McGuinness comments on tour postponement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosleftone

Refugee
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1495356/20050106/u2.jhtml?headlines=true

U2 have postponed the announcement of dates for their world tour in support of How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. The band had planned to announce the U.S. and international dates on Monday, but that has been put off indefinitely, according to
manager Paul McGuinness.

"We've postponed the announcement of the tour because the routing is still being worked on," McGuinness said in a statement. "As soon as we get everything confirmed over the coming weeks, we'll let you know." A band spokesperson would not comment on media reports that the postponement was due to a family illness.

In December, McGuinness said that the tour was slated to kick off on March 1 in Florida and hit 35 U.S. arenas before heading overseas, and it's possible that the tour could still follow that plan.

The band spokesperson would also not comment on whether the change in tour plans would affect U2's attendance of the Grammy Awards ceremony on February 13 — they are nominated for three awards for their single "Vertigo" — or their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 14.

The next U.S. single from the band will be "All Because of You." The video for that song debuted Tuesday night during the Orange Bowl.

Last edited:
I don't know..."would not comment" is a long way from denying that the report was true...

folly said:
Hot Press message board is saying Edges daughter has cancer.

Wow, I read the post on that messageboard and it is really brutal. I hope the person who posted that over there is just talking shit.

The tour means absolutely nothing in this context. God, please let this not be true.

I hope it's not true (about the daughter). That would be horrible.

It's very possible that the schedule just has to be finalised. Let's hope for that.

folly said:
Hot Press message board is saying Edges daughter has cancer.

The Hot Press board said leukemia or cancer or something like that. I doubt its cancer. Isn't she too young to have cancer? Perhaps leukemia as that also happens to kids. My friend's younger brother died of that when he was in grade school. Maybe this illness could have been around for some time as I read that when Edge heard Original Of The Species which was written for his daughter, he cried. Of course we all hope everything will be fine in the end.

Cheers,

J

If that's true, then I am absolutely devastated for Edge and his family. I had tears in my eyes just reading that, so I can't imagine how the family must feel. I pray to God that the situation is otherwise.

If it's not true, than that poster is a complete fucker. Whoever can joke about that kind of thing is seriously messed up.

The poster on the Hotpress board has put the post up, then tried to claim credit for not spreading the rumor. Rather hypocritical attitude, I would have thought.

Hope it's not true.

Just to say, Dublin is a terrible place for gossip so it may not be true. We will have to wait and see.

beau2ifulday said:

If it's not true, than that poster is a complete fucker. Whoever can joke about that kind of thing is seriously messed up.

I agree with you. That is a horrible rumor to spread, I'm also hoping it isn't true :sad:

Rasta posted this in the news thread, it seems like a much more reasonable explanation:

"Okay guys. I have a personal friend who works at Clear Channel Entertainment here in Toronto and I was told today that the reason why the tour has been pushed back is that the band feel they need extra time to rehearse the new songs and work out some of the kinks. They don't want a repeat of opening night of the '97PopMart Tour. There was also a delay with the video screens Willie Williams has adapted for this tour as they were ordered from Montreal, Quebec in Canada (the same company they used on the PopMart Tour). The tour has been pushed back and will begin in Las Vegas and not Los Angeles. Los Angeles will be played after Las Vegas. They are trying to re-schedule some of the shows that have been postponed to fit in the first leg but are having a difficult time re-booking the same arenas and must shows that have bben postponed will be played in the fall. The Toronto dates have been re-scheduled and Toronto will open the third leg of the Tour after a 2 week break from playing European Stadiums. As far as an "illness in the U2 family" my contact was not aware of this being a factor. The tour will be a General Admission Floor setup. No word on ticket prices."

If one of the band members kids was ill - I would imagine the tour would be a distant memory - not just postponed

I'm holding out hope for the have not rehearsed enough - in fact until otherwise disproven I'm sticking with that one

Thank you Kelly! I will be keeping my fingers crossed that this explanation turns out to be the right one. The other is just too terrible to contemplate.

nurse chrissi said:
I'm holding out hope for the have not rehearsed enough - in fact until otherwise disproven I'm sticking with that one

I'm afriad, i dont think that is the problem.
Just look that the preformances on the promo tour so far....
we at least know....the songs that they have preformed, have been awsome...
So you may be right, on the songs they havent played yet....

So, its either at the best....just trouble with the equipment....or at worst.....the illness.

(at least thats what i think)

bono_man2002 said:
So, its either at the best....just trouble with the equipment....or at worst.....the illness.

(at least thats what i think)

I'll be happy with any excuse that doesn't include illness

I can easily relocate since I'm going to have to do some traveling to get to an opening night anyway

The thought of Edge's daughter having leukemia as being the reason for the delay is not logical. That is a VERY serious illness. One wouldn't go "oh, well, we'll just postpone the tour a few weeks - she'll be better by then".

All we heard officially is that the tour ANNOUNCEMENT has been postponed. And yes, McGuinness did state the March 1st show in Miami - but nothing else was set or officially announced. So while those who had plans for that Miami show may have to rearrange their schedules, it seems all else will remain relatively the same. The U.S. might just get a shorter first leg tour, but perhaps a longer third leg.

My main concern is that Bono not hurt his voice practicing in the dry desert air. He did that with the JT and PopMart tours. So Bono - PLEASE practice BEFORE you get to Vegas and don't ruin your voice again. The 27 year old Bono was able to recover in a week... the 36 year old Bono needed a lot more time to recover... I have no idea if a 44 year old Bono would recover at all. :sad:

Illness or whatever, I will be keep them and their families in my thoughts and prayers. If it is an illness, no child should have to go through anything like that. If it is just a rumor and the postponement is simply because they are still trying to work out all the kinks, then this is just an awful story for someone to make up. I hope that whatever the setback is, everything will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom