Melbourne 2 - Set List and Watch Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. All I can say is wow. I was only a few rows from the front, 3-4 or so on Edge's side, and WOW. bono_man2002, his friend, and I had to have a group hug at the end, it was that bloody incredible. We were awe-struck. Oh man.

Here's the set.

Source (with more statistical comments from me): http://www.u2-vertigo-tour.com/article333.html

City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet) / Beds Are Burning (snippet)
Elevation / Spinning Around (snippet)
Until The End Of The World
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Beautiful Day / Blackbird (snippet)
Angel Of Harlem
The First Time
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / Torna A Surriento (snippet)
Love And Peace Or Else
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
Miss Sarajevo
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Where The Streets Have No Name
One / Unchained Melody (snippet)

Encore(s):
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You
The Saints Are Coming
Party Girl
Kite
Bad / Ruby Tuesday (snippet) / 40 (snippet)

THE FIRST TIME!

AND SONG OF SONGS, BAAAAAD!!! I couldn't believe it. I just couldn't. Oh WOW.

beLIEve_ZOO121 said:
Thanks Axver. Any news on a soundcheck (OTH, WITS)?

No soundcheck by the band today.

Around 2pm, the techs did some brief checking but nothing notable.

Both Melbourne shows were excellent! Bono let the champagne flow over the crowd near the end. And Bad was a great way to finish the Australian leg of the tour. Although The Edge said "Thanks Sydney!" at the end - maybe it was just his subtle humour...

Well done boys - hope to see you back down under soon!

spiderfernandez said:
No Walk On?

But getting the close with Bad! You lucky, lucky b*****d.

The lack of Walk On surprised me too. I expected it after Angel Of Harlem, but then Edge was handed an acoustic. I actually thought they were about to do Yahweh, but then they burst out into THE FIRST TIME! I thought we had no chance of getting that - I figured that if it would happen, it would be at Sydney III. But wow, we got it.

And as Kite concluded, I was expecting the houselights to come up and Streets Of Your Town to come over the PA ... and then suddenly I heard this familiar sound and I just stood there in disbelief. I turned to bono_man2002 and we just screamed "BAAAAAAD!!!!" and went nuts.

WHAT. A. CLOSER.

drbono said:
Although The Edge said "Thanks Sydney!" at the end - maybe it was just his subtle humour..

Ha, yeah, that was funny. "Thanks, Sydney!" *pause, some boos* "Thank you Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney, but especially MELBOURNE!" Adelaide got rejected (and the rramshackle Party Girl from Sydney III was claimed to have happened there by Bono). :lol:

I thought Bono was the one usually geographically confused. Remember Detroit, Ohio? :wink:

kennerado said:
Andre, did Bono mess up the words to Party Girl again or did he get it right this time?

Heh, no, they did it pretty well this time around.

You weren't there?! I fully expected you to be there.

AussieU2fanman said:
DID THEY NAIL BAD? I need more info! Was bono's voice good for the fade away's and the 'fade.......fade.....I fade away - then edge comes in'? More details !

It was superb. It soared. I feel the performance I saw on 2005-05-26, Boston was a little better, but this was still thoroughly exceptional. Words cannot describe. I'm still blown away that they played it.

BRING ON ONE TREE HILL!

WOW - that was incredible!!!

I am in shock right now.. cannot write complete sentences... will only agree with everything Axver has said thus far .... WOW!!!

Sydney or Melbourne... doesn't really matter. Tonight was... WOW!!!

I just got back from the concert. Like all have said - it was amazing. I attended Sydney I, III and Melbourne I & II. This left everything for dead.... the setlist was obviously awesome - the boys were on fire. I was in the same position as last night, for objectivity purposes :nerd:
Both nights I have been between the two B stages and right in the centre - so probably about 4-5 metres to Edge, 3-4 to Bono/Larry/Adam. It was sensational. I thought the crowd might have not been as good - being a Sunday, and being the second concert - but people were into it - and everyone knew every song. Even Party girl was sung by everyone around me - twas great.
Got the most wicked pictures - first time I have taken a camera - I just wanted some for memories this time...
As for the setlist, I saw the acoustic come out - which I knew ruled out Desire, and so firgured Yahweh, then I head the first two chords and knew it in one. I dreamed of that this morning - I never ever expected it. The First Time came out and it was so good. I have taken a picture of Bono and Edge during it - with the spotlight on them both - beautiful.

It was such a sad time during Kite - knowing that it was indeed goodbye. Throughout the night I was a bit choked up - but the great time in Australia, and the crowd tonight ensured Bad was played - how sweet it was...

Was tempted to go to NightCat tonight to see if they went there - but figured I need to get things done tomorrow.

All in all - the most amazing concert I have ever been to. The quality of the performance, the spectacle, the crowd, the postion I was in - it all clicked tonight.

I just wish they were filiming tonight - they filmed a bit, but not much. They would be kicking themselves tonight - even Bono acknowledged tonight that the crowd was much louder before going on the cell phone rant.

Anyway, its 1am and probably shoudl head to bed. Still buzzing though - just phenomenal.... I love hearing Bono's voice and Larrys drum without it going through the PA too... that is so damn cool.

Yeah - Edge did a bit of a gaffe... currently residing in Sydney I didnt mind - but it didnt go down too well. I am of the opinion he should have served his penance by playing the U2 anthology from start to finish :wink:

Edit: Yeah... I cant spell tonight - I made some alterations, but I can't be arsed doing anything more... stream of concious is all I can do right now.

Last edited:
Oh wow.....I can't believe that setlist! :drool:

Nor the fact that I wasn't there but the guy I got tickets for long ago, who ended being a wanker, as well as most likely his psycho girlfriend, were there and got to hear it! :angry: :mad: :|

andyuk said:
bring on the torrent i can't wait for this audio!

the guy who taped Melbourne 1 (is on U2torrents already) also taped this show (if you go to the link to the Melbourne 1 show in the comments below it he mentions that he taped this show too)....hang in there as I am and it will show up real soon..:wink:

It is 2:35am I am just back from the show. What a journey. I saw all 7 Australian shows and boy tonight's was special. Bad / 40 were stunning. Good to see the boys willing to throw in another song after Kite. The GA crowd were unreal. I am a little lost for words. Two weeks following this tour, incredible. Add in tonight's stunning show and setlist and just wow.

....might be going against the grain here but i say melb 1 was a better performance...melb 2 had more surprises but melb 1 was flawless tight passionate nail on the head sort of show.....tonight was fun but lots of mistakes and a bit tired sounding by the end...also the crowd went off more at 1 no matter what BOno said...(i mean he also said they stuffed up party girl in adelaide!! they didnt even play it in adelaide...)......iprobably didnt help that i had a shit time until about angel of harlem.....i had seat level 1 where they kept the lights on and everybody stayed seated...argued with security who wouldnt let me into ga...then ran up to level2 and avoided security to find a good spot finaly......cant believe ive just seen 3 shows.......what to do now?.....

Well, it's just after 4am and I'm still wide awake after tonight's performance! I was right down the front in the first few rows and smack, bang dead centre in front of Bono. :combust:

Words can't fully describe what I experienced tonight but it was absolutely amazing...an absolute dream come true. I think it can be best summed up by a guy near me tonight who regularly let out the most appropriate cry of "LEGENDS!".

Couldn't have put it better myself! :bow: :applaud:

Damn you lucky people! Only got to go to Melbourne I. Ah well, I had an awesome time. I hope they filmed The First Time and Bad/40.

My daughter's good friend in Australia has a dad that's a cameraman. Turns out he worked both shows. We heard that the first night he was on a platform over/in the crowd, and night 2 he was filming Larry :ohmy: No further info at this time...

Back
Top Bottom