Maybe Milan shouldn't be the next DVD...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I know it's a spectacular show, but the setlist is just so similar to Chicago. There's only 5 songs that they didn't play on the Chicago DVD, and only one of them is worth getting excited about (Miss Sarajevo). All the other ones I've heard a million times in every format. I wish they'd have recorded a later show. Maybe one with Walk on, Wild Horses, Fast Cars, The First Time (OMG love...) or Discotheque! nOW THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Maybe I'll be completely wrong... I hope so. :(

Last edited:
maybe it will be part of a live DVD boxset?

Redrocks/ZooTV Sydney/Popmart Mexico/Milan

in stores for next christmas, only $150 dollars

Well, let's do a proper comparison, shall we?

ELEVATION

On Boston only:
- Gone
- New York
- I Will Follow
- In A Little While
- Stay
- Bad
- The Fly

On Slane only:
- New Year's Day
- Out Of Control
- Angel Of Harlem
- Staring At The Sun
- All I Want Is You
- Pride
- One
- Bonus: Mysterious Ways

(Though this is only due to selective choices: Mysterious Ways, Pride, and One were all played at the Boston show but not released.)

VERTIGO

On Chicago only:
- An Cat Dubh
- Into The Heart
- Running To Stand Still
- Mysterious Ways
- Original Of The Species, minimal version

It also has The Cry opening The Electric Co., but Milan does not.

On Milan only (assuming full concert is used):
- I Will Follow
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- All I Want Is You
- Miss Sarajevo
- With Or Without You
- Original Of The Species, full version with orchestra

Milan also has Vertigo x2, the set has a different order (at least at the start), and it's a totally different stage set up. And a full band AIWIY has only been released once before, so ...

Axver said:
And a full band AIWIY has only been released once before, so ...

Actually, a full band live video recording of this song has been released twice: on the Popmart video and the Slane DVD.

:wink:

Does the Popmart version count as a full version of AIWIY? It's a bit shorter, but I love it :drool:

Popmartijn said:

Actually, a full band live video recording of this song has been released twice: on the Popmart video and the Slane DVD.

:wink:

I haven't watched Popmart in over a year, but isn't it at least somewhat abbreviated?

Axver said:
I haven't watched Popmart in over a year, but isn't it at least somewhat abbreviated?

So is every rendition of New Year's Day U2 plays. :D

I think it's long enough (3 verses or so) to count as a full song. :)

Later in the tour would have been nice...

Bad with People Got the Power:drool: :drool:

That gets my vote for best song/moment of the second U.S. leg. (not counting Mary J. Blige's emotional wailing on One on Vegas2).

Westport said:
Later in the tour would have been nice...

Bad with People Got the Power:drool: :drool:

That gets my vote for best song/moment of the second U.S. leg. (not counting Mary J. Blige's emotional wailing on One on Vegas2).

i hated mary j bliges wailing during one in new york city.

Was Los Angeles 2 the first time that version of Bad was played? Because I was there and it gave me fucking chills. Bono's improv during ISHFWILF is awesome as well.

I'm SO glad I have that show to listen to.

As for Milan, what was the original reason this show was recorded for? I don't get it.

Here's hoping the band isn't too cheap to foot the bill for ANOTHER taped show. I'm thinking Japan would be pretty cool. They've done Down Under, they've done Central/South America.

Or better yet, how cool would a South Africa show be?

Come on, you can't compare the Milan shows with the Chicago ones and you can't make a choice only for the setlist, Milan 2 is one of the best concerts I've heard this Vertigo tour, I regularly listen to the bootleg, sounds great.

- Other stage setup, bigger and with 2 B-stages.
- A few other songs (AIWIY, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Miss Sarajevo, Vertigo II and OOTS with orchestra) and snippets (Stg. Pepper/People I Don't Know Are Trying To Kill Me, See Me/Feel Me, Torna A Surriento (Opera part at the end of Sometimes))
- Other song order.
- Way better and living crowd, not the freezed people on the Chicago DVD.
- Bono's voice is a lot better than on the Chicago DVD, no frogs in his throat in Italy luckily.
- The first half of Milan I wasn't even filmed because the batteries weren't working, so we get a lot of Milan 2 (maybe 100%), this means no changing guitars, light curtains that are up and down and up and down or voices that you hear but can't see.
- The crowd, or did I already said that? :drool:

And much more, Milan was great and I can't wait the day it comes out on DVD. It will blow the Chicago DVD out of the water, the Chicago DVD will be useless, really ;)

Chizip said:
maybe it will be part of a live DVD boxset?

Redrocks/ZooTV Sydney/Popmart Mexico/Milan

in stores for next christmas, only $150 dollars

And we'd all buy it, despite the price. :drool:

I really think they need to release Milan, based on that little clip. Completely different show.

GibsonGirl said:
I really think they need to release Milan, based on that little clip. Completely different show.

that part with COBL looks like PopMart Part II :wink: lol, Only joking...

But I agree. It should be released at some point.

They should release Dublin 3 on DVD... check this setlist out...

Vertigo,
All Because of You,
Gloria,
Elevation,
An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart,
Beautiful Day - Blackbird,
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For,
Original of the Species,
Bad - Dirty Old Town,
City of Blinding Lights,
Miracle Drug,
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own,
Love and Peace or Else,
Sunday Bloody Sunday,
Bullet the Blue Sky,
Running to Stand Still - Happy Birthday - Walk On,
Pride,
Where the Streets Have No Name,
One - Unchained Melody

Encore(s):
Zoo Station,
The Fly,
With or Without You,
Vertigo,
Yahweh,

u2wedge said:

i thought it kicked ass... and I'm not even a Mary J. fan...

I'm not a fan either...couldn't tell you the name of one of her songs or albums but from where I stood in Vegas (two feet from the stage) she was incredible. And Bono was speechless.

StlElevation said:

i hated mary j bliges wailing during one in new york city.

Hearing it on bootlegs makes me want to shoot myself.

She absolutely butchered One. And that says something coming from me, the Outspoken Not A One Fan.

theu2fly said:
They should release Dublin 3 on DVD... check this setlist out...

Er, why?

That setlist has 4 songs not played in Chicago, LESS than in Milan.

So many people keep saying that Milan got Vertigo x2 and that is one of the differences between Chicago and Milan.

Well, I know I am not considered a "setlist expert", but I was at the Chicago show, and we got Vertigo x2, too. They just decided not to put the same song on the DVD twice. So what makes you think they would do it for Milan?

Now, I know, I don't know that they won't release Vertigo x2 for Milan, I just wanted to make the point, that it was also done in Chicago, and they decided to not release it on the DVD.

Axver said:

Er, why?

That setlist has 4 songs not played in Chicago, LESS than in Milan.

Yes and they didnt even record Dublin 3, it was Dublin 2, that has OOC, Party Girl, AIWIY, so they should release Milan and broadcast Dublin 2

Jamescorymiko said:
So many people keep saying that Milan got Vertigo x2 and that is one of the differences between Chicago and Milan.

Well, I know I am not considered a "setlist expert", but I was at the Chicago show, and we got Vertigo x2, too. They just decided not to put the same song on the DVD twice. So what makes you think they would do it for Milan?

Now, I know, I don't know that they won't release Vertigo x2 for Milan, I just wanted to make the point, that it was also done in Chicago, and they decided to not release it on the DVD.

Well...I think it's a "representing the show" thing - Vertigo2 was done almost every night in Europe (in fact I think only the last show missed it, yes?), so it would go on the Milan DVD as those that saw Vertigo in stadiums will no doubt remember that moment and like to see it again, whereas those that saw Vertigo in arenas likely remember "40" as the closer.

OpperGoeroe said:
Come on, you can't compare the Milan shows with the Chicago ones and you can't make a choice only for the setlist, Milan 2 is one of the best concerts I've heard this Vertigo tour, I regularly listen to the bootleg, sounds great.

- Other stage setup, bigger and with 2 B-stages.
- A few other songs (AIWIY, ISHFWILF, WOWY, Miss Sarajevo, Vertigo II and OOTS with orchestra) and snippets (Stg. Pepper/People I Don't Know Are Trying To Kill Me, See Me/Feel Me, Torna A Surriento (Opera part at the end of Sometimes))
- Other song order.
- Way better and living crowd, not the freezed people on the Chicago DVD.
- Bono's voice is a lot better than on the Chicago DVD, no frogs in his throat in Italy luckily.
- The first half of Milan I wasn't even filmed because the batteries weren't working, so we get a lot of Milan 2 (maybe 100%), this means no changing guitars, light curtains that are up and down and up and down or voices that you hear but can't see.
- The crowd, or did I already said that? :drool:

And much more, Milan was great and I can't wait the day it comes out on DVD. It will blow the Chicago DVD out of the water, the Chicago DVD will be useless, really ;)

This like the 250th time you've posted this. You are a waste of bandwidth.

tommycharles said:

Well...I think it's a "representing the show" thing - Vertigo2 was done almost every night in Europe (in fact I think only the last show missed it, yes?), so it would go on the Milan DVD as those that saw Vertigo in stadiums will no doubt remember that moment and like to see it again, whereas those that saw Vertigo in arenas likely remember "40" as the closer.

Ya, I know that, and I hear you. Just wanted those touting Milan as the end all because it had Vertigo x2 to know that Chicago had it as well.

Not a major point, was just pulling my one Axver setlist info tidbit of the week. :wink:

(Zero insult intended Axver, imitation is the best form of flattery.:hyper:

jimjam said:

Yes and they didnt even record Dublin 3, it was Dublin 2, that has OOC, Party Girl, AIWIY, so they should release Milan and broadcast Dublin 2

It's party time for the 3rd and final Dublin gig. Gloria, An Cat Dubh - Into the Heart, Original of the Species, Bad, and 40 all make their European Tour debuts. Miracle Drug is played for Christopher Nolan, who is at the show. Bono tells Nolan's story, which inspired the song. Bono sings a bit of 'Black Hills of Dakota' at the end of Sometimes You Can't Make It.... Tonight's show, like Saturday's, is filmed.

Source: U2tours.com

And AtU2's blog...

I don't know if you've been piecing together the various articles that have come out regarding the Croke Park shows, but it's sounding more and more positive about a DVD release (like Slane). First, Solo Too recorded the shows. Second, Matt from Canada had to sign a release after being brought up on stage during Party Girl during Dublin 2. Third, Peter McKenna, Croke Park's Stadium Manager, told the Belfast Telegraph in regard to what the GAA is paying for and what U2 is paying for: "The band carry all of the costs for the clean-up, pitch cover, and the cost of gardai but we've been responsible for food and drink, DVD rights and a percentage of the merchandise."

Jamescorymiko said:

The difference is that in Chicago, they filmed the 9th and 10th, and the 9th closed with 40, so they had a different closer than Vertigo x2 available to use. However, in Milan, both shows closed with Vertigo x2 and no other song stands out as a reasonable closer. It's pretty important to include the concert closer in a release, it's not something you want to cut. So I imagine Vertigo x2 would be on the Milan DVD if released.

Axver said:

Hearing it on bootlegs makes me want to shoot myself.

She absolutely butchered One. And that says something coming from me, the Outspoken Not A One Fan.

You might want to get to a few more shows before you consider doing that. Believe it or not....there is actually a difference between hearing it on a bootleg and actually being at the show and hearing it in person. But you can check out Bono's reaction on Vegas2.

Back
Top Bottom