Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done yet...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Enough with the "Red Streets Opener". God, can't the band do something new without everyone bitching?

I thought the Africa stuff was a nice change of pace. They did the "Red Thing" for enough tours.

theu2fly said:
I predict a riot in this thread... but commense...

The Vertigo tour was probably U2's biggest back to the basics tour, with the technology that they wanted to do since the days of ZOOTV and POPMART. The material on 'Bomb' was and still is strong, showing a matured U2, but still knew how to kick it strong.

What was the best of the Vertigo tour? Aside from 'Where The Streets Have No Name' and 40, here is what I believe to be the best;

-=-=-=-=[BEST BITS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

6. Reaching more of the world, since 1993 and 1998. Let's face it, who would hate to wait 8 years to see a concert? I know I wouldn't... and many places got to see U2 perform again. Japan, Brussels, Milan, just a few of the places that got to see, and will see U2. By the time U2 is done, they will have been to almost every place on earth, (or is that, Last Night On Earth?)

-=-=-=-=[CONS OF THE VERTIGO TOUR]=-=-=-=-

1. No Solid closer -- a constant problem, but makes for a good guessing game, and can piss off anyone. It feels much like the POPMART tour, we've seen our share of closers, such songs as Vertigo, Bad, With Or Without You, 40, All I Want Is You -- yet not a single one could stay as the closer. Maybe perhaps this is the reason why U2 chose Vertigo again, had they found themselves in a fickle?

2. Transitions... Most arguably, amongst all U2 fans, is the transition of Pride into Where The Streets Have No Name -- comparitively weak, and lacks that punch, or emotional thrust you crave. With Bad, during the Elevation tour, Streets reached a new height, and to this day, Streets live from Boston 01 is considered the best Streets to date.

3. Poor reception to older songs. Come on, people standing still during Electric Co?

4. Rambling, and Africa. Forgive me, but while Bono talks about the conditions in Africa, others, including members of the band check their pulse. Though it's passionate, it may not be the right place for it, but advertising pays in America. Bono said those exact words in 2001. And what was up with all the African flags during Streets? Perhaps the next tour will feature red, house lights and a new surprise to it.

Dude 1st like people said , u put Electric Co as a pro and con ??? That doesn't make sense. also about this songs , in places like Brazil people were really really disappointed that it wasn't played , specially after seein the ressurection of this song , and edge on fire......

About ur comment #2 , I'm sorry but I can only guess u're american . and also BTW Chicago version of streets to me beat up Boston's , that moment in the end between adam and bono , and that bono yell that's just immortal.

BTW if u find it the transition weak , why don't u go to watch if u got a chance the ones of the South American concerts ou Europeans ?

About African Flags , well u get perhaps u2's best song , a song people will remember and put something u want people's attention , I think only this already explained . The thing is if u're gonna do something , whatever is it , at least if possible do it for a good cause , and what's a better cause than Africa ? I wonder if they had put something like "Fight Terrorism" americans would've gone totally like this is the best thing ever of the tour.

Chrisedge said:
Enough with the "Red Streets Opener". God, can't the band do something new without everyone bitching?

I thought the Africa stuff was a nice change of pace. They did the "Red Thing" for enough tours.

To a certain degree I agree with you. I dont fault U2 for trying something different with Streets. However, I think they missed an oppurtunity to make something that was standard on prior tours simply incredible on this tour. Can you imagine how cool the curtain lights would have looked lite up in the bright red? Imagine the stadium screen lite up the same way. The whole venue would have literally been drenched in the red hue. Then have the curtains and/or the stadium screen flash like the lightning flashes when Edge starts playing guitar. It could have been one of those super goose bump moments IMO. :shrug:

Re: Re: Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done yet...

J_NP said:
I wonder if they had put something like "Fight Terrorism" americans would've gone totally like this is the best thing ever of the tour.

Yeah.

Keep wondering, genius :rolleyes:

Last edited:
theu2fly said:

4. Discotheque -- perhaps the song that U2 wanted to perform, but was afraid to during Elevation, due to poor reception. U2 played Discotheque 2 times, and both times they were excellent versions.

Uh.....they played Discotheque 18 times on Elevation.

:scratch:

Blue Room said:

To a certain degree I agree with you. I dont fault U2 for trying something different with Streets. However, I think they missed an oppurtunity to make something that was standard on prior tours simply incredible on this tour. Can you imagine how cool the curtain lights would have looked lite up in the bright red? Imagine the stadium screen lite up the same way. The whole venue would have literally been drenched in the red hue. Then have the curtains and/or the stadium screen flash like the lightning flashes when Edge starts playing guitar. It could have been one of those super goose bump moments IMO. :shrug:

Well, i dont remember about the Arenas but I know at the end of Streets in Stadiums the screen turned completetly red, so they did knid of take advantage of it:shrug:,

It was amzing though, one of the most memorable parts of the concerts in a stadium.

jimjam said:

Well, i dont remember about the Arenas but I know at the end of Streets in Stadiums the screen turned completetly red, so they did knid of take advantage of it:shrug:,

It was amzing though, one of the most memorable parts of the concerts in a stadium.

We got the flags of Africa in the U.S. I thought Europe was the same. Guess I was wrong. Looking forward to seeing that on the Milan DVD then.

Blue Room said:

We got the flags of Africa in the U.S. I thought Europe was the same. Guess I was wrong. Looking forward to seeing that on the Milan DVD then.

Everywhere had flags , in 1st , 2nd and 3rd leg were the ones of Africa , but in the stadium concerts such as in the S. America , in the end of streets on edge's 2nd solo , the red thing would come back.

theu2fly said:
I , and Original still hasn't been played the band wants it to. They'll get it right next tour.

Listen to Amsterdam 3.:drool:
They know how to play it... they just need the keyboard player on stage, so Edge can play the guitar....
....quite a unique experience, having Terry Lawless on stage playing the keys.... For the US leg U2 decided against Terry playing on stage.... Why not? is the question.... perhaps food for a new thread??

Re: Re: Let's agree 2 disagree... Vertigo was the Best And Worst tour U2's done yet...

bono_man2002 said:

1.Tell me how this is a Con?, Bono said at the start of the tour that there would be "no standard setlist", while we knew that wouldnt be the case...No standard closer was a great idea.

...When you read Willie's diaries from the rehearsals it appeared that after the first run throughs of Setlist A and Setlist B, the chemistry between the band and the songs wasn't there.. It didn't work the way they wanted it to work... so, U2 decided not to use a rotating setlist.. Simple as that.. I think they are right; they've been around for a long time and they know what communicates and what communicates less well... :shrug:

Blue Room said:

Europe had flags at the beginning as well, but the crowd usually went nuts during Streets and it was amazing to see the whole place covered in red as they were calming down towards the end of the song.:drool:

wtonis said:

Listen to Amsterdam 3.:drool:
They know how to play it... they just need the keyboard player on stage, so Edge can play the guitar....
....quite a unique experience, having Terry Lawless on stage playing the keys.... For the US leg U2 decided against Terry playing on stage.... Why not? is the question.... perhaps food for a new thread??

Am I wrong or was Amsterdam 3 , the 1st time they played original with Edge on guitar ? If it was is practically the same of in milan , though is a good version it's still not the ultimate , they still can't make it sound as good as it did on the album .

Besides why the hell Edge doesn't play those really great riffs at 2:23 ? :scratch:

jimjam said:

Europe had flags at the beginning as well, but the crowd usually went nuts during Streets and it was amazing to see the whole place covered in red as they were calming down towards the end of the song.:drool:

That's right not only in Europe but in S. America like I had sayed.....

Everywhere had flags , in 1st , 2nd and 3rd leg were the ones of Africa , but in the stadium concerts such as in the S. America , in the end of streets on edge's 2nd solo , the red thing would come back.

jimjam said:

OK, I was talking about the intro only. Thats the only time you would have the lightning flashes when Edge hits the guitar riff and I think that would have looked cool on the Euro screen and curtain lights. The crowd always goes nuts for Streets every tour regardless. I just think the intro lacked the punch it usually has on this tour, plus Pride as the lead in song just doesnt work IMO. The Vertigo tour version of Streets is probably my least favorite from all tours as result of both of those factors. I think the African flag things was a good idea. Do that at the end of the song though.

Gotta disagree with ya mate , to me Streets vertigo unlike some old songs , was fresh again , not just coz it's streets the song always work . I mean the version of chicago like I said despite poor participation of the audience like people here said , to me is better than slane and boston .

Don't think its the worst ever, that would be reserved for Jessica Simpson, her weird looking sister. However, it wasn't their strongest tour, it just didn't get any better during Elevation when the lads came out with the LIGHTS ON! We will see what the fall brings.

J_NP said:
Gotta disagree with ya mate , to me Streets vertigo unlike some old songs , was fresh again , not just coz it's streets the song always work . I mean the version of chicago like I said despite poor participation of the audience like people here said , to me is better than slane and boston .

What was fresh again, the flags? Musically it wasnt any different than Elevation. :shrug: Just curious what tours prior to Vertigo did you attend? Going off videos is no indication of the feel of the crowd and the show when you are actually there. Especially with the Streets opener. :shrug:

I guess we will agree to disagree on that.

Amsterdam 3 was great! better than the Brussels concert, but that was more than ok too!

40 for closing, oots with Terry on stage, Miss Sarajevo with the first time aria of Bono, the big man carrying Bono around, that was spontaneus....

bono thinking edge finally agreed to change nyd, and edge walking up to bono explaining it was a slip of his hand....a mistake:)

Less: the old songs werent well recognized. Also a bit of a good thing: u2 keeps collecting new fans. (unlike the stones they make new history with evrey album in my opinion)

Also less: concerts of 2 plus hours are to short if you have a zillion good songs to choose from .......

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Strong points:

Bono's voice. He hasn't sounded this good in years.

Im sorry, have to disagree with that. Ive seen them 3 times this tour, and he did sound ok, but I think its quite hard to judge whilst at the concert. On the Cicago DVD he sounds shocking. He gets away with it for the first few songs, but just listen to him singing SYCMIOYO. "Listen to me now" no thanks, that is the worst I have ever heard Bono sing. Ever.

Blue Room said:

What was fresh again, the flags? Musically it wasnt any different than Elevation. :shrug: Just curious what tours prior to Vertigo did you attend? Going off videos is no indication of the feel of the crowd and the show when you are actually there. Especially with the Streets opener. :shrug:

I guess we will agree to disagree on that.

Well mate I realize that u won't take this in relevance , but for instance edge and adam were using different guitars . Edge didn't sound exactly different but for the ones who pay a bit more attention u can hear some things and adam he's soundin different , that is for sure , well at least in the stadium concerts I could hear.

About previous tours I watched , unfortunately none , vertigo was my 1st one , guess it's one more reason I'm gonna defend it anyway .

And about the whole thing of the crowd , well actually I'm just going along with the wave , it's a bit of consensus here chicago audience wasn't the best , well one thing for sure except for the people inside the ellipse and around it , there weren't many people jumpin to it no. .

J_NP said:

Well mate I realize that u won't take this in relevance , but for instance edge and adam were using different guitars . Edge didn't sound exactly different but for the ones who pay a bit more attention u can hear some things and adam he's soundin different , that is for sure , well at least in the stadium concerts I could hear.

About previous tours I watched , unfortunately none , vertigo was my 1st one , guess it's one more reason I'm gonna defend it anyway .

And about the whole thing of the crowd , well actually I'm just going along with the wave , it's a bit of consensus here chicago audience wasn't the best , well one thing for sure except for the people inside the ellipse and around it , there weren't many people jumpin to it no. .

I'm curious, how did Adam sound different? Was he playing a different bass line? I certainly didnt hear that, but I'm no musician either. From the recordings I have heard Elevation and Vertigo Streets are almost identical. I'm just not sure how the few very minor things you pointed out make it fresh again. Like I said, we will agree to disagree on it I guess.

Not sure what you are referring to with the Chicago DVD. I was talking about Streets on prior tours since you had indicated you thought it was fresh again on Vertigo compared to other tours. I was saying if you are basing that off of video only, its just not a good indicator compared to actually being there. Thats all.

NamelessStreets said:
U2girl said:
Strong points:

Bono's voice. He hasn't sounded this good in years.

Im sorry, have to disagree with that. Ive seen them 3 times this tour, and he did sound ok, but I think its quite hard to judge whilst at the concert. On the Cicago DVD he sounds shocking. He gets away with it for the first few songs, but just listen to him singing SYCMIOYO. "Listen to me now" no thanks, that is the worst I have ever heard Bono sing. Ever.
gotta disagree with you sorry, bono imo sounded at his worst during popmart and some elevation shows, bono is actually singing this tour, if you want to use a comparrison rather than the chigago DVD try downloading either sao paulo or BA, or even some different shows from the 1st and second legs,

but just my opinion

Blue Room said:

I'm curious, how did Adam sound different? Was he playing a different bass line? I certainly didnt hear that, but I'm no musician either. From the recordings I have heard Elevation and Vertigo Streets are almost identical. I'm just not sure how the few very minor things you pointed out make it fresh again. Like I said, we will agree to disagree on it I guess.

Not sure what you are referring to with the Chicago DVD. I was talking about Streets on prior tours since you had indicated you thought it was fresh again on Vertigo compared to other tours. I was saying if you are basing that off of video only, its just not a good indicator compared to actually being there. Thats all.

No , no I believe I did express myself wrong or lacked some words , what I meant wasn't only the musical part , I mean Streets is fresh again on this tour coz we have differences , the light system is different , not only bono does move around , also he doesn't do that same run of elevation , in a nutshell it's a different perfomance . It's a different feeling. What I did try to say , now I see the word 'fresh' wasn't exactly the one I was searching , I mean like I said streets is a song that works in every tour , every concert no matter what . U see what I mean , I didn't mean previous Streets were bad , they all are great , differently great .

What I really tried to say it's that it's awesome they keep it great , or maybe even improve it on Vertigo , perhaps not so much musically but terms of perfomance . U see it's like a challenge , like u do a song and it's good on every tour , I mean what's we are going to do for next tour , how are we keeping it good or maybe even better , I believe they did sucess on this . That's what I would call 'keep it fresh' , ya know ?

I only had two cons for the Vertigo Tour.

1. The songs One and Streets took on a more specific approach when connecting with the audience. Two very powerful songs subjectively for myself, were shaped into something else entirely on this tour. Not really a bad thing, but I didn't connect in the way I wanted to. U2 made the Africa and debt relief connection with these songs for us.

2. Like some people have said, the Pride/Streets combo was not as smooth as it could of been. And actually, this does tie into my earier point about connecting with songs. Some songs are really great at the whole universal message approach. Streets was really awesome at the Superbowl after MLK and the banner with the victims names scrolling on it. It was an excellent connection. Africa/Streets sent me like a rocket into space. It still rocked. It only took me to the moon though. :wink: Where as Elevation Streets sent me to Mars. :drool:

Purely subjective comments really.

This Tour had a ton of great moments and I loved it better than Elevation.

Bono's vocals were excellent this tour, listen to the Sao Paulo version of "With Or Without You" after Bono is done holding the girl, he sings his falsettos with no problems!

I compared Boston's Beautiful Day to Chicago's Beautiful Day. Two indoor first leg concerts from their respectful tours. Bono is much stronger in the high parts from Chicago. I am mystified how Bono sounds 8 years younger when his voice should be 4 years older.

Yeah, Bono's voice is a great highlight itself from the VT.

Roland of Gilead said:
I compared Boston's Beautiful Day to Chicago's Beautiful Day. Two indoor first leg concerts from their respectful tours. Bono is much stronger in the high parts from Chicago. I am mystified how Bono sounds 8 years younger when his voice should be 4 years older.

Yeah, Bono's voice is a great highlight itself from the VT.

Bono definitely got some vocal coaching for this tour, he probably felt down during the Elevation tour. Or that he felt fans really wanted him to perform some songs better... either way, Bono sounded great, compared to Elevation.

I would say the versions of "Still Haven't Found..." are comparable to Popmart, Bono's vocals were smooth, but during Elevation, he struggled on every note...

bono_man2002 said:
Bono's voice definitly is not in top form for the Chicago DVD, but for most of the tour he's been on song.

He needs bigger glasses of tea with lemon! :laugh:

I do agree though, I think overall Bono's vocals were stronger on Vertigo over Elevation and definately Popmart. Once Popmart got rolling I think musically (as in how they were playing as a band) it was one of their top tours, but Bono's vocals never matched the way the band was playing on that tour unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom