Let's Make A Deal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I've had enough of these threads about "stop complaining", "stop whining", "quit your bitching", "don't comment on a show if you haven't seen it", etc. etc.

I've also had enough of the threads saying "drop elevation", "pride sucks", "why don't they play heartland?"
etc. etc.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. this is a message board after all.

why don't we all just agree that:

1. U2 is not a band that has completely different setlists every night; they work out a basic framework and only then are small changes made. this is not a band that will go out on stage and pull "acrobat" out of their hats without at least 2-3 months of rehearsal.

2. U2 is one of the greatest live acts of all time; some would say the greatest live act touring today. catching them in concert is usually a magical experience. what they lack in variety and spotiniety, they make up for in raw emotion and connection with the audience. I feel lucky to be seeing them.

on a side note:

1. U2 are my favorite rock band of all time and I like their music the best.
2. bono is a nitwit for proclaiming out loud that "U2 is the greatest band in the world"; there is no such thing.

peace.

Well said, I think most people agree with your sentiment.

It's just a lot easier to say "Drop Elevation!"

than to say

"You know, I realize that U2 are a band that sticks with a basic framework of a setlist, and changes it or rearranges it such that it doesn't get stagnant and that fans get to hear the songs they want played. Seeing that the band only stick to certain rehearsed songs and I know there are so many slots open in any given setlist, in the interest of variancy, I wish they would play Gone and Drop Elevation!"

at least that's just me. I mean, I get what they do, I know why they do it, if or when I would ever say "I wish they would play song X, Y and Z, and drop songs A, B, and C, it's just conjecture from this fan" Also I think that we should be able to say whatever the hell we want.

THAT SAID- I will take this opportunity to VENT a few things

Which brings me finally to the only thing that bothers me on this forum. I can ignore a troll, or some twat who just wants to nitpick each and everything the band does, whatever, if I don't like what you are saying, I will ignore it or try to discuss it civilly.

What bothers me is the complaining about the complaining.
The sunshine pumpers on this board, who pretend that you shouldn't say anything remotely negative, and if you do, it is always excessive no matter if it's the first negative thing you've said in weeks or months (this has happened to me).

These people don't have the capacity to ignore, or maybe it's just an over sensitivity to the subject at hand. Get over it. U2 are not gods or even godlike, they are not infallable, and they do make mistakes. I love, love, love this band, I can acknowledge that which bothers me, and that which I love about them at the same time and still retain that LOVE that I have for this band.

That said, those who criticize the intentions of the band, and are clearly wrong do need scrutiny. Just reply and try to discuss, and if you can do it rationally, sometimes even those discussions can be fun.

Since this is the tour forum, why can't someone say, for example "Bono doesn't sound good on this tour"? Because it offends the senses of over zealous fans? Look, if you think Bono sounds great, then that is great, why do you care if someone isn't getting the joy out of it you are.

Music and art is to be digested and either enjoyed or dismissed.
If there is a given creative piece that you think is fabulous, then that is your gift. If someone disagrees, then that is their loss.

I don't like the song "Elevation" very much. I wish I did. Because that would be one more U2 song that I like that they are playing heavily on tour. Doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. But when someone says "Drop Zoo Station", I feel their empathy, I love Zoo Station. But it doesn't offend me when they say that.

I just say "your loss" and move on. The Red background on Streets is gone, I hate that. It's my loss, and everyone else's who agrees. Doesn't mean that I love U2 any less and it doesn't mean that I will censor myself to appease the sunshine pumpers.

I'm a nitwit, I keep saying U2 is the greatest band in the whole wide world.

:reject:

But the whole world is me, so what does anything matter.

:wink:

U2DMfan said:
What bothers me is the complaining about the complaining.
The sunshine pumpers on this board, who pretend that you shouldn't say anything remotely negative, and if you do, it is always excessive no matter if it's the first negative thing you've said in weeks or months (this has happened to me).

These people don't have the capacity to ignore, or maybe it's just an over sensitivity to the subject at hand. Get over it. U2 are not gods or even godlike, they are not infallable, and they do make mistakes. I love, love, love this band, I can acknowledge that which bothers me, and that which I love about them at the same time and still retain that LOVE that I have for this band.

That said, those who criticize the intentions of the band, and are clearly wrong do need scrutiny. Just reply and try to discuss, and if you can do it rationally, sometimes even those discussions can be fun.

Since this is the tour forum, why can't someone say, for example "Bono doesn't sound good on this tour"? Because it offends the senses of over zealous fans? Look, if you think Bono sounds great, then that is great, why do you care if someone isn't getting the joy out of it you are.

Music and art is to be digested and either enjoyed or dismissed.
If there is a given creative piece that you think is fabulous, then that is your gift. If someone disagrees, then that is their loss.

I don't like the song "Elevation" very much. I wish I did. Because that would be one more U2 song that I like that they are playing heavily on tour. Doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. But when someone says "Drop Zoo Station", I feel their empathy, I love Zoo Station. But it doesn't offend me when they say that.

I just say "your loss" and move on. The Red background on Streets is gone, I hate that. It's my loss, and everyone else's who agrees. Doesn't mean that I love U2 any less and it doesn't mean that I will censor myself to appease the sunshine pumpers.

I agree with every word.

xtal said:
I'm a nitwit, I keep saying U2 is the greatest band in the whole wide world.

:reject:

But the whole world is me, so what does anything matter.

:wink:

see, it's OK for YOU to say that; you're not in the band touting your own horn unnecessarily.

JOFO said:
I've had enough of these threads about "stop complaining", "stop whining", "quit your bitching", "don't comment on a show if you haven't seen it", etc. etc.

I've also had enough of the threads saying "drop elevation", "pride sucks", "why don't they play heartland?"
etc. etc.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. this is a message board after all.

why don't we all just agree that:

1. U2 is not a band that has completely different setlists every night; they work out a basic framework and only then are small changes made. this is not a band that will go out on stage and pull "acrobat" out of their hats without at least 2-3 months of rehearsal.

2. U2 is one of the greatest live acts of all time; some would say the greatest live act touring today. catching them in concert is usually a magical experience. what they lack in variety and spotiniety, they make up for in raw emotion and connection with the audience. I feel lucky to be seeing them.

on a side note:

2. bono is a nitwit for proclaiming out loud that "U2 is the greatest band in the world"; there is no such thing.

peace.

I'm so sick of people complaining about the complainers. ;)

peace. [/B]

quite a stupid summary -- im glad I stopped by.

I'd like to complain about complainers who complain when other complainers try to make peace with the compaliners who are complaining about the peace-makers complaining.

It really irks me.

Seriously though - point taken JOFO. I agree.

JOFO said:

etc. etc.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. this is a message

I wrote a post like this regarding the elipse entry policy on u2.com and it led to a simplistic string of personal attacks. I told people I wasn't going to stop complaining about the entry policy and if people didn't like it, to f-in bad, they don't have to read it or respond to it. Of course they followed my advice :no:.

I agree with you. If you don't like what someone's complaining about, post a response that has more to say than "stop complaining", or don't post anything. Intellectual debate should not turn into a contest of how many like the complaint versus how many don't. "What's the quality of the complaint?" is the relevant question to me.

And in terms of the setlist, my opinion is that it's U2s choice. They're here to enjoy themselves as much as to entertain the fans so I'm gonna let them have fun. I guess it'd be inconsistent to tell others not to complain about it, but I think some people don't understand that U2 are not a catering service.

Jon

Last edited:
Re: Re: Let's Make A Deal

RealXJT said:

quite a stupid summary -- im glad I stopped by.

don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Back
Top Bottom