MERGED: About 30+ fans camping out! +No GA lottery + lottery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can see some freak buying several GA's to the same show and standing there having each one of the tickets scanned until the "Ellipse" buzzer goes off.

tkramer said:

That's because it is. This is the worst idea I've ever heard of for a concert...

No, I think Spinal Tap's mini Stone Henge was the worst idea ever.

who else agrees on just having first come first serve? it's only fair. You wait, you get in, you sacrifice your day in new york, like i am, then i should at least get where i wanna be for the concert. Or i could show up later and sacrifice a slightly less good spot! Big deal!! I'm still seeing U2...

So i think the first come first serve of last tour worked fine!
:wink:

innocent_eyes said:
who else agrees on just having first come first serve? it's only fair. You wait, you get in, you sacrifice your day in new york, like i am, then i should at least get where i wanna be for the concert. Or i could show up later and sacrifice a slightly less good spot! Big deal!! I'm still seeing U2...

So i think the first come first serve of last tour worked fine!
:wink:

Only thing about the first come, first serve idea (which I am 150% for) is that at every venue theres some idiot fan (typically some bimbo) who decides to bring a clipboard and act as the herder of fans only to have the list topped off with the names of her friends and then shouting matches ensue when they try to clear the line for their out of town friends.

bonosleftone said:

Only thing about the first come, first serve idea (which I am 150% for) is that at every venue theres some idiot fan (typically some bimbo) who decides to bring a clipboard and act as the herder of fans only to have the list topped off with the names of her friends and then shouting matches ensue when they try to clear the line for their out of town friends.

Roger that! ^^^^

The lines worked fine at the shows I went to the last time. :shrug:

OK, so what about this "the band doesn't want to see the same faces every night"? How do they know that these people didn't get all their tickets in the presales and will now be in the ellipse each night?

This entire system is screwy, if you ask me. :down:

First, I want to start by saying what a HUGE mistake it was to just get rid of Propaganda. If they had wanted to use this sort of preferential method, they should have limited it to former Propaganda members. Once they opened it up to anybody, it was bound for disaster.

The lousy thing is that there were so many scalpers who screwed up the initial "presale" process in the first place, that it actually gives those people who bought their tickets on EBay from those sellers, a huge advantage, since many of the initial overpriced tickets were Fan Club tickets. So in some way it does actually reward those who were quick to buy "fan club" Floor tickets on EBay, which were more likely to be from U2.Com.

Man I remember at Notre Dame in 2001, there was this bitch trying to do that and we treated her like pond scum because she deserved it. My friend asked her if the venue or U2 gave her a position and she said no she was doing it for the fans. He laughed at her and said if anyone tried to get in front of us from her list, they'd get their teeth put down their throat.

She gave it up after about an hour. She even complained to security that no one was listening to her lmao.

:laugh: Too funny. Everyone's reaction that is, particularly with the dearth of information. I'm as anxious as the rest of you, but unless your going to a concert this week, you can afford to watch and wait.

A few thoughts and observations...

I think this separation of U2.com and other GA tickets is great! People complained about not getting GA tickets as a U2.com member and when they finally delivered for the 3rd leg, they didn't stop there, they have now allowed you preferential lines to get closer to the band. How cool is that? I just have to :applaud: for Larry Mullen Jr. :applaud: I feel for those who traded away their pre-sale GA's but that's not the band's fault. They are trying to do the most possible good with this scenario. Any more than this would be tough too tough to manage.

2nd thought: You won't be separated from your family. No one is going to force you into the Ellipse (EGG), you can hang back and wait until you are allowed to get in. The ellipse is special privilege not a mandatory seating area. (I'm speculating based on the Elevation tour) Plenty of people eschewed the Heart to be on the tip of the heart instead. Wrist band or not.

Lastly, I wonder if U2 have hired someone to administer the GA line for the entire tour. It sounds like a good idea given the amount of anxiety that surrounds the GA line on the day of the event. And it would be helpful to have someone keep the peace and discourage line jumpers.

If they don't have a professional, it's going to be just like last time with fan line management which is fine by me, as long as I'm not first in line! :D

bonosleftone said:

Only thing about the first come, first serve idea (which I am 150% for) is that at every venue theres some idiot fan (typically some bimbo)

Oh, nice. I only experienced GA in Chicago last time around, but the "fan herder" (male at my show, by the way) concept worked really well there, it let people relax and walk around without worrying about someone stealing their spot, etc. Whatever, it's pointless to rehash. I'm also in favor of first come, first serve, but it looks like that won't be happening.

I'm also really sad about the prospect of being separated from the people I came with (more than two people for a couple of shows.) But we've already talked about it, and there's no law that says you have to go into the ellipse if your tickets beeps. If we want to stay together and not enough people beep, we'll all stay outside. Oh well.

Similarly, if not everyone has the same type of ticket (presale or general sale) I'll bet U2.com people can line up in the regular line if they want to do so. It's a shame that means automatically letting a bunch of people in first, but hey, you could still beep for the ellipse.

:|

Jesus no one even knows for sure whether or not the U2.com people will have first access to the ellipse or what not. Especially when not every show was presold. Instead of speculating lets chill and see what happens after the doors open so not to get some of the wackjobs that populate this board freaking out that they have no chance at getting inside the thing.

It could very well be that the randomness not just takes Fan club members but regular GA'ers as well. The two line system is very across the board, a lot of times a presale ticket will have an entirely different code on there and they need to have seperate lines with a different bar code reader on there.

Nothing, no one has made anything concrete about only fan club members getting inside the damn thing.

I'm assuming everyone has an equal shot at the ellipse. Otherwise, if they only made 400 or so GA tickets available for the presales, and 400 people fit in the ellipse ... what would be the point of "random" tickets? That said, if they U2.com line is let in first, then the people who do beep for the ellipse will, in fact, have first access to the ellipse.

I know we'll know for sure in mere hours, yet I can't stop speculating...

Well it does seem like the biggest problem here is that no one wants to be separated from their friends. Surely U2 understands this ? I guess we'll know more after the show or maybe a few shows.

Skywalker said:
Well it does seem like the biggest problem here is that no one wants to be separated from their friends. Surely U2 understands this ? I guess we'll know more after the show or maybe a few shows.

i think it's a nice gesture that they're at least giving us the option. for those that are going with a group...i'm sure it sucks, but what can you do? if the group being together was the major priority, reserved seating was avail. at every show.

And keep this in mind, these San Diego fans are the guinea pigs for the whole system, if it goes bad or doesnt work out well, it sucks from their perspective but I'd be willing to bet the kinks will be worked out after a few shows.

I was one of the few who was actually glad my show(s) were moved from the beginning of the tour to near the end of the 1st leg.

Everything in this industry is trial and error, especially when new systems are initiated.

I'm sure it's by keychain, unless you need your id and password :wink:
Actually, I hope it is id and password, but I doubt it's that complicated.... hehe concidering the nature of the GA system, maybe complicated is the theme of the tour.
I don't care, I just can't wait for them to get to Chicago! :hyper:

Chrisedge said:
How did they determine if you are a u2.com member?

Probably by the bar code. You cant base it on there being the word "Fan" on your tickets as not every venue that was presold put it on there.

I got GAs in the first Philly presale and it doesnt say anything on there in terms of fan or presale or anything. Its just a GA ticket. I'm thinking maybe the GA0 (one of my other tickets from the same show nonpresale says GA6) may be the indicator. Don't know. The only difference between my presale GA's and nonpresales are the # after the GA indicator.

I think that the first come, first in line theory works if you don't have a fan club.

People have choices.

People choose to buy or not buy a U2.com membership.

People choose to use or not use a pre-sale code for a given show.

People choose to trade or sell tickets bought in the pre-sale.

People choose to line up at 5:00 a.m.

People choose to go into the "ellipse" if given the opportunity.

The band can only do so much. The fan club members have been given a slight advantage over the other fans. What people choose to do with that advantage is not within the bands control.

U2 have made it clear that they are going to help fan club members in certain ways. Prop members, U2.com members alike. This applies to pre-sale shows only. Those fans that did not join the fan club have equal access on other nights.

U2 can only do so much. They are trying to be fair to everyone. They cannot be made responsible for your actions once you have your ticket.

The unfortunate thing for people in SD is that those going to the opener are only learning about this policy today. Every show from here on out will have a clear approach to GA tickets.

I like the semi-lottery system they seem to be implementing. If you want to Queue, you can still do so and get a great spot on the outside. Those fans who spent a lot of time along the tip of the heart last tour will tell you, those spots were the best in the house.

The lottery for the "egg" or "oval" (ugh) gives some more people a shot at a fabulous view. So what - maybe they're not diehards. But maybe they will be after the show. Just relax, people.

Shono said:
I think that the first come, first in line theory works if you don't have a fan club.

People have choices.

People choose to buy or not buy a U2.com membership.

People choose to use or not use a pre-sale code for a given show.

People choose to trade or sell tickets bought in the pre-sale.

People choose to line up at 5:00 a.m.

People choose to go into the "ellipse" if given the opportunity.

The band can only do so much. The fan club members have been given a slight advantage over the other fans. What people choose to do with that advantage is not within the bands control.

U2 have made it clear that they are going to help fan club members in certain ways. Prop members, U2.com members alike. This applies to pre-sale shows only. Those fans that did not join the fan club have equal access on other nights.

U2 can only do so much. They are trying to be fair to everyone. They cannot be made responsible for your actions once you have your ticket.

The unfortunate thing for people in SD is that those going to the opener are only learning about this policy today. Every show from here on out will have a clear approach to GA tickets.

Im not dismaying your statements but as a fan club member, its not even set in stone that only U2.com members are going to have access to the ellipse.

The only thing thats known for sure is that theres two different lines and a beep that tells you if you're in the ellipse or not. The two line system is SOP for shows with fan club ticketing as the barcodes are usually very different and they need two different scanners. Whether its completely random or if they let all U2.com members into the ellipse first, is unknown at this point.

That said, we'll know more in about 12 hours when we hear from people bitching or applauding the system.

SoCalMusicLover said:

Let's clear something up. @U2 was wrong about the whole wristband thing in the first place. From their supposed "contact" who had an All Access badge.

I would not necessarily rely on what they say at this point.

But they were right on the major thing, the lottery. Some of you here were saying it was BS and there was no way. There are wristbands, it just doesnt appear they are being used to line people up with. Sounds to me like there is a lottery regardless of which line you are in. Neither guarantees access to the oval/elipse. No reason to camp out if this is the case either way.

bonosleftone said:

Probably by the bar code. You cant base it on there being the word "Fan" on your tickets as not every venue that was presold put it on there.

I got GAs in the first Philly presale and it doesnt say anything on there in terms of fan or presale or anything. Its just a GA ticket. I'm thinking maybe the GA0 (one of my other tickets from the same show nonpresale says GA6) may be the indicator. Don't know. The only difference between my presale GA's and nonpresales are the # after the GA indicator.

i agree: it's likely the barcode. the GA0, GA6, etc... is based on the system that they use to sell reserved floor seats at shows. they're (i think) just using this system as a way to keep track of how many GA tix are sold, and nothing more.

the latest form a t u 2.com

NEW @U2 LIVE FROM SAN DIEGO...
March 28, 2005
posted by: m2
Official word on GA lineups

We've received official confirmation from U2's publicity staff on the procedure being used for the GA lineups:

"There are 2 lines: one for U2.com, one for the others. The U2.com line will be allowed in first, tickets scanned, and random selection will determine if the ticket holder gets into the ellipse or not.

Fan club members will be allowed the first entrance into the arena.

Once the fan club line has been exhausted, the other GA line will go through the same process."

Back
Top Bottom