"Major Acts" to open for U2 in South America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4U2Play

Refugee
"Major Acts" to open for U2 in Mexico and South America

Most of you probably have heard this already, but I didn't see it here, yet, so I thought I'd post it....

According to a "reliable source", U2 will perform with some of the biggest acts in the rock world when they play their various dates in Mexico and South America next year.

Acts might (emphasis on 'might') include:

Green Day

Coldplay

Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Killers

Get your tickets now.

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death somewhere else, just wanted to spread around some more juicy rumors for the U2 hardcores to chew on.

Last edited:
if only any of them were opening up for the USA.

Instead, I get INSTITUTE

(I am not too excited about them. Never was a Bush/Gavin fan) oh well!!

Have any dates been formally announced? And how do you purchase tickets for shows abroad? When I lived in Europe we used Fnac but S. America I have no idea....

March 1st and 2nd have been announced in Argentina. Congratulations to the S. Americans who will finally get to see some live U2!

onebloodonelife said:
March 1st and 2nd have been announced in Argentina. Congratulations to the S. Americans who will finally get to see some live U2!

There's an earlier article saying Mexico City is 'confirmed' for 2 March, so ... :shrug:

I think Coldplay would be a good opener, I don't think they've been to South America yet. That would be one hell of a bill...

joke kinda went stale in the last post...

on the subject of Coldplay/Green Day/ et al, I doubt they'd open for U2, mainly because they have their own commitments if anything...even if they DID, maybe they'd turn it into a 'mini-festival' of sorts, with the supposed big name openers having longer sets?

Headache in a Suitcase said:
why does anyone believe a report that some guy with under 100 posts has found but none of the major u2 fan news sites has heard anything about?

Well, someone posted it on the net. Therefore it MUST be true! :laugh: ;)

Coldplay is touring N. America during the time frame they are "supposedly" suppose to be opening in S. America. So I guess that is shot down also. What this looks like to me is a wishlist for some fan. It gets posted on the net and then becomes a fact and/or rumor.

U2 would probably need Elvis as an opener to sell out 2 shows in New Zealand at Western Springs Stadium.

While the 1989 tour was good to U2 in New Zealand, selling out 4 stadium shows, the 1993 tour wasn't so good in terms of ticket sales. In Auckland, they sold 40,000 out of 60,000 at one show at the same stadium they expect to sell out twice on this tour. And in Christchurch, only 25,000 out of 60,000 tickets were sold. Granted things can change in 12 years. Hopefully.

major means nothing...

major translates to GRAN, as in BIG

so MAJOR OPENERS would be BIG OPENERS

:wave:

The Killers? :drool:

Coldplay? :hyper: :drool:

Green Day? :drool:

RHCP? :drool:

IF anyone this is real (but I think not), maybe U2 can play 2 in Chile :hmm:

and Oasis with Stereophonics?.... those 2-3 week will be the best weeks ever

Of the 4 bands listed, I think only the Killers may be a possibility, though the word out of Brasil is that they are trying to get Franz Ferdinand to open.

Coldplay have already announced US tour dates during the time U2 will be in South America.

Billie Joe Armstrong told Billboard a few months ago that they may take their current tour to South America, but the implication was that they would be headliners in stadiums, so I think they are very unlikely.

The RHCP are also extremely unlikely, as they are stadium headliners on their own in South America and these dates do not fit into their schedule.

For those who like RHCP, I have info on their plans:

Last month Chad Smith from RHCP was part of an instore appearance at Tower Records in L.A. and I talked to him for about 15 minutes. He told me their plans for the next 2 years: They recorded 36 songs for their new album and have decided to release those songs as 2 14 song albums, with the first out around March 20th, with the second following probably in 2007.

They are planning to begin their tour in April in Europe, with the US following off and on from July-December. In early 2007 they will hit Australia and probably South America at that point.

Back
Top Bottom