Lame fans inside the Ellipse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another Day

The Fly
This past weekend, we had GA Floor tickets for both San Jose shows, and I was crapping my pants, PRAYING that we'd get into the Ellipse at least ONCE.... well, I'll be a monkey's uncle, we got in TWICE!! Holy mackerel, what were the chances.

So, needless to say, my friend and I were so friggin' jacked that we were jumping around like complete buffoons when that red and black U2 logo flashed on the laptop computer screen after they scanned our tickets.

I think I jumped about 10 feet in the air and screamed "YEAH!!!", pumping my fist and rubbing it in to all the other poor fans around us that didn't win (no offense, don't be sore at me, blame Bill Gates).

Well, we got to the SJ Arena early, so we were some of the first people inside the Ellipse... maybe 30 people were already there when we jumped in.... so, of course, we ended up right near the front rail, 2nd row back, between Bono and Edge. A better spot was hardly possible. We were on a natural high, totally pumped.

Anyone who was inside the Heart last time, or inside the Ellipse this time can tell you what an amazing atmosphere exists in there... everyone is ecstatic, everyone is friendly, everyone is open, pure and joyous. You could walk up to complete strangers, say 'Congratulations!' and hug them, and they wouldn't think you're a complete nutter or rapist.

I spent about 30 minutes each night just walking around inside the Ellipse meeting people, taking their pictures and exchanging email addresses. If you're a single guy inside the Ellipse, you can get laid by a cute U2 chick easily, no prob. It's how I imagine Woodstock was back in '68, except without the bad acid and Sha-Na-Na as an opening act.

Anyway, I love to jump around a lot and sing until my voice gives out. Most real U2 fans are that way, aren't they? I can't sing worth shit, but who cares, how hard is it to yell "whoo hooo!" during 'Elevation', right?

I jokingly warn everyone around me that I get very sweaty during U2 concerts from all the pogoing I do, so either they should pogo with me, move away or enjoy getting a sponge bath from my soaking War Tour t-shirt.

I'm not worried about this crowd, though, because everyone inside the Ellipse seems to be a hardcore U2 fan. Now, I've only been to one U2 show (out of the 19 I have seen), where nearly the whole audience was singing and dancing throughout the entire set, and that was in Edinburgh, Scotland in '87... 50,000 drunken Scots, everyone yelling and singing every word to every song.. incredible. But, this Ellipse crowd seems like it's ready to blast off, such was the pre-show excitement.

Well, U2 comes on, and me and my friends go crazy. Jumping and singing, like we are shot out of a cannon. Most of the others around us are the same way... totally into it and losing their minds.

However, unfortunately, there were more than a few dolts in the Ellipse near our spots who were the lamest friggin' fans I'd ever seen.

These people spent most of the show(s) just standing there, not singing, more worried about being pushed out of their spot by us madmen than enjoying the greatest rock band in world history playing 5 feet in front of them.

This one old fart next to me spent half the show trying to protect his wife from us, using his elbows to jam us as we jumped around, and planting his feet firmly on the floor, as if to say, "You ain't gonna make me move, boys!"

I'd talked to these people before the show began, and they seemed really cool. But, what the hell were they doing in the front row of the Ellipse if they were just going to stand there like trees flapping in the wind?

Hey, I totally relate to the mellow dudes who just want to watch the show calmly and quietly, that's cool. Stand in the back of Ellipse and chill there with all the space you want and enjoy the spectacle, no prob, I've done it myself.

But, if you're in the most sought-after spot in the entire country on that particular night, you'd better expect a little motion in there. You're at a U2 concert, fer chrissakes, not the James Taylor Unplugged special, show some damn life.

What are you doing near the front of the Ellipse anyway if you're just going to stand there and try to play linebacker against everyone else pogoing around you? Go get some sit-down tickets next time, you boring bastard.

Maybe I should be more respectful of all these old people. Hell, I'm 38 already, nearly time to kick the bucket myself.

I'd understand it if U2 was playing 'Running To Stand Still' twenty times in a row, but they're out there banging us over the head with some of the greatest rock anthems every created by Man, with the legendary Edge on one side of you crunching and smashing his guitar in front of your face, and a future Nobel Peace Prize winner standing on the other side of you belting his lungs out to one classic song after another.

Don't just stand there, do something!

Or, better yet, do us all a favor and get the hell out of the way.

PS. If they actually played 'Running To Stand Still" twenty times in row, I'd still yell and scream and pogo from beginning to end, I'm not a set-list nazi.

Thanks for listening, I feel better already.

Another Day said:
This past weekend, we had GA Floor tickets for both San Jose shows, and I was crapping my pants, PRAYING that we'd get into the Ellipse at least ONCE.... well, I'll be a monkey's uncle, we got in TWICE!! Holy mackerel, what were the chances.

So, needless to say, my friend and I were so friggin' jacked that we were jumping around like complete buffoons when that red and black U2 logo flashed on the laptop computer screen after they scanned our tickets.

I think I jumped about 10 feet in the air and screamed "YEAH!!!", pumping my fist and rubbing it in to all the other poor fans around us that didn't win (no offense, don't be sore at me, blame Bill Gates).

Well, we got to the SJ Arena early, so we were some of the first people inside the Ellipse... maybe 30 people were already there when we jumped in.... so, of course, we ended up right near the front rail, 2nd row back, between Bono and Edge. A better spot was hardly possible. We were on a natural high, totally pumped.

Anyone who was inside the Heart last time, or inside the Ellipse this time can tell you what an amazing atmosphere exists in there... everyone is ecstatic, everyone is friendly, everyone is open, pure and joyous. You could walk up to complete strangers, say 'Congratulations!' and hug them, and they wouldn't think you're a complete nutter or rapist.

I spent about 30 minutes each night just walking around inside the Ellipse meeting people, taking their pictures and exchanging email addresses. If you're a single guy inside the Ellipse, you can get laid by a cute U2 chick easily, no prob. It's how I imagine Woodstock was back in '68, except without the bad acid and Sha-Na-Na as an opening act.

Anyway, I love to jump around a lot and sing until my voice gives out. Most real U2 fans are that way, aren't they? I can't sing worth shit, but who cares, how hard is it to yell "whoo hooo!" during 'Elevation', right?

I jokingly warn everyone around me that I get very sweaty during U2 concerts from all the pogoing I do, so either they should pogo with me, move away or enjoy getting a sponge bath from my soaking War Tour t-shirt.

I'm not worried about this crowd, though, because everyone inside the Ellipse seems to be a hardcore U2 fan. Now, I've only been to one U2 show (out of the 19 I have seen), where nearly the whole audience was singing and dancing throughout the entire set, and that was in Edinburgh, Scotland in '87... 50,000 drunken Scots, everyone yelling and singing every word to every song.. incredible. But, this Ellipse crowd seems like it's ready to blast off, such was the pre-show excitement.

Well, U2 comes on, and me and my friends go crazy. Jumping and singing, like we are shot out of a cannon. Most of the others around us are the same way... totally into it and losing their minds.

However, unfortunately, there were more than a few dolts in the Ellipse near our spots who were the lamest friggin' fans I'd ever seen.

These people spent most of the show(s) just standing there, not singing, more worried about being pushed out of their spot by us madmen than enjoying the greatest rock band in world history playing 5 feet in front of them.

This one old fart next to me spent half the show trying to protect his wife from us, using his elbows to jam us as we jumped around, and planting his feet firmly on the floor, as if to say, "You ain't gonna make me move, boys!"

I'd talked to these people before the show began, and they seemed really cool. But, what the hell were they doing in the front row of the Ellipse if they were just going to stand there like trees flapping in the wind?

Hey, I totally relate to the mellow dudes who just want to watch the show calmly and quietly, that's cool. Stand in the back of Ellipse and chill there with all the space you want and enjoy the spectacle, no prob, I've done it myself.

But, if you're in the most sought-after spot in the entire country on that particular night, you'd better expect a little motion in there. You're at a U2 concert, fer chrissakes, not the James Taylor Unplugged special, show some damn life.

What are you doing near the front of the Ellipse anyway if you're just going to stand there and try to play linebacker against everyone else pogoing around you? Go get some sit-down tickets next time, you boring bastard.

Maybe I should be more respectful of all these old people. Hell, I'm 38 already, nearly time to kick the bucket myself.

I'd understand it if U2 was playing 'Running To Stand Still' twenty times in a row, but they're out there banging us over the head with some of the greatest rock anthems every created by Man, with the legendary Edge on one side of you crunching and smashing his guitar in front of your face, and a future Nobel Peace Prize winner standing on the other side of you belting his lungs out to one classic song after another.

Don't just stand there, do something!

Or, better yet, do us all a favor and get the hell out of the way.

PS. If they actually played 'Running To Stand Still" twenty times in row, I'd still yell and scream and pogo from beginning to end, I'm not a set-list nazi.

Thanks for listening, I feel better already.
belive it or not some people just like to absorb the atmosphere of the music and being in GA

I agree. Not everyone freaks out in the heart or in the ellipse like some people do. It's great that you enjoy it the way that you do, but the 'old farts' as you call them were enjoying the show in their own way by taking in the atmosphere and music as Kuefco9u2 had said.

So continue enjoying the show the way that you do! It's great! But don't get upset if 'some old farts' are just standing there and enjoying it completely different from you. Let them enjoy it in their own way, just like they are letting you enjoy it in your own way. Some people have a personal bubble and you need to respect that.

Glad you had a good time in the ellipse both nights though. Hopefully I can get into it when I see them in Omaha.

Last edited:
"Personal bubble" ?

Are you kidding me?

Man, you haven't been to many GA U2 shows, have you.

You should have been to the opening gigs on the PopMart tour. Rage Against The Machine was the opening band. Many people's "personal bubbles" were popped that day, as well as the first 35 rows of plastic seats that were destroyed after their 30 minute set was done.

Hopefully, if you get into the Ellipse in Omaha, the crowd there will be nice and calm, and no one brushes up against you.

May your personal bubble be strong and elastic.

Another Day said:
Oh, so you're the one

What a ridiculous comment IMO.
Maybe you would have had a better time than worrying and looking around at someone who wasn't jumping as high as you or screaming as loud as you. Enjoy the show, and let other's enjoy the show in their own way.

What an absurd riposte:

"Enjoy the show, and let other's enjoy the show in their own way."

Uh, that's exactly what I always do.

However, if you go back and re-read my original post (I know it's a lot of words), you will discover that my main complaint is against people who wanted to elbow us around because we were "enjoying the show in our own way".

Capiche?

Man, you U2 fans here are SERIOUS!

Didn't win the lottery, did you.

Another Day said:
Oh, so you're the one
actually no am not, i do like to go nuts or whatever, but i also have respect for the people that just like to enjoy the show without jumping up and down every five minutes,

and to call them "old farts" is just stupid,

Another Day said:
What an absurd riposte:

However, if you go back and re-read my original post (I know it's a lot of words), you will discover that my main complaint is against people who wanted to elbow us around because we were "enjoying the show in our own way".

Capiche?

Man, you U2 fans here are SERIOUS!

Didn't win the lottery, did you.
wow your sure giving ALOT of abuse for such a new person, maybe you should go away and learn to respect other people opinions

To call me "stupid" is just retarded.

Somehow, I figured that it wasn't really you elbowing me last Sunday night, considering that you're from Liverpool, and this guy was from Sunnyvale.

Clever me.

Another Day said:
To call me "stupid" is just retarded.

Somehow, I figured that it wasn't really you elbowing me last Sunday night, considering that you're from Liverpool, and this guy was from Sunnyvale.

Clever me.
no i didnt call you stupid, i called your comment stupid

Look who's talking, old one.

Are you one of those set-list nazis, or one of those line-nazis? I met a couple of you types in line on Saturday, rather a sad bunch.

Most of them didn't get into the Ellipse, either.

Karma?

Are they still doing the lottery or has that changed? I went to the opening night in San Diego and thought that was a great idea. Last night in Glendale I got to the arena WAY late and didn't see anyone being scanned. I called the box office today and the lady really had no clue what she was talking about, but says it's first come first serve. Anyone have any insight?

-Waz

I would call myself 'hardcore' - however I wouldnt / won't be jumping around either - and surley at the front is the best place to soak up the atmosphere....maybe you wont remeber as much if your continually jumping around.

Another Day said:

========================================

Did it occur to you that in your "own way" of enjoying the show by "pogo-ing" may include knocking your sweaty screaming self into others who don't want to engage in Animal House behavior? I don't see how that's allowing people to enjoy the show in their own way. I don't blame that guy for protecting his wife from a bunch of grown men jumping around like apes. I fully intend on jumping and singing and yelling - IN MY SPACE - but if I was standing still and some sweaty goon was jumping and smacking into me while I'm trying to enjoy the greatest band on earth, I'd kick him in his fucking face. Just my 2c.

Hey Another Day...
Why not just be respectful?
Just because they aren't thrashing in the Ellipse, doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the show in their own way. Maybe you should have moved to the back to do your thrashing....ever thought of that?

Self-entitlement...what??? I jump around - so I am a better fan - or is it I stand around so I am a better fan - for God's sake just enjoy yourself and let people do what they want...:combust:

Mo,

No prob, respect.

Will you be elbowing those fans that do want to dance? Doubt it, you sound cool.

In fact, there were a few guys to my left that were smoking weed the entire time. Those guys weren't jumping around or singing at all, trust me, but they weren't playing pogo cop either.

Reading comprehension is lacking among some of the contributors here, so please let me reiterate that my original rant was mainly against one particular fool who tried to control everyone around him that was pogoing during U2's uptempo numbers.

Everyone on in the front row against the rail didn't dance at all, mainly because they really couldn't.

Despite my apparently singular activity, I still managed to take over 150 excellent photos of the proceedings, and I managed to remember pretty much every song in both shows, in order.

Then again, I don't smoke weed, so that probably helps.

Let me get this straight. I would be a lame fan if I don't accommodate your behavior in the Ellipse?

Why don't you take a moment and be considerate of those around you who may want to experience U2 without a sweaty slob banging into them all night....

Hey, why don't YOU take a moment consider those around you who may want to experience U2 without a dry clean-cut guy elbowing them all night...

I think it would serve everyone if they eliminated the ellipse. Brings out the worst in all in my opinion.

I would take chairs back on the floor, us American's can't handle it without bitching at each other.

Wrong, the Ellipse was FANTASTIC.

99% of the people in there were great, including the sweaty slobs and the dry clean guys.

"Americans can't handle... blah blah blah"

Whatever, dude.

Another Day said:
Hey, why don't YOU take a moment consider those around you who may want to experience U2 without a dry clean-cut guy elbowing them all night...

Was he really "elbowing"?

Or were you jumping into his elbows?

I was in the Ellipse, on the rail in front, and managed to jump up and down all night without having to warn my fellow Ellipse members.

Gee, we must've been "jumping into his elbows".

Some people have big elbows! Boy howdy!

Hey nbcrusader, let us stand next to you next time. You sound like a party.

We'll try not to jump into your elbows, or your knees, for that matter... I have been chastened by the collective wisdom of the U2 masses, forgive me.

Another Day - I liked your post and the little jokes thrown in as well. And I agree. I am a hardcore U2 Freak and have never been blessed w/ scoring GAs. But I can assure you, I'd be pogoing and hope that the rest of the folks in GA are w/ me.

I agree, if you don't jump around and get loose in GA, then trade w/ me, I'd be happy to take your GA ticket and you can sit in my nosebleed seat.

Hey Numb1075,

What the hell are YOU doing here? This place is only for the real hardcore U2 fans, not hooligans like you.

Pogoing? Punk is dead, didn't anyone tell you, yet?

If you insist upon pogoing, the Ellipse is only for fans who pogo in one place... you are not allowed to touch other people, or else they might 'kick your fucking face in'.

If you pogo next to me and touch me, I will call security on your ass.

I paid a lot of cash on eBay for these tickets just so all my friends will be jealous of me, and I don't want some Yankee fan ruffians from New York coming in there to destroy my personal bubble.

And, last, but not least, please don't enjoy my 'little jokes'. This is a serious forum for serious fans, take your lame 'little jokes' to the Three Stooges website if you think it's so damn funny.

PS. I coming out for MSG 1 & 2, see you in the Ellipse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom