MERGED --> ALL Concert Photography/Cameras Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beatlesboy

War Child
Chicago, IL (In the kingdom of South Suburbia!)
"no Cameras/ Recorders"

Just got my Chicago tix and noticed that this time "NO CAMERAS/ RECORDERS" is printed on them, unlike last tour where nothing like this appeared on any of my tickets. I took some great GA pics last time and from from what I understand fan photos were not frowned upon at any of the shows. Do ya' think they changed their minds about the pics???

always says that, its B.S..
you're not supposed to have them, but you can sneak them in. I went to baltimore 10-19-01 after 9/11 and i put a smaller camerica in my side pocket and the security gaurd who searched me felt right around it. He knew it was a camera.

I went to a concert recently with metal detectors, not just wanding you, and I had my digital camera in my pocket, and it set off the metal detectors, of course, and the guy said "is that your cell phone?" and of course I said "yes" and he said that's ok then go ahead. Other times I tell them it's my binoculars. Just make sure to go in through guys that look nice, not people who look like they are off duty cops.

anyone have experience with those binocular/digital camera combos? I'm considering them

i have every intention of taking a small digital camera in. so is it better to hide it (you know, stuff it down my shirt or something :wink: ) or just put it in my pocket where it's obvious, and hope they don't care?

I've often taken more than one camera to a show...one of them I plan on keeping totally blank. That way if 'someone' sees me and tells me to hand it over I give 'em the blank one. Aren't I a stinker? Usually it's not a problem though.

starsgoblue said:
I sat down today and calculated how much I have spent on U2 stuff these past 4 months and how much I plan on spending these next 4 with travel, tickets and everything else.....I nearly passed out.

where u headed and where u coming from? I might be able to get you some deals (work for an airline)

U2Girl1978 said:
I plan on buying a skinny dig cam. I have a big digicam and I don't want it taken away! :huh:

I'm going to be so po' in the comin months... :lol:

Your skinny digital cam will probably still set off any metal detectors. :eyebrow:

I would love to bring my digital camera but I would hate to have it taken it away also....I've already paid enough for the tickets!!
I assume most of these venues don't have a means for holding items until you leave.

I'm thinking that I will try a disposable camera for this first leg show in Chicago and see what happens. I think disposable zoom cameras exist and possibly even disposable digital cameras...I'll have to do some research....anyone know??

I think I'd prefer to just enjoy the show and not worry about taking pictures. I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures (and maybe even videos :wink:) taken by other fans and made available on this beautiful thing we call the internet (specifically blue crack).

my fear is that they'll be paying special attention to digicams because most of them now have video recording options. mine does. and i assume they'd have way more of a problem with people recording video than still photos...

i love the two camera idea. i might have to do the same.

I want to know about a minidisc recorder and recording the show, anybody do it the last time?

Were cameras allowed at elevation in chicago last time, anyone know?

They were all over the place in Atlanta.

starsgoblue said:
I've often taken more than one camera to a show...one of them I plan on keeping totally blank. That way if 'someone' sees me and tells me to hand it over I give 'em the blank one. Aren't I a stinker? Usually it's not a problem though.

Great idea!! :) :up:

hef4u2 said:
Were cameras allowed at elevation in chicago last time, anyone know?

Yep, I brought one in in full view for each show and took pics from the rail in front of the stage. Security and crew couldn't have cared less... I had noticed my tix for this tour did say NO CAMERAS/RECORDERS on them and none of my stubs from the last tour had that printed on them. I was just wondering if they were cracking down on that now. I mean the way they're throwing a fit about people posting guitar tabs and lyrics on websites and all. Who knows?...

BTW If I remember correctly from the last tour I nor anyone else was searched in Chicago whatsoever, no metal detectors, pat-downs, nothing... Which was REALLY strange because this was just a few weeks after 9/11. Go figure...

Last edited:
If they are saying no cameras, what about mobile phones with the capability to take photos?

Hmm, do those disposable cameras set off metal detectors?

Considering how many people have camera phones now, hard to say if security will consider those as not being allowed.

Some venues don't allow cameras, but they just mean professional cameras, like the kind the press have.

Most of the concerts I went to last year said the same thing, no cameras. The way to do it is keep it hidden until U2 hits the stage. Once the band is on stage they arent going to say anything.

The worst that happened to me was I waws taking pictures of the opening act and the security girl just asked me to put away the camera.

I'll be trying to get this camera in. . .

Have to figure out a good smuggle spot - hopefully my girlfriend will help! :wink:

Attachments

• camerasmuggling.jpg
    camerasmuggling.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 126
I took a rather large digital camera with me to the Elevation tour at MSG - mind you this was a little more than a month after 9/11. The tickets then also said "no cameras," but it wasn't being enforced. Mind you, there will surely be a venue or a security person who will strictly enforce the "no camera" rule. I guess when the tour starts up we'll find out more after the first few dates.

The one thing I'm dreading is being in GA and instead of seeing the boys perform, I'll be looking at the back of a thousand hands holding camera phones. I noticed that at the Brooklyn free concert...I find it obnoxious.

lol that is BS, I'm planning on bootlegging the opening night when I go there and I'm planning on taking some pics.

I know someone on Wire who says he has taped more than 200 shows in various venues SINCE 9/11 with no problem.:ohmy:

I believe he's based in CA BTW. Too bad he's not in NY! I will defenitely keep him on my mail list!:wink:

I took a camera to every Elevation show in Chicago. The first night I had it stuffed in my shirt, then I overheard security say disposable cameras and small 35 mm (not professional) were acceptable. The first two shows, I had a disposable. The last shows in Chicago and St Louis I took my small 35mm camera, in its case and they just looked in the case, saw the camera and not another word. :laugh: :up:
Works for me! I'm hoping it will be the same this time around as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom