Lottery system for GA oval/pit/heart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:lol: the freak outs are just hilarious. Wait until there is an actual policy and/or setlist to bitch about!! :lol: Freak outs over phantom policies and setlists is a new level of idiocy IMO.

Could U2 do this? Sure
Will they, doubdt it seriously.

Bruce did it on his last tour and it actually worked pretty well. If the stage design with the ramp is correct there isnt going to be a bad spot on the floor anyway. There was NO guarantee you got in the heart on Elevation either, even if you camped out. To the person that is giving up their GA's if U2 did this post them for sale. They will be snapped up within an hour. Somehow I dont think you will be though.

People need to try to relax. We still have a month before we will know anything for sure. Until then, take it all with a HUGE grain of salt.

Last edited:
Grindstone said:
I can guarantee you that a lottery won't happen.

Keep in mind those that would run this won't care.. the band can't afford anymore bad publicity about the tour.
way more work than is necessary.

Sure it could, and it could actually be a step to prevent bad publiciity.

What if they are thinking that a lot of "GA line foul-ups" over the course of the tour will add to the negative publicity?

A lottery, run by two members of the crew, who would care, and would have other responsibilities throughout the tour (loading, unloading, whatever) could pull this off.

In addition, if two crew members fill the role they save the venue money and time - no staff investments.

I'm not saying it will happen, but there is a case to be made for it from a business and PR perspective.

And, it really surprises me to hear that fans would essentially give up on their favorite band and sell their GA tix if they go this direction.

Waiting in line is fun, but it's not that damn much fun -- maybe instead of 8 hours in line 8 hours of our lives could be used more usefully --- who might say something like that?

A singer with a cowboy hat?

Blue Room said:
:lol: the freak outs are just hilarious. Wait until there is an actual policy and/or setlist to bitch about!! :lol: Freak outs over phantom policies and setlists is a new level of idiocy IMO.
Not sure if you're referring to my comments as a "freak out", but I'll reply anyway:

Of course, this is just an unsubstantiated rumor and a good chance it's not true. But hey - the tour doesn't start, you need something to talk about in the mean time. :wink: It's not completely worthless to discuss a hypothetical situation, is it? Or else why even discuss potential anything?

Bruce did it on his last tour and it actually worked pretty well. If the stage design with the ramp is correct there isnt going to be a bad spot on the floor anyway. There was NO guarantee you got in the heart on Elevation either, even if you camped out. To the person that is giving up their GA's if U2 did this post them for sale. They will be snapped up within an hour. Somehow I dont think you will be though.
The point isn't that we're not guaranteed spots near the front. At least, for me, that's not the point. For me, the point is that I will not be able to enjoy the concert with my friends; the people I'm going to the concert with. Both of them, I just met this past fall, and when we discovered that we were all huge U2 fans, we couldn't wait for this tour. First talking about how excited we were about the new album...then talking about how excited we were about the tour... then talking about how excited we were to have gotten presale tickets (even though they weren't GA)... then how excited we were to actually get GA tickets. Neither of us three have been to a U2 concert before - we are all so excited to be able to experience the thrill of GA together.

If we miss out on the opportunity to stand together in GA, then it simply would not be worth it. It would be better for us to spend less money, sit together, and not miss a day of class by getting seats instead. I don't know why that's so hard for people to fathom. I just can't imagine going to a concert alone - which is exactly what it would be like if we all got seperated in GA.

(Of course, I realize we could always meet up with each other inside the GA pit by migrating back toward the one with the worst position. But I'd rather be in seats then.)
Originally posted by BWU2Buffs
And, it really surprises me to hear that fans would essentially give up on their favorite band and sell their GA tix if they go this direction.
Again, how does downgrading seats equate to giving up on a band? If I could make $100 by sitting farther away but with my friends, why wouldn't I? The costs of GA simply aren't worth it if you leave it all to chance. At least for those of us trying to scrape together money just to pay for school.

Last edited:
Fmattyh, a lottery doesn't mean that you don't go in with your friends.

**Before anything else, I am not advocating the lottery just trying to explain the mechanics for those discussing the not being able to go in with the person you went to the concert with**

For example: Consecutive numbers are handed out from 1 to 500. Lets say you get # 150 your friend gets # 151, 152 etc. (I'm assuming you're obviously standing together).

The # picked is 145, that person is the 1st in line, followed by 146,147,148,149,150,151,152 etc, i.e. you are still together.

Those people with #'s 1 to 144 go behind # 500 (those people are also still together). Presumably the only way you could be separated is if # 151 or 152 is called in which case # 150 would to to the back of the line. I would have to assume to the person running the lottery would not let that happen.

So if not being together is what worried you the the lottery is not going to affect you, however, it could affect your chance to get in the oval (or whatever) and and/or your position on the floor.

**AGAIN THIS POST IS NOT ADVOCATING ANY LOTTERY SYSTEM FOR THE GA LINE IN NORTH AMERICA.**

H said:
how can you stop people from queuing? Surely that will just leave alot of people milling about which isn't a good thing either?

People will still queue, but after the first few shows, word will get around that there's no point - if there's going to be a lottery.

I'll go on record as thinking this is a great idea. :shocked: As someone who had GAs for Providence2, but didn't want to spend all day sitting outside (you had to get there before noon by that point in the tour!), I would welcome a lottery as an "equalizer" so that everyone with GAs has an equal chance at getting the best spots. (And don't give me that hogwash about truly dedicated fans making sacrifices to get the best spots.... please, it's a rock concert for pete's sake.)

And to those who are rioting about having spent tons of dough for GA tickets ASSUMING the queue system would be the same as on Elevation: where did you read this? An official press release? A note that came with your tickets? Is it actually ON the tickets? No, no, and no. U2 has said NOTHING about how the GA queue will work, indeed they've said NOTHING about the actual stage setup!

If you REALLY want to use Elevation as a guide, remember that nobody knew anything about the queue system until the first show (or shortly before).

So.... anybody want to sell me those undesirable GAs for Boston2? :wink:

H said:
how can you stop people from queuing? Surely that will just leave alot of people milling about which isn't a good thing either?

Why Queue though if they are doing a lottery? What a waste of a day. You could stand there all day and draw the last number.

fmattyh, I wasnt referring to you specifically, more in general. "Discussing" different ideas and rumors is one thing. But some people are really freaking out over things that are complete fabrications. How is that good or healthy? If that is your idea of fun, you can keep it. The bottom line is being a U2 fan and going to concerts is suppose to be a fun thing, for me its a hobby of sorts. How is freaking out, getting pissed, and making derogatory statements about the band and ridiculous claims fun? Not my definition of it. Thats why I say people need to chill. Discuss it, but the freak outs are out of hand.

hibricc said:

People will still queue, but after the first few shows, word will get around that there's no point - if there's going to be a lottery.

I'll go on record as thinking this is a great idea. :shocked: As someone who had GAs for Providence2, but didn't want to spend all day sitting outside (you had to get there before noon by that point in the tour!), I would welcome a lottery as an "equalizer" so that everyone with GAs has an equal chance at getting the best spots. (And don't give me that hogwash about truly dedicated fans making sacrifices to get the best spots.... please, it's a rock concert for pete's sake.)

And to those who are rioting about having spent tons of dough for GA tickets ASSUMING the queue system would be the same as on Elevation: where did you read this? An official press release? A note that came with your tickets? Is it actually ON the tickets? No, no, and no. U2 has said NOTHING about how the GA queue will work, indeed they've said NOTHING about the actual stage setup!

If you REALLY want to use Elevation as a guide, remember that nobody knew anything about the queue system until the first show (or shortly before).

So.... anybody want to sell me those undesirable GAs for Boston2? :wink:

The Lottery is not the equalizer. Its the equalizer to be lazy and cause confusion. It will take away all the fun. Its not going to happen starting in San Diego but if it starts up I will have to show up from show to show and end this Madness of Complaints and Lazy Bastards who can't take time off work. Have some Patience.

ramblin rose said:

**Before anything else, I am not advocating the lottery just trying to explain the mechanics for those discussing the not being able to go in with the person you went to the concert with**

For example: Consecutive numbers are handed out from 1 to 500. Lets say you get # 150 your friend gets # 151, 152 etc. (I'm assuming you're obviously standing together).

The # picked is 145, that person is the 1st in line, followed by 146,147,148,149,150,151,152 etc, i.e. you are still together.

Those people with #'s 1 to 144 go behind # 500 (those people are also still together). Presumably the only way you could be separated is if # 151 or 152 is called in which case # 150 would to to the back of the line. I would have to assume to the person running the lottery would not let that happen.

So if not being together is what worried you the the lottery is not going to affect you, however, it could affect your chance to get in the oval (or whatever) and and/or your position on the floor.

**AGAIN THIS POST IS NOT ADVOCATING ANY LOTTERY SYSTEM FOR THE GA LINE IN NORTH AMERICA.**

Thanks for the explanation, I was just going to say that since everyone is already freaking out about being separated and all.

I honestly don't understand why people are freaking out so much about this lottery idea. First, you will NOT be separated from your friends. Second, there is only about half of the people with GA tickets who will actually be there at 3pm for the lottery, therefore chances are you will get in the 'pit' and most likely will have a very good spot on the floor.

Although this is just a rumour, I wouldn't be surprised at all that if U2 would decide to do that this time around. It is clear that last time around, they were tired of seeing the exact same people at the front every night, and I can understand that completely. And this is a system used by other artists as well.

If it is well-run and we all know what we are up to in advance, it's really not the end of the world, although I agree it takes away part of the fun of the GA line.

Those of you who are saying they will sell their GA tickets if there is a lottery system are out of your minds... You're going to give away a great chance of having an amazing experience on the floor, and most likely being very close to the band.

You know I'm kinda glad I won't get to see them til the 3rd leg. By that time all the kinks will be worked out and I'll know how to appropriately plan my plan of attack.

Achtung Ya'll said:
You know I'm kinda glad I won't get to see them til the 3rd leg. By that time all the kinks will be worked out and I'll know how to appropriately plan my plan of attack.

I totally agree!(Live in Miami) We will just have to see what happens on the 28th. But for now what good does it do to worry about it when its just all rumours? Cheer up guys its U2...whatever happens you are watching them live.. All is right with the world;)

prisz25 said:

I totally agree!(Live in Miami) We will just have to see what happens on the 28th. But for now what good does it do to worry about it when its just all rumours? Cheer up guys its U2...whatever happens you are watching them live.. All is right with the world;)

San Diego GA Line will be ran well and if you bitch or complaint you get a shovel right smack in your face. Too many Bitches and Bruce Springsteen/U2 GA fans that are Lazy. If you buy a GA ticket you know what you are getting into when it comes to attending the concert. Not a random Luck Fuck who tries a Lottery to go against everyone who comes to the arena before everyone else. Thats Life. First come, first serve.

I';m not a member of u2.com but can imagine the responses galore on this one. So much for lining up early but it is still fun to do and make friends and what not. 3 hours priory is still a lot of time. I am assuming that this will happen in san diego for sure.

San Diego will have no GA Lottery and the first Leg will have no GA Lottery. The line will not be abused but you Bitch and Complain since you are not the one's in front of the Line. I was as high as #8 on the Elevation tour and my god you got to stop being Cry Babies.

Super_Fan said:
San Diego will have no GA Lottery and the first Leg will have no GA Lottery. The line will not be abused but you Bitch and Complain since you are not the one's in front of the Line. I was as high as #8 on the Elevation tour and my god you got to stop being Cry Babies.

Someone needs to chill out or get back on their meds..:eyebrow: :rolleyes:

Super_Fan said:
It will take away all the fun.

How will it take away all of the fun? The fun is being in the building, at the show, and a lottery's not going to exclude anyone from that.

I actually don't see what the problem is with a lottery. Heck, it would be a whole lot more convenient. I'm not fussed what they do, just as long as I get in the gig with the people I'm going with.

I must admit that I have never heard of this lottery thing and it seem a little confusing.
I have not seen U2 before but have seen Oasis and Bon Jovi using the GA system and although it is a rush for the best places to stand it worked ok as long as the fans at the front worked together to stop queue jumpers.

I have GA for Manchester and am planning to camp out so I can get at the front of the walkway/stage

Looking forward to 28th then we can see what is happening

Lisa

ramblin rose said:

I agree 100%, but don't forget that everybody deserve to see them as next as they can, and that can't happen like ET when almost all the shows were the same people on the line or into the hearth!

Don't kill me , but I have friends that couldn't see them into the heart, and they arrived early morning and there were the same people. But I have anothers 2 friends that were the firsts to enter into the hearth in the Miami kick off.

I whish you luck!!!
Maybe i could see you guys on 3rd leg...

no, no, no, no - no lottery please. Like it or not, the day long spent outside is part of the concert-experience, I've never been able to do it before and I don't want some people to ruin that experience for me. Sorry if it sounds selfish, but it's the way it's always been done, it doesn't need to change. If they were going to have a lottery system, they should have announced it before the tickets were sold.

Super_Fan said:

San Diego GA Line will be ran well and if you bitch or complaint you get a shovel right smack in your face. Too many Bitches and Bruce Springsteen/U2 GA fans that are Lazy. If you buy a GA ticket you know what you are getting into when it comes to attending the concert. Not a random Luck Fuck who tries a Lottery to go against everyone who comes to the arena before everyone else. Thats Life. First come, first serve.

Okay...The repeated threats of violence and all the profanity are a little much. Please calm down, and take a look at our forum rules if you have not done so.

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?action=faq

Super_Fan said:

The Lottery is not the equalizer. Its the equalizer to be lazy and cause confusion. It will take away all the fun. Its not going to happen starting in San Diego but if it starts up I will have to show up from show to show and end this Madness of Complaints and Lazy Bastards who can't take time off work. Have some Patience.

Ahem...there are people out there who may not be able to take time off work, but not because of laziness. Maybe their boss won't let them take the day off for whatever reason. (Where I work people are strongly discouraged from taking time off from October through December because it's such a busy time of year for us). Or they might have family responsibilities.

Last edited:
beatlesboy said:
With all the BS that went down with the ticket presale, I find it VERY hard to believe that U2 management will have anything to do with what goes on with the GA line up. I don't see it happening...

Good point-- I think they will want to stay clear of the whole thing. Leave it up to the arenas to manage.

U2Fanatic4ever said:

Someone needs to chill out or get back on their meds..:eyebrow: :rolleyes:

:lmao: i don't know if it's his syntax, capitalization style, or the content of the message...but he could definitely work on his delivery style...*shudder*

I don't totally mind the idea of a lottery system as long as it is a system where 2 people can get in with one number. I am going with my 11 year old son and would not allow us to be split up for even 5 minutes in a GA situation.

It would bother me however if we didn't know about it ahead of time. If u2.com announced that there is a lottery and this is the time it starts, etc. I would have no problem with it. But if a number of us spend all day at a venue and then have a lottery, that would be unfair...someone who was waiting hours could have a way worse number than someone who just walks up. That would be wrong on so many levels.

I think lining up is a fair way to decide the order. My experience in the elevation tour were overall good. Everyone seemed to respect the order the people arrived and no matter where the line formed or where it was moved throughout the day...everyone respected everyone else for the most part.

So either scenario is fine with me, I would just want to know about a lottery ahead of time.

If this is the case (and who knows if it is because there are so many rumors going around right now about the size, shape and all that of the shows), I'd assume that U2.com would post something about it to let people know not to show up at the venues too early and all that.

I'm still skeptical about this center of the room egg-shaped stage thing, anyway, because when I was trying to buy tickets top tier seats that would be behind an end-stage were $45 and top top seats facing an end stage were $90. If the stage was in the center of the room, thus easily seen by all, wouldn't all top-tier seats be the same price because none would have a rear or obstructed view?

You wouldn't be split up from your son or anyone your are going to the show with. When they do the drawing they pick ONE number, and it becomes the first one of the line, then the people behind just follow in order. For example if your number is 160 and they pick up 159, you will be the first person in line, and the person with the number 158 would be the last one.

If for some reason the first number picked up splits a group of two or three people, they will let the group go together. At least that's how it usually works with lotteries.

I agree it would be better if they announced the system in advance, although if they don't it's really only going to be a problem for the people going to the first show...

neutral said:

Okay...The repeated threats of violence and all the profanity are a little much. Please calm down, and take a look at our forum rules if you have not done so.

http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?action=faq

How can I get my point across. Should I reveal and give out the #'s of the people who started the GA Lottery Revolution due to Bruce Springsteen debacle? How about that. Its fair and people are just stupid when it comes to enjoying a show. You follow all the moral rules, but not cause confusion. My acts of posting profanity is directed at the people wanting GA Lottery because they have a disablity of getting to a show on time. I learned my lesson after I barely got into the heart, I camp out and I kept on doing that until the end of the tour. I said back a month ago in a thread to stop talking about this subject because of course nothing WILL BE DONE IF THERE IS A GA LOTTERY UNTIL THE 3rd LEG. If their boss can't give them time off, you make a good excuse. I am missing classes and a quiz going to the first show in San Diego. People can make time for anything if time allows it. You just make a good excuse to leave work for a day or two.

Back
Top Bottom