MERGED--> ALL European Stage, Lighting & Production Discussions + Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there will be catwalks, but they wont be put in until the very last moment,

they look to be testing the screens and the installation of catwalks now would just interfere with the tests

i suppose the grass has to be covered before the catwalks are in place and they won't want the grass covered for lots of days will they!

I'm liking the look of that. That screen is going to be amazing. Throw in the catwalks and this will be one incredible show. Roll on June 18th!!

Have a close look at the photo showing a straight on vew of the stage. Yo will see a raised portion of walkway behind the drum area,also two ramps leading down to the main stage.

this has to be the rear part of the elipse, the front portion will be surely be added when everything else is assembled and tested

Looks awesome!!

They can have all the bells & whistles however the music is the bedrock. Given the bands age and the way they play live songs these days and from this era and of course the theme. It wont be ZOO TV or POPMART.

Last edited:
Enkryption said:
They can have all the bells & whistles however the music is the bedrock. Given the bands age and the way they play live songs these days and from this era and of course the theme. It wont be ZOO TV or POPMART.

Why does it have to be? It's a new tour and will have it's own merits, highs and most crucially new songs. As incredible as Zoo TV and Popmart were, this is different and by all accounts, Bono's voice is as good as it has been for years and the band are at the top of their game. I personally think it will be nothing short of spectacular.

It will be spectacular of course. However I'd thought i'd make that point before all the comparisons start. The show will just be a show (band playing, fancy stage) Not the band playing moulded into a theme with the audience along for the ride. These days its sort of like a Greatest hits tour with new songs as a bonus. And yes will have its own merits and highs. Depends own ones perception of course.

Of course what works for one doesn't work for another. If you go in with the preconception that it's not going to be as good as Zoo TV ot PopMart, you will more than likely come away disappointed. If you go in with no huge expectations you'll enjoy it immensley.

Enkryption said:
It will be spectacular of course. However I'd thought i'd make that point before all the comparisons start. The show will just be a show (band playing, fancy stage) Not the band playing moulded into a theme with the audience along for the ride. These days its sort of like a Greatest hits tour with new songs as a bonus. And yes will have its own merits and highs. Depends own ones perception of course.
whats your basis on calling this a greatest hits tour?

this setlist has possibly the least greatest hits since Zoo

Sort of like a greatest hits tour the atmosphere. It has alot to do with U2 being the veterens these days. There is nothing wrong with that. They arent young anymore.

Enkryption said:
Sort of like a greatest hits tour the atmosphere. It has alot to do with U2 being the veterens these days. There is nothing wrong with that. They arent young anymore.
but that dosent make it a greatest hits tour? a greatest hits tour is if they were to throw in all the greatest hits, without playing the likes of electric co, an cat dubh, glora, the ocean, 40, etc

andyuk said:
do you think there will be catwalks? or b stage? cus there seems to be a barrier already put up in front of stage!

Direct from Willies diary (u2.com)

The last part of the back wall and the b-stage set up aren\'t due till Tuesday, so, as ever, patience will be a key requirement for those of us up the sharp end of the work force.

So there will definately be a b-stage!

I am very jealous of the folks going to the shows in Europe - it looks great so far.

If you look carefully the two arc'ed pieces coming out from the center stage are actually the pieces of the ellipse from the indoor shows. If you were to flip the sides of the arcs you will see how they formed the sides of the ellipse in the US.

I am curious to see what the B-Stage will look like.

Aside from that - it looks to be a hugely loud show.

It is SO a greatest hits show. They play:

I Still Haven't Found...
I Will Follow
Even Better than the Real Thing
With or Without You
Angel of Harlem
Desire

at every show!

tkramer said:

I Still Haven't Found...
I Will Follow
With or Without You
Angel of Harlem
Desire

at every show!

What does that have to do with the stage setup ???? :huh: :huh:

BTW, I'm really fed up with that discussion, we could have that every tour.... You'll never please everyone!!!!!

Now could we please switch the on-topic mode back on???

:hyper: Only 37 days till I see the stage in real life! :hyper:

tkramer said:

I Still Haven't Found...
I Will Follow
With or Without You
Angel of Harlem
Desire

at every show!

Yeah. And they played those songs frequently during Zoo TV, Pop Mart, and Elevation. Were those greatest hits tours too? :hmm:

:eyebrow:

people, i think tkramer was being sarcastic since they havent been playing those songs at every show

Chizip said:
people, i think tkramer was being sarcastic since they havent been playing those songs at every show

Blah, I thought that was Enkryption posting again. :banghead: Forgive me, I have a bad case of the common cold. :wink:

KUEFC09U2 said:
whats your basis on calling this a greatest hits tour?

this setlist has possibly the least greatest hits since Zoo

Zoo was probably the MOST greatest hits tour U2 has ever done - a stack of new songs mixed with the old classics. It's not as if they were playing The Electric Co. or An Cat Dubh.

european elipse???

just looked at the stage pics and if you look closely you can see the rear of the elipse, and the two things sticking out at the front seem to join together and will be put in place once they have removed the grass?????

anyone else think this?

Axver said:

Zoo was probably the MOST greatest hits tour U2 has ever done - a stack of new songs mixed with the old classics. It's not as if they were playing The Electric Co. or An Cat Dubh.

You really think so? They average about 10out12 songs from the Achtung baby.hmm I remember CNN asking yer bonoman why don't they play a lot of the old stuff. He responded in his Fly character and said "...a lot of pop kids don't like Achtung baby, they want JT. If don't like it. We don't need them." :giggle:

scout13 said:

You really think so? They average about 10out12 songs from the Achtung baby.hmm I remember CNN asking yer bonoman why don't they play a lot of the old stuff. He responded in his Fly character and said "...a lot of pop kids don't like Achtung baby, they want JT. If don't like it. We don't need them." :giggle:

When did they play 12 AB songs at ANY Zoo show? That would be the whole album, never happened. They played on average about 8 or 9 AB songs per show on Zoo. A little higher than average for new material for most tours, but not drastically more.

You are misquoting what was asked of Bono in your above example. MTV (not CNN) asked him why they didnt play any songs that were prior to Unf. Fire (this was after the first show in Lakeland also). Bono said they didnt feel like it. Then said we may lose a few of the Pop kids as a result, but we dont need them. Later in the tour they added NY DAy and SBS. Axver is sort of right, you look at the non AB songs that were done on Zoo and there was nothing out of the ordinary really. Whereas this tour is seeing a few non single older tunes being done.

Last edited:
Re: european elipse???

bono185 said:
just looked at the stage pics and if you look closely you can see the rear of the elipse, and the two things sticking out at the front seem to join together and will be put in place once they have removed the grass?????

anyone else think this?

In my opinion I think the two things sticking out ARE the front of the ellipse. Either they are going to stay where they are, or they will be moved into "Ellipse Position." If you look closely enough they are the exact same shape, size, and slope as the indoor show. If you look even closer you will see the LED's embedded in the floor.

If you look at a pic like this:

27767U2_002-med.jpg

and compare it to:

leheLSNYI1D05062005124854259252.jpg

You will see that Willie smartly has taken the ellipse, cut it in half, switched the sides and attached it to the stage.

Last edited:
I haven't read the entire thread (all I did was scan for the awesome stage pics!), but Popmart (6 POP songs, plus virtually all hit songs, including Bad and SBS, which were rotated in by the end of the tour) was a greatest hits tour more so than ZooTV (8-9 AB with 4 Zooropa songs rotated in towards the end of the tour).

Re: Re: european elipse???

ouizy said:

In my opinion I think the two things sticking out ARE the front of the ellipse. Either they are going to stay where they are, or they will be moved into "Ellipse Position." If you look closely enough they are the exact same shape, size, and slope as the indoor show. If you look even closer you will see the LED's embedded in the floor.

If you look at a pic like this:

27767U2_002-med.jpg

and compare it to:

leheLSNYI1D05062005124854259252.jpg

You will see that Willie smartly has taken the ellipse, cut it in half, switched the sides and attached it to the stage.
well according to willie (snigger i said willie), the b stages will be put in tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom