Madison Square Garden?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
njelevation06 said:

we agree ... they def. rocked NJ. I may reverse the two NJ shows nj shows in your rankings but they were both amazing. I was on the floor for both and it was just plain incredible. Those were the two best shows I've ever seen.
[/QUOTE

having seen U2 now 16 times and three times at the garden, i must say those are actually ranked as the worst three times i have seen them. ive seen them in nj, phily, dc, baltimore and providence and the performances in those cities were far better. having seen 8 shows in a row post 9/11, there was something off about them in the garden. you're not going to get a terrible show, but cities like boston and chicago historically get better sets and more rotation.

randhail said:
Don't bother with New York, the city itself is horrendously awful. Way too many people, it's super filthy, and overrated - about as fun as a colonoscopy. But hey, since U2 is playing there, it can't be that bad for a day or two.

per chance are you a red sox fan?

anyhoo... back to reality.

the energy @ MSG is something to behold... the roof feels like it's about to blow off the crowd is so loud.

the boston shows were more special this time around... true enough. boston's another great u2 city... let's put boston and new york as 1 and 1a.

the one problem this leg's MSG show had was that it was just one show... they wanted to put their best foot forward, not risk any screw ups. boston had multiple dates, so they took more risks. it was like that the entire tour... the more shows per city, the more mixed the setlists. when only one show, the setlist was pretty generic.

thus then when they play 7 shows this fall... yea... look for a hell of a lot more of a mix in sets.

I can't offer any advice on this thread - I'm just here as an observer, since I'll be @ MSG for the 1st time 11/21. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

I think regardless of what the majority may decide here, Mr. Blu & I are going to have a ball. We're going to be staying with some dear friends on LI, it's the week of Mr. Blu's birthday, we'll be touring a city we've always wanted to see, and.... AND!! -- I've got tix to see the best band in the world play in one of their favorite cities in the world. I don't think there's anything anyone could say to rain on my parade! :wink:

(By the way, my seats are in the 112 section.... anybody have any experience from there?)

Last edited:
U2IrishOne said:

... I couldnt disagree more. There is an energy in NYC that is unlike any city in the world. Is it the best city in the world? Well thats open to an individual opinion, but don't make someone think that New York Can't be amazing. Just because you obviously had a bad experience there, doesn't mean everyone does. It is a city full of amazing people, amazing energy, and a creative force that is brilliant. And by the way Madison Square Garden is the best place to see a band, and especially a brilliant way to see U2!!

:up:

yeah, i saw them four times on the first leg... i thought chicago would be better, but it was just ok... philly was better, but nj was probably the best... i got it on cd, and the fact that they let a random band play on stage with them was incredible... but msg was special too... alot of energy, but i think the crowd in nj was better... i haven't seen them in boston, but i hear that they rock there too... so all in all, i would see them in dublin, i have been looking at ebay, it isn't all that bad, figure it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. something tells me that they would play harder and longer there than any place in the states or in europe.

oh yeah, the garden is smaller than you think... philly, chicago, and the nj venues seemed much bigger. so if you don't care where you sit, the garden might be the best.

*Ally* said:
U2 at MSG is fantastic. they're doing a 5 night stand at MSG in the fall...
Fri 10/07/05
Sat 10/08/05
Mon 10/10/05
Tue 10/11/05
Fri 10/14/05

if i were you, i'd aim to go to the show on 10/11... i have a feeling that's when they'd most likely mix up the setlist. or perhaps 10/14.

awsume, i've got ticket to both of those last dates

People should realize that MSG and the Meadowlands in NJ are only 6 miles apart!!!

The crowd that hit both are usually the same group of people, especially this year when there was only 1 Garden gig on the 1st leg.This forced alot of people who would've gone to a 2nd or 3rd MSG show to trek over to the meadowlands.

I hit Philly1. NJ1-2, MSG and Boston3 and I'd say that NJ1 was probrably the best with Boston3 right there as well.

MSG was great but it was the "safe" setlist.There was great energy there but it was a looser feel in NJ1.

Bottom line is to see the biggest band in the world in the biggest city of the world makes for a powerful combo!!!!

I agree with Norsehorse23--the crowd in NJ was better. I liked the Continental Arena and the crowd much better than at MSG on May 21, and believe me, I did not expect to come to that conclusion!

In fact, I wish the band was doing a couple of shows at the Continental Arena during the 3rd leg, I enjoyed being there so much. It's more of a schlep for a Long Islander like me, but it was very worth it.

I hope the MSG crowd, or at least the people I'm around, are better in October. There was just a strange vibe, an unfriendliness and rudeness that made the atmosphere rather sour. The band was wonderful, though...!!!!!!

ones experience with the crowd really depends on where you are. if you get stuck in a shit section with a bunch of yuppies just there to check out the hip thing to do, you're gonna think the crowd sucks. if you end up surrounded by a bunch of die hards who flew in from siberia just for the show, you're going to think the crowd was amazing.

:shrug: location, location, location.

unfortunatly, the 5/21 msg show was filled with a lot of the yuppie type... that's what happens when you only have one show.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
ones experience with the crowd really depends on where you are. if you get stuck in a shit section with a bunch of yuppies just there to check out the hip thing to do, you're gonna think the crowd sucks. if you end up surrounded by a bunch of die hards who flew in from siberia just for the show, you're going to think the crowd was amazing.

:shrug: location, location, location.

unfortunatly, the 5/21 msg show was filled with a lot of the yuppie type... that's what happens when you only have one show.

I'll have to agree with you. On 5/21 I was surrounded by a bunch of yuppie types that had flew in from siberia just for the show. Those people are definately the worse.

What Headache in a Suitcase & Ramblin Rose said!

That could be a major reason I liked the Continental Arena show so much. To my left was a friendly guy who danced the entire show. To my left were a couple of 20-something women who were also very lively and friendly. I got a big kick out of them! And they helped make the show even more fun than it otherwise would have been.

BluRmGrl said:

Thanks! :up: I am on Cloud 9 about the whole thing & it's not even Fall yet. :D

I'm counting down the months, too! Maybe if we both cross our fingers, it'll get here faster....:D

We all know there was only 1 true Garden

one4u2 said:

As far as I'm concerned, you haven't lived until you see U2 at the Garden :combust:
True enough, U2's 2 shows on the Joshua Tree tour and St Patty's Day show during ZooTV were legendary, but since the garden is long since demolished, we have to settle for the FleetCenter/Banknorth Garden. :wink:

DPrinceNY said:

awsume, i've got ticket to both of those last dates

Yeah, me too I'm so excited!

Also, I've got tix to the two Philly shows after that. Honestly, the best city I've ever seen a concert in - amazing crowds. Totally underrated IMO.

I've got tickets to all 7 shows this fall and I am looking to seeing them mess with the setlist.

My last show I get to see on the tour is in Boston and I expect that one to be out of this world.

I was at the 2 NJ shows and my take is (for someone who went to her first U2 shows on May 17th) -- first night the place was down right nuts...we had been ready for U2 and we ate it up. The second night the guys matched our energy.

I have a friend who went to the NYC show and she said the audience seemed reserved. We agreed that come October it is going to be unreal.

The audience was great for the MSG spring show. It wasn't Slane Castle or anything, but I thought it was great.

It was the best show for me of the 4 shows I went to, loved it. I had shit seats behind the stage, and the view was awesome.

Madison Square Garden is legendary, and to see the best band perform in it is a great experience.

Back
Top Bottom