Lottery: Diehards not excited enough, therefore lottery in effect!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I have to agree alot with Chip and I have serious questions for Gabrielvox " has he slept with her?"

I agree with Chip that she is useless and does a horrible job with the line.

I was in Chicago and I can verify that what he said was true and that those running the line did a good job inspite of the fact that we got little or no help from allison in support with regular line and fan club lines or line cutters.

In September, we got more help from Jim the united center GM than we did from allison.

What made us mad in atlanta was the group who was using their 8 yr old kid as a ploy to get into the ellipse.

We saw them not beep and still get in on friday and on saturday they were garunteed by allison that they would get in again.

I have no problem with kids in the Ga, but these people had been to alot of concerts already and were using their kid to get them what they wanted, it wasn't about the kid.

Their as bad as the line cutters or those who cheat the system, and get around the rules.

They complained all day about everything, the line the people, the tour, even allison, and then they get in the ellipse both nights.

I guess for them it's all about the music and the message never gets through.

I was happy, number five in line, i didn't get beeped but got chips spot, very cool place...i was very happy...

I took my friend for his birthday, it would have been cool if he could have gotten in the ellipse, cause this is the only show he'll see...but inspite of all the crap about the line and who ended up were...we focused on the positives and had a good time...

But allison seriously needs to go...i mean she's so incompentent...lazy...useless, much like our government, she must be a Bush..

U2dork said:
Please explain your theory, Super Fan. I was there and was lucky enough to get scanned in. I don't think I noticed any rigging going on except that there were quite a few people around us getting lucky as well.

U2dork! Congrats on getting scanned in... must have been the shades! :wink: :up:

Ha! I think it was because I touched Miroslava for luck earlier in the day. :)

I have to say, I think I've changed my mind about the lottery system. I liked to think that it gave me a chance of getting into the ellipse when there were unforseen circumstances preventing me from arriving at the arena super early in the morning on Friday, but I think I realized it was really a shot in the foot. If there hadn't been a lotto, I still would have gotten a good rail spot because all of the people in front of me would have gone into the ellipse. Instead, I wound up sandwiched in about 8 rows off of the rail hardly able to see anything for the duration of that show.

So, yep, I've changed my mind.

gabrielvox said:

Hmm...I have mixed feelings about that. Im one of the die hards that used to be willing to line up first. Then I saw other die hards mining the fan sites for info, and showing up even before us other die hards to beat us to the punch. The lineups start earlier and earlier now, to the point where even the average fan who decides to take the day off work and camp out has little chance of being in the top 100. And the people in the top 20 are the same at every show..because they are there 48 hrs before a show :lol:

so, in short, even with the lottery system, its become quite ridiculous...the lottery system actually works so that those same 20 crazies dont end up at the front of the ellipse every show with their annoying signs...like:

see that's just it... people just go to the extreme by lining up early to the point where the concept of 'first come first served' is replaced by 'I've got more spare time than you do'. And I'll state again, that the person who drives 12+ hours to get to a show is just as die hard a fan as the one who is willing to stand in line for 12+ hours.... for me the lottery was THE ONLY reason that got me into the ellipse...

U2dork said:

I have to say, I think I've changed my mind about the lottery system. I liked to think that it gave me a chance of getting into the ellipse when there were unforseen circumstances preventing me from arriving at the arena super early in the morning on Friday, but I think I realized it was really a shot in the foot. If there hadn't been a lotto, I still would have gotten a good rail spot because all of the people in front of me would have gone into the ellipse. Instead, I wound up sandwiched in about 8 rows off of the rail hardly able to see anything for the duration of that show.

i lost ya there... :up: or :down: on the lottery?

U2dork said:

:lol:

Romi is my best customer. He's 4/4 getting in since he's rubbed the belly :wink:

I didnt scan in, but that's ok. I had the rail spot I wanted which is WHY I line up early. The ellipse as I have mentioned before is just cake as far as I am concerned. I have yet to be "mad" that I didn't win the lottery. Dissapointed for a brief second? Hell yeah, but who has time for that when you still need to go claim your spot?

And to clarify cause I just read Super Fan's "theory" my pissyness at Allison had nothing to do with the ellipse scanning process but rather the utter disregard she seems to have for us. I saw her be pissy at "her line guys" for the 9/21 when they gave up the line enforcing yet the day before she completely disregarded Tim when he tried to ask her a simple question (not asking for anything, no favors, nothing JUST clarification). She did the same thing to me in Atlanta II. I helped manage the line. I had heard that the line was not split at all the day before even though there were signs that indicated the lines would be split General GA vs U2.com Line.

At about 5:30 we had not seen ANYONE from security at all. We had not split the line since the general procedure is to wait until we get the word of WHAT exactly the venue will consider U2.com... is it just a pre-sale ticket? Is it a pre-sale ticket OR proof of U2.com membership? So I went and waited for her to finish her instructions to local security. She saw me and ignored me. Fine. She fianlly comes out at close to 6:00 bullhorn on hand and she gives me this dirty look and keeps walking and asks me what's up? I inform her that the line has NOT been split as we do not know what security was instructed. She dismissively tells me

"see the signs?"
"well yes, but what does that mean today? Just presale ticket or Presale ticket OR proof of U2.com membership?
"same thing it did yesterday. Read the signs"

Again, this was close to 6:00 PM. We decided to fine, we'll start splitting the line. As we start security tells us to STOP. A decision is made that U2.com means nothing. Fine. We can live with that. They start letting us line up into the corrals, but what do they do? They let just a FEW of us into the two U2.com lanes and a few into the general one. Then all of a sudden they stop letting people into the U2.com lanes and fill up the entire general corral and THEN take the remaining people and distribute them into the other 2. So what did that just do? Screw a lot of people that had lined up early and placed people that had arrived much later ahead of them....

Where was Allison? Who knows. Back of the line, though I didnt actually hear her use the bullhorn once.

Then dont get me started on how we were let on into the floor.

So bottom line. I personally was not affected by her incompetence, though a lot of people did and that is what pisses me off. When you help run the line, you feel extra responsible for those people you saw all day at the front of the lines and to see a few of them get screwed like that made me sick... :|

Chizip said:
i think a kid will be amazed with the show whether they are in the ellipse, back of the floor, or in a seat.
I like having kids in the ellipse. They're really short. They don't smoke and they don't dump beer on me. :D

While I'm a little more accepting now of the bands decision to have the lottery given that there really are a large number of people with the money and the time to go to every show on the tour, it was still a massive mistake for the band to only introduce the lottery on the day of the first show in San Diego.

By then, the entire tour had essentially been booked and soldout all the way through December. Fans took off work and made accomadation choices in order to prepare to camp out to get inside the Heart/Elipse. While accomodations could be canceled, many people are often stuck with the days they chose to take off from work. For most people on Elevation, it was about getting inside the heart, and not ones precise position inside or outside the heart. So once the lottery system was introduced, the value of lining up early for many became meaningless.

It would have been rather simple for the band and or management to have announced prior to the on sale ticket dates back in January, that entrence into the Heart/Elipse would not be on a first come first serve basis and would be determined by a lottery.

Looks like the Lottery is here to stay in North America as shows outside North America are in stadiums that have the two B-stage configeration and no elipse.

But if the band one day plays Stadiums again in North America, it will be interesting to see what the set up is, and if a lottery will be used or even needed.

Just to reiterate, I am not a fan of the lottery, but I also don't hate it. Despite what it may appear, I am pretty happy go lucky with whichever spot I EARN, just don't try to cheat me out of it or I get cranky :wink:

As far as the "large" number of people that follow the tour... like it has been said before, it really is not that large... I think I know maybe 1-2 people that will be at 40 some shows by the time the tour is over.

Maybe about 10-15 more that like I will be at the 15-20 shows for the entire tour. Is it excessive by some people's standards? Sure. I am fully aware of it. Still, it's not anything that a lot of people wouldn't do given the circumstances. :shrug:

So true atikicat..just don't take yours as a ploy to get in cause you know you have a slight chance your ticket will beep..

But Miroslova is right, allison is horrible, shows no regards for fans and shows poorly for the band she is paid to represent...

I'm tired of people in america who get paid alot and are given an important position and then decide it's easier to be lazy or a drunk and drop the ball on their responsibility....

People who don't care about others, as long as their getting what comes to them... piss on everyone else ...

what a sad comment on our lack of responsibility in this country..

Miroslava said:
Just to reiterate, I am not a fan of the lottery, but I also don't hate it. Despite what it may appear, I am pretty happy go lucky with whichever spot I EARN, just don't try to cheat me out of it or I get cranky :wink:

As far as the "large" number of people that follow the tour... like it has been said before, it really is not that large... I think I know maybe 1-2 people that will be at 40 some shows by the time the tour is over.

Maybe about 10-15 more that like I will be at the 15-20 shows for the entire tour. Is it excessive by some people's standards? Sure. I am fully aware of it. Still, it's not anything that a lot of people wouldn't do given the circumstances. :shrug:

But Paul McGuinness was refering to the large number of people who went from show to show on the Elevation tour getting into the Heart at each show which is why he says the lottery system was introduced.

With the lottery system, most of these fans have very little reason to line up if their only goal is to get inside the Elipse. In addition, the lottery may have caused some of these people to attend a smaller number of shows on this tour, perhaps selling or trading tickets that were already bought, and not attempting to get more tickets from brokers.

I guess your report that you don't see a large number of people going to dozens and dozens of shows, would indicate that Paul McGuinness's lottery strategy has indeed had an effect.

Chizip said:

in vegas she actually announced to the crowd that they could get into "the giant asshole they like to call the ellipse."

She said the same thing before Atlanta 2 which, maybe I was just about to lose my mind after 2 days of misery waiting in line and a lot of line bs that day, seemed inappropriate. :huh:

Echoing Miroslava's sentiments in terms of how things went that night I will just say it was VERY frustrating/upsetting/stressful for those of us near the front of the line and while of course I cannot 100% say she had something to do with all of it.....it is nearly impossible to imagine that she couldn't have prevented/alleviated it. :|

hef4u2 said:
So true atikicat..just don't take yours as a ploy to get in cause you know you have a slight chance your ticket will beep..
I don't have a kid, but I think the number of parents using their kid as a "ploy" to get in the ellipse is slim at best. There are far more fans sharing and reusing wristbands and in some cases bribing their way in the ellipse. Kids being "used" is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. Besides, me (5'3") and two hundred 8 year-olds in the ellipse would be heaven..oh, wait...that's Michael Jackson's heaven.:ohmy:

I apologize in advance for the generalization, but the overall tone of this thread is what embarrasses me about certain types of U2 fans. People are taking this stuff wayyyyyyyyyyy too seriously. It's all quite Spinal Tap.

Remember when Bono said "we don't want to be a cult band"? It's because he doesn't want psycho fans like some of you all ruining it for everyone else.

Just chill out and enjoy the show from wherever you happen to watch it. Sheesh!

hef4u2 said:
Well, I have to agree alot with Chip and I have serious questions for Gabrielvox " has he slept with her?"

See, Chizip sortof 'knows' me here, and he was joking.

You dont, and it doesnt seem like you are joking.

So my light hearted banter/arguement with you is over.

Slander is not treated lightly here, so I suggest you back off.

If you arent being serious in your inquiry, my apologies.

LyricalDrug said:
Just chill out and enjoy the show from wherever you happen to watch it. Sheesh!

:up:

It might be hard for them, because they have forgotten about the music. :|

I have had my moments of self pity this tour when I wasn't in the ellipse, but it only lasted until the confetti started falling. :D

I've seats for two shows and GA for six this tour. Out of the six I was inside the ellipse for three. It's all good. Yes, inside is amazing, but really just being in the goddamn building is what it is all about. (and I'm 5'3" and could see fine from the back)

The two most amazing shows I've seen this tour were MSG Oct 7th and Vegas 2, and I think the reason for that was the audience. U2 really do feed off the vibes they are feeling, and it makes a difference. :yes:

blessings, not just for the ones who kneel... luckily

don't forget to count your blessings. :heart:

U2dork said:

Wait a sec....Romi???

Tell me this isn't you...lol...

Im confused....you were unable to see anything being 8 rows off the rail?? Dude you taller than me!!

:wink:

gabrielvox said:

Wait a sec....Romi???

Tell me this isn't you...lol...

Im confused....you were unable to see anything being 8 rows off the rail?? Dude you taller than me!!

:wink:

Romi and U2dork are two different people Gabe.... and U2dork is a girl... and for some people, I can see why it would be difficult to see at even just 8 rows deep.

Last edited:
hey guys, do you know if this lottery is applied also in canada? I'm going to Ottawa early friday morning and i don't want to turn wacko if i show up early and don't get into the elipse!!!

panouf said:
hey guys, do you know if this lottery is applied also in canada? I'm going to Ottawa early friday morning and i don't want to turn wacko if i show up early and don't get into the elipse!!!

haha, yes, this lottery also applies in Canada. I think it's actually a good thing when it's -17 outside - it further deters people from lining up!

ladywithspinninghead said:

haha, yes, this lottery also applies in Canada. I think it's actually a good thing when it's -17 outside - it further deters people from lining up!

i'll be there at 9am with blankets and snow clothes! and i'm sure i'll get a good spot

Back
Top Bottom