MERGED-->26 cameras in Milan, says U2 crew + Pictures from Milan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Spain said:
I guess is wider because it's in a different position. The stage is on the side of the stadium and not in the bottom as usual.

But I'd still like to see some pics :wink:

I don't get the argument for placing the stage here that Willie has posed in his diary (I think it was here). The field isn't practically square, and not both short sides only have two sections, vertically. Not as far as I can tell from the pictures of the stadium I've seen (and from all the soccer matches I have seen played in that great stadium :drool:).

Last edited:
Frankly, apart from the visuals the setlists will probably be 90% the same - so I dont see the point at all. Maybe just release the Chicago show and have the stadium backdrops as a bonus feature. I think Kylie's Fever DVD did that.

Either way, if they release another Boston Elevation pack - meh. $60AU is too bloody much.

Interesting article today on U2.com about the shoot:

milan_stage.jpg

'Italian Job'

Italian fans get to be part of a film shoot at the San Siro in Milan tonight and tomorrow.

Director Hamish Hamilton, who shot the live DVD releases from Boston and Slane Castle on the Elevation tour, is back with the band in Milan tonight.

Hamilton, working with U2's longtime video producer Ned O'Hanlon, will be shooting both shows in Milan for a future DVD release. (He also directed the film shoot in Chicago earlier on this tour. No information on release plans as yet.)

'One of the main reasons for coming to Milan is the Italian audience,' O'Hanlon told U2.Com. 'Italian U2 fans are among the noisiest and most passionate U2 fans anywhere in the world. We're expecting that they'll lift the roof of the stadium tonight!'

And then there's the stadium itself: 'The San Siro is an incredible place, it's just so dramatic from a filming point of view.'

U2's Show Designer Willie Williams has been recording the preparations for the video shoot in his U2.Com Road Journals over the last few days.

'We got cameras up and running and as evening came we began to see how the camera pictures were looking,' he writes in last night's extract. 'The roof of the building is a massive steel construction that looks like an extension of our steel back wall video screen. When the big lights came on it looked like the missing scene from Alien Resurrection. One small element in particular is going to give the video pictures a really special feel..

Funny, Willie's Diary was updated but he seemed to skipped over Amsterdam altogether. Did Amsterdam really happen?:huh:

Last edited:
ramblin rose said:
Funny, Willie's Diary was updated but he seemed to skipped over Amsterdam altogether. Did Amsterdam really happen?:huh:

Indeed :huh:

Since the entry of the 18th is titled Londeon To Milan, I guess he was in London during the week. Too bad he missed the Amsterdam party (and Zurich).

BTW, this is also an interesting remark:
I spent a while building a new video sequence for Miracle Drug which I was very happy with. I felt like that song was (visually) never quite finished in the outdoor show, until now.

I found somemore info about the orchestra in a link from the wonderful U2achtung.com, but it's in Italian...

http://www.rockol.it/news.php?idnews=72531

Here's the freetranslation.com translation...

San Siro, a DVD and an Italian orchestra for the U2

The U2 are about to disembark in Italy, and forecast several surprises for the Italian fan that await the group in the milanese dates of San Siro (20 and 21 July) and Rome (23 July). The before it is a news that moved about unofficial in net in the past days, and was confirmed today from the Universal: the two milanese dates will be filmed from 26 videocameras, driven from Ned OR hanlon and Hamish Hamilton, respectively already producer and producer of the DVD cited to “How to dismantle an atomic bomb” and of the live to the Slane Castle of Dublin turned during the previous tour; destination. Besides San Siro already you were taken again the dates of Chicago and Dublin. “The motive for that we film to Milan is triple”, explained today Jake Berry – director of production of the tour - to the journalists carried to approve the preparation of the gigantic platform: “first, there are two concerts in the same place; second, this stadium is one of the most attractive of the world; third, obviously the Italian public is between the warmest. We hope that these three things moved together allow some special renewals”. To give back even more special the concert were increased the dimensions of the platform, extended from 68 meters to 90, and the illumination. But, above all, the U2 would have convened to the last moment for the milanese date an Italian section of archi, proveniente from the Symphonic orchestra of the theater Carlo Pot of Novara. With the 20 elements the U2 should experience tomorrow to the soundcheck “Original of the species”, piece of the last disk having actual the arcs in the original version. Today it was announced from the promoter Clear Channel the sale of another thousand of cards, possible revenue from the completion of the intense activities of preparation of the platform, that has liberating two areas until now forbidden to the public. The opening of the gates is expected for the 15 (but some persons were already in tail this afternoon), and before the U2 Ash and Feeder will be shown. The U2 should ascend on the platform to 21 about, and to play for more or except for 2 hours and a fourth one.

Well, we can get the jist of it anyway :huh:

I think the strings are gonna be super awesome and I can't wait to hear it :hyper:

I'm so sad that U2place seems to have imploded because I read they had pictures of the wider stage. Has anybody seen pics somewhere else? I'm interested in figuring out where they're going to put the extra performers.

Edit: :der: I knew I had seen a pic somewhere. This one is off of U2tours.de...

145.jpg

Edit 2: :der: I just noticed this is the pic on U2.com that goes with Willie's diary. Shows how often I go over there for information... (right after I've checked every other U2 website in existance.

Last edited:
Excellent pics...thanks. Just wondering how many stages do U2 have? Do they have a number of different stages so one can be set up at their next destination before they arrive? Also they seem to have various different setups at different stadiums...but i guess that means the stage itself is very customisable?

so it looks like they extended the side ramps past the speakers.

a question - have those lights surrounding the B-stages been there all tour???

THANKS....

I'm confused....Doesn't it seem to be the short side the stage is at?:huh:

Popmartijn said:

No, this is just for the Milan shoot (according to Willie in his diary).

They are ugly :wink:.....they look like some cheap 80s-Discotheque or something :wink:

Back
Top Bottom