Melbourne 2 - Set List and Watch Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lila64 said:
don't know if this is posted anywhere - just came across it. Beautiful Day, Melbourne2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_zWkJh-9Is

Saints: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdYu39YDv7I

Pride: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECDjmZGMfp8

Unchained Melody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zy9l61kcwo

Streets: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD0hrH34T_4

there's a million!

ok, 3 more: COBL start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwvJ1LWcMvA

SYCMIOYO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECPXIN-FH4 (a little out of sync)

Miss Sarajevo (also out of sync) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8WZgwvbbGU

there's also one on youtube with the names texted during 'One'

Wow thanks so much for these!

I can relive it all! :drool:

TranceEnding said:

I don't mean to be rude, but god, that's the funniest thing I've heard in a long time :ohmy: :laugh:

Quite all right TranceEnding, I was laughing as I washed my eye out (although I had to calm down while I was picking grit out of my eyelid - sorry if that's TMI!)... it is a pretty funny story. :D And I'd do it all again if I could see a show like that again!!

Thanks for the pointer to that other thread, Gr@cie :)

The U2Australia email list I'm on has been debating the Edge/Bono Sydney/Melbourne gaffe as well, the consensus seems to be that yes, it was Edge, an honest mistake, corrected by Bono, and also quite amusing. :)

Poor Edge... his world blows up, he's constantly accused of being an alien, no wonder he gets confused. :)

Regarding the fake Bono... I've seen the Australian U2 Show, and Gary does look a lot like Bono. At Melbourne 1 he was apparently standing near some friends of mine (who were apparently near me but I never saw them!), and I got a text saying "Fake Bono is standing behind us!".
The Aust U2 Show puts on an awesome gig, by the way, although I didn't get to the after party on Sunday. :)

And more thanks to Lila! I never want to forget those shows. :D

Alison

there's tons more links on you tube - just search U2 Melbourne

I edited that post about a hundred times :lol:

<<<off to bed :yawn:

Alisaura said:

Quite all right TranceEnding, I was laughing as I washed my eye out (although I had to calm down while I was picking grit out of my eyelid - sorry if that's TMI!)... it is a pretty funny story. :D And I'd do it all again if I could see a show like that again!!

Thanks for the pointer to that other thread, Gr@cie :)

The U2Australia email list I'm on has been debating the Edge/Bono Sydney/Melbourne gaffe as well, the consensus seems to be that yes, it was Edge, an honest mistake, corrected by Bono, and also quite amusing. :)

Poor Edge... his world blows up, he's constantly accused of being an alien, no wonder he gets confused. :)

Regarding the fake Bono... I've seen the Australian U2 Show, and Gary does look a lot like Bono. At Melbourne 1 he was apparently standing near some friends of mine (who were apparently near me but I never saw them!), and I got a text saying "Fake Bono is standing behind us!".
The Aust U2 Show puts on an awesome gig, by the way, although I didn't get to the after party on Sunday. :)

And more thanks to Lila! I never want to forget those shows. :D

Alison

after party? whats this... in the words of pauline hanson - please explain?

haha the fake Bono.. i believe i saw him... and chatted to him. Atleast, i think! was he wearing a replica jacket... Bono hair circa Elevation tour... stacked shoes... the armani (red) glasses? if you are looking at gate 7 from outside telstra dome, was he in line on the left side?

dazzlingamy said:
Yeah I don't think it was Gary as he cut his hair i think? (the "bono" of the australian u2 show) but we saw him, i thought he looked like say bono's brother but then we thought why would bono's brother be wearing a vertigo t-shirt and also be dressed like bono. hahahahah

We saw Bono's daughters though! Well i think tey were them, walking through the ellipse with that bald secuirty guard

Wow really? His daughters were there? Gee, and apparently Hamish and Andy as well... I didn't move from my spot much and generally didn't have a look around to often... now i wish i kept my eyes open a bit more! I even had a snooze on the ground before Kanye :ohmy:
I wonder if they stayed in the ellipse for the show?

Hmmm interestinggg

I'm told that Gary-from-the-Aust-U2-Show is very fond of the Zoo era, so maybe that's why he keeps his hair longer. He apparently does a bit of a MacPhisto act sometimes, although I haven't caught that part of the show.

The Aust U2 Show were playing at a pub (can't remember the name of it! Not their usual haunt of the Irish Times) on Bourke St (I think) after Sunday's concert, I saw a big red and black banner hanging off the place on Friday evening advertising it as an after-party for concert-goers.

I wonder if all the fake Bonos were at the U2 shows taking notes for their own performances... ;) Gary has got a lot of Bono's moves and mannerisms down really well.

I didn't actually see any fake Bonos in the line or at the show... I was on the right hand side of Gate 7 both days anyway. I had my Interference top on but nobody noticed... (aaaaw) :)

Alison

jonnytakeawalk said:
speaking of Kanye how bad was his reception at melb II?!!! he said something like 'I wont have an album out for another year' and didnt the crowd chear???? Almost no one was getting into it. I thought he was good though

Yeah, Kanye copped a pretty raw deal, especially at Melb 2. There was cheering after he said that, I do think it's just rude to be like that to an opening act. They've got the toughest gig there is, especially when you're in a completely different musical genre to the main act. I have to admire Kanye making the effort, and he put a lot of energy into his performance, despite the lukewarm reception. And I thought his set was pretty good, for hip hop.

That being said, I lost most of the respect I ever had for Kanye West when he blew his lid at that awards show a little while back. I still didn't boo him, because it is rude, but I didn't really get into it either.
And later on, when Bono was trying to talk him up, there was a fairly loud silence from the part of GA that I could see. :|

Anyone know why the strings players had red paint on their faces?? Looked like they were trying to do a Michael Stipe.

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:
Alcohol cures everything :yes:

haha :wink: hic! :drunk:

Dammit! I now so wish my friend and I popped into that pub to see that U2 show :mad: After the concert, we walked past (or hobbled more like it ... 3 nights in GA is tough!) stopped for a few moments and considered it ...

me: 'awwww .. it just wouldn't be the same, would it??'

U2 Bliss: 'naaaahhhh, cover bands are a bit dodgy'

and off we wandered to 7-eleven for ice-tea and juice instead!

How dumb are we, haha :huh:

TranceEnding said:

haha :wink: hic! :drunk:

Dammit! I now so wish my friend and I popped into that pub to see that U2 show :mad: After the concert, we walked past (or hobbled more like it ... 3 nights in GA is tough!) stopped for a few moments and considered it ...

me: 'awwww .. it just wouldn't be the same, would it??'

U2 Bliss: 'naaaahhhh, cover bands are a bit dodgy'

and off we wandered to 7-eleven for ice-tea and juice instead!

How dumb are we, haha :huh:

Cover bands ARE dodgy, but really, that night, iced tea and juice was just so NOT gonna cut it! :lol:

On Melb 1 i was cheering and dancing and getting into Kanye. I just imagined what it would be like for me to be up there, performing in daylight, to thousands of people who were being non receptive. Anyway, i had fun, and i was suprised more people didn't get into Gold Digger cos i thought that was relatively popular...

The strings girls with the red over their eyes... kinda not really relative to Kanye... but i thought they were getting into the Vertigo theme?

This was the best concert I've ever been at. We were standing directly in front of Adam the whole night - 3rd person from the fence. Having seen the show a number of times already, my mate and I just decided to watch Adam. So when there was action on the catwalks and everyone else had their back to the main stage We just kept watching Adam and waving at him. It would've been impossible to miss as we were the only people in a sea of people facing forwards!
Anyway we made him laugh a couple of times and at the end of the show I when they were playing an extra song after Kite (BAD), I was asking for 2 more throughout the whole song... was disappointed when I got the shake of the head...
Was pretty cool that both Adam and Bono noticed us.
Awesome concert.
They were fully into it the whole time...

Mike Watson said:
This was the best concert I've ever been at. We were standing directly in front of Adam the whole night - 3rd person from the fence. Having seen the show a number of times already, my mate and I just decided to watch Adam. So when there was action on the catwalks and everyone else had their back to the main stage We just kept watching Adam and waving at him. It would've been impossible to miss as we were the only people in a sea of people facing forwards!
Anyway we made him laugh a couple of times and at the end of the show I when they were playing an extra song after Kite (BAD), I was asking for 2 more throughout the whole song... was disappointed when I got the shake of the head...
Awesome concert.

I must have been standing near you. I was on Adams side, 3 or so rows back, right in line with his cabs

Mike Watson said:

Awesome concert.

Hey awesome story!

Good on ya for tryna get them to play more! :drool:

Adam is the forgotten man of the group but his bass was perfect in Melbourne and that is why they souded soooo goood.

Bono even said outside the Corner Hotel, it was one of their best concerts in years.

Sounds as if Melbourne 2 was really the hit! I have seen some stuff on You Tube. But does anyone know where I can download the concert in mp3, because I have only seen Melbourne 1 and the other Australian concerts around here. I would so LOVE to hear the latest Melbourne show in a decent quality.

Talking to work mates about the gigs and suffering from concert amnesia, which song was it in the set that had the "walking man" on the screen? I think it was Sometimes but I'm :huh:

I never forget Adam... :D

I deliberately stood near the catwalk (3 people back) on his side of the stage for Melb 1 (my first U2 show), and was wearing a t-shirt with a big bass clef on the front. I really should have worn it to Melb 2, as I got a lot closer to him when he came out to Edge's b-stage, and he might have noticed it then. *L*

Bass is the best! :D That guy with the guitar was pretty good too though. ;)

Adam came right by us to play Steets on Night 2 and it was fucking amazing. He even let some people touch the neck of the guitar.

Pride to Streets has to be the best song transition I've ever seen with people singing the "whoh oh oh oh" bits, and Streets with the African flags as the background fits the song perfectly.

Good to hear Bono said it was their best show in years. They've done some great shows in that time too. I just hope he doesn't get on the bar table and nearly spill my beers next time. :madspit:

Great, great shows!

wang_chung said:

I must have been standing near you. I was on Adams side, 3 or so rows back, right in line with his cabs

My mates and I must have been right in front of you or at least relly close by, cuz we were right in front of adam, however 2 rows of people from the front !

Was an excellent show, probably the best I have been too although Cardiff was amazing too last year

it's either Cardiff or Melbourne 2 for sure.. for me that is :D

What this concert had over the American tour is that BOno was a lot loser with his chat between songs.

His comments had been refined over a number of concerts and the whole thing was a lot less forced and more flowing, like a real show.

Back
Top Bottom