MENEW possibly a pre-planned gig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2wedge

New Yorker
I went to the band MENEW's website (they played Out of Control at night 3 of Toronto..) and was pretty impressed with their resume. So much in fact that with the connections they have, I almost wonder if they were hooked up by their management to get on stage with U2? Here's what their site says about them... some pretty big names mentioned...

It's a story that begins with the friendship of three, who formed a band to write great music. "It's the best feeling in the world creating melodies for a song, turning it into something, and knowing that people are listening to it, and loving it” says Shade. “Getting our music heard by as many people possible is our goal, and doing it without jeopardizing our morals or ‘selling out’."
Shade, Key and Nathan, grew up in Rockton, Ontario; a rural town west of Toronto. They all began playing piano at a young age and later ventured off to their current instruments. "The band became official when we decided to buy a set of drums," remembers Nathan. "Originally Key was going to be the drummer, but because I could do a drum roll at the time, it was decided that maybe I would take the job.”

They recorded a three-track EP and pressed 2000 copies which caught the attention of producer Scott Mathews (Elvis Costello, Beach Boys, Eric Clapton). Mathews was extremely enthused with MENEW's music and wanted to see them perform. "After I saw them live, I knew that I had to work with them. They’re simply remarkable songwriters and their energy and passion is hard to come by these days." MENEW recorded with Scott in September and October of 2003 in San Francisco. The album was entitled ‘Revolution Behind Their Back’ and contained 11 tracks. While in California, they met Hans Uhlig, a Lucas Films (ILM) supervisor, who decided to film a documentary on the band about their story, their album, and the future. Later that year Hans filmed and directed the video for the single 'In Trouble', which was critically acclaimed.

In Early 2004 music promoter Simon Flight heard the album and wanted to be a part of it. Soon after, Simon gathered a group of high profile investors and opened the independent record / promotion company, Union Music. He signed the band on as the company's main focus and became their co-manager along with Kathrin Allgoewer of Queen Bee Management. “We want to see them go a far as possible, even if that means we have to step down to a larger company. MENEW belongs in a stadium” says Simon.

At the end of 2004 MENEW were playing some of their most important and daring shows ever. In between venues like the legendary Horseshoe Tavern, they were performing surprise concerts for fans and onlookers. One being on a stage suspended from a crane; with an arm that stretched a hundred feet in the air. It was not an acoustic set either; this was a full blown rock show! (CLICK TO VIEW PHOTO) “MENEW has tons of energy and ingenuity; they're ballsy, aggressive, enthusiastic and clever" remarks Denise Donlon (Former President of Sony Music). And what a way to kick of their new 'Live in Toronto' EP that had just been released.

By the time spring of 2005 rolled around, the boys were attracting more attention then ever. They had met with producer Rick Parashar (Pearl Jam, Bon Jovi, Nickelback), with plans to record a few new songs together. “I was seriously blown away by the new material they had sent me. Their writing had developed so much in such a short period of time” Rick says. “There was such an outstanding selection of songs to choose from that it was very difficult to make the final picks” The EP resulted in five songs, ranging from the infectious 'Young Pilot', to the very clever 'Clear', the political anthem 'Not Afriad', and two ballads, 'Plastic Love' and 'Without Regret'.

MENEW's ambitions stretch further than their music, they are also big supporters of causes such as Amnesty International, War Child, D.A.T.A., and Greenpeace. Key explains "We try to make people aware of these issues, on our CD's, website, concerts, wherever we can. There are people in our world that need help, how can you ignore something like that."

The word MENEW is similar to a palindrome, it can be read right-side up and upside down; it is universal without a language barrier, just like the topics of their songs. Everyone can relate to them and it is obvious they come from the heart of a band who loves to write and play great music. Ultimately, MENEW's music is not like anything else out there right now, and that's what the rest of the world will hopefully find out for themselves. "You can make out to it, break up to it, save the world to it, or at least think you can."

Would be interesting to see them open up at a future U2 show...

I highly doubt it was planned. They were right next to me on the rail and I saw the whole thing unfold first-hand, not only did it not looked planned, but the whole thing was quite confusing at first.

Re-cap because it's a fun story:

Before the show, I saw the guys next to me had a sign , and I asked them what it was. Eventually they showed it to me at it said "Our Band + One Song = Happy Crowd". I asked them what they wanted to play, they said "Not sure, something they haven't played... maybe Out of Control"

I thought, cool, but the chances of Bono pulling an entire band on stage are slim...

Early in the show, Bono walked by an aknowledge their signs with a smile. The guys were really excited.

Then after the phone call to B.B., Bono came over to them: (not the exact words)

BONO: "How many of you is there?"
GUY NEXT TO ME: "Hmm, four, but now only three here..."
BONO: "There is four of you, but three here?"
GUY: "Yeah, bass player is in the bathroom..."
B: "Bass player in the bathroom! What's he doing, throwing up? I hope not because I don't want him to make a mess..." (all this in a obviously joking tone)

Then Bono said OK, I'll be back. The guys were going crazy, then the band went on to play Yaweh.

Bono came back to them after:

B: "What do you want to play?"
Guy: (hesitating)"Well, we play rock...'
B: " What do you want to play?'
Guy:" Hmm... Out of Control?"
B:"ok"
Guy: "The bass has to be tuned to E..."
B: (looking like this is becoming very complicated) " Bass tuned to E?... E, sure we can do that, come on up"

So the guys went on stage, and Bono said "Last time I did this I promised myself I would never do it again!" and "You guys better be good, because I don't usually hang out with tall people!"

Also, at the start, the guitar player/singer asked Bono if he could have some of his water, and Bono said "Of course you can have my water! Water here is for EVERYONE!"

Priceless, and certainly not staged.

Last edited:
Ha, good memory oceane... Makes it seem like I'm back in the arena watching it unfold again.

It was not planned they were about 5-6 people behind me in line from about 3:00 am on. I doubt they would line up that early if it was pre-planned.

About half an hour ago I overheard "U2" and "Friday" and from the TV downstairs and went flying down to see what it was about. It was the end of a bit on the CTV Toronto news about Menew and their experience on stage. Maybe they'll show it again during the news tonight!

Back
Top Bottom