Madison Square Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NamelessStreets

The Fly
Wanting a bit of advise.
After last nights gig, (also going to Twickers). I have come to the conclusion that I want to see them in either Dublin (home crowd) or the states. In a smaller, enclosed arena.
Anyway, me girlfriend is always banging on about a trip to New York, so has anyone on here seen U2 play at M.S Garden, if so, whats it like???? Will it be worth paying shitloads to a ticket scalper (the only way i'm gonna get tickets). Is the venue big?? i.e If im sat at the back, will I still be able to see? etc You get the picture!
Any advise is appreciated!

JUst about any seat in the house of an arena you will be able to see the band and enjoy the show. The Garden has different sight lines than some of the newer arenas. The upper level is a bit farther then most of the more modern arenas. I believe the Garden was built in 1968 or so.

That being said the energy and excitement of a NYC show is well worth it.

Try to stay off the upper tier to truly enjoy yourself. The 300's I believe. But in the end they are still seats in the building and you will thoroughly enjoy your show and NYC experience.

After seeing both the MSG & Boston shows during the first leg and even though I'm going back to the Garden for the 7 & 8 of October, I would tell you to also consider going to Boston.

If I had to do over again I would have bought tickets to Boston instead of NY for the fall.

In fact I might still decide to go back to Boston for the early December shows.

(I grew up in NY, lived their until I graduated from College and am a Yankee fan, just to make clear that I have nothing against NY).

Ok, how easy is it to travel between Boston and New York? How Long ect? and whats the best way? It seems me GF wont be able to get time off work for when they are at M.S.garden. She can get time off when they are at Boston, but she wants to go to New york! AAHhhhrrrggghh! Women!

I took the train from Penn Station in NY to Boston. It took about 4 or 5 hours and then I took a cab to the Hotel.

I had a blast in Boston and at the shows, never thought I'd be saying this. As long as no one knew I was a Yankee Fan I was fine.

I've seen U2 quite a few times at MSG (as well as many other big bands). On paper MSG seems like an amazing place to see U2--the buzz of NYC, lots of hype about the show, tough ticket to get, etc . In reality it's mediocre. Typically the shows are a bit stiff--lots of industry people good seats, "hipster" (attending because it's "cool") everywhere else. The NYC/MSG experience isn't what you'd expect. This is espeically true when U2 only plays one show at MSG (i.e. Vertigo 1st leg).

Don't get me wrong, U2 put on an amazing post 9/11 show at MSG but the majority of the shows leading up and following have been on par with everywhere else.

Remember, the show barely changes from one city to the next. Go to New York City to experience NYC (the sights, sounds, food, people)...don't plan the trip around MSG.

I live in Boston, have seen the last five tours' worth of shows here. I saw Elevation show in MSG in 2001 and have seen the last 3 tours worth of shows in Dublin. That said, I think if you can see them in Dublin, definitely do it because there is no other experience like it. But for smaller inside arenas, Boston is the place. The one MSG show I saw was fine, but I think the show was more caught up in post-9/11 nostalgia than it was a great show (rightfully so, not complaining, but those were my impressions).

It's a piece of cake to get to NYC even for the day from Boston (which is what we did the day we saw U2 there). It was less than a 4 hour drive on a Saturday, but I've done it by train in anywhere from 3.5-5 hours each way.

There's just a buzz about Boston that I haven't found anywhere else...other than Dublin!

The Garden has different sight lines than some of the newer arenas. The upper level is a bit farther then most of the more modern arenas

Wouldnt MSG have better views from the upper levels than newer arenas since there are no suites. Looking on thegarden.com seat viewer, it seems the views from the 300 level aren't bad.

U2fan05 said:

Wouldnt MSG have better views from the upper levels than newer arenas since there are no suites. Looking on thegarden.com seat viewer, it seems the views from the 300 level aren't bad.

MSG shows are awesome and there isn't a bad seat in tne entire building.

They do have luxury boxes but it doesn't effect the regular seats views and yes, the 300 level are great seats.

The best week of this tour will be when they play 5 shows in 8 days in MSG!!!!

all u2 shows are great. MSG (with maybe the exception of the post 9-11 show) is no better than any other venue. The first leg shows in NJ were both better than MSG. Come see them in the states, but if it costs you a lot more to go to MSG, see them some where else, there will be no difference in the performance. Although you may be able to get a good deal for MSG tickets with so many shows in one week.

I would have to say, off subject, that Denver might be the best of the West.

Any thoughts? This is just based on the run of incredible shows that U2 has put on there going back decades. I am not sure they haven't had an incredible one in that city yet.

And the Pepsi Center is gorgeous, and sounds better than a lot of other arenas. (still an arena though...)

TheFly40 said:
I've seen U2 quite a few times at MSG (as well as many other big bands). On paper MSG seems like an amazing place to see U2--the buzz of NYC, lots of hype about the show, tough ticket to get, etc . In reality it's mediocre. Typically the shows are a bit stiff--lots of industry people good seats, "hipster" (attending because it's "cool") everywhere else. The NYC/MSG experience isn't what you'd expect. This is espeically true when U2 only plays one show at MSG (i.e. Vertigo 1st leg).

Don't get me wrong, U2 put on an amazing post 9/11 show at MSG but the majority of the shows leading up and following have been on par with everywhere else.

Remember, the show barely changes from one city to the next. Go to New York City to experience NYC (the sights, sounds, food, people)...don't plan the trip around MSG.

Thats your best advice. I went to MSG in may and it was a great show, no better no worse than other performances ive seen. The actual city is what made the show special

U2 at MSG is fantastic. they're doing a 5 night stand at MSG in the fall...
Fri 10/07/05
Sat 10/08/05
Mon 10/10/05
Tue 10/11/05
Fri 10/14/05

if i were you, i'd aim to go to the show on 10/11... i have a feeling that's when they'd most likely mix up the setlist. or perhaps 10/14.

dublin's great- saw slane 1 and the energy was amazing.

will be very different at MSG- can't beat the enthusiasm of an irish crowd, but the intimacy of arenas is fantastic. :heart:

boston is fun, too. :up:

I have seen them twice in the Garden and I have GA's in the fall. It was really spectacular both times but it wasn't anything above and beyond other venues, per se. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing everywhere they play. But I thought they gave a much better show in Jersey than in NY. Try to stay away from the 300s, unless you are on the side of the stage they are indeed far away. The best part about seeing them in NY is that you can explore the city. I work 15 blocks away and it is def. one of the coolest areas in the entire country.

Hi Nameless Streets
Sylvia from Barnsley here. I just got back from Manchester 2. I went to MSG in May. Tonight's show was far superior to MSG in my opinion. I had 400 seats in The Garden, and the view was excellent. New York is a great experience. email me if you want any info. sylviadickinsonu2@yahoo.co.uk

njelevation06 said:
I have seen them twice in the Garden and I have GA's in the fall. It was really spectacular both times but it wasn't anything above and beyond other venues, per se. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing everywhere they play. But I thought they gave a much better show in Jersey than in NY. .

I totally disagree. MSG blew NJ out of the water...The energy was incredible.

Ticket prices are out of control for MSG.. Although ETS still has some .... if you can afford it do it. I saw U2 in Dublin for Zooropa and the difference was amazing from the states... you'll be amazed .. . the smaller venues are great. Boston is also great if you don't do NY. I saw them the first time in Chicago on this tour and you could not walk down the street without seeing a Vertigo shirt. It was a great time. Wherever you pick you'll love it. I'd base it on where you can get a good ticket.

NamelessStreets said:
Wanting a bit of advise.
After last nights gig, (also going to Twickers). I have come to the conclusion that I want to see them in either Dublin (home crowd) or the states. In a smaller, enclosed arena.
Anyway, me girlfriend is always banging on about a trip to New York, so has anyone on here seen U2 play at M.S Garden, if so, whats it like???? Will it be worth paying shitloads to a ticket scalper (the only way i'm gonna get tickets). Is the venue big?? i.e If im sat at the back, will I still be able to see? etc You get the picture!
Any advise is appreciated!

Definitely check out ETStours.com for a “Bronze” package if any are available. You’ll get a GA ticket and a pre-party for around $175 per ticket. If none are available you can daytrip out of NYC to Boston or DC and still enjoy the rest of your NYC holiday. If you’re just interested in just seeing the band all the arena shows will be about the same and seeing them in a 2nd tier city, maybe twice with great seats, might be your best bet. Check out the fan forums too for tickets or eBayit. There are plenty of good deals to be had without resorting to scalpers.

Don't bother with New York, the city itself is horrendously awful. Way too many people, it's super filthy, and overrated - about as fun as a colonoscopy. But hey, since U2 is playing there, it can't be that bad for a day or two.

Actually U2 are playing 7 shows in NYC this fall 5 in Oct and 2 in Nov. It shouldn't be too hard to find 2 tickets for MSG.

I would agree that U2 played better shows in NJ and Boston this May. I saw them play NJ #1, NJ #2, MSG, and Boston #3... I would rank them like this:

1. NJ #2 (best performance)
2. Bston #3 (best songs)
3. NJ #1 (most songs)
4. MSG (just OK show)

:wink:

randhail said:
Don't bother with New York, the city itself is horrendously awful. Way too many people, it's super filthy, and overrated - about as fun as a colonoscopy. But hey, since U2 is playing there, it can't be that bad for a day or two.

Jesus. There's one in every thread.

randhail said:

... I couldnt disagree more. There is an energy in NYC that is unlike any city in the world. Is it the best city in the world? Well thats open to an individual opinion, but don't make someone think that New York Can't be amazing. Just because you obviously had a bad experience there, doesn't mean everyone does. It is a city full of amazing people, amazing energy, and a creative force that is brilliant. And by the way Madison Square Garden is the best place to see a band, and especially a brilliant way to see U2!!

I'm seeing them in the Garden in October!!:hyper:
and New York City is such a great city, my favorite place to go. Even if you aren't going for a U2 concert, it's still awesome!

chrisjnyc said:
Actually U2 are playing 7 shows in NYC this fall 5 in Oct and 2 in Nov. It shouldn't be too hard to find 2 tickets for MSG.

I would agree that U2 played better shows in NJ and Boston this May. I saw them play NJ #1, NJ #2, MSG, and Boston #3... I would rank them like this:

1. NJ #2 (best performance)
2. Bston #3 (best songs)
3. NJ #1 (most songs)
4. MSG (just OK show)

:wink:

we agree ... they def. rocked NJ. I may reverse the two NJ shows nj shows in your rankings but they were both amazing. I was on the floor for both and it was just plain incredible. Those were the two best shows I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom