hits tour more so than ZooTV (8-9 AB with 4 Zooropa songs rotated in towards the end of the tour).

I think you missed the point though. The non new album songs that WERE done on Zoo were nothing out of the ordinary at all. No one said Popmart wasnt the same way, we are talking about when what older tunes were chosen for the tours. In that regard Zoo is no better than any other tour.

Also the Zooropa songs is a stretch. Most of them were not done until the final very short Australian/New Zealand/Japanese leg. Certainly not done enough to count as something that was prevelant on the tour.

Also, on Popmart, most nights they played 7 songs on average from the POP album. So not drastically less than new tunes done on Zoo.

Last edited:
I'm going to the show in Brussels next Friday. It looks amazing. Can't wait! The Belgians will give U2 a very warm welcome, I can assure you...

Re: Re: Re: european elipse???

KUEFC09U2 said:
well according to willie (snigger i said willie), the b stages will be put in tomorrow

yeah - I would be very interested to see how these are incorporated.

I think the side shots of the stage are great and it looks like the slats contain the LEDs so it looks like a "wrap-around" screen. Kind of like a curved Popmart screen. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong (so far) about the re-use of the light curtain, but the ellipse seems to be there albeit a different form...

Re: Re: Re: Re: european elipse???

ouizy said:

yeah - I would be very interested to see how these are incorporated.

I think the side shots of the stage are great and it looks like the slats contain the LEDs so it looks like a "wrap-around" screen. Kind of like a curved Popmart screen. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong (so far) about the re-use of the light curtain, but the ellipse seems to be there albeit a different form...

willie also said this in his diary

Today was also a \'pack up\' day of course, as the European show will be very different to this indoor system. Much of the gear we have here won\'t see the light of day again till the Fall leg, so everything has to be labeled to make sure it goes on the correct truck at load out tonight.

so it looks like there is a bit of stuff that will just be used for the north american legs

interesting - and to me - very surprising.

After my own review of MSG, I would have to say that is VERY good news for Europe. I think they will see a fantastic show that hopefully outshines the US.

On that note, I, of course, hope the band then brings the outdoor show to the US...

Blue Room said:

When did they play 12 AB songs at ANY Zoo show? That would be the whole album, never happened. They played on average about 8 or 9 AB songs per show on Zoo. A little higher than average for new material for most tours, but not drastically more.

You are misquoting what was asked of Bono in your above example. MTV (not CNN) asked him why they didnt play any songs that were prior to Unf. Fire (this was after the first show in Lakeland also). Bono said they didnt feel like it. Then said we may lose a few of the Pop kids as a result, but we dont need them. Later in the tour they added NY DAy and SBS. Axver is sort of right, you look at the non AB songs that were done on Zoo and there was nothing out of the ordinary really. Whereas this tour is seeing a few non single older tunes being done.

You misunderstood me. Average of 10 "OUT" of12 songs from the album AB. As for the qoute it was nonverbatim. I remember hearing it more than 10 years ago. But my point was the same. In fact looking back at setlist. Ist and 2nd leg they played9 -10 The 3rd-5th leg they played 8-10 When they In Itlay 5/22 They played part of "So cruel" So that would be 10.25 from AB:laugh:

If you want to count snippets and songs that were barely done, then you are right. I dont count them though when you are looking at it from a whole tour average. :shrug: Ever take Statistics?? :laugh:

Anyway, I still dont see what your point is? Fact of the matter is the variety on Zoo wasnt much different than Popmart at all.

i took statistics but we never went over how to average song snippets over the course of a tour :(

MTEdge said:
I haven't read the entire thread (all I did was scan for the awesome stage pics!), but Popmart (6 POP songs, plus virtually all hit songs, including Bad and SBS, which were rotated in by the end of the tour) was a greatest hits tour more so than ZooTV (8-9 AB with 4 Zooropa songs rotated in towards the end of the tour).

ZooTV and Popmart were both, in my opinion, tours that featured little besides new material and hits. ZooTV saw roughly 10 Achtung Baby songs, 9 after Wild Horses was dropped, then the count bounced around with the introduction of Zooropa songs. The old songs played were generally just the popular material such as Streets and Desire. Popmart was pretty similar. I won't really argue which was more 'hits' as I think it's a much of a muchness.

For the record, Bad wasn't really rotated in on Popmart; it appeared at very few shows.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been asked yet, but will they be making a European U2 DVD? They did it for Elevation, sooo...maybe for this tour too? Looking at the stage set-up and the new "accoustic" set that they'll be adding, I'd much rather have one from the European leg than from the American one... :drool:

Chizip said:
i took statistics but we never went over how to average song snippets over the course of a tour :(

Gee, you think?? :laugh:

The point is (even though I wasnt even speaking to you), its all about highest averages, I dont think it takes a rocket scientist to figure that out. (or maybe it does for a few of you! :lol: ) Counting songs that were only done a few times or only snippeted for an entire tour and using that data to extrapulate that they were the standard average and not using that same criteria to compare to the other tours doesnt make alot of sense. If you use the same criteria, the Popmart tour is in line with Zoo TV.

Last edited:
Blue Room said:
If you want to count snippets and songs that were barely done, then you are right. I dont count them though when you are looking at it from a whole tour average. :shrug: Ever take Statistics?? :laugh:

Anyway, I still dont see what your point is? Fact of the matter is the variety on Zoo wasnt much different than Popmart at all.

Yea actually I did take stats. Only got B+ though. As for snippets, that's why I only gave it .25308978392093.:giggle: Thats why that concert was definetly on the rights side, above the median ,of the bell shaped curve last 5%.:hmm:

Anyways my point was I didn't feel Zootv was thier greatest hits tour. :wink:

Looks like they've been testing out the screen tonight... check out u2achtung.com ....

The bass player you heard would be Stuart Morgan, Adam's bass tech. If you look at the pictures of the stage the bass and guitar rigs are already in place. I've been lucky to have heard Stuart play Streets and Bad on guitar during a tour we did together last year. The screens will be as bright as the pictures make out. ZOO TV was 12 years ago and the Barco screens that were used then are probably only about 25% as bright as the new LED screens. The PA is still the same as the one used on ZOO TV and Popmart. Guess Joe still trusts the Clair Bros S4 system.

Jim said:
Looks like they've been testing out the screen tonight... check out u2achtung.com ....

HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drool: :):heart: :happy: :hyper:

That looks unreal. I'm seriously having to try and contain myself over here in cubical land. Some of that imagery looks like stuff from the Electrical Storm video??

Best leg ever!!!!!!!!

img_1955.jpg

img_1959.jpg

img_1960.jpg

img_1964.jpg

img_1966.jpg

img_1969.jpg

img_1971.jpg

img_1975.jpg

I'm wondering what the black shadows are :huh:

Looks like stairs to me! But that would mean that these photo's are just of a small part of the screen...

yeah could mean the red backdrop intro for streets with the big lights hitting in! hope they bring this back for streets! i feel it lost a little bit from leg 1 versions of the song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom