Looking back... Was Milan the right choice for the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dusty Bottoms said:

Yeah come on Neilz, how dare you stay on topic!

It's kind of funny how everybody who got so defensive about Milan not being the best venue are all people who went to that show. A little biased perhaps :hmm: :wink:
I wasn't there and I think Milan is a better choice... everything, from the stadium shape and desing to beautiful Italian girls:wink: it was a good choice.

Well, as an unbiased observer, I look at this and I think it's pretty cool

2005%20-%20Vertigo%20Tour%2F2005-07-20%20-%20Milan%2F100-0083_IMG.JPG

Then I look at this venue and my jaw hits the floor :shocked:

panorama_tribuna_tevere.jpg

So speakly purely in terms of venue, (not crowd interaction, song performances, etc...) I think the Rome venue would have been a better backdrop for the DVD.

And yes I can tell that much just from looking at the pictures of the venues.

yeah I know what you mean... :hmm:
but I think, this time around, U2 wanted to make something a bit more intimate... we already have the Slane dvd, if they did Rome they would get the exact same feeling again... I think they went for a change, and I'm happy about their choice. I went to both Milan and Rome, and IMO Milan was much better (even though Bono's voice in Rome was just SPECTACULAR)

sraphim,

Both shows were great, I cant really say which was better (dont think that matter anyway..!).
Best moment has to before the first concert though, I had a kick about with some Inter fans right infront of where one of the goals are, which means I played football at the San Siro:wink:

Last night in Oslo was really different, Valle Hovin is a crap venue for concerts, cant compare it to SS.
Maybe they should have filmed the dvd here...

judging by all these pics, it doesnt matter, amsterdam or milan. its going to be one great DVD. That stage is awesome, they need to play some stadiums in the States.

yeah it doesn't really matter in the end :shrug: but the 20th was special to me (first u2 concert ever :up: ) so I hope they will choose that one for the dvd :D
I imagine it's pretty cold there in Oslo right now, how was it going from there to Milan?? there in SanSiro it was one hell of a hot week, even for me... :ohmy:

U2 live in Oslo
:hmm: that sounds good!! but I still prefer 'U2 live in SanSiro' :D
oh and btw, a lot of Italian singers/bands shot dvds in SanSiro; for example, Vasco, the most famous Italian singer (the only one whose audience we can compare to U2, here in Italy), filmed a show there :D

Last edited:
RademR said:
judging by all these pics, it doesnt matter, amsterdam or milan. its going to be one great DVD. That stage is awesome, they need to play some stadiums in the States.

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...and you need to fill those stadiums (just like ZooTV era):lol: I can't understand how USA didn't fully appreciate Popmart Tour. :(

sraphim said:
yeah it doesn't really matter in the end :shrug: but the 20th was special to me (first u2 concert ever :up: ) so I hope they will choose that one for the dvd :D
I had the feeling that this was your true reason for defending Milan... That's the difference between you and me maybe; I'm not defending Amsterdam just because I've been there... If Croke looked better to me, Croke would be my favorite for the DVD... :wink:

PS... How do you know if Milan was special if you have no other U2 live experience to compare it with? :eyebrow: :wink:

I have been to U2 in Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Nijmegen, Cologne, Brussels and London... And though my best experience was in the heart (Elevation) in Cologne, the show looked best in Amsterdam 3... The best show in total was Zoo-TV Rotterdam of course...

I know it's hard to believe that I'm not defending Amsterdam cause I've been there, but it's the truth though...

Neilz said:

PS... How do you know if Milan was special if you have no other U2 live experience to compare it with? :eyebrow: :wink:

I have been to U2 in Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Nijmegen, Cologne, Brussels and London... And though my best experience was in the heart (Elevation) in Cologne, the show looked best in Amsterdam 3... The best show in total was Zoo-TV Rotterdam of course...

I know it's hard to believe that I'm not defending Amsterdam cause I've been there, but it's the truth though...

Sorry Neilz but here I must support Sraphim... ...it was my 7th gig (1987 modena, 1993 Bologna 1/2, 1997 Reggio, 2001 Turin, 2001 Slane Mark 1..) and it was very special... ...I can assure you that the response of the crowd of Turin 2001 and Milan 2005 was much more intense than Slane 1 and a little bit more intense than Rome 2005.

cybersyd said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...and you need to fill those stadiums (just like ZooTV era):lol: I can't understand how USA didn't fully appreciate Popmart Tour. :(

They could quite easily fill stadiums in some US markets: NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, et cetera.

cybersyd said:
Sorry Neilz but here I must support Sraphim... ...it was my 7th gig (1987 modena, 1993 Bologna 1/2, 1997 Reggio, 2001 Turin, 2001 Slane Mark 1..) and it was very special... ...I can assure you that the response of the crowd of Turin 2001 and Milan 2005 was much more intense than Slane 1 and a little bit more intense than Rome 2005.
Funny.. Amsterdam was my 7th aswell :hug:

Axver said:
They could quite easily fill stadiums in some US markets: NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA, et cetera.
Of course they could... But would it be wise to bring the Eurigo stage to the States for such a small leg? Besides, the seats in the GA is not what U2 want's... Nothing wrong with the arena show...

Neilz said:

Of course they could... But would it be wise to bring the Eurigo stage to the States for such a small leg? Besides, the seats in the GA is not what U2 want's... Nothing wrong with the arena show...

I think they could sell out single stadium shows in other markets too, not just the ones I named. It's more the south where they'd have trouble. What I think they should do is play a mixture of arenas and stadiums like on the JT Tour - NYC in particular should have stadiums, but somewhere like Tampa or Omaha can only just sell out an arena.

But yeah, the arena show is absolutely AWESOME, and really, the arena setting DOES suit lighting purposes a lot better. Hopefully when they're back in the US, they'll stop this Vertigo x2 nonsense.

Axver said:

I think they could sell out single stadium shows in other markets too, not just the ones I named. It's more the south where they'd have trouble. What I think they should do is play a mixture of arenas and stadiums like on the JT Tour - NYC in particular should have stadiums, but somewhere like Tampa or Omaha can only just sell out an arena.

But yeah, the arena show is absolutely AWESOME, and really, the arena setting DOES suit lighting purposes a lot better. Hopefully when they're back in the US, they'll stop this Vertigo x2 nonsense.
Vertigo x2 is typical for the stadium shows... A lot more 'nonfans' among the 60.000 people each night who wanna hear the radio hit Vertigo...

If they'de do stadiums in the states; expect the Vertigo x2 :wink:

Has anyone got the accurate numbers of attendance in Amsterdam, Milan and Rome?

Neilz said:

Vertigo x2 is typical for the stadium shows... A lot more 'nonfans' among the 60.000 people each night who wanna hear the radio hit Vertigo...

If they'de do stadiums in the states; expect the Vertigo x2 :wink:

Then why didn't they play One twice on ZooTV? :wink:

U2Man said:
Has anyone got the accurate numbers of attendance in Amsterdam, Milan and Rome?

From this thread: http://forum.interference.com/t133961.html

45, 46, 47. Amsterdam, The Netherlands : July 13, 15-16, 2005 : Amsterdam Arena : GROSS $13,022,200 : ATTENDANCE 165,516 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

48. Zurich, Switzerland : July 18, 2005 : Stadion Letzigrund : GROSS $3,574,993 : ATTENDANCE 44,260 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

49, 50. Milan, Italy : July 20-21, 2005 : Stadio San Siro : GROSS $7,565,264 : ATTENDANCE 137,427 : SHOWS 2 : SELLOUTS 2

51. Rome, Italy : July 23, 2005 : Stadio Olimpico : GROSS $4,010,779 : ATTENDANCE 67,002 : SHOWS 1 : SELLOUTS 1

So Milan had the biggest crowd so far.....or....were there more people at Croke Park?

Edited: Ups sorry can see that myself in that other thread :)

Last edited:
U2Man said:
So Milan had the biggest crowd so far.....or....were there more people at Croke Park?
A single Milan date? Yes... But then Barcelona will beat Milan...

Total crowd per city? 3 x Amsterdam = 165,516 people...

U2Man said:

Croker wins that one!

36, 37, 38. Dublin, Ireland : June 24-25, 27, 2005 : Croke Park : GROSS $21,163,695 : ATTENDANCE 246,743 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

That's over 82,000 people each night! :shocked:

I think the venues with most attendance are as follows:

1. Barcelona - 90,000 a night
2. Croke - 82,000 a night
3. Milan - nearly 70,000 a night

Should have made the DVD there then! or at Nou Camp...90.000 people :drool: :drool: If only they had played two nights....that would have made a fantastic DVD.....

Axver said:
Croker wins that one!

36, 37, 38. Dublin, Ireland : June 24-25, 27, 2005 : Croke Park : GROSS $21,163,695 : ATTENDANCE 246,743 : SHOWS 3 : SELLOUTS 3

That's over 82,000 people each night! :shocked:
I think Nou Camp in Barcelona will beat the 82.000 :drool:

noucamp3.jpg

Neilz said:

I think Nou Camp in Barcelona will beat the 82.000 :drool:

noucamp3.jpg

That is going to be INSANE! :drool: :rockon:

I wonder if they'll set up the stage along the long side rather than one of the short ends like they did in Milan ...

Axver said:

I wonder if they'll set up the stage along the long side rather than one of the short ends like they did in Milan ...

My guess is, they will place it on the long side under that roof there....:wink:

Axver said:

CAMP NOU............:drool: .........the best stadium I have ever seen (in one of the most beautiful city in the world)..... ...I wondered the same Axver!!!

cybersyd said:
CAMP NOU............:drool: .........the best stadium I have ever seen (in one of the most beautiful city in the world)..... ...I wondered the same Axver!!!
I have been there on vacation once... The grand tour... Very VERY impressive indeed... (old though, but impressive)...

Really looking forward to the Vertigo pictures from that show... crowd+venue+vertigo of course :wink:

Back
Top Bottom